PDA

View Full Version : Silk

tammyy2j
16-02-2011, 15:10
Maxine Peake and Rupert Penry-Jones star in Peter Moffat's Silk, a new six-part legal drama due to start on BBC One on Tuesday 22 February 2011.

The behind-the-scenes world of barristers forms the foundation for Silk, a new six-part legal drama due to start on BBC One on Tuesday 22 February 2011. The star is Maxine Peake, who plays Martha Costello, a defence barrister applying for silk.

Rupert Penry-Jones plays Clive Reader, who is also mid-thirties like Martha and both are called to the Bar together. Both are applying for silk but Clive knows how to play the game. Neil Stuke plays Billy Lamb, a senior clerk in chambers who has the lives and careers of his barristers under his control. He likes Martha but believes she hasn't a chance of becoming a Queen’s counsel.

Nick Slade, played by Tom Hughes, is Martha's pupil. Niamh Cranitch, played by Natalie Dormer, is Clive's pupil. Both are thrown in at the deep end and must sink or swim. Only one will be taken on as a member of chambers at the end of the series.

In the first episode, Martha is thrown two last-minute cases by senior clerk Billy. The cases are being heard the following morning and Martha stays up all night preparing. The defendants are a burglar and a drugs mule, but Martha has not prepared properly and things start to go wrong in court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzkRJmdjgpI

Perdita
17-02-2011, 13:38
Tuesday 8 March
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE and BBC ONE HD
www.bbc.co.uk/drama
Press pack

Martha defends Mark Draper, a vulnerable teenager accused of cottaging in a men's toilet in a popular park along with two other men, as Peter Moffat's slick, fast-paced legal drama continues. Noah and Clive each defend the other two men.

On the day of the trial, Noah is taken ill and Nick is forced to take his place at the last minute. He is embarrassed when he doesn't know a point of law. When Martha cross-examines the police officer who was surveying the toilets, she discovers that Mark lied to her about never having been there before.

A furious Martha tells Mark that she cannot continue representing him. However, when Michael, Mark's solicitor, spots one of the defendants talking conspiratorially with the police officer in the toilets at court, Martha re-examines that defendant's record. There are many arrests for cottaging but no convictions. Furthermore, the arresting officer is the one in court today. Martha reveals that the defendant is, in fact, part of a honey trap and that the police officer illegally used entrapment in order to make these latest arrests. The judge dismisses the case.

Later, Niamh and Nick defend two dog owners for possessing dangerous animals. This is the first case they've handled and Clive is watching them. While Niamh looks like a natural, Nick struggles to make a proper argument. However, when Nick discovers a crucial piece of information, that his dog is pregnant, he is able argue that she cannot be put down. In contrast, Niamh is unable to save her dog.

alan45
22-02-2011, 01:19
HEART-throb actor Rupert Penry-Jones has defended his portrayal of a cocaine-snorting lawyer in slick new BBC legal drama Silk as "true to life".
Rupert, 40, said his character Clive Reader was like an updated version of Mad Men's hard-drinking, fast-living Don Draper.

He told TV Biz: "It's a modern equivalent of Don Draper having a stiff drink.

"I'm sure there are lawyers out there who snort coke.

"Whether or not they do it in chambers I'm not so sure!"

The plot follows Clive and rival Martha Costello practising criminal law while competing to take silk and become QCs.

Rupert - Adam Carter in BBC1 spy series Spooks - went on: "I'm not too worried because this bloke's not really a cokehead.

"You don't think, 'This guy needs to keep his habit up'.

"He might do it once a month or at the weekend, which I think is very believable in that world. Lawyers are not like rock stars but they are certainly party to it. I think it's very true to life."

Maxine Peake, who plays Martha, was so dedicated to researching her role that she spent her last two birthdays at Kingston Crown Court in South London. She said: "I found a real similarity between acting and being a barrister. It's like you were cut from the same cloth."

The Bolton-born actress, 36, related so much to Martha that she kept her trademark red lipstick on for the role. She said: "It gives her that hint of a spark. It's a bit of warpaint.

"It's funny, but when I read the script there were lots of elements I related to.

"She's a bit different and rock and roll and has managed to keep her own very special personality."

The series was written by ex-barrister Peter Moffat - whose credits include Criminal Justice and North Square - and is based on his own experiences.

It looks certain to ruffle feathers all round with its tales of unscrupulous lawyers and bent coppers.

Moffat says: "I wanted to tell it as it really is.

"The extreme pressure, the hard choices, the ethical dilemmas, the overlap between the personal and the professional.

"It's about principles fought for and principles sacrificed, the machiavellian politics, the sex, the drinking, the whole story. Life at the bar is the richest possible drama territory." Silk's legal adviser Phillipa McAtasney, a London-based QC, said: "The police won't like it that the first officer we see is bent.

"And the cocaine will go down like a lead balloon.

"But look at what percentage of the population takes cocaine and work it out for yourself."

Watching over the drama is struggling practice boss Billy Lamb, played by Neil Stuke.

Also in the thick of the action are Natalie Dormer, who played Anne Boleyn in BBC2's The Tudors, and Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll star Tom Hughes. They appear as students desperate to make it into the profession.

The show was meticulously researched and is the slickest legal drama since 1996 when BBC2's This Life featured five 20-something law graduates embarking upon their careers while sharing a house in South London.

