PDA

View Full Version : Assisted Suicide in Emmerdale

alan45
22-02-2011, 00:51
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01256/SNN2203LA-6824_1256388a.jpg

A PARALYSED character in Emmerdale is to die in a controversial assisted suicide storyline, The Sun can reveal.
Jackson Walsh's mother and his lover crush a lethal dose of tablets in a drink.

The ITV1 soap, watched by eight million viewers, was slammed last night by campaign groups who fear the producers are using the plot just to "chase ratings".

Jackson, played by Mark Silcock, 22, was injured in a road smash last year. He will ask boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) and mum Hazel (Pauline Quirke) to help end his life.

An Emmerdale insider last night said: "Jackson will start discussing plans to end his life in the next few weeks.

"His resolve to see it through will strengthen, which will lead to many rows and emotional scenes.
"Throughout the plot, there will be a phone number on screen for a helpline for anyone affected."

Industry watchdog Mediawatch-UK slammed the storyline. Spokesman David Turtle said: "Emmerdale has been trying to push the boundaries for some time just to boost ratings. It's a soap, not a serious discussion about a serious topic."

Alistair Thompson, of the Care Not Killing Alliance, said: "I hope this is done for the right reason and not to chase ratings."

In 2000 EastEnders character Ethel Skinner took morphine pills, aided by friend Dot Cotton.

Assisting a suicide can lead to 14 years' jail.

An Emmerdale spokeswoman said last night: "We do not confirm or deny speculation about future storylines."

thestud2k7
22-02-2011, 02:48
oh no i dont want jackson to leave :crying:

but emmerdale will do it justice

Chloe O'brien
22-02-2011, 10:58
They did the assisted suicide story a few years ago when Sam helped his cancer ridden wife to die and Cain took the blame and did a bunk. I don't want Jackson to leave I was kind of hoping for some major fundrasing event to send him to America for life-saving surgery which would help him to walk again.

Perdita
18-03-2011, 16:51
Emmerdale's Marc Silcock, Danny Miller and Pauline Quirke have just spent four days shooting scenes on location in the North Sea.

The soap stars, who play Jackson Walsh, his boyfriend Aaron Livesy and his mum Hazel Rhodes, have been getting some sea air filming on a boat in Whitby.

Danny, who plays tough guy Aaron, was pictured leaning over the side of the boat looking a bit green around the gills, prompting co-star James Thornton (who plays John Barton) to tweet: "Danny Miller is seasick. Very funny. Head up lad."

But a source from the soap insisted all the actors had survived their time at sea without suffering any seasickness.

Jackson already has more than enough to deal with as he struggles to accept being paralysed from the neck down after a car accident.

It has been rumoured he'll get involved in an assisted suicide storyline, and the top secret plot has left some guessing what he is doing on a boat.

But a spokeswoman for the soap said: "They are not filming exit scenes for Jackson."

PA

Chloe O'brien
18-03-2011, 20:10
Maybe there on a holiday together.

Perdita
03-04-2011, 18:31
Emmerdale favourite Marc Silcock has claimed that his departure from the ITV soap at the conclusion of an assisted suicide storyline will be "an exit people will remember".

Viewers will see the 22-year-old's paraplegic character Jackson Walsh ask his boyfriend Aaron (Danny Miller) and mother Hazel (Pauline Quirke) to help him end his life in an upcoming plot.

Speaking to the Boston Herald, Silcock revealed that his final scene as Jackson will be filmed on May 14th and air on ITV1 sometime the following month.

He also urged fans to make the most of the short-lived optimism displayed by Aaron and Jackson as they attempt to adapt to his character's life-changing injuries, which were sustained in last October's dramatic train crash.

"There is a large time where [Jackson and Aaron] are happy together because we decide to go, 'Okay, we'll give it a go. We'll see what kind of life we can have'," he said. "That's something people can look forward to. There's going to be lots of laughs, lots of jokes... We are going to see a bright light of shining happiness - for a while.

"When that comes to an end, we'll start discussing the issues that people will understand a bit more and appreciate a bit more."

Pressed for his on views on assisted suicide, Silcock argued: "Why shouldn't you have that choice? If you've had an accident, why should you be kept in a prison cell for a crime you haven't committed? You should have the choice.

"You're trapped in a body for something you didn't do. There shouldn't be such an uproar around it. It shouldn't be such a taboo subject."

He added: "We believe what we're going to be talking about is something that needs to be talked about and hasn't been talked about in British TV, let alone a soap, and that's really important for me, to really think that a really unappreciated subject will be brought to the forefront."

Although he refused to confirm whether Jackson will have his wish to die granted by Aaron and Hazel, Silcock promised: "I think it's going to be an exit people will remember."

So he is leaving the show :(

layla
03-04-2011, 18:37
I am sorry to see that this story will end in an assisted suicide. Was hoping it would not go down that path.

tammyy2j
03-04-2011, 18:46
I better get the tissues ready

Perdita
05-04-2011, 11:46
Jackson Walsh's departure from 'Emmerdale' will be "an exit people will remember".

Last month it was revealed that the tetraplegic former builder - who lost the use of his limbs following a horrific road crash in the ITV1 soap last year - will beg his doting mother Hazel (Pauline Quirke) and boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) to help him end his life by administering a lethal dose of tablets in his drink and actor Marc Silcock hopes his plight will be thought-provoking for viewers.

He said: "I think it's going to be an exit people will remember.

