PDA

View Full Version : Corrie creator's morphine addiction

Perdita
27-11-2010, 06:11
Coronation Street creator Tony Warren has revealed that he battled against a morphine addiction which he said settled "the cold, lonely, aching place inside".

The 74-year-old said the pressure of his early success with the Street got to him and he turned to drink and drugs to escape.

He told the Radio Times: "It became inescapable. Once I went to Amsterdam to get away from it, put on the television and there was Ena Sharples with Dutch subtitles. I put my foot through the screen.

"After Coronation Street, what do you do for an encore? I had a drink while I thought about it, and that one turned into a million."

Tony, who said he has an addictive personality, also started buying tincture of morphine from "a bent chemist".

He said: "I used to have hugely upset tummies and in those days you could buy preparations with a quantity of morphine in them. I soon discovered it settled not just my tummy but the cold, lonely, aching place inside, too."

The long-running soap celebrates its 50th anniversary with a live episode on December 9.

alan45
27-11-2010, 10:50
http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/18851/20101127T093906_Five_Soaps_News_1-1_1290850749_large.jpg?1290852008

He's responsible for one of the most famous shows in TV history.

But Coronation Street creator Tony Warren has revealed he battled an addiction to drink and drugs, including morphine, during his early career as he struggled to cope with the pressure of success.

The 74-year-old revealed to the Radio Times there was a time when he wanted to escape the world of Weatherfield, which led him to a " cold, lonely, aching place".

Tony said: "It became inescapable. Once I went to Amsterdam to get away from it, put on the television and there was Ena Sharples with Dutch subtitles. I put my foot through the screen.

"After Coronation Street, what do you do for an encore? I had a drink while I thought about it, and that one turned into a million."

Tony, who said he has an addictive personality, also started buying tincture of morphine from "a bent chemist".

He said: "I used to have hugely upset tummies and in those days you could buy preparations with a quantity of morphine in them. I soon discovered it settled not just my tummy but the cold, lonely, aching place inside, too."

Dazzle
27-11-2010, 12:17
I hope he's happier now.