PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Saunders beats Breast Cancer

alan45
08-07-2010, 01:51
Jennifer Saunders has fought and won a battle with breast cancer.
The 52-year-old comedienne had been fighting the disease since discovering a lump in her breast nine months ago.
She was given the all-clear last month - and celebrated her birthday this week by showing off a new short hairstyle, having worn a wig because of the side-effects of chemotherapy.

Brave: Jennifer Saunders celebrated her birthday this week by showing off a new short hairstyle

Going public: Miss Saunders with artist Tracey Emin in the south of France
The mother-of-three, best known for the hit sitcom Absolutely Fabulous and her comedy partnership with Dawn French, discovered the lump in October, according to friends.
They said the lump was caught early and she had it removed, followed by gruelling chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment.
A friend told the Daily Mail last night: 'Jennifer's treatment finished in June. She is very thankful that she has been given the all-clear and is feeling in very good spirits.'
Miss Saunders did not speak publicly about her illness and continued to appear at events such as last month's Great British Comedy Event.
She had taken to wearing a blonde wig covered by a bandanna while her hair grew back and even sported it as she watched Roger Federer crash out of Wimbledon against Tomas Berdych last week.
But she abandoned it as she attended artist Tracey Emin's 47th birthday in the south of France.
A friend at Miss Emin's party added: 'Jennifer looked beautiful at Tracey's birthday party in a white dress and long silver necklace.
'She was surrounded by her best friends, including designer Betty Jackson, whose clothes she has worn for years, so she felt confident that she was in much-loved company.
'It has been an ordeal, but Jennifer is getting better every day.
'She has great friends and family who have been by her side every step of the way.'
Miss Saunders has been married to fellow comedian Adrian Edmondson for 25 years and the couple have three daughters, Ella, 24, Beattie, 23, and Freya, 19. The family has a £1million property in Devon and a home in London.
The star is best-known as one half of Britain's most famous double acts, French and Saunders, which she launched with her best friend Miss French.

Heyday: Miss Saunders with Joanna Lumley in Absolutely Fabulous

At Wimbledon in wig and bandana
The pair went into comedy after meeting while on a drama teachers' course in 1977. However, they ended their long-time comedy partnership last year.
At the time, Miss French, 52 - who recently split from her husband of 25 years, comedian Lenny Henry - lamented: 'I often say that the only reason I come to work is to get some time with Jennifer.
'Left to our own devices, we'd never see each other because it gets so complicated to meet up. It is an odd job, though, isn't it? It's basically dressing up and hanging around with your mates. And we've got away with it for 30 years!'
Miss Saunders is also famed for creating the successful BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous where she played monstrous fashion PR Edina Monsoon. The series has been sold around the world.
According to the latest Cancer Research UK statistics, breast cancer is now the most common cancer in the UK.
In 2007, almost 45,700 women were diagnosed with breast cancer - that is around 125 women a day. However, almost two out of three women with breast cancer now survive their disease beyond 20 years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1292958/Jennifer-Saunders-given-clear-good-spirits.html#ixzz0t30iwRnq

Dazzle
08-07-2010, 15:42
She looks great in the pictures with that article.

Chloe O'brien
08-07-2010, 17:00
I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the news this morning. It's all we hear these days people having cancer. So glad she has fought it and is making a full recovery.

tammyy2j
09-07-2010, 10:11
She keep it quite and well done to her

moonstorm
09-07-2010, 11:02
she always comes across as a very nice person. I hope she makes a full recovery.

alan45
09-07-2010, 12:16
I think it good that when a TV Star gets Cancer that its well publicised. If the widespread publicity even saves one life by prompting women to examine themselves then it is worthwhile. Early diagnosis in most Cancers may make all the difference between life and death