"We believe what we're going to be talking about is something that needs to be talked about and hasn't been talked about in British TV, let alone a soap, and that's really important for me, to really think that a really unappreciated subject will be brought to the forefront."

The 22-year-old actor also revealed that fans of his character can take some comfort in that there will be some happy times for him and Aaron before he decides he wants to end his life.

He promised: "There is a large time where [Jackson and Aaron] are happy together because we decide to go, 'OK, we'll give it a go. We'll see what kind of life we can have'. That's something people can look forward to. There's going to be lots of laughs, lots of jokes... We are going to see a bright light of shining happiness - for a while.

"When that comes to an end, we'll start discussing the issues that people will understand a bit more and appreciate a bit more."

Though Jackson begs his mother and lover to help him end his life, show chiefs have remained tight-lipped on whether they will grant his request.

(C) BANG Media International

Chloe O'brien
09-04-2011, 23:27
I am sorry to see that this story will end in an assisted suicide. Was hoping it would not go down that path.

Me too. This is going to be a very emotional story. I was hoping that Jackson would get some feeling back or he could have some life-saving operation but it looks like another funeral in the dales and perhaps Hazel or Aaron going to jail for their part.

Perdita
26-04-2011, 21:58
Marc Silcock has spoken about filming a skydive for an upcoming episode of Emmerdale, saying that he wanted to do it to stay true to his character Jackson.

In recent months, viewers have seen Jackson Walsh deal with being diagnosed with tetraplegia as a result of a dramatic car crash, leading to him telling boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) and mother Hazel Rhodes (Pauline Quirke) that he wants to die.

As Aaron and Hazel attempt to prove to Jackson that life is worth living, the troubled former builder agrees to go on a skydive - something which Silcock opted to shoot for himself, rather than have a stuntman take his place.

"I had no desire whatsoever to do a parachute jump in my lifetime," the actor told TV Times. "But it was important for the storyline to show Jackson how good life could be.

"That's why I decided to do it. I knew it would be much better if they filmed me doing it for real."

Silcock explained: "With every scene I do as Jackson, we have to talk about it a lot beforehand. If I move a millimetre, then I am not doing my job properly. If I were really a tetraplegic doing a sky dive, I wouldn't be in the same harness I was in. They had to think of a way to strap me in and stop me from moving."

He added: "All the emotion you see on screen at the landing from me, Pauline Quirke and Danny Miller was genuine because we were all so glad that it went safely and we managed to do it. When I landed we shot straight away, so I had to remember the lines immediately, which was interesting!"

Silcock will leave Emmerdale in May this year and has promised that Jackson's final scenes will be "memorable".

DS

Chloe O'brien
29-04-2011, 13:46
Do you think he will die from an infection rather that taking his own life.

thestud2k7
29-04-2011, 19:00
Do you think he will die from an infection rather that taking his own life.

i think i'd perfer that but i still think he will take his own life

Chloe O'brien
30-04-2011, 17:26
i think i'd perfer that but i still think he will take his own life

Yeah sadly Stud I think you maybe right.

Perdita
16-05-2011, 14:57
Emmerdale star Danny Miller has expressed gratitude over his long run of high-profile storylines on the soap.

Since late 2009, fans of the ITV1 drama have seen the 20-year-old's character Aaron Livesy come to terms with his sexuality and embark on a turbulent relationship with Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock). Most recently, Aaron has struggled to accept Jackson's wishes after he revealed that he wants to die due to his paraplegia.

Speaking to Digital Spy on the red carpet at the British Soap Awards, 'Best Actor' winner Miller commented: "I'm always honoured to work for Emmerdale and to get storylines that people don't always get to have at such a young age, working on a big soap, so I'm honoured that the bosses at Emmerdale have given us the opportunity to play out some massive storylines."

Discussing the recent scenes for the assisted suicide plotline, he continued: "They've been tough - any emotional scenes are tough to do, but we've enjoyed it and we've played out what we think is a believable story."

Miller also hinted that Aaron is unlikely to have any new love interests for the foreseeable future.

"I think that's the least of things on his mind at the moment," he said. "I don't think he's interested in any relationships at the moment."

The British Soap Awards air on Wednesday at 8pm on ITV1.

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2011, 15:09
I'm glad Danny won best actor. He is one of the few young actors in soapland that put's his heart and soul into the character.

xcarlyx
16-05-2011, 19:08
I am glad he won best actor too.
Jackson's crash was moving aswell.

alan45
21-05-2011, 17:07
Emmerdale favourite Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) will embark upon a "long and deeply meaningful journey" after helping his paraplegic lover Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) to die, the show's producers have stated.

Discussing the aftermath of the ITV1 soap's assisted suicide storyline, Stuart Blackburn and Steve November teased that Jackson's mother Hazel (Pauline Quirke) will continue to be haunted by the decision to help end his life.

The pair are quoted as saying in a joint interview with Soaplife: "For Hazel and especially Aaron [Jackson's death] is only the start of their story. In the case of Aaron, his is a long and deeply moving journey to the tragic realisation that despite everything he had believed, he and Hazel have ultimately done the wrong thing at the wrong time.

"What Aaron comes to understand is that Jackson had a life worth living and should have been given - despite all his protestations - the time and space to understand this for himself."

Blackburn and November also spoke of their desire to spark "constructive debate" amongst viewers with the controversial and moving plot.

They said: "We are proud of the way we have tackled this story and it is our hope it will make people think about this sensitive issue. We hope the story will create a constructive debate and our audience will be challenged in a positive way."

Silcock previously declared that "people will remember" Jackson's exit from the show.