This Life was a huge boost for the careers of Jack Davenport (Miles) Daniela Nardini (Anna) Andrew Lincoln (Egg) Amita Dhiri (Milly) and Jason Hughes (Warren).

Katy
22-02-2011, 07:56
i think that this looks great! I cant wait towatch it, Maxine Peake is just amazing!

Perdita
24-02-2011, 13:48
Tuesday 15 March
www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Martha (Maxine Peake) is unable to take on a case
Martha has been forced to defend Rachna Ali, an Asian policewoman accused of racism, as Peter Moffat's slick, fast-paced legal drama continues. However, at the same time, Mark Draper, the vulnerable teenager that she defended in episode three, has been arrested for murder. Martha wants to take the case but Billy insists Clive does it.

Despite admitting to making the racist comment, Rachna refuses to plead guilty. Suspicious that Rachna isn't telling her something, Martha insists the police officer to whom Rachna made the comment, PC Johnson, is called to testify. Under pressure from Martha, PC Johnson reveals that he wasn't offended by Rachna's comment. The misconduct board find Rachna guilty but decide not to fire her; instead, they let her off with a caution.

Kate tries to garner support to get rid of Billy by getting Clive onside. Smelling a rat, Billy calls on another senior clerk, Keith, from another set of chambers to try to tempt Clive away. Later that night, Keith approaches Clive and offers him a superior position at his chambers. Seriously tempted, Clive goes to make sure Niamh is onboard as his pupil to leave with him. However, on returning, Clive discovers Billy waiting for him. He has been set up. Terrified that Billy could destroy his career, Clive agrees to spy on Kate and John and pass on information to Billy.

alan45
24-02-2011, 15:52
Have to say I hope this gets better. It wasnt as good as I thought it was going to be.

Dazzle
24-02-2011, 16:43
I thought it was awful and had to force myself to watch to the end to see if it improved. Needless to say, I won't be watching again. What a waste of the talented Maxine Peake.

alan45
24-02-2011, 16:45
I thought it was awful and had to force myself to watch to the end to see if it improved. Needless to say, I won't be watching again. What a waste of the talented Maxine Peake.
and Rupert Penry-Jones

I will give it another whirl this week but if it doesnt improve then I will forget about it

Perdita
03-03-2011, 12:58
Tuesday 22 March

www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Martha is given a high-profile prosecution case against Tony Paddick, a school teacher accused of the attempted murder of a pupil, as Peter Moffat's slick, fast-paced legal drama continues. Martha complains about taking a prosecution case, but Billy persuades her it will be good for her Silk interview. Anyway, it should be an easy win as Noah Zeigler, a low-level barrister from their chambers, is defending.

After reading the brief, Martha thinks that attempted murder is the wrong charge and wants to reduce it to grievous bodily harm (GBH). However, she finds herself at loggerheads with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), who won't agree to the change. As the case continues, Martha is able to make Tony Paddick look guilty but she is furious as she sees Noah missing countless opportunities for a good defence. Desperate not to win without a fight, Martha gives Noah a big hint on how to defend the case, but he fails to deliver a killer blow. Subtly, Martha has to do it for him and the jury return a not guilty verdict for attempted murder. However, they do find him guilty of GBH. The CPS are furious and lodge a formal complaint.

At the same time, Martha and Clive have their Silk interviews. Martha discovers she is being interviewed by one of the country's highest-ranking female judges, while Clive finds himself in front of his pupil, Niamh's, father, a retired judge.

Perdita
10-03-2011, 13:10
Tuesday 29 March
www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Martha is preparing for the biggest case of her career – defending Mark Draper, accused of murdering a high court judge – in the concluding episode of Peter Moffat's slick, fast-paced legal drama. Clive is defending Mark's girlfriend, Emma Slater, also accused of the murder. After visiting the scene of the crime, Mark tells Martha the judge attacked him with a golf club and it was self-defence, but Martha tells him there isn't any evidence to support this.

She instructs an expert, Bill Cutler, to look at the golf club. He finds blood on it even though it wasn't found at the scene of the crime. As the case continues, the judge's wife, Helen, gives evidence that suggests Mark is guilty and Emma was an innocent bystander. However, when Martha cross-examines her, Helen is forced to admit that she removed the golf club from the crime scene to protect her husband. Bill reveals that Mark couldn't have stabbed the judge because of the angle of the wound and Martha realises it was Emma who killed the judge. Mark was protecting her; she is pregnant with his child.

With the return of Alan Cowdrey, head of chambers, it is time to discuss the fate of the pupils. They decide to put it to a "moot" and then a chamber's vote.

Meanwhile, solicitor Brian Frogett tells Billy he wants Martha for the Gary Rush case, which Billy agrees to in exchange for extra work from Cant Froggett Solicitors. Billy tries to pressure Martha into giving Alan the murder case so that she can take on Gary Rush, but she refuses. Frustrated, Billy resorts to bribing the List Officer, managing it so that Martha could do both cases, one after the other. When Kate discovers this, she tries to tell Alan but he refuses to listen. Frustrated, Kate turns to Clive and suggests a breakaway set of chambers, with Clive as its new head – as long as he gets silk. However, Clive immediately tells Billy of the plan, emphasising that he doesn't intend to leave.

layla
14-03-2011, 17:04
I have been watching Silk, still not to sure about it.I do like the actress Maxine Peake. But the character Martha is a bit miserable.
Hoping it get better, as there is nothing on the other channels. I have stayed watching it for now.

alan45
18-04-2012, 12:43
http://static.bbci.co.uk/corporate/images/width/live/p0/0r/6x/p00r6xnk.jpg/608

Silk returns to BBC One for a second series, starring Maxine Peake, Rupert Penry-Jones and Neil Stuke.

