PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Slater Eastenders

sean slater
14-11-2010, 02:16
Its going on forever. It feels like its been ages since everyone else left and they were axed at the same time. Not that I particularly want him out of the way, he could stay if someone found him a decent storyline, its just the waiting and waiting. There's not even any rumours flying around about his departure. Well inclings that he's going to die but apart from that...

parkerman
14-11-2010, 09:47
I think he's thinking of taking a trip up to Manchester and taking the tram to Weatherfield.....:)

tammyy2j
15-11-2010, 13:53
Some rumours are that he dies around Xmas and Kat names her baby boy Charlie after him

Siobhan
15-11-2010, 14:32
Some rumours are that he dies around Xmas and Kat names her baby boy Charlie after him

Did they not settle on Alfie for the baby's name???

alan45
30-11-2010, 23:57
With an interfering family who can't keep their nose out of his business, you'd have thought Alfie Moon would have been glad to see the back of one of them.
But clearly Charlie Slater is a father-in-law worth having around as these upcoming scenes from EastEnders show.
Alfie, played by Shane Richie, is seen running down a tube platform after Charlie, played by Derek Martin, who is leaving Walford for good.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/30/article-0-0C49ABA7000005DC-331_468x415.jpg
Are they too late? EastEnders Alfie Moon, played by Shane Richie and his wife Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, looks helplessly down a tube platform
Charlie, the soap’s long-suffering patriarch, is seen waiting for a tube train with a suitcase in his hand, a forlorn expression on his face as he boards.
But moments later, as they train pulls away, Alfie and Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, burst on to the platform, seemingly too late to stop him.
Martin, 77, was filming his final scenes as Charlie, after ten years on the BBC soap.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/30/article-1334439-0C49AB97000005DC-531_468x570.jpg
Where's my train? Charlie Slater (Derek Martin) waits for his tube to take him out of Walford forever
He was among a number of the soap's cast who were told earlier this year that their characters were being written out of killed off.
Executive producer Bryan Kirkwood decided to enforce the cull as part of his plans to update the show and 'breathe new life' into it.
Other actors given the axe were Libby Fox, played by Belinda Owusu, Minty Peterson, played by Cliff Parisi, Danny Mitchell, played by Liam Bergin, Liz Turner, played by Kate Williams, and Adam Best, played by David Proud, but they have already left the show.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/30/article-1334439-0C49AF3D000005DC-858_468x329.jpg
So long, farewell: Charlie looks sad and deep in thought as he boards his train
Martin first arrived on the Square in September 2000 as the widowed cab driver father of the Slater family, along with his mother-in-law Mo Harris, played by Leila Morse.
It was initially thought that he would be killed off but producers have clearly decided to give him a fonder farewell.
Martin also recently published a book about his life called An East End Life: My Story in he describes growing up in London and talks about his violent early days in the East End where he rubbed shoulders with The Krays.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/30/article-1334439-04F58A7A0000044D-571_468x419.jpg
Meet the family: Charlie and the Slater clan (L-R) Gary, played by Ricky Groves, Lynne (Elaine Lordan), Charlie (Derek Martin), Zoe (Michelle Ryan), Maureen (Kacey Ainsworth)

sean slater
01-12-2010, 01:37
Oh right. I thought he was going to die, its a bit of a crap exit. Unless he has a heart attack just as he's about to get on the train, but seems unlikely lol

Im guessing its to do with the reveal that Stacey is the murderer of Archie and realises that he's a crap relative and thinks he should leave. As there's not many people left he can help anymore. Shame.

Clearly Kat has had the baby, she's looking extremely slim in that pic. There also both dressed in black. Maybe it's the day of 'their baby's' funeral?!

Dazzle
01-12-2010, 12:15
Clearly Kat has had the baby, she's looking extremely slim in that pic. There also both dressed in black. Maybe it's the day of 'their baby's' funeral?!

Well spotted - I didn't even notice Kat wasn't pregnant any more. It looks like Charlie leaves in despair after the baby dies.

alan45
01-12-2010, 13:04
Of course the train he is boarding may be heading to Manchester and when there he may board a tram that just happens to pass the bottom of Coronation Street and then ...........................

tammyy2j
01-12-2010, 13:32
Oh right. I thought he was going to die, its a bit of a crap exit. Unless he has a heart attack just as he's about to get on the train, but seems unlikely lol

Im guessing its to do with the reveal that Stacey is the murderer of Archie and realises that he's a crap relative and thinks he should leave. As there's not many people left he can help anymore. Shame.