Chloe O'brien
22-05-2011, 12:43
I wonder how Hazel will do it. Maybe she'll suffocate him with a pillow or something as Hazel will have to end Jackson's life even if drugs are involved it will not be assisted because Jackson can't do anything for himself. This is going to be heartbreaking for all three characters.

Perdita
05-06-2011, 11:54
A charity has criticised Emmerdale's current assisted suicide storyline.

The plot sees Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) help to end Jackson Walsh's life, but spinal injuries charity Aspire has warned that it could cause a "great deal of hurt".

Director of Services Alex Rankin said: "The storyline has been negative, unrealistic and pretty inaccurate. I've watched it very closely and have been incredibly disappointed with how Emmerdale have portrayed Jackson's situation.

"People with spinal injuries are not ill, they do not need to spend all their time in bed being spoon-fed soup. Emmerdale had a great opportunity to be inspirational with this storyline, to show that people who suffer similar injuries to Jackson's can, after much adjustment, go on to live a fulfilling life.

"What worries me is that it's basically saying that life with a spinal injury is not worth living. I don't think they've considered how those people in Jackson's situation will feel when they watch it. I think it's going to cause a lot of people a great deal of hurt."

An Emmerdale spokesman insisted that the story will be told "with integrity", adding: "We approached Aspire, keen to inform them about this storyline, and we welcomed their feedback which was fully taken on board."

Actor Marc Silcock recently described his character Jackson's departure as "an exit people will remember".

Perdita
05-06-2011, 14:45
Emmerdale star Marc Silcock has insisted that the soap does not want to promote assisted suicide with its current storyline.

The actor plays quadriplegic Jackson Walsh in the show, who this week chooses to die with the help of boyfriend Aaron (Danny Miller).

"We always knew what the end was going to be," he told the Boston Herald. "We didn't know how the characters would play out and how well-received they would be. To be brutally honest, the final two episodes are pretty horrific, and we tried to make them that way.

"We don't want one person for a minute to think that [Jackson's decision] is correct. I am an advocate for the idea for the right to die, but I believe the show has covered all the aspects of the storyline and covered all the bases. We're not saying that we believe that this is right; we are showing what these three people believe at the moment.

"We didn't want to glorify it and make it a beautiful thing. That's not reality. In reality, helping someone kill themselves would be a hideous thing, and we try to show that as best as possible."

Spinal injuries charity Aspire recently called the plot "negative, unrealistic and pretty inaccurate"

Perdita
07-06-2011, 19:38
Emmerdale screened Jackson Walsh's final episode this evening as his lover Aaron Livesy helped him to die, bringing the character's tragic journey to an end. Exact details of what to expect from the heartbreaking episode had been kept tightly under wraps until transmission, but show bosses have now released an in-depth Q&A with Marc Silcock, who played Jackson, focusing on his time at Emmerdale and final storyline. Here, Soap Scoop presents the full interview.

What has been the highlight of your time in Emmerdale?
"I think there are two highlights for me - firstly getting to work with people like Dominic Brunt, Mark Charnock and obviously Danny and Pauline. I have learned so much from them all. Also, a massive highlight for me was when Gavin [our late series producer] told me I was going to be doing this storyline. My contract was extended at the middle of last year and he sat me down in his office and told me this was what he wanted to do with the character. Gavin asked if I wanted to do it or not, and I asked him if he thought I could. He just said, 'I wouldn't be wasting my time otherwise'. I think that's the highlight of the year and a half at Emmerdale."

What was the biggest challenge about playing Jackson?
"I think when I was starting out on the tetraplegia storyline it was the practical side of it - keeping still and monitoring movement and trying to emote something on-screen when you can't use nine tenths of your body. It took time to figure out a way I could give a performance without moving and to give a performance trying to be true to someone in that situation. I was so aware that if I twitched or moved my shoulders or anything, then eight million people would have been saying I wasn't doing my job properly."

Have you enjoyed playing the character?
"It's been an unbelievable 16 months, the best 16 months I've ever had working. I came into Emmerdale and was welcomed in and got to work with some fantastic people. You learn so much working with them. It's been an absolutely unbelievable experience and a great environment because everyone supports each other so much. I've really loved it."

Did you ever imagine the character and his relationship with Aaron would be taken to the hearts of viewers so much?
"No, it never entered my mind. I thought I was there for two or three weeks to help Aaron along and that would be the end of the relationship. The great thing was that the two characters were never stereotyped - they were two characters who just happened to be gay. I think that's why people took to them because they're just two ordinary lads."

What has been the secret behind Jackson and Aaron's popularity as a couple?
"Gavin explained in so much detail what he wanted from the characters and the relationship, so it was laid out for us what we needed to do. Danny and I also talked about how we were going to play it and decided we'd mess about and make fun of each other on-screen. We spent a lot of time talking about how we could play a scene or make something funny, so hopefully that makes Aaron and Jackson feel real as a couple. I think everyone can relate to the two mates they see on-screen, it just so happens that those two mates give each other a kiss at the end of the night."

How did you feel when you were first told about Jackson's accident and how the storyline would end?
"I heard I was going to get hit by a train and I thought, 'Well what a great way to go at the end of my six month contract'. But then Danny, Pauline and I were told what was going to happen afterwards, which was a big shock. I thought I was just being Aaron's boyfriend, I never expected to be given this story, I didn't think I was doing a good enough job to be given it. Thankfully I was given a massive amount of support throughout filming. I realised it was a huge storyline and I took it very seriously."