Introduction with Peter Moffat

"People are saying you only got silk because you're a woman from up north and the Barr is trying to look less male and less posh."

Martha Costello has got silk and it means the stakes are high at every trial she does.

She's at the Old Bailey all the time, the cases matter more and her opponents are bigger beasts: from gangland murder to honour killings, heroin importations and an unlawful death in Afghanistan, every defendant she represents is up against it and all of them need her badly.

The pressure is on. I was thrilled to get the chance to write more about this set of characters - the barristers and the clerks room. The politics gets meatier, more complex and more dangerous, there's more sex and one great big personal story looks like it might change Shoe Lane forever.

New cast members Frances Barber, Phil Davis, Indira Varma and Shaun Evans are heavyweight actors and seeing them alongside Maxine Peake, Rupert Penry-Jones and Neil Stuke is a gift for any writer.

RM

Interview with Maxine Peake
Date: 18.04.2012Last updated: 18.04.2012 at 10.48
Category: BBC One; Drama
Maxine plays QC Martha Costello in the returning series of Silk, for BBC One.

What’s in store for Martha this second series?

Martha has now got Silk. She’s become a QC and the cases are getting weightier. She’s got a few more battles on her hands, so initially I don’t think she is more confident, because she’s trying to reassert her status, but you will see as the series goes on she does appear to become a lot more confident.

She also has a lot more to prove this series. She feels a bit of tension in the Chambers since Clive didn’t get Silk, so there’s a little bit of friction there, although she does feel that she deserves it and she is very appreciative. She always wanted to become a QC, but sometimes it’s a bit frightening when you get what you wish for, isn't it…

And how does Clive take it and how does it affect their relationship?

I think Clive tries to convince himself Martha got Silk for the wrong reasons, because she’s a woman and they need more women at the Barr, or something like that. I think he’s managed to manipulate his own idea of why she’s got it, for his own benefit. But I don’t think Martha looks at it like that, she’s very humble about it, she knows it’s a big achievement; however it’s also a big weight on her shoulders, and I think this makes her feel a bit lonely. Clive’s determined he’ll get Silk next time, so he’s off on a mission, but I think Martha feels like she has no one really to share it with.

There are some new characters this series and Frances Barber appears with Martha in the first episode - how do they meet?

They have a case against each other. Frances’ character CW (Caroline Warwick) is quite infamous for being a bit of a ball breaker, being brilliant at the job and being a woman who doesn’t take any messing because she is a top, top QC. Martha’s slightly petrified when she’s up against her in court, but I think she likes the challenge and I think she’s inspired - inspired because she’s a woman at the top of her game.

I know everyone says it, but I’ve wanted to work with Frances for ages, obviously because she’s a brilliant actress and a lovely woman but also just great fun to be around. She brought a different dynamic to the set, which was brilliant. She kept us all entertained and she plays a fantastic character, she really grabbed it.

Martha comes up against Micky Joy (Phil Davis) in this new series, which goes on to affect her relationship with Billy, can you tell us a bit about that?

Well Billy’s got himself involved with Micky Joy – he is one of these top solicitors who doesn’t play by the rules - but not in a good way. Martha doesn’t want any dealings with him. She doesn’t like the way he works and when she does get involved with the case things begin to go wrong.

Billy, on the other hand, is also trying to save Chambers. When he gets himself into deep water it slightly compromises Martha’s friendship with him.

What first attracted you to Silk as a drama series?

Well I’d just done Criminal Justice with Peter (Moffat) and Hilary (Salmon), and I’d always thought Peter was a fantastic writer. I remember receiving the script and reading the first page where Martha is sat stuffing a robe into a plastic bag whilst lighting a cigarette. I just thought, oh great this is a legal drama, but, here we have a successful female who’s got her foibles and got her faults, but at the same time she’s quirky and she’s human. And then, the more I continued to read the more I liked her - she’s not a typical TV barrister who ticks all the normal barrister boxes, she’s different.

Why do you think legal dramas are so popular?

They're similar to cop dramas and others alike, where the audience can really piece the events together, almost act like detectives themselves and decide how that did happen - who did what, or who’s guilty or not guilty. I find these dramas fascinating - it’s a world that many of us fortunately don’t dip into. The legal system is all around us, but the majority of us don’t have to go into a court, so it’s a way into another world that is unusual.

I think with Silk there’s something there for everyone: it’s a legal drama, but it's human as well - you get to dip into the lives of the barristers and clerks.

Do you think you could work in the legal world in real life?

To be honest, when I was doing Silk I remember thinking I wish I’d known about this when I was younger as it might have been a possibility. But then again, I’m not really bright enough, and the amount of knowledge you’ve got to retain is incredible.

I find it fascinating but I don’t think I’m quite cut out for it! I think I’d get far too involved and that’s what you see with Martha. I think I’d find it really difficult to switch off at night and I think a lot of the barristers do - they seem to work hard and play hard - and I think you sort of have to, because people’s lives are in your hands.

Finally, there are some great cases in each episode - are there any guest stars, who are going to pop up in this series that you can tell us about?