Does Kat not know Ronnie switched the babies surely she can tell her own baby or are the switched at the hospital also so it really is Kat's baby that dies I'm confused

I expected Charlie to get a better send off

Chris_2k11
02-12-2010, 10:49
One suitcase is that it??

parkerman
02-12-2010, 11:17
One suitcase is that it??

It's more than most people usually leave Eastenders with!

Chris_2k11
02-12-2010, 11:24
Ha thats true!

sean slater
04-12-2010, 02:04
Does Kat not know Ronnie switched the babies surely she can tell her own baby or are the switched at the hospital also so it really is Kat's baby that dies I'm confused

I expected Charlie to get a better send off

Kat doesnt know Ronnie switched the babies, according to Shane Richie they are are supposed to be in the dark about the situation for like a year. And its Ronnie's baby that dies not Kat's but Kat think its her cos Ronnie switched them.

Dont like Charlie's exit. The spoilers say Charlie does something unforgiveable which is why he leaves, but then clearly Kat and Alfie forgive him cos they chase after him at the train station.

Perdita
27-12-2010, 10:21
GUILT-ridden Charlie Slater tries to exit Albert Square in a pit of despair as he blames himself for the death of grandson Tommy.

Charlie, played by Derek Martin, was supposed to be babysitting the newborn lad on New Year's Eve.

But instead he snuck down to the bar of the Queen Vic to join the revellers.

So he's overcome with guilt when it is believed that the tot has died.

Then when Tommy's mum Kat Moon learns the truth, he decides it's time to get out of Walford.

A source said: "When Kat finds out what really happened that night, she loses it. It's devastating for Charlie. He already blames himself and feels as if he's failed his daughter again."

The Sun

Dazzle
27-12-2010, 11:13
GUILT-ridden Charlie Slater tries to exit Albert Square in a pit of despair as he blames himself for the death of grandson Tommy.

Poor Charlie :(

Timalay
07-01-2011, 10:24
Just seen an Ad for This Morningl, and they've got an interview with Derek Martin and why he decided to leave.

He didn't decided to leave he was part of a mass culling.

tammyy2j
07-01-2011, 10:31
What will happen with Kat finds out the truth will she apologise to Charlie and bring him home?????????

parkerman
07-01-2011, 10:38
What will happen with Kat finds out the truth will she apologise to Charlie and bring him home?????????

Well it is Charlie's fault that all this happened anyway. If he'd been looking after the baby like he was supposed to Ronnie wouldn't have been able to steal him.

Perdita
08-01-2011, 07:13
EastEnders' Derek Martin has admitted stealing meat in the 1960s worth £150,000 today.

The star, who plays outgoing Slater patriarch Charlie, was found not guilty in an Old Bailey trial of stealing £10,000 of meat while working at a meat market in London in 1961.

However, Martin told Celebrity Mastermind host John Humphrys that he had in fact taken the produce - although he never got to enjoy the goods.

As the soap actor prepared to answer general knowledge questions on the show, Humphrys asked: "Didn't you once convince a jury that you hadn't pinched some meat from Smithfield?"

Martin replied: "Yes, a long time ago in 1960-odd, yeah... £10,000 pounds worth, yeah."

When asked if he felt guilty over the theft, he responded: "No, I was just choked I never got the meat."

He added that a female jury member had congratulated him on his "performance" in the dock, and suggested a career in acting.

A number of viewers are reported to have complained to the BBC over the admission.

According to the Daily Mail, one viewer commented: "It was a primetime slot on the BBC and there was a villain bragging about his crimes.

"The BBC should not be helping glorify crime because there might well be impressionable people watching."

DS

alan45
08-01-2011, 10:18
Seem about par for the course on EE to have a Criminal Record.

Perdita
02-03-2011, 18:21
EastEnders fans will see Charlie Slater make a brief return to Albert Square later this year, Digital Spy can confirm.

Actor Derek Martin - who played the character for a decade - has recently been filming a two-episode guest stint with the BBC soap and viewers can expect to see Charlie back on screen in a few weeks' time.

Charlie left the Square at the beginning of this year after his daughter Kat (Jessie Wallace) blamed him for the loss of her newborn son Tommy. He had failed to properly supervise the baby while a party was being held at the Queen Vic on New Year's Eve, paving the way for Ronnie Branning (Samantha Womack) to secretly swap the child with her dead son James.

Although Kat later made peace with Charlie, he went away to live with daughter Lynne after deciding that it was best for him to leave Walford.

Speaking of Charlie's forthcoming return, an EastEnders source today told DS: "Although they've had their ups and downs, Kat deeply regrets pushing Charlie away. The pair have a tearful reunion and there won't be a dry eye in the house."

Kat, her husband Alfie and the rest of Walford's residents are currently unaware of Ronnie's terrible secret - still believing that Tommy suffered cot death. However, the Moons are expected to be reunited with their child in April.