What research did you do personally for the storyline?
"It was so important for me to speak to someone. There are lots of ways to deal with anger, love and hate but unless you're in Jackson's situation you could never know what it is like. So we went to Pinderfields hospital and I met a guy by the name of Lee, who had just had an accident. He had no reason to come and talk to me, but I'm so grateful he did. I asked him everything and got so much from that one meeting.

"I read a few books too, including some written for carers because you don't realise how much goes into being a carer, what has to be done and checked. Emmerdale put together a pack of information for me with letters from people in that situation, explaining their story too. I spent a lot of time with Andy Walker [who plays Steve] on set too and he was great, explaining details to me."

Which scenes or episodes stand out to you from your time in the show?
"There are two scenes that stand out for me. The scene where Aaron tells Jackson that he's paralysed and will never walk again, and a more recent one that was at the end of the Whitby week, a scene with Jackson and Hazel at the train station. They were both very simple scenes, not much happening really, no-one moves anywhere or argues. In the scene with Hazel, the word suicide is never mentioned. Jackson just says 'you've got to help me'. They were both so beautifully written. The subtlety meant that those words weren't needed, we could show the horror and desperation without them."

Were your last episodes difficult to film? How did you prepare for them?
"We were so busy beforehand filming that I didn't look at the final scenes until we did a read-through at the beginning of the block and it was really the night before filming that I looked at the scene properly. It was three pages long and we had five hours to film it, which is unheard of. It meant we had time to through it in so much detail, so that by the end of the rehearsals we knew exactly what we were going to do. Everyone took it incredibly seriously.

"We usually mess about and have a laugh on set but it was the quietest I've ever heard those studios in the entire time I've been there, because we knew what it meant. We ensured it wasn't beautiful - it is horrific, because it's a horrific thing. Some people might have liked to have seen soft music in the background and for Jackson to slowly drift off to sleep. But that's not reality and not what happens. We didn't want to glorify it for one second. You see the love between the three of them in those scenes, which is beautiful, but what happens is not beautiful in any way.

"Of course some people will like it and some people won't and that's fine. I just hope people will see what's gone into those episodes and I hope people don't break that connection with Aaron, Hazel and Jackson. I hope they feel it and put themselves in that moment. We want people to ask themselves what they would do in Hazel and Aaron's situation."

Did you find it difficult switching off from such an emotional storyline?
"You don't have time to take it home with you because when you get home you've got nine scenes to learn for the following day and two monologue video diaries to film. You have to be able to switch off otherwise you wouldn't last very long. Now that I've finished filming I do watch and think, 'I could've done that scene better'. Of course it's been difficult to film emotionally, but at the end of the day I get to stand up and get in my car and drive home and that's a lot easier than being in that situation for real. I'm very, very lucky."

Will you be watching and following the aftermath for Hazel and Aaron?
"Definitely. I really want to see what's going on, especially to see what Danny and Pauline will be doing. It will be great to see the aftermath and watch it as a viewer without being involved and self-critical."

What's next for you?
"I'd just like to carry on working. I've had a great experience at Emmerdale and I've learnt a lot, I've learnt that the job of acting is not just turning up and getting paid to be on telly. I've learnt that you have to put the work in to get it right. I really do love being in soaps, I love the speed of it, the variation of storylines and the different characters you get to work with. But any job that stretches me or feels like a challenge would be great. I'm open to anything that's interesting and needs work - a character that gets people thinking. I'm waiting to see what comes up. I'm an actor and I'm resting, just like all the other millions of unemployed actors out there!"

How do you feel about being nominated as Best Actor at the TV Choice Awards?
"It's a great thing to be nominated and put forward for. It's great to think people are recognising your work. Obviously it would be lovely to make the shortlist and great to win, but I'm up against loads of people who have had such a great year. Of course it's nice though, to know that the effort that I'm putting in has been recognised."

What do you feel has been your biggest achievement at Emmerdale and what are you proudest of?
"Gavin said to me, people are going to remember this for a very long time. I really hope so. When you're there and doing it you don't really get the time to take a step back and realise how many people are watching. My 16 months have gone really quickly and the studios have become my second home. But I've learnt so much about so many different elements of the job and I'm very thankful."

Perdita
07-06-2011, 20:16
Very well done, in my humble opinion, can't see anyone complaining although I guess there will be :(

tammyy2j
07-06-2011, 21:46
Very well done, in my humble opinion, can't see anyone complaining although I guess there will be :(

Yes it was heartbreaking to watch but excellent acting from Jackson, Aaron and Hazel

Perdita
08-06-2011, 05:51
HIT soap Emmerdale sparked outrage last night after showing a character's shocking assisted suicide TWO HOURS before the watershed.
Viewers saw paralysed Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) being fed a potion of lethal drugs by his gay lover - then die in his mother's arms.

The episode, which went out at 7pm on ITV, provoked furious protests from viewers on Twitter.

One said: "You shouldn't have done that at this time of the day. Kids are watching."

The plot-line has also been blasted for being hurtful to people with paralysis.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3624924/Soap-in-suicide-drug-row.html#ixzz1OenYVUKl

Perdita
08-06-2011, 05:53
EMMERDALE star Marc Silcock has revealed that his character's death scene was deliberately "horrific" to hammer home the reality of assisted suicide.
Shocked viewers last night watched as paralysed Jackson Walsh was fed a cocktail of drugs by distraught gay lover Aaron Livesy.

The lad was then seen sobbing as he died in the arms of his mum Hazel.