We’ve been very lucky - we’ve got Shaun Evans who’s appearing as Daniel Lomas. He’s recently been in Endeavour playing the young Morse. There’s going to be an episode about a Court Marshall, which is really great because it’s a different court scenario again and Mathew McNulty is representing a soldier, Captain Ryan, and he is brilliant. We’ve also got Jamie Parker coming in that episode as well. We have some great people up coming up in that witness box!

Interview with Rupert Penry-Jones
Rupert Penry-Jones stars as Clive Reader in the returning series of Silk, on BBC One.

What attracted you to Silk as a drama?

It’s about normal people dealing with exceptional situations. The dilemma of a barrister who is defending someone who is guilty or who’s prosecuting someone who might be innocent is always going to be interesting. You get everyday people doing their jobs, working with people who are murderers, you know, shaking hands with a murderer. The show can feature anyone from every walk of life, in any job. It’s like a police show in that respect – there are so many different characters and stories you can draw from and I love that aspect.

Do we see Clive struggle with any moral dilemmas this series?

I don’t think so actually. It’s Martha that seems to have these sort of moral dilemmas really. I don’t think Clive really worries about the morals - his job is to do the best thing for his client. He’s had an argument with Martha about that before - you can’t just get emotionally invested with cases, you just have to do the best you can, do the best for your client and move on. Martha suffers from getting emotionally involved I think.

Are there any tricky cases in store for him?

Well, this series has a case where Clive can’t get the defendant to talk to him – she’s Muslim and he’s a man, so she can’t look him in the eye. She won’t answer his questions, and he doesn’t know how to get round it. The woman ends up having a real impact on him.

What is the relationship like this series between Clive and Martha?

Martha losing the baby has definitely affected them and their relationship. They’re still really close. They confide in each other and I think Clive will always confide in Martha before anybody else, but at the moment Martha is more of a friend or sister. They stand up for each other and they still like being with each other. But who knows, they might have another night together one day…Clive definitely still holds a torch for her!

What’s it been like working on the Silk set second time round?

It’s great! This series is better than the last purely because everyone has settled down and everyone knows what’s what. The fans have been really positive too – they seem to really like the character and see me do something a bit different. We also have a laugh on set so I’ve really enjoyed it. There have been a few tricks played, but it’s not like we’re playing tricks on each other all the time as we’ve not got time to muck about. It’s a very good cast in terms of everybody getting on. That’s one of the main reasons I wanted to come back. Plus I love the character of Clive, so I really was delighted to be back.

Does Clive have any new romantic interests this series?

Well there is a new character George Duggan, played by Indira Varma, who is a solicitor. Clive likes her from the start - but how badly? He definitely wants to get into this girl’s bed…but at the same time he also has his job to do, so you don’t know quite know where it’s going at first.

Do you think Clive is a good lawyer?

I think Clive is a good lawyer yes – I think he is as good a lawyer as Martha. He’s got just as good a chance as Martha of getting a result, and being a defence lawyer’s a bloody hard job. Everyone’s innocent until proven guilty, that’s the way it works in this country, and that’s the way Clive works. Clive wants results, and he wants to become a QC.

Interview with Neil Stuke
Neil Stuke stars as Head of Chambers Billy Lamb, in the returning series of Silk for BBC One.

So Silk is returning to our screens for a second series - tell us a bit about it.

Nobody could’ve known how Silk was going to be received, but it went down really well. I’ve had a lot of barristers coming up to me saying, my God you’re just like my clerk. This second series is incredible and so beautifully written - especially episodes three and four, just exquisite. We’re lucky and I’m constantly texting our writer Peter (Moffat) when I’m reading cases. There was this one case about a vicar who got bullied out of his parish. It’s all just really interesting…

What do you think it is about legal dramas that really appeals to people?

Any drama that involves the audience as the jury is gripping to watch, as you see it from your own view and form your own opinions. One of my favourite writers is Arthur Miller – all his plays are like a court drama, so you’re like the jury. I remember when we did A View from the Bridge in the Royal Exchange, we were in the round theatre and it was almost like being in a court room. I think with these kind of dramas, they almost seem part of our lives.

Are we going to see any more dodgy dealings this series?

There might be some more wheelings and dealings going on! In the first series we used the 'm' word a lot - Machiavellian. Billy, first and foremost, lives and breathes the chambers - it’s the most important part of his life and that’s where he comes from. He really cares about his barristers and his QCs and he would do anything to make sure they are treated how he feels they should be treated, especially Martha. But I’m not going to lie and say he does everything by the book or straight down the line.

Silk often showcases some brilliant guest stars and talent - who can we expect to see this time round?

I worship Phil Davis, along with just about everybody else. We’ve got Frances Barber, Indira Varma, Alex Jennings - it’s kind of the Premier Division, it’s lovely. I have to say that Indi’s a very good friend of mine, and if you know Indi you’ll know she’s absolutely stunning…Clive realises this the moment he meets her in episode one! Obviously for a solicitor and a barrister to get together is not good news, so Billy is frowning upon it.

How would you say the barristers and clerks differ from each other?

Traditionally clerking has been passed down through generations from Dickens’ time. The educational background between barristers and clerks is completely different. These guys are secondary educated wide-boys really! The money they used to earn was incredible – clerks would make a lot more than barristers. They use to be on about 30% - that’s gone down now and they’re not on a percentage any more but they still can earn a lot of money, if not as much as barristers.