Meanwhile, show bosses are keeping the door open for more future appearances from Charlie once his latest stint on the Square is over.

DS

lizann
02-03-2011, 23:17
^ That is good news

tammyy2j
03-03-2011, 11:11
I am glad the door is open for more returns for him

Perdita
19-04-2011, 11:58
EastEnders star Derek Martin has revealed he had to rely on pain killers during filming to ease his agonising arthritis.

The actor - who has played taxi driver Charlie Slater since 2000 - suffered with the disease for decades, but was determined not to let it stop him appearing in Albert Square.

The 78-year-old, who has since had surgery to ease his discomfort, told the Daily Mail: "Sometimes I'd need pain killers from the on-set paramedics. I was in agony, but I'd make a joke of it."

He added: "I just hated the idea of going under the knife. I was also committed to my filming schedule and didn't want to stop for a minute."

After opting for an operation on his left knee last year, Derek returned to the soap, with a crew member following him around with a chair and walking sticks.

The veteran actor then had surgery on his right knee earlier this year, and returned to the show at the end of February.

Derek has vowed to stay fit and healthy so he can keep up with his EastEnders storylines.

He added: "I've got a lot of living to do and a lot of golf to play, and I want to continue acting - so my new knees have got to keep on working."

PA

alan45
07-04-2014, 00:40
Ex-EastEnders actor Derek Martin has revealed that his former co-stars are keen to have him back on the soap.

The 80-year-old said that Jessie Wallace - who plays his on-screen daughter Kat - and Shane Richie have been pleading with the show's producers for Martin's return.

The actor starred as Walford cab driver Charlie Slater from 2000 to 2011, before briefly returning to the role last Christmas.

He told The Sunday Mirror: "The show misses the older characters.

"Everyone, including Shane and Jessie, have been asking them upstairs, 'When can we have Derek?' and Dominic [Treadwell-Collins] has said he will see how it goes."

Martin previously expressed his desire to permanently return to EastEnders when he reprised his role for the three-episode stint in December.

He said: "Who knows, if Charlie goes down well this Christmas, maybe it will all become more permanent. Nothing's been said but I can't help hoping."

alan45
07-04-2014, 00:40
Ex-EastEnders actor Derek Martin has revealed that his former co-stars are keen to have him back on the soap.

The 80-year-old said that Jessie Wallace - who plays his on-screen daughter Kat - and Shane Richie have been pleading with the show's producers for Martin's return.

The actor starred as Walford cab driver Charlie Slater from 2000 to 2011, before briefly returning to the role last Christmas.

He told The Sunday Mirror: "The show misses the older characters.

"Everyone, including Shane and Jessie, have been asking them upstairs, 'When can we have Derek?' and Dominic [Treadwell-Collins] has said he will see how it goes."

Martin previously expressed his desire to permanently return to EastEnders when he reprised his role for the three-episode stint in December.

He said: "Who knows, if Charlie goes down well this Christmas, maybe it will all become more permanent. Nothing's been said but I can't help hoping."

Perdita
30-10-2014, 11:50
EastEnders star Derek Martin is being lined up for a possible return to the show, reports have revealed.

The actor has been in talks to reprise his role as Charlie Slater as part of a storyline that will air in the New Year.
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/44/618x520/soaps-derek-martin.jpg
Derek Martin
© PA Images / Ian West
Derek Martin

Martin told the Daily Star: "In December and January, I am going back to make a couple of episodes. I don't know what the storyline is but I am booked."

An EastEnders source confirmed the possibility to Digital Spy this morning (October 30), but said that the return has yet to be finalised.

The insider explained: "It hasn't been confirmed if Derek will be returning, as it is still a little while off yet as we are still at the planning stages."
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/41/618x427/soaps-eastenders-4947-5.jpg
Alfie tries to tell Kat the truth
© BBC
Kat with husband Alfie in EastEnders

Charlie last appeared in Walford in December 2013, when he visited his daughter Kat at Christmas. Prior to that, he appeared for two episodes in April 2011.

The character debuted on EastEnders in 2000 but made his final appearance as an Albert Square regular in early 2011.

parkerman
30-10-2014, 11:59
Hmmm. Coming back in December and January as part of a storyline to air in the New Year...

Charlie Slater revealed as Lucy's murderer!:D

Dazzle
01-11-2014, 11:32
Hmmm. Coming back in December and January as part of a storyline to air in the New Year...