But Marc, 22, said producers of the ITV soap wanted to make the scenes as harrowing as possible.

He said: "We ensured it wasn't beautiful - it is horrific, because it's a horrific thing.

"Some people might have liked to have seen soft music in the background and for Jackson to slowly drift off to sleep.

"But that's not reality and not what happens. We didn't want to glorify it for one second.

"You see the love between the three of them in those scenes, which is beautiful. But what happens is not beautiful in any way.

"In reality, helping someone kill themselves would be a hideous thing, and we try to show that as best as possible."

The death scenes have sparked outrage. Last night one furious viewer posted on Twitter: "Why did you put suicide on Emmerdale. It's giving people ideas y'know."

Another asked: "How does assisted suicide, pre-watershed get past the censors on Emmerdale."

Another tweeted: "Love Emmerdale but finding the assisted suicide storyline with Jackson heartbreaking."

But Marc said he was prepared for a backlash - and that the storyline about Jackson was the highlight of his 18 months on Emmerdale.

He said: "I just hope people will see what's gone into those episodes. We want people to ask themselves what they would do in Hazel and Aaron's situation."

The actors got extra time to shoot Jackson's exit from the soap.

Marc - who has also starred in Waterloo Road and Shameless - said: "We had five hours to film it, which is unheard of.

"It meant we had time to go through it in so much detail, so by the end of rehearsals we knew exactly what we were going to do. Everyone took it incredibly seriously.

l"We usually mess about and have a laugh on set but it was the quietest I've ever heard those studios in the entire time I've been there, because we knew what it meant.

"Thankfully I was given a massive amount of support throughout filming. I realised it was a huge storyline and I took it very seriously."

Jackson was left tetraplegic - without the use of his limbs - after his van was hit by a train last year. Since then he has begged Hazel, played by Pauline Quirke and Aaron (Danny Miller) to help him die.

The plot echoes the real-life case of 23-year-old Daniel James, who travelled to Switzerland to die in 2008 after being paralysed by a rugby injury.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3624655/I-wanted-my-Dales-assisted-suicide-scene-to-be-horrific.html#ixzz1OenmutJM

Chloe O'brien
08-06-2011, 10:11
HIT soap Emmerdale sparked outrage last night after showing a character's shocking assisted suicide TWO HOURS before the watershed.
Viewers saw paralysed Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) being fed a potion of lethal drugs by his gay lover - then die in his mother's arms.

The episode, which went out at 7pm on ITV, provoked furious protests from viewers on Twitter.

One said: \"You shouldn't have done that at this time of the day. Kids are watching.\"

The plot-line has also been blasted for being hurtful to people with paralysis.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3624924/Soap-in-suicide-drug-row.html#ixzz1OenYVUKl

There are always going to be some people who just argue about anything just for the sake of it. I watched Emmerdale last night and it wasn't glamourised in anyway. You seen Jackson struggle to swallow the medicine and Hazel and Aaron got their character's feelings just right. Everyone new what was going to happen for weeks now it wasn't a surprise. If veiwers feel they are going to be upset about a story then they shouldn't watch or let their kids watch.

Perdita
08-06-2011, 15:08
Ofcom is to assess complaints about Emmerdale's assisted suicide storyline after receiving overnight complaints.

Last night's episode of the ITV1 soap saw tetraplegic Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) take his own life after drinking a concoction of drugs, given to him by boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller). A tetraplegic is somebody who has suffered a spinal cord injury and has then lost control of arms and legs.

The media regulator has received a handful of complaints about the controversial scenes, broadcast between 7pm and 7.30pm, reports PA. However, a decision on whether or not they breached rules will not be made until the plot and subsequent outcome have played out on screen.

Aspire - a group which works to help people in the UK who are living with a spinal cord injury - has voiced its criticism of the scenes.

"It is no secret that Aspire has been outspoken on this topic since we first had an inkling of where the storyline was heading. Peter Stanford, chairman of Aspire, voiced our concerns in The Daily Telegraph a couple of months back, which caught the attention of the producers of Emmerdale," a statement on the group's website read. "Subsequently we were invited to address our concerns with them at their offices in London.

"As is plain to see, our suggestions that they move away from the suicide storyline and to show his journey back to independence in a positive light fell on deaf ears. Perhaps ratings count for more than reality."

Expanding on its negative view of the plot, Aspire's director of services Alex Rankin continued: "This storyline had the potential to be ground-breaking in its approach to disability, and to challenge misguided opinions on spinal cord injury. Instead, too often, the script has opted for poor stereotypes or sensational misrepresentation.

"I sincerely hope that the 1,200 people who will be paralysed by spinal cord injuries this year, and their families, do not find themselves believing that Jackson's story represents their future."

Silcock had previously insisted that the scenes would be purposely "horrific" so that they did not "glorify" assisted suicide.

tammyy2j
09-06-2011, 11:03
This storyline proves one of the reasons why Emmerdale is best soap

lizann
10-06-2011, 10:29
Such an emotional and heartbreaking storyline but top class acting for all involved especially Hazel

Perdita
10-06-2011, 10:36
Emmerdale's Hazel Rhodes is to be "profoundly affected" by her son's message from beyond the grave.

After assisting tetraplegic son Jackson Walsh in his suicide, Hazel (Pauline Quirke) and Jackson's devoted boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) are already crushed and in a precarious legal position.

However, when they watch a final message Jackson - played by Marc Silcock - left them from beyond the grave, they are pushed even further into the depths of grief.