And what’s it like behind the scenes in Chambers?

When we all get together in the clerk’s room, it’s all very ‘mate, mate’. Young Theo (Barklem-Biggs) is a lot of fun, and so is John MacMillan - we do a lot of rapping. We all do a drum beat box and sing. We’ve even got a chambers rap! By the end of the day, we were getting on everyone’s nerves and they are like, Ok come on! Quieten down! It all gets a little bit out of hand in the chambers!

How have Clive and Billy been getting on this time round?

There’s much more tension between Clive and Billy this series. But they’ve been together for 17 years and they’ve got a lot of respect for each other. There’s also still a question mark over why Clive didn’t get silk which adds to the tension between them.

Will Billy be facing a lot of changes or challenges in Chambers?

With Billy, you’re seeing a man who’s very set in his ways who is being asked to change. He’s coming up against the Head of Chambers, which is Alex Jennings’ character, and because he’s Head of Chambers there’s nothing Billy can do about it. In the words of Peter Moffat, Billy’s gonna have a hard time this series.

Do you think people trust Billy?

Well there’s always a suspicion that comes with people not trusting Billy. He basically can’t stand the pain! Pain of losing! Or rather not winning - so he’ll do what he can for the Chambers.

Perdita
26-04-2012, 08:07
Ep 1/6

Day and time to be confirmed
BBC ONE

Martha Costello is now Martha Costello QC. The cases are bigger and the stakes are higher, but she learns fast that it can be lonely at the top. Clive Reader, burnt by his unsuccessful silk application, tries to be stoic in his defeat. At Shoe Lane Chambers times are tough, and senior clerk Billy struggles to keep things afloat. Loyalties become divided and friendships are tested in the name of justice.
Martha is defending Brendan Kay, a member of one of London’s biggest crime outfits the Farr Family. He’s accused of blinding a car wash attendant who disrespected their number two, Jody Farr. He’s got the victim’s blood on his shoes and confessed in the back of a police car - it looks like a hopeless case. Martha’s job is made harder because Brendan’s solicitor, Micky Joy, is an old-school player of the system who walks both sides of the line.

She doesn’t like him or the way he operates, but Billy warns her that they need his work to keep Shoe Lane afloat. Martha is up against a notorious QC, Caroline Warwick, nicknamed Lady MacBeth for her uncompromising and vicious approach in court. As Martha feels herself pulled by the various political forces around her, she realises to win she will need an all or nothing defence.

Meanwhile Clive takes on a sensitive case with a new solicitor, the fiery and passionate George Duggan, and is pleasantly surprised when he finds that he’s more than met his match.

Perdita
03-05-2012, 13:02
Ep 2/6

BBC ONE

Martha is representing Captain Ed Ryan in a Court Martial. He’s accused of disobeying an order, resulting in the death of a 19-year-old private.

Under the watchful eyes of Ryan's distraught family, who want answers, Martha navigates the army’s legal system with the help of Captain Cassidy - Ryan’s Unit Defence Officer and friend.

Martha doggedly seeks the truth which she believes is hidden beneath words of loyalty and honour. As she peels back the layers of past and present wounds, the shocking reality of modern combat is revealed.

For Clive, temptation is never far away: Caroline Warwick offers him some juicy prosecution work to help his silk application and Billy warns him to keep his relationship with George Duggan purely professional - but could this act as a red rag to a bull?

Perdita
10-05-2012, 13:10
Ep 3/6

BBC ONE

Clive is in Oxford to prosecute three male students accused of sexually assaulting a young waitress.

He is up against three silks who employ playground tactics. Clive begins to lose his nerve, but a chance encounter with his old friend Ed Marmor bolsters his confidence and he discovers a passion for prosecuting which he didn’t know he had. When his client’s honesty is called into question and with the case in danger of collapsing around him, Clive is faced with one of the biggest decisions of his professional career.

In a case that echoes Clive’s, Martha is defending Ricky Armitage, who has trashed his local mini-mart and attacked the shopkeeper. His violence and lack of remorse are astounding, yet Martha can see that he was fated to walk on a self-destructive path and decides that she will try to divert him.

Perdita
15-05-2012, 12:06
Silk's back tonight... and of course you can't have a chambers without a clerk! That means we get to say hello again to Billy, played by Neil Stuke. He survived the attempted coup last series but what can we expect this time round?

To find out, Digital Spy caught up with Neil on set to talk about Billy's "nefarious" deals, why he wants a Martha-Billy romance, and why he thinks Silk has been such a success...

Are you glad to be back?
"Yeah, definitely. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's good. Very good. It feels really good."

What can we expect for Billy this series? A faction tried to get him out last time!
"There was a coup, yes. Yeah. No, Billy stays and that's that. So I don't really know what happens, I can't really tell you!"

Billy has a lot of power though.
"He runs everything basically, so there's just more of that, really. And getting rid of the people involved in the coup and starting again, yeah!"

We've seen Billy's not averse to a bit of bad behaviour - will we see more of that?
"It's not too bad so far. A bit of wheeling and dealing, you know. A bit of underhand, nefarious deals here and there!"

What can you tell us about the relationship between Billy and Phil Davis's character?
"He's a solicitor, yeah. I think they've got a mutual respect for each other. So they're both pretty hardnosed characters. The thing is being a solicitor, we have to kind of court him, so there's a certain amount of Mickey getting the upper hand on Billy. So it's quite interesting. But they're very similar."

