PDA

View Full Version : Getting the tube

Abigail
13-12-2010, 12:34
Hi All,

I'm going home on Friday via London and I need some help with the tube. My train gets into Euston at 1223 and departs from Waterloo at 1320. I need to know the following:

1. Which platform and line I need
2. How long it will take
3. How I can check if I have enough credit on my Oyster card before getting there
4. How far is the rail station from Waterloo underground
5. How big is Waterloo station (i.e. how much time should I allow to leave the tube and get to the overground platform)

I hate travelling on the tube and I'm going to have a big suitcase with me too so I don't want to be faffing about trying to figure out what platform I need to be on.

Thanks to anyone who can make this journey less stressful for me. It's times like these that I wish we still lived in Newcastle.

alan45
13-12-2010, 15:48
This might help http://www.metazone.co.uk/tubemap/undergroundmap.php

Get off the train at Euston follow (Northern Line: Southbound via Charing Cross to Morden) then the following stations
Warren Street
Goodge Street
Tottenham Court Road
Leicester Square
Charing Cross
Embankment
Waterloo

Says it should take around ten mins. Seriously though if you are worried why not take a Taxi. I know it costs a wee bit more but your'e worth it

Abigail
13-12-2010, 16:47
Thanks Alan, that map helps so much! I like to visualise things to understand them. I thought the circle line went through Euston so I'm pleased I asked otherwise I'd have a panic on at the station. The tube looks to be right under Waterloo station like it is at Euston so that makes things easier.

Taxi is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. The tube is a direct line though, no changes or too much walking at either end so I might brave it. When I come back though London, I have to get from Waterloo to Kings Cross to head up to Yorkshire so I think I'll take a taxi for that one as I need to change at Euston and then walk a bit after the tube.

alan45
13-12-2010, 23:42
The thing about the tube is that sometimes you can actually get to where you want to go just as quickly by walking. Obviousl this would not be suitable for you with a suitcase but I know when I was attending various courses in the Big Smoke it was far quicker during rush hour to walk between the hotel and the office and it had the added bonus of stopping for a double machiatto en route in the morning and one or two lagers on the way home.