PDA

View Full Version : Clark tips Harold for 'Neighbours' return

Perdita
18-10-2010, 14:51
Neighbours star Sam Clark has predicted that fans could soon see Harold Bishop return to Erinsborough.

Ramsay Street legend Harold was last seen on screen in early 2009, when he left his long-term home in favour of a new life living with his granddaughter Sky. The character's departure came after actor Ian Smith decided to bow out from the role.

Clark - who recently filmed his final scenes as Ringo Brown on the drama - told Bang Showbiz: "Harold Bishop could be coming back to Neighbours. I think everyone on the show realised how much the fans missed him."

The 23-year-old also claimed that Neighbours' move from BBC One to Five in the UK was one of the main reasons behind Smith's departure.

"Ian was actually fuming when he heard the show was moving to Five," Clark said. "Obviously Neighbours has got a massive following in the UK and he thought the channel change would have a big impact. He honestly thought the producers had lost their minds when he heard, and it was a big part of his decision to leave."

Clark has been busy pursuing a music career in recent months and is currently in the UK to promote his single 'Devastated'.

Perdita
02-11-2010, 15:35
Neighbours legend Ian Smith has admitted that working on the soap became a 'struggle' towards the end of his Ramsay Street stint.

The actor bowed out from his role as fan favourite Harold Bishop in late 2008, and his final scenes were screened last year.

Reflecting on his departure in a new interview with Holy Soap, Smith explained: "I said that if ever one morning I got up and I said, 'Oh no, not again', I'd leave the show - and one morning I did that. And in fairness to the show, because I really do have a great affection for the show, if I'd have kept going I'd have been doing it for money. And I didn't want that.

"Plus the fact you don't create enough in front of the camera if you're just doing it for money, you don't do it. And I did notice near the end of it that I was struggling a little bit, and I didn't like that feeling. So I said no - I gave up."

Asked what he has been doing since making his exit, the 71-year-old replied: "A little bit of everything. A lot of retirement. And I thought that I'd be scared of retirement, but I've got to be honest with you - I don't know where I found the time to work.

"I've done a couple of other television shows, smaller parts, which were a great enjoyment because then I didn't have the weight or as much responsibility, so I enjoyed that. I've done a couple of stage dramas, which I enjoy immensely. I think anyone who starts off in the stage, as I did, always wants to go back to it."

Smith's former co-star Sam Clark (Ringo Brown) recently predicted that Harold could soon be back on screen.

alan45
28-12-2010, 11:46
Legendary Neighbours character Harold Bishop will return to Ramsay Street next year, a cast member has confirmed.

Ryan Moloney, who plays Toadie in the serial, told TV Week that actor Ian Smith will reprise his role "for a little bit".

He enthused: "I know that Harold is coming back for a little bit, I can't wait. I love Ian and it's good to work with an old friend."

Smith was last seen on Neighbours in February, having announced his retirement in August 2008. The star has since admitted that he "struggled" on the show.

Sam Clark, who portrays Ringo Brown, predicted a Harold comeback in October.

alan45
31-03-2011, 23:47
http://holysoapcdn.channel5.com/assets/images/19941/harold_large.jpg?1294229115

When last year we caught up with soap icon Ian Smith for a chat about his return to Neighbours, he memorably teased that viewers could expect 'a little bit of romance' on Ramsay Street - and he hasn't let us down, with reports that veteran star Paula Duncan is set to appear on the soap as his alter ego Harold Bishop's new love interest.

Paula - whose credits include The Young Doctors, Prisoner and Home and Away - starting filming last week, having also guest-starred in the show over two decades ago. 'I played Alan Dale's girlfriend in the first series,' she tells Australia's Herald Sun. 'I was very skinny and very, very young.'

But if you were beginning to wonder whether Harold might be in danger of being led astray, worry not: even with a new lady in his life, it sounds like he's still every inch the Erinsborough stalwart we all know and love. 'Harold is very Salvation Army, so there is no alcohol or sex,' Paula jokes.

Perdita
26-04-2011, 13:21
Ian Smith has admitted that he struggled with nerves as he prepared to reprise his role as Neighbours favourite Harold Bishop.

The actor recently filmed a short return stint for the soap, which will see Harold come back to Erinsborough to help old friend Toadie Rebecchi.

Toadie makes contact with Harold for advice and support in the coming weeks after the revelation of Sonya's secret causes major problems in their relationship.

Speaking to TV Week about his comeback, Smith confessed: "I was dreadfully worried about it. I've got to be honest, because it's been nearly two years since I've stood in front of the camera - apart from a stint in Underbelly: The Golden Mile - and I was worried about whether I could go back and remember pages and pages of scripts, but it turned out that I could.

"It happened so easily. It was like I'd just walked out of the studio to get a cup of tea!"

Smith has spent much of his time travelling with wife Gail since bowing out from Neighbours two years ago. The couple are now planning further trips together.

The actor added: "I've just discovered cruising. I have the Queen Mary cruise around Australia, and then I'm going to get in the car with Gail and we're going to get lost somewhere in the middle of Australia."

Smith recently confirmed that financial concerns were the main influence behind his return to Neighbours.

DS

Perdita
25-05-2011, 05:49
LEGEND Ian Smith has said an emotional farewell to his character Harold Bishop – after revealing he will never return to Australia’s most famous street.

The loveable actor, who has played bumbling Harold for nearly 25 years, was persuaded to come out of retirement for one last stint on the Channel 5 soap.

Ian, 72, retired two years ago after growing tired of the long hours and busy schedule.

But after meeting up with the soap’s top bosses at the 25th anniversary he was persuaded to go back one last time.

He said: “That’s definitely it now. It was great to go back for one final time but I’m enjoying my retirement too much.”

Neighbours fans will see Harold return to Erinsborough after his old friend Toadie Rebecchi gets in touch following the breakdown of his family.

You can catch his Ramsay Street comeback next month.

Awww, I thought he had come back for good :(

Perdita
01-06-2011, 05:38
Adele has revealed that she would love to collaborate with Harold Bishop.

The 'Rolling In The Deep' singer said that she wants to feature the Neighbours character, who is portrayed by Australian actor Ian Smith, playing his famous tuba on some of her tracks in return for a cameo role in the soap.

Adele told The Sun: "I love Neighbours and especially Harold. He plays the tuba so I'd love to ask him to play on some of the tracks. In return I could do a cameo on Neighbours like Lily Allen did. But I have to overcome my fear of flying all that way first."

The singer also revealed that she is aiming to record her next album by the end of the year and release it in time for her birthday in May. She said: "I have five tracks ready to go. One of them is quite upbeat - a real 'girl power' type of song."

Smith returned to Neighbours earlier this year and said that he was "dreadfully worried" about it because he had had a two-year break from the television industry.

Adele recently collaborated with Tinie Tempah on "something amazing". Beyoncé has also previously said that she would love to work with her.

:D