PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who third series confirmed

daisy38
16-06-2005, 13:18
The BBC has commissioned a third series of Doctor Who in addition to the second series already planned.
The announcement comes days before the current series - a huge ratings success for BBC One - reaches its end.

With Christmas specials scheduled for 2005 and 2006, fans can look forward to 28 new episodes in total.

As Christopher Eccleston will not be returning for the next series, Casanova actor David Tennant has been cast as his replacement.

But Billie Piper, who plays the Doctor's assistant Rose Tyler, will return for the whole of the second series.

Writer Russell T Davies has confirmed he will write six episodes of series two, which will see the return of classic villains the Cybermen.

"It's a joy to write - you couldn't have more fun," he told the BBC Breakfast programme on Thursday.

He added that Eccleston's departure was "a great loss", but that a new lead actor would give the show "a new lease of life".

The new series will begin filming in Wales in five weeks.

squarelady
16-06-2005, 13:19
There's an article in my paper today which says that after research was carried out BBC have found that no one wants to watch Doctor Who. Could of fooled me!

Trinity
16-06-2005, 13:37
It is the only must view programme in our house since DH stopped! My kids love it, and I love it. We even watch the repeats on BBC in case me miss something the first time round.

squarelady
16-06-2005, 14:01
It is the only must view programme in our house since DH stopped! My kids love it, and I love it. We even watch the repeats on BBC in case me miss something the first time round.

Same here and with alot of my friends. Sometimes I wonder exactly who these people are surveying to get such results! :searchme:

Jojo
16-06-2005, 19:45
If no-one was watching it, why commission a third series before the second has even been filmed!!!! Plus it was trouncing everything else in the ratings wars. Me thinks they were asking the wrong people. Should have asked us!!!!!

Treacle
17-06-2005, 04:37
It gets about 8 million viewers on a good episode but on average about 7, that's great for a primetime Saturday night slot.