PDA

View Full Version : The Pillars of the Earth

tammyy2j
07-09-2010, 12:32
Channel 4 announced it has acquired the UK premiere broadcast rights to ground-breaking eight-hour television adaptation of The Pillars Of The Earth. Based on Ken Follett’s bestseller, the event series will makes its UK debut in 2010 on Channel 4 after it airs in the US on Starz.

The ambitious series, produced by TANDEM Communications, MUSE Entertainment and Ridley and Tony Scott’s SCOTT FREE Films is directed by three-time DGA award-winner Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Heroes).

Set against a backdrop of war, religious strife and power struggles in 12th Century England, an enduring love story is masterfully entwined with political turmoil in Ken Follett’s masterpiece. The all-star cast includes; Ian McShane (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides), Rufus Sewell (The Illusionist, A Knight’s Tale), Matthew Macfadyen (Robin Hood, Pride and Prejudice), Hayley Atwell (The Duchess, Any Human Heart), Sarah Parish (Merlin), Donald Sutherland (Dirty Sexy Money, The Italian Job), Eddie Redmayne (Glorious 39, The Good Shepherd), Alison Pill (Milk), Sam Claflin (Any Human Heart, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides), Robert Bathurst (Emma, Cold Feet), David Oakes (Trinity) and Douglas Booth (Worried About The Boy). The drama was shot on location in Hungary with Mid Atlantic Films.

Tim Highsted, Programme Acquisition, Channel 4 says; “We are delighted to premiere The Pillars of the Earth on Channel 4. Epic in scale and ambitious in its storytelling, this mini series is sure to spellbind viewers and is the perfect addition to our acquired programmes.”

“We could not imagine a better home for Pillars in the UK,” says Rola Bauer, Executive Producer and Tandem Communications Senior Partner. “We have worked with Channel Four in the past on event miniseries; their taste in programming has always been progressive and innovative. They also have the expertise to create an event around a programme’s launch.”

Author Ken Follett says; “I might be prejudiced, but finding the right network for Pillars in the UK was very important for me. Channel Four’s profile and image is a perfect fit for a story with such broad appeal. I know we are in good hands.”

“It was always our intention to make Pillars fresh and accessible to modern-day audiences – nothing stuffy here,” adds Executive Producer and Chairman of Scott Free Films, Ridley Scott. “Channel Four has always been on the cutting edge, which makes this a wonderful match.”

Siobhan
07-09-2010, 12:56
It was on TV 3 for the past few weeks.. very very loosely based on Follett book.. which I have to say was outstanding and a must read.. the series ruined it for me.. so if you are book lover, don't watch this

Dazzle
07-09-2010, 13:29
It was on TV 3 for the past few weeks.. very very loosely based on Follett book.. which I have to say was outstanding and a must read.. the series ruined it for me.. so if you are book lover, don't watch this

Aww, what a shame you didn't enjoy it, Siobhan. :(

I read the book over a decade ago, and loved it, but I can barely remember it now, so will probably give the TV series a try.

Siobhan
07-09-2010, 13:30
I didn't watch much of it, just switched in and out but the inconsistency with the book was enough to put me off..

tammyy2j
07-09-2010, 13:37

I didnt read the book but I quite enjoyed the tv series on TV3 recently

Sarah Parish is great in it imo her best role to date

Promo Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSa6AhEWebA&feature=player_embedded

alan45
01-11-2010, 16:33
Im enjoying the series very much. Ian McShane in particular is brilliant as the evil bishop

Siobhan
01-11-2010, 16:35
Im enjoying the series very much. Ian McShane in particular is brilliant as the evil bishop

Alan.. if you like this, I would recommend reading the book and its follow up "world without end".. both fantastic...

alan45
01-11-2010, 17:45
Alan.. if you like this, I would recommend reading the book and its follow up "world without end".. both fantastic...

My nephew has 'World without end' and Im going to borrow it from him after this series ends

Siobhan
02-11-2010, 10:15
My nephew has 'World without end' and Im going to borrow it from him after this series ends

They are set 200 years apart and there is reference to the main characters from Pillars but both very good and you really get stuck into it.. Looking forward to getting "fall of the giants" his next big epic