PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2010

alan45
20-12-2010, 00:18
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01211/MCCOYENNISTAYLOR_1211826a.jpg

TONY McCOY won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
The 15-time Champion Jockey landed the Grand National in 2010 after 15 years of trying.

On the back of that, he won a huge 41 per cent of the public vote to become the first jockey to win the award in its 57-year history.

He said: "This is unbelievable to be standing in front of so many sports people who I look up to. To win this is very surreal and it comes with the help of so many people.

"When I started as a jockey, I wanted to be champion. I just felt winning the Grand National was that last piece for me.

"I work in a wonderful sport and I think most of them spent most of the night voting for me."

McCoy edged out 15-time darts world champ Phil Taylor and heptathlete Jessica Ennis.

Award winners
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - jump jockey Tony McCoy

Helen Rollason award - Formula One's Sir Frank Williams

BBC Young Sports Personality - diver Tom Daley (for third time)

BBC Sports Unsung Hero - Bedford basketball coach Lance Haggith

Team of the Year - Europe's Ryder Cup-winning 12

Overseas Sports Personality - world no1 tennis ace Rafael Nadal

BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement award - ex-England captain David Beckham

Siobhan
20-12-2010, 09:32
I was delighted AP got it... I only tune in to the end of it and they showed the list of nominees, and AP was the only one I thought deserved it so delight he got it

alan45
20-12-2010, 10:11
I was delighted AP got it... I only tune in to the end of it and they showed the list of nominees, and AP was the only one I thought deserved it so delight he got it
Personally I wanted GMAC to win it but nevertheless am delighted that it was an Irishman who won it. Such a small wee country and we had two nominations in the top ten

Katy
20-12-2010, 10:37
i thought it was well deserved as wel, and a lovely acceptance speech from AP!

Thought the bit at the very end that i saw when they did the sportstars that had died throughtout the year and Katherine Jenkins sung in front of the montage thing was really nice.

alan45
23-12-2010, 10:36
Glad to see that GMAC won the awards for Best Sportsperson of the Year Award on RTE.

Pity he couldnt do something about his ridiculous transatlantic accent

Chloe O'brien
27-12-2010, 16:41
I thought GMac or Westwood would have won the top award as Golf dominated this years awards. Didn't agree with Beckham getting a lifetime award. Maybe it's just me but I can't see what all the fuss about him is.

alan45
27-12-2010, 18:16
I thought GMac or Westwood would have won the top award as Golf dominated this years awards. Didn't agree with Beckham getting a lifetime award. Maybe it's just me but I can't see what all the fuss about him is.The problem with the Golf was that the vote was split between GMAC and Westwood.

Certainly agree that Mr Spice did not deserve a lifetime achievement award