PDA

View Full Version : 'Hollyoaks' unveils third new family

moonstorm
16-06-2010, 10:04
Alex FletcherFormer Brookside actress Alex Fletcher and Over The Rainbow contestant Stephanie Davies have been cast as part of Hollyoaks's third new family.

The O'Connors - a four-member Liverpudlian tribe - descend on the fictional Chester village in the summer and bring with them a hoard of heartache and family baggage.

Fletcher - who played the role of Jacqui Dixon in Brookside - has signed to play the part of Diane O'Connor, a step-mother of two who's desperate for a child of her own.

However, with her biological clock counting down by the day - and her second round of IVF apparently destined for failure - her need for a baby quickly spirals out of control.

Her drastic attempts to secure a child of her own, however, poses a threat to the family unit she's already part of.

Meanwhile, Diane's husband Rob - played by Gary Cargill - joins the ranks as deputy headmaster of Hollyoaks High.

With him, he brings his two children 15-year-old Sinead - portrayed by Over The Rainbow contender Stephanie Davies - and 12-year-old Finn (Connor Wilkinson).

Speaking of her role, Fletcher said: "I am delighted to be back filming at Lime Pictures where I started my career on Brookside - then Mersey TV. I worked with Paul on Brookside and I'm thrilled and honoured to be working with him again, especially as this is such an exciting time for Hollyoaks.

"I can't wait to see what else he has in store for the O'Connors and the show. And I'm really looking forward to working with Gary, Stephanie and Connor. We've already connected as a family and my real daughter was a huge fan of Over The Rainbow so she'll be delighted when I tell her that Stephanie is playing my daughter in Hollyoaks!"

Producer Paul Marquess commented: "We're very excited about the arrival of the O'Connors who burst onto screens in August with a very dramatic story-line. And I'm personally very excited to work with the fantastic Alex Fletcher again."

The O'Connors - who make their first appearance in August - are the latest in a string of signings by Marquess, who was tasked with the responsibility of turning around the soap's fortunes. He also masterminded the show's two other new families, The Sharpes and The Costellos.

Newcomers include former Footballers' Wives actress Phina Oruche (Gabby Sharpe) and ex-Bill star Kim Tiddy (Heidi Costello).

lizann
16-06-2010, 13:14
How many more

moonstorm
16-06-2010, 13:42
Well they are losing so many that they have to bring in lots more.

Perdita
24-06-2010, 12:02
Former Over The Rainbow star Stephanie Davis has revealed that she is thrilled with her new role in Hollyoaks.

The 17-year-old was cast as part of the soap's new O'Connor family earlier this month and is thought to have started filming yesterday.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, the Merseyside-born actress confirmed that her part in the show is a dream as she has "always wanted to be in Hollyoaks".

Davis explained: "When I was doing my GCSEs I would rather watch Hollyoaks than revise. I just wanted to act.

"Staying close to home is a bonus. I love Liverpool and everything happens for a reason. My on-screen family are fantastic and I'm loving every minute of it."

Davis's character Sinead O'Connor will make her Hollyoaks debut later in the summer alongside the rest of her screen family. The clan also features former Brookside actress Alex Fletcher in the role of stepmother-of-two Diane.

Chris_2k11
24-06-2010, 12:27
OMG Jacqui Dixon! :D I might start watching again!

alan45
31-07-2010, 11:22
Hollyoaks newcomer Alex Fletcher has revealed that she is excited about joining the show.

The former Brookside star, who recently took part in Celebrity MasterChef, will play Diane O'Connor in the soap and admitted that she has complete confidence in show producer Paul Marquess.

Speaking to PA, she said: "Paul is an amazing producer, and I'm not just saying this to get brownie points. He is the guy who did the live episode of The Bill and was the chief exec on Footballers' Wives - he just knows how it works."

She added: "In my Brookside days, I did some of my best stuff with him so I have complete confidence in anything he does really. I'm looking forward to the year ahead and seeing where the character goes.

"It's nice to come in now as there are three new families so there's a really good buzz about the place and it's getting the show back to being a drama and storyline-led. I'm dead excited about it and I think it's going to be an exciting year."

tammyy2j
01-08-2010, 21:54
I wasnt keen on her in Brookie tbh

Perdita
22-08-2010, 07:21
Hollyoaks newcomer Alex Fletcher has revealed that she lost her way in acting when she became a mother.

The actress, who will play Diane O'Connor in the Channel 4 soap, admitted that her daughter became her priority but that she is excited to finally return to her job.

Speaking to Holy Soap, she said: "I kind of lost my way a bit in the way I became a mum. Yasmin will always be my priority but you shelve yourself and I kind of forgot what I was good at. Any work I was getting was south or away. Yasmin was only a baby and I thought I wouldn't get the time back so I decided to have a bit of time out, see what I want to do, go from there.

"I qualified as a fitness instructor because I've danced since I was little and I love whole fitness thing. I had lost a lot of confidence and I lost that spark really. And once I started teaching I thought, 'I can do this, I'm feeling good again', so I got a new agent and she's been amazing."

Asked if she is nervous about returning to the spotlight, Fletcher said: "Not really. I'm more thinking about the family more and wondering how it will affect Yasmin. But she's got a good network of people around so I'm not too worried.

"I'm not nervous, I'm excited. I'm going to embrace it and run with it. I spent so long out of the public eye that I won't moan about the fact I'm back in it again. I did miss that."

tammyy2j
24-08-2010, 10:50
Hollyoaks has announced some exciting new signings in recent months, but if I had to name one in particular that I was particularly pleased about, it would definitely be Alex Fletcher.