Charlie Slater revealed as Lucy's murderer!:D

Now that would be an unexpected twist! :eek: :D

I'll be glad to see Charlie (Slater) back. Kat's going to need a shoulder to cry on when she finds out that Alfie started the fire. :(

Perdita
18-10-2015, 04:39
After news Kat and Alfie Moon will be heading back to EastEnders this Christmas, soap bosses have confirmed Derek Martin will also be returning as Charlie Slater for a guest appearance.

There are currently no further details about the circumstances of his return and it's unclear yet whether it will be welcome or troubled.
http://i1.cdnds.net/11/15/550w_eastenders_4197_2.jpg
Charlie reveals to Kat that he has news and he is engaged!
© BBC

Derek says: "I'm so excited to be coming back into such a big and important storyline and I can't wait to get stuck in and be back with the family again."

Charlie was last seen in the Square in December 2013 when he returned to spend Christmas with Kat (Jessie Wallace) and Alfie (Shane Richie) - their last in the Queen Vic.
http://i2.cdnds.net/11/01/550w_eastenders_4143_1.jpg
Her anger builds as she talks about the resentment she still holds for her mother for taking Zoe away.
© BBC

What we do know, however, is his return will set up the standalone BBC One drama that features Kat and Alfie in Ireland as they "search for answers to some very big questions..."

The pair were last seen on screen in May, when they jetted off for a new life in Spain after winning £1 million on a scratch card.

The "very big questions" the pair are dealing with are Alfie's brain tumour and the audience's knowledge that Kat has a secret son she knows nothing about.

It's set to be an explosive New Year in Albert Square... rocking the cobbles and the lives of the residents will never be the same again ... :p:D

digitalspy

Kim
18-10-2015, 09:25
He didn't bother showing his face when his daughter nearly died or when his brother was exposed as a serial rapist, but decides to do so now? That makes perfect sense.

It makes it look as though he only bothered for Christmas a few years back because he knew there would be cheap booze as Kat and Alfie were leaving the Vic.

Another character assassination by DTC.

tammyy2j
20-10-2015, 14:39
Does Charlie know about Kat's son or was it only her mother Viv who knew?

parkerman
20-10-2015, 16:28
Actually, I think the only person who knew was Dominic Treadwell Collins.

Kim
20-10-2015, 18:47

I think we're about to discover that he and possibly Mo knew. Yet more character assassination and jump the shark moments. I don't believe it's in Charlie's character to do that and had Mo known, surely she'd have been on edge last year, when Kat was pregnant with twins again, wondering whether something would click in her head. I'm expecting Jean to be a surprise return over Christmas; I only hope that she doesn't turn out to have known. As if Jean would have been able to keep that from Kat. Unfortunately, I think after everything he's missed, DTC wouldn't bother bringing Charlie back if he didn't know.

I'm expecting Stacey to find some old papers over Christmas, in a safe or something somewhere unlocked by her key. They will reveal the existence of the son and something about Brian Slater (I'm expecting it to be that he was a bigamist and that Stacey and Sean have some half-siblings.) The papers would I think have been kept by Aunt Vi, and Brian (her son) would have got them when she died.

Of course I'm probably expecting too much and we'll have another retcon where the papers have supposedly survived two house fires and not been stumbled across by anyone for years.

I hasten to add that this is a total retcon however it happens. The birth certificates of twins give a time of birth for each in addition to date and place. There is no time recorded for the birth of a singleton. Kat has seen Zoe's birth certificate as she asked Mo for it when she was trying to hide from those men that she and Alfie ripped off.

While Kat could have mistaken nuns for nurses, the episodes prior to Tommy's birth seemed to show that the nurse/midwife had seen Kat's medical records and knew that she had a child already. Charlie was also shown to have been present at some point, while the nun (and Kat) made no mention of him being anywhere near the convent. According to DTC, there would be no medical record of Kat having a child before Tommy.

tammyy2j
28-11-2015, 00:47
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-favourite-charlie-slater-killed-6915348

Charlie Slater to be killed off in tear-jerker New Year plot

Kim
28-11-2015, 01:47
DTC does seem to like piling the suffering onto female characters. Dad dies, husband has a brain tumour and a secret son via her rapist Uncle, poor Kat :(

I hope there will be some surprise appearances from the other Slaters, although I'd say it's unlikely. Little Mo is probably the most likely (and may actually happen seeing as it would mean DTC could stick in an awfully timed triangle between her, Billy and Honey.)

Rear window
28-11-2015, 08:57
So how will this go from her dad dying to discovering she has another child?
Secret letters? something in his will? (Did he know? )

Rear window
28-11-2015, 08:57
So how will this go from her dad dying to discovering she has another child?
Secret letters? something in his will? (Did he know? )

tammyy2j
29-11-2015, 21:32
He is back to help Stacey who has baby around Christmas and goes missing