An insider explained: "Seeing Jackson speaking from beyond the grave has a profound effect on Hazel and Aaron. Only they know the traumatic journey all three of them went through.

"They cling to each other for support because both of them are facing a prison sentence if the law dictates that what they did was a criminal offence."

However, Hazel's problems are far from over when she incurs the wrath of Aaron's mother Chas Dingle (Lucy Pargeter), who can hardly control her anger at her son being involved in the crime, and her woes are added to even further when local vicar Ashley Thomas (John Middleton) tells her he won't let Jackson's funeral take place in the church.

The source added to Inside Soap magazine: "Both Hazel and Aaron have taken it for granted that Jackson's funeral will be held at the local church with Ashley officiating. But given the moral implications of assisted suicide, Ashley has to tell Hazel he cannot condone Jackson's decision."

(C) BANG Media International

Perdita
10-06-2011, 13:47
Emmerdale star Andy Walker has spoken candidly about how his life has changed since he lost the use of his limbs.

The 33-year-old, who made his debut on the soap earlier this year, was left paralysed from the neck down in 2006 after suffering a diving accident while on holiday in Goa, India.

Emmerdale fans have recently seen Walker appear in the role of Steve Kelly, who tried to help regular character Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) come to terms with life as a tetraplegic.

Walker told The Mirror: "Of course it's a negative thing and initially you can't imagine life without moving your arms or legs. There's a lot of adjustment and I've had bad times myself. In the first year I found it hard to get used to having carers. I was impatient, frustrated and I stopped chatting up girls."

However, he added: "I've sailed single-handed across Bassenthwaite in the Lake District and I regularly take my brother's dog for a two-mile walk around our local lake. I go to watch Manchester City, I go to the pub, I travel abroad and I want to play wheelchair football. I'm massively independent and plenty of times I forget I'm in a wheelchair."

Walker, who began filming at Emmerdale in February, currently devotes much of his time to charity work.

"Of course, there are bad days. But in many ways my life is so much better than it was before," he said. "As I got older I found myself caught up in the rat race. Now I spend my days helping other people and it's fantastic. I want to show that you can live life to the full, whatever your situation."

Walker's on-screen character Steve provided a contrast to Jackson, who did not want to live with his disability.

Emmerdale viewers saw Jackson's story come to an end earlier this week as his boyfriend Aaron Livesy and mum Hazel Rhodes helped him to end his own life.

Perdita
14-06-2011, 14:41
Emmerdale's series producer Stuart Blackburn has confirmed that there is a "long journey" ahead for show regular Aaron Livesy in the aftermath of his boyfriend Jackson Walsh's death.

Last week, viewers saw Jackson end his life by drinking a concoction of drugs which were given to him by Aaron (Danny Miller). Jackson had told his loved ones that he no longer wished to continue living with his spinal cord injury, which left him paralysed from the neck down.

Aaron begins to face the consequences of his actions in next week's episodes as he is charged with murder. Jackson's mother Hazel, who was also involved in the incident, is released without charge.

Discussing Aaron's future on This Morning today, Blackburn explained: "There will be a trial. It's going to be a long, long journey for Aaron. We're storylining now right up until October, November - and he's still trying to come to terms with what he's done.

"These are actions that he's taken that he's going to have a lot of remorse and regret about. And the real trial is among the village - people like Chas and Paddy who are having to step up to the mark and the after-effects of this. So there's a long way to go."

Emmerdale's assisted suicide storyline sparked a handful of complaints to the broadcasting regulator Ofcom, while spinal injuries charity Aspire branded the plot "negative, unrealistic and pretty inaccurate". Others, however, have praised the way the conclusion to Jackson's story was handled on screen.

Discussing the reaction, Blackburn commented: "All I can say from my point of view is that it's been brilliant. The one thing we knew we wanted was debate - and that's what we've got. There have been some complaints and some people aren't happy with the way we told it, and we understood that and appreciated it. But I think overall, it's gone down incredibly well and we're now sitting here having an adult debate about the issues it raised."

He continued: "I don't want to go out to offend, and we tried at every level to be as sensitive as we possibly could - and I think we achieved that."

Emmerdale continues tonight at 7pm on ITV1.

Perdita
04-07-2011, 13:08
Aaron Livesy faces one of his darkest periods yet, as he awaits trial for the murder of his boyfriend Jackson Walsh. The assisted-suicide storyline saw Danny Miller's alter ego charged with killing his paraplegic partner last month.

Digital Spy grabbed several minutes with the award-winning actor, as he went between takes, to discuss upcoming court scenes, Pauline Quirke's exit and his thoughts on receiving another 'Best Actor' nod in the TV Choice awards.

How are we going to see things progress for Aaron over the coming weeks?
"You are going to see a side of Aaron which is quite interesting in my opinion; a side that hasn't really been seen before. He's quite determined that whatever will be, will be. He's not interested in anything else other than getting on with life - trying to deal with what's happened and moving on. Onwards and upwards really."

We've heard that he will go on a "long and deeply meaningful journey" now - will this lead to resolution for Aaron?
"Obviously there will be light at the end of the tunnel, but he's got to through the dark patch first. Whatever the verdict is, it'll be [Aaron] having to deal with that and adjust to life [after] the verdict. It's in the judge and jury's hands."

What can you tell us about the trial episodes?
"They are just brilliant episodes, they really are. They're very interesting and we've got some great guest actors in to play the defence and prosecution. They were fantastic. We really enjoyed it. It was different to be able to film something like that in a courtroom, instead of just the village or The Woolpack. It's always nice to get out to location and do some different stuff. It was like filming a drama - really good."