Mickey works for a criminal family... It doesn't sound like Martha would be happy with that.
"I'm not sure Martha's keen to work with Mickey full stop, really!"

Do you think Billy is happy Martha got silk?
"She was his favourite, for sure. But you know, he's been with Clive Reader for 17 years. They've all been together as a team. So I'm sure he'd like to see Clive as a silk as well. But don't forget Clive was possibly going to be the shiny new silk at the other break-off group's chambers."

We've heard there's a dilemma about whether the chambers should do more prosecuting - what's Billy's take on it?
"Billy's stance is that they are just defending only, and that's how we should be. So that's causing a bit of tension between Alan Cowdrey, who's the head of chambers, and myself."

Have you had much of a response to the show from members of the legal profession?
"Yeah, I mean I've got quite a few lawyer friends and they've said the clerks really love it. They really like Billy and they thought it was a good portrayal. Quite a few people have said that they've got clerks that are similar and a friend of mine who's a lawyer works at Peter's Chambers and knows the clerk that Billy was based on, who isn't there anymore. But it was based on this kind of legendary clerk."

Do you think there's a danger that Billy can only walk the line he's been treading for so long?
"I don't know. I thought there was a possibility that Billy was going to become hard and tough and harder drinking and all that stuff. I don't know whether that's going to happen, but I think they're trying to keep Billy very much the same as the first series, really. I was quite shocked with how far we took it in the first series - I was worried that it was too far."

In what respect?
"I thought it could potentially be a bit unbelievable but actually it wasn't at all. That was my own insecurities as an actor! And I think they just want us to carry on making sure that it does sort of walk that line."

He's very good at his job.
"Well, yeah. And he cares passionately about the chambers, which is really important, I think!"

Did you have anyone that you had in mind when you were playing Billy?
"Not really. I mean, he's an amalgamation of various different people but I remember trying very hard to not emulate Phil Davis because I knew you lot would compare me!"

How has the set changed with stars like Frances Barber and Phil joining the show?
"I think it's great actually. We've certainly got to all step up a gear with that lot around. I think it's great. I don't have anything to do with Frances. It's only Phil, really. Indira Varma is playing George - it's really exciting, I think. Very exciting. It keeps everyone on their toes."

Do you think there's a nice double act with Billy and Jake (Theo Barklem-Biggs)?
"Yeah, we're sort of investigating that. We're sort of looking into that. It's quite fun, it's quite good fun. The only problem with that is he has to be believable as somebody who could potentially run chambers, so we're always monitoring how far we can go with that, because if he seems too ridiculous... Having said that, it is nice to have a bit of light relief!"

Are we going to see more of Billy outside the chambers?
"You're going to, apparently. I can't tell you! I don't think the other actors know, either... You may see a softer side to Billy!"

Are you pleased about that?
"I'm not saying anything!"

Have you ever considered going into the legal profession yourself?
"I think I probably nearly ended up in prison a few times! No, I was a bit of a tearaway when I was younger, so going to drama school was a really good thing because it sort of calmed me down a bit. When we were at chambers and stuff, we really found that they worked in a very similar way to an acting agency. The clerk was sort of the conjuror for the barristers, so the clerk would get the work for the barristers.

"And when we hung out in the offices, there were clearly people they preferred, there were clearly people who were doing better than other people, there were star players and, I quote, 'dead wood' - that's how one of the clerks described some of the lawyers! And there were people who they really wanted to retire who were refusing to retire. So there were always really interesting similarities that we found with an acting agency. And they really enjoy the competition as well, the clerks. But no, God, I's thick, innit? I couldn't possibly be a lawyer!"

Have the people from the chambers you visited given you any feedback?
"They came to the screening. I wasn't there sadly. They loved it, they absolutely loved it. I mean, they're a bunch of nutters, clerks! They are nutters. They really go for it - they work hard, play hard. They're real proper boys. Very flash, incredibly flash. I mean, they're much more flash than we are. I think if we did it exactly how they are, no-one would believe us! You think, 'My God, we're underplaying it!'"

How similar are you to Billy?
"I don't know, really. That's a very personal question! No, I'm not that hard. I'm just not as hard. I think I probably used to be. No, but he's sort of unrelentingly... Martha really likes Billy. Me and Maxine always hope that Martha and Billy, something's going to happen. I would love that. Billy's married and he's got kids, so it would be very wrong. But I think he does fancy her. She definitely fancies Billy, there's no question about that!"

It's an interesting dynamic, since they employ Billy but he has all the power. Is that fun to play?
"We often use the word Machiavellian with Billy. I've given up saying that now! But I think it's always enjoyable in any walk of life playing somebody who's got a certain amount of power. You know, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know whether that power's going to ebb away or whatever. I'm not sure what Moffat's got up his sleeve. It was good, I think he always tries to... People try to see how well he can cope under this kind of pressure so that's fine. I suppose it has to be like that otherwise you just get this very solid character right the way through. We try and bring a little softness into him."

Why do you think the first series captured people's imaginations?
"Oh, I don't know. I just think it's just quality drama. If I'm talking separately as a viewer and someone who pays the BBC to produce programmes, I'd say it's just quality drama. It really isn't rocket science. I think everyone's just desperate for quality and as soon as it happens people just swallow it up. I think a lot of the programmes are just intellectually not very stimulating. It's very good, don't get me wrong. It's really, really well done, great cast, all of that stuff. But I think it's as simple as that, really. You look at what happened when Life on Mars came out - there was an extraordinary reaction just because it was intelligent. And I don't know about you guys, but that's what I want from the BBC - I just want intelligent drama.

