PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Henry to host new Saturday night show The Magicians on BBC One

moonstorm
25-11-2010, 15:40
Actor and comedian Lenny Henry is to host The Magicians, BBC One's new Saturday night entertainment spectacular, it was announced today.

Lenny will be joined by three internationally renowned magic practitioners, US sleight of hand artist Chris Korn, master illusionist Luis de Matos, and talented UK magicians Barry and Stuart, whose brand of dark and exciting vaudeville will keep audiences enthralled.

Lenny, best known for being one of the driving forces behind Comic Relief and his BBC comedy sketch shows Lenny Henry In Pieces and The Lenny Henry Show, admitted he was extremely excited about the project.

"I've always been a fan of magic on the TV,from David Nixon to David Blaine, Penn and Teller to Paul Daniels, and the far too glamorous Debbie McGee," he said.

"l love magic and the thing about me is that I don't want to know how it's done – I can't wait to host this show! You know the bloke with his jaw on the floor throughout most of the show? That will be me!" he added.

The Magicians sees three of the magic world's most successful practitioners do battle for five weeks in early 2011, in the magic world's first competitive competition on UK screens.

Master of sleight of hand, Chris Korn, has more than 21 years of experience and regularly performs for A-list Hollywood stars including Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Alec Baldwin and Adam Sandler.

Award-winning Scottish duo Barry and Stuart have had three sell-out shows at the Edinburgh festival, including this year's smash hit 98% Seance. Previously they starred in the TV shows Dirty Tricks, Magick and Tricks From The Bible, for which they were nominated for a Scottish BAFTA award. They also won the Best Comedy Illusionist Award at the World Magic Awards in 2009.

Luis de Matos has been mesmerising audiences for the last 10 years with his slick and stylish illusions and this year the International Magician's Society declared him to be the Illusionist of the Decade. Luis also has an extensive career in Portugal including a series of successful TV shows.

Against the stunning backdrop of a specially created set on Pinewood Studios, each magician will perform with a different celebrity partner each week, with the three pairs performing illusions from the classic to the never-attempted-before.

The celebrities appearing in the show include TV presenter Chris Tarrant, presenter and artist Rolf Harris, hip-hop group N-Dubz and Ashley Banjo from the street dance troupe Diversity.

Magic duo Barry Jones and Stuart MacLeod said: "The Magicians is the biggest and most ambitious show that we have ever been a part of. We're going to bring the viewers of BBC One some inventive, devious and jaw-dropping new magic that they will have never seen before.

"As we will be battling with one of America's finest sleight of hand artists, Chris Korn, and Europe's number one illusionist, Luis De Matos, we really have our work cut out for us!"

Grand illusionist Luis de Matos said: "It was a real surprise when the BBC asked me to participate in the show. It's going to be a joy working with the celebrity guests, but performing magic will be a real challenge for them as it takes a lot of practice, rehearsal and dedication.

"I believe it will be a really spectacular and contemporary show. Everybody is giving their best and the excitement level is really high."

US sleight of hand artist Chris Korn, said: "I am really excited to be a part of bringing magic back to the BBC after nearly 20 years. This show will be great fun and extremely challenging as Barry and Stuart are two of the most creative minds in magic and Luis de Matos is Europe's most sensational illusionist."

BBC Controller of Entertainment Commissioning, Mark Linsey, said: "I'm delighted to be bringing something astonishing and different to BBC One audiences on Saturday nights through winter. Everyone needs a bit of magic in January."

Joint Managing Director of Shine TV, Karen Smith, said: "We have assembled three remarkable, internationally respected acts who will astound and amaze the audience and a host whose enthusiasm for the show is infectious.

"It will be magic like never seen before on TV, huge in scale and a true spectacular."

The Magicians will be produced by Shine TV, makers of BBC One hit Merlin, and executive produced by Karen Smith, Joint Managing Director of Shine TV, and launch producer of Strictly Come Dancing.