How do you hope things progress between Aaron and Hazel before Pauline Quirke leaves?
"Well I hope that before Pauline goes, they are happy again. Obviously at the moment there's not a lot of laughs because of what's happened. I just want them to be happy again and I want them to share a nice, emotional moment before she goes. We'll see."

Aaron's dark journey is great for you to get your teeth into - are you enjoying it?
"Really enjoying it! It's really interesting actually because I'm receiving my scripts - and not that I'm not normally interested - but I'm just interested in his whole journey now; What's next for him? Where's he going? Where's this leading to? Why is he doing this? Why is he doing that? I kind of feel a bit sorry for him really. He's had a lot happen to him over the past two years. It's great for me to get my teeth into. There's not really much more to say other than the fact that it's interesting and that I'm enjoying it. I really am enjoying myself."

Congratulations on your TV Choice 'Best Actor' nomination - how much does it mean to you to receive recognition from fans and critics?
"It's always nice to receive an award. It's one of those things... but I've got a big team behind me here at Emmerdale and I think it's nice for us all to get recognition through one person or through two people. It's nice for the other guys to sit back and see that we're getting recognised now; people are voting for us. It's such an honour and a privilege. I think a lot of people forget just how much of an honour it is to be even nominated, let alone to win something. If you win, you get out there and you win an award, you've got to be over the moon that people have been moved by your performances and have taken the time to go on the internet and vote for you."

Emmerdale is bidding farewell to a number of faces over the coming months - can we expect to see Aaron remain in the village?
"You can, yes! I'm not looking to go anywhere at the moment. I'm happy. I've got good friends, good storylines - why would I want to go? I'm perfectly happy where I am; so no plans to go anywhere."

Miller is nominated for TV Choice's 'Best Actor' award alongside Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald, Coronation Street), Shane Richie (Alfie Moon, EastEnders) and Emmett J Scanlan (Brendan Brady, Hollyoaks).

Perdita
04-07-2011, 15:19
Former Bad Girls actor James Gaddas will lead the guest stars who will appear in Aaron Livesy's upcoming Emmerdale trial.

The mechanic - played by Danny Miller - appears in court late this month, after he was charged for his part in the assisted suicide of his paraplegic boyfriend Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock).

Gaddas, best known for his role as Larkhall prison governor Neil Grayling, previously appeared in Coronation Street as Vinny Sorrell, who had an on-off relationship with Rovers Return landlady Natalie Barnes (Denise Welch).

"I was delighted to be approached to appear in these episodes and really moved by the performances," the 51-year-old actor told the show's official website. "The scenes in the courtroom are very hard hitting and it was a privilege to be involved."

While Gaddas takes on the role of the prosecutor, Benidorm actor Tony Maudsley will play Aaron's lawyer. Meanwhile, Mary Jo Randle - whose credits include The Bill, Wire in the Blood and Silent Witness - will appear as the judge.

Miller acknowledged the guest cast for their contributions to the "brilliant" episodes, telling Digital Spy: "We've got some great guest actors in to play the defence and prosecution. They were fantastic."

Perdita
06-07-2011, 16:02
Emmerdale's Pauline Quirke has said that her character Hazel Rhodes fears Aaron Livesy will be sent down for his part in Jackson's assisted suicide.

The mechanic - played by Danny Miller - handed his boyfriend the fatal cocktail of drugs when Hazel was unable to see it through. Quirke told Soaplife that the grieving mother feels "terribly guilty" for leaving the responsibility to Aaron.

Quirke said: "They were going along with what Jackson had planned. Hazel thought it was all going to be OK because Jackson had made sure it was. She was just thinking about what he wanted - everything else afterwards came as a huge shock."

Of Aaron and Hazel's bond, Quirke explained that the teenager is a source of comfort for Hazel. "They're the two people in this world that went through it," she said. "He reassures her it's all going to be all right. Obviously there are still a lot of doubts in her mind, but they have a close relationship."

However, with Aaron charged with Jackson's murder and facing trial later this month, the former Birds of a Feather star said that Hazel is "starting to panic".

"She's terrified she's going to fall to pieces in the witness box," Quirke said. "She feels under immense pressure to get it right, but to be honest she doesn't know what the hell's going to happen."

Adding that Hazel will be "devastated" if Aaron is sent down, Quirke concluded: "She feels terribly guilty she wasn't able to do what Jackson wanted at the last minute and that her act of letting Aaron give the drink to Jackson turned everything on its head.

"So whatever guilt she's got for what's already happened she will have that on top. As she says: 'I've already lost one boy. I don't want to lose another...'"

Miller recently told Digital Spy that he hopes to see Aaron and Hazel "happy again" and sharing a "nice, emotional moment" before Quirke departs the ITV1 soap.

Perdita
23-07-2011, 14:23
Emmerdale star Danny Miller has described himself as the Wayne Rooney of the show.

The actor, who won Best Actor at this year's British Soap Awards for his role as Aaron Livesy, explained that although he is often highlighted as a reason for the soap's continuing success, many people contribute to it.

"I am shy about my success," Miller told The Sun's Buzz magazine. "It's like football - Wayne Rooney is always the one who's picked out at Manchester United even though there's a whole team behind him.

"Anything I do, I do for the show. I don't like being singled out. I was on the verge of becoming a traffic policeman. But then I got the Emmerdale audition. If I hadn't got the role, I'd probably have given up altogether."