"It's like an Arthur Miller play. Like all great plays, you should be the jury, really watching what's happening. And I think that's a very good analogy, especially as we're doing a programme about law. One should feel like one is part of the jury, and it really has that. It's good, gripping stuff."

Nothing's black and white in Silk, is it?
"No, no that's true. And I think it does have quite a few advantages over other sort of legal dramas. I don't think we quite knew - we all knew it was good. The reaction was extraordinary. People in the street and wherever I go now just really, really love it. The only complaint we had about Silk was that it was only six episodes. You know straight away when a script is good for sure, but then you can do good scripts and not much happens.

"So I think we were all just thinking, 'This could be great' and luckily it was. I think we'd all agree that we'd done stuff where you think it's going to be great and somehow it hasn't ended up [that way]... I have to say the reaction to Silk was extraordinary and obviously I just do think it's because people are just crying out for, 'Give me something intelligent and I'll respond'."

Would you like to star in more Silk?
"Oh God yeah!"

Perdita
17-05-2012, 09:52
Ep 4/6

BBC ONE

Martha finds herself in a David and Goliath battle, representing the driver of a high security prison van.
When a group of prisoners escape from his van, Michael Ward opens the doors to find another, younger prisoner dead - and he and his firm are held to be responsible. Working alongside his company’s legal team, Martha is incensed to discover that they have no intention of supporting her client. Unless he starts standing up for himself it looks like Ward will become the fall guy.

Chambers take on a new pupil, Daniel Lomas, who helps Martha to get through to her client. Meanwhile Clive is struggling to get through to Fatima Ali, who has convinced herself that she’s responsible for the death of her brother. Billy, still feeling the pressure from Micky Joy, investigates Caroline Warwick and starts to uncover hidden truths.

Perdita
24-05-2012, 10:49

Perdita
24-05-2012, 10:49
Ep 5/6

BBC ONE

Martha is representing Jackson Henderson in a death row case at the Supreme Court. Briefs don’t come with higher stakes than this. But Billy is worried; he knows the emotional strain a case like this will have on her, plus Micky is still pursuing her for Jody Farr.

With the clock ticking until Jackson’s execution in Jamaica, Martha faces one of the toughest legal arguments of her career.

The day of Fatima Ali’s trial looms, and Clive increasingly feels that he’s not the right barrister for her. At the risk of losing George, Clive persuades Martha to take the brief instead, conveniently leaving him free for the trial of his career, prosecuting Jody Farr.

Martha knows unless Fatima speaks up for herself, the truth will never come out. Just as she thinks the case is lost, Martha is offered a deal with the Devil in return for Fatima’s freedom…

Perdita
31-05-2012, 06:27
Ep 5/6

BBC ONE

Martha is representing Jackson Henderson in a death row case at the Supreme Court. Briefs don’t come with higher stakes than this. But Billy is worried; he knows the emotional strain a case like this will have on her, plus Micky is still pursuing her for Jody Farr.

With the clock ticking until Jackson’s execution in Jamaica, Martha faces one of the toughest legal arguments of her career.

The day of Fatima Ali’s trial looms, and Clive increasingly feels that he’s not the right barrister for her. At the risk of losing George, Clive persuades Martha to take the brief instead, conveniently leaving him free for the trial of his career, prosecuting Jody Farr.

Martha knows unless Fatima speaks up for herself, the truth will never come out. Just as she thinks the case is lost, Martha is offered a deal with the Devil in return for Fatima’s freedom…

Confirmed for Tuesday 12 June on BBC One at 9.00- 10.00pm

Perdita
31-05-2012, 06:27
Ep 5/6

BBC ONE

Confirmed for Tuesday 12 June on BBC One at 9.00- 10.00pm

Perdita
31-05-2012, 11:47
Ep 6/6

BBC ONE

In representing Jody Farr Martha has truly supped with the Devil. Despite pleading his innocence to this crime, Farr is a notorious criminal responsible for the death of Martha’s former client Brendan Kay. But is he getting a fair trial?
Struggling with shifting power plays and an untenable defence, Martha decides to do her job while not allowing Jody to get under her skin. However, when she senses that he isn’t getting a fair trial she suspects foul play and sets a dangerous trap to uncover the truth.

With the date of his tribunal looming Clive focuses all his efforts on prosecuting Jody Farr, but becomes progressively worried about CW’s state of mind and whether he can still support her application to chambers.

In the face of an uncertain future, Billy finds himself trapped by Micky Joy. Loyalties are stretched to breaking point as the trial runs towards its explosive climax.

Maxine Peake is Martha; Rupert Penry-Jone

suzewebb
19-06-2012, 23:12
Absolutely loved the second ep where Matthew McNulty was playing the soldier who'd disobeyed an order. Maxine Peake and Matthew seem to cross paths a fair bit. Silk, See no evil: The Moors Murders and Room at the Top to be shown sometime in the near future on BBC 4. They have great chemistry on screen as actors.

Perdita
21-06-2012, 05:41
The BBC has recommissioned Silk for a third series, it has been announced.

Starring Rupert Penry-Jones and Maxine Peake, the legal drama - following the lives of barristers - recently wrapped its second run on BBC One.