Miller added: "I'd love to do a big drama. And obviously film too. In the next few years, I'd like to experience the whole auditioning world."

Following his British Soap Awards success, the 20-year-old has also been nominated in the 'Best Actor' category at this year's Inside Soap Awards.

Perdita
25-07-2011, 16:12
Emmerdale star Danny Miller has admitted that a guilty verdict would be the best option for his character Aaron Livesy at his forthcoming murder trial.

This week's episodes of the ITV1 soap see Aaron's future in jeopardy as the legal case surrounding his boyfriend Jackson Walsh's death is finally examined in court.

Earlier this year, Aaron helped Jackson to die after he repeatedly insisted that he no longer wished to continue living with his spinal cord injury, which had left him paralysed from the neck down.

However, as the trial develops, Aaron slowly finds himself agreeing with the prosecution's case until he finally decides that he did the wrong thing.

Speaking to Emmerdale's official website about the possible outcomes for Aaron, Miller commented: "If he was found guilty and he went to prison, I think he'd be alright because at the end of the day, he would just keep his head down and I think he would just know that he deserves to be there. And he wants to be there - to be punished for what he's done to Jackson.

"If he's found not guilty, it will be a slippy, slippy slope for him because then he has to begin life outside of prison without any punishment - and adjusting to life without Jackson."

He added: "I think it would be worse off for him to be found not guilty than guilty."

Emmerdale's trial verdict will air in Thursday night's double bill.

alan45
26-07-2011, 10:00
Emmerdale's Aaron Livesy faces a very difficult day in court as his murder trial continues in tonight's episode of the soap.

When Jerry takes the stand, he makes sure to paint Aaron (Danny Miller) in the worst light possible as he recalls the mechanic's turbulent history with Jackson, while Adam also fuels the prosecution's case by reluctantly admitting that Aaron confessed to killing his boyfriend.

Later, there's yet another setback for Aaron when a compelling clip from Jackson's video diary is played in court, in which he spoke positively about his long-term future.

As his loved ones realise that it's not looking good, Aaron turns over the day's proceedings in his mind and starts to question himself - did he do the wrong thing after all?

http://i1.cdnds.net/11/28/550w_emmerdale_5981_2.jpg

alan45
01-09-2011, 17:53
Emmerdale star Danny Miller has said that his self-harm storyline is a "massive challenge".

The actor's latest plot sees Aaron Livesy continue to struggle with his role in the assisted suicide of boyfriend Jackson Walsh. Speaking to Soaplife, Miller said that the vulnerable mechanic remains "very angry about everything".

"He's so angry. Hurting himself is pretty scary, but it changes his mood, he's almost happy when he's hurt," he said.

"He's still very angry about everything. He thinks he and Hazel should have given Jackson longer to adapt to his altered life, although Jackson was pleading to die. Aaron loathes himself and he won't let anyone in to help him. The self-harming is how he's dealing with this."

Aaron uses a new punching bag to account for his injuries, which become "a kind of release", Miller explained. He added: "The punchbag is a great cover for his self-harming. When anyone asks why he has cuts and bruises he can make out it's because of the boxing."

Asked what Jackson would think of Aaron's emotional state, the 20-year-old said: "It's gone way beyond that. He doesn't care what Jackson might have wanted. He's so full of self-hatred nothing else matters. He won't stop this until someone steps in. At the moment it's his secret and he likes this."

On his own research into the plot, Miller added: "I've spoken to someone who used to self-harm and now runs a charity to help people who want to stop. I've also done some research on the internet and gone to the website www.selfharm.co.uk. This storyline is a massive challenge. I love it."

Perdita
28-09-2011, 15:17
Emmerdale star Lucy Pargeter has revealed that she is able to switch off from the dark times her character Chas Dingle is currently facing on screen.

Chas has spent the past few months worrying about her son Aaron Livesy's state of mind after he helped his boyfriend Jackson Walsh to die in an assisted suicide storyline.

Aaron, played by 20-year-old Danny Miller, has recently been self-harming as part of his ongoing struggle, which Chas discovers in tomorrow night's double bill when she sees injuries on his chest.

Pargeter told Loose Women of the scenes: "It's kind of the culmination of the storyline, really. It all kicked off when he first arrived with the whole coming out storyline, attempted suicide and then it was Jackson with the assisted [suicide].

"So this is the outcome of that, really. He had the trial and he was found innocent, but he couldn't necessarily be okay after that. I mean, who would be okay after that?"

Asked whether she ever finds the gritty storyline "draining" to play, the actress replied: "It's not necessarily draining for me, but Danny Miller - he has just been amazing. He's had to completely immerse himself. Me playing his mum, it's a lot easier because I'm playing it as if I don't really know a lot about it and it is a surprise for me. So I am kind of removed from it.

"So it's not too bad for me, but there's been a lot of emotional stuff over the past year, which I think has been done very sympathetically and well. And I'm very proud to be part of the show."

Emmerdale continues tonight at 7pm on ITV1.

Angelgirl
21-05-2016, 14:47
Am I the only one who totally hated Jackson for making Aaron do what he did??? I saw it as selfish and cruel, when you consider that Jackson was fully aware of how emotionally troubled Aaron was. He must of known how much guilt and torment he was leaving Aaron with (especially as Aaron was already blaming himself for the accident), and that a poxy video of him saying everything was fine because it was what he wanted, wasn't ever going to be enough. The only person he should have asked to do it was his mum, but I believe that deep down he blamed Aaron for it and this was his way dealing with that. It was emotional blackmail at it's worst.