Creator Peter Moffat said in a statement: "It's a joy to write for Maxine Peake and this group of actors. I feel very privileged and lucky. Can't wait to get going.

"Lots of big ideas about cases, characters, relationships, politics as well as a great deal of unfinished business from this current series."

Moffat added: "It's usually a good sign as a writer when your anxiety about a new series is not what to say but how to fit everything in.

"The big challenge for all of us is keeping what is very obviously a highly intelligent and focused audience entertained and engaged."

New episodes of Silk have been performing excellently in the ratings for BBC One despite airing during hot weather and clashing with popular international football.

The show, which began last February, also stars Neil Stuke and Nina Sosanya.

alan45
21-06-2012, 10:11
Excellent news. I still have the last two episodes to watch of this brilliant series

Perdita
13-02-2014, 12:00
24th Feb, 9.00 - 10.00PM

Silk returns for a third series and feelings run high when a murder trial close to home sends shockwaves through Shoe Lane Chambers.
Clive (Rupert Penry-Jones) has finally become a Silk but his celebration party is dramatically cut short when news of the arrest of the son of the Head of Chambers for killing a police officer reaches the celebrations. Martha (Maxine Peake) must step in to defend the young man despite the overwhelming evidence.

Can Clive help Martha ask the tough questions needed and can Martha uncover the truth about what happened in time? Meanwhile Billy (Neil Stuke) is struggling to cope with his secret and a new Practice Manager sends ripples through the Clerks Room.

Perdita
13-02-2014, 12:00
3rd March

Delving into the murky world of professional football, Martha (Maxine Peake) must put her feelings aside to defend a footballer accused of a pitch assault on another player.
Because the incident was witnessed by tens of thousands of football fans, it seems an impossible task.

Martha's client is reluctant to cooperate and help his defence, so Martha must gain his trust to discover a secret he’s determined to keep hidden from the football world. Up against Clive (Rupert Penry-Jones) in court, can Martha convince her client to help himself?

Meanwhile, a resignation shocks chambers and Billy (Neil Stuke) begins to take steps to ensure the future of Shoe Lane, with or without him.

Perdita
20-02-2014, 13:17
10th March

Battle lines are drawn when Martha (Maxine Peake) and Clive (Rupert Penry-Jones) find themselves on opposing sides in a high profile case of assisted suicide.
A mother is accused of helping her severely paralysed daughter to die and Martha must fight to defend her client in a test case amidst the moral arguments that surround such a contentious subject.

As Clive and Martha represent either side of this fractured family, tensions between them rise to the surface that threatens their own relationship.

Elsewhere in Shoe Lane, with the resignation of the Head of Chambers, an opportunity for one of the Silks to lead the march into the future arises. Meanwhile, Billy’s (Neil Stuke) position becomes ever more compromised when a misinterpreted action causes confusion and upset amongst one of Shoe Lane’s newest members.

Glen1
20-02-2014, 15:26
First rate series, good acting and well written storylines.

Perdita
06-03-2014, 06:38
17th March

When an anxious solicitor turns up on the doorstep of Shoe Lane, Billy knows just who he needs. Dani’s nephew is fighting extradition to the US on charges of terrorism and despite Clive’s warnings, Martha cannot let the system swallow up a young man without any firm evidence.
Up against the might of the US government, Martha must use all her skills to save Rashid - even if he seems reluctant to help himself. Is Rashid as innocent as she believes and what are the US and UK security services determined to keep hidden?

When Clive accepts a privileged position in the case, his fears for Martha increase and their loyalties and beliefs are put to the test. Martha cannot forgive him for his involvement, which threatens to leave both their professional and personal relationship in tatters.

Elsewhere, Amy struggles to cope, CW finds herself out of her depth in court and Martha is shocked when a figure from her past arrives in Shoe Lane.

Perdita
12-03-2014, 14:34
24th March

Martha has to put her personal feelings aside when she is asked to defend a close friend from her past. Is she strong enough to ask him the tough questions in order to do her job properly?
The evidence against him in the case of a gangland execution is overwhelming. Fingerprints and CCTV put Martha’s friend firmly at the scene of the crime, but is it all too convenient? With Clive at her side and CW prosecuting, the stakes are high for everyone.

How close were Martha and Sean when they were young and what are their feelings for each other now? Billy is shocked when a corrupt solicitor turned supergrass from Shoe Lane’s past appears to ask for redemption. Meanwhile, battle lines are drawn in Chambers as they gear up to an internal tribunal that polarises opinion, and Martha begs Billy to tell the truth.

Perdita
14-03-2014, 13:12
31st March

Martha is becoming increasingly isolated as she fights to defend ex-boyfriend Sean against overwhelming evidence. Determined to ignore an angry Clive, who attempts to force her to confront the holes in her client’s story, Martha begins to wonder if she’s cut out for this world.
As Martha begins to uncover further lies Sean has told she is shocked when she has to rely on an old enemy to have any hope of clearing his name. As Chambers begin to worry for her emotional stability, Martha’s campaign to lead Shoe Lane into a new future begins to suffer.

The shocking truth about the case is finally revealed and after the jury return their verdict a shattered Martha is forced to confront her actions and their effect on the case. Can she move forward from this? Billy’s harassment tribunal comes to a head and when Shoe Lane votes on the Silk to guide them into an uncertain future Martha must decide what really matters.