Alex was a legend as Brookside's Jacqui Dixon and, after she's been away from our screens for so long, it's fantastic to see her in a new, high-profile role - especially in another soap!

Click here to read the main part of my recent interview with Alex, which sees her reveal all about her character Diane O'Connor.

Alternatively, read on for bonus bits from the chat - including Alex's thoughts on the groundbreaking soap which put her in the spotlight back in the '90s.

When you look back on Brookside, is it something that you're proud you were part of?
"Yeah, I grew up on that show - I was there from when I was 12 until I was 26. It was a massive part of my life, so when it finished, I was a bit shellshocked. I went on to do a couple of good jobs afterwards - including a spinoff of The Bill, which was another Paul Marquess thing. I've laid low for a while, but ultimately I've got a family and I want to work. I'd just love for people to say, 'Oh yeah, we remember her!' and hopefully I'll get a good welcome back."

Well, quite a few members of our forum have been saying how they're looking forward to seeing you on screen again…
"Have they?! I'm too scared to read things online! You read some things and you think, 'Oh, God!' because it's usually a 'Where is she now?' kind of thing. But that's really nice to hear - I didn't know anyone had said that. You're always going to get mixed reactions, so you've got to learn to embrace the good ones and ignore the ones that are negative."

Are you still in touch with any of the Brookside cast?
"Yes! I'm still in touch with Tiff Chapman, who played Rachel, and Diane Burke, who played Katie, Paul Byatt, who played my brother Mike - loads! Also Vince Earl, who played my dad. I don't think you could ever lose touch because we worked together for a long time. Obviously we don't see as much of each other, but we still send texts and Christmas cards and just see if everyone's okay. It's mostly the girls that I speak to."

Some Brookside fans have even been campaigning for classic episodes of the show to be released on DVD - do you think that's a good idea?
"I hadn't heard that, but Brookside is something I'm so proud of, so I'd never say never to anything to do with it. I just think it was a bit legendary, to be honest. There was a great headline that I'll never forget, which said 'Brookside bows out' - and I think it did. Yes, it took a dip in its ratings, but all the soaps do that. I don't know what happened with the channel, but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be and it finished. I think people were always fond of Brookie. You always had the few who said it was never a true representation of Liverpool, but on the whole it was something that the city was proud of and it kept a lot of people in a job."

And how does Diane compare to Jacqui Dixon?
"Well, she hasn't got a perm or a shellsuit, which is a bonus! (Laughs) I think she hasn't got so much of a sting in her tail. She's brought up two children who aren't biologically hers, so she's a good person. Her career is important to her, but not as much as it was for Jacqui Dixon - Jacqui wanted everything, didn't she? But Diane is a lot more sensitive and grown-up. She is a little bit over the top with the whole baby thing, but she's hopefully quite likeable. I really want people to like her and be able to relate to her."

What does Diane do for a living?
"She's in marketing and she's training to work for the local council. So she's got confidence and not unsure of herself in any way!"

It sounds like she has a great relationship with her stepchildren.
"She does, and I wanted that. I didn't want her to be the wicked stepmother. There are some scenes where it might be erring towards the side of her being cheesed off with the kids, but it's not really been written that way for the most part and I'm pleased about that. There's loads of good step-parents out there and it's a lot more common now - unfortunately, a lot more marriages do break down."

Did you feel under any pressure about Diane and the O'Connors being a big part of the Hollyoaks revamp?
"Obviously there is some pressure and I feel a massive responsibility because I want Hollyoaks to be good, and I want the ratings to stay where they're at because the show is doing really well again. I want to hopefully be part of something where people are asking, 'Did you see it?' and people are talking about it again. There is pressure but I can only do my best, but I do get that vibe that we are doing a good job and hopefully it'll come across that way."

Have you had much input into the character of Diane?
"Well, in terms of storylines, they plan a year ahead - but I think what happens is, once the writers see you on screen, they start picking up on stuff and take things down different avenues. You can't really go up and say, 'Well, I think this…' because you've just got to let people do their jobs! But they have let us run with some stuff in the way that we play the scenes, and that's what the director is there for. But so far, so good - I haven't had to put much input in other than just doing it!"

Are you pleased that Hollyoaks will now have a Liverpudlian family?
"Yeah - I am! I'm a proud Scouser and I think that it's great, especially considering it's filmed in Liverpool. I know they've had a couple of Scouse characters in the past, though. But I'm delighted - especially as there's a lot of talent in the city and it's opened up doors for other actors and actresses as well, not just us - they could possibly make our family a bit bigger, and I'm sure that the biological mother is going to rear her head at some point!"

Have you bonded well with your screen stepdaughter Steph Davis?
"Yeah, she's like my little mate and I feel quite protective over her - I think that's the maternal instinct in me! She's like a breath of fresh air, to be honest - and she's so talented. We did a photoshoot recently and she just got on the piano and performed a few of her own tunes that she's written. She's brilliant and we have a laugh, which is the important thing. I think that's coming across on screen as well - the editors have noticed that we've got something going on, so it's all good!"

You mentioned MasterChef earlier - was it quite nerve-wracking being on the show?
"It was terrifying! It was a bit like an out-of-body experience and I was wondering whether I was really there doing it! But it was one of the best things that I've done. I liked it because it was credible, and I was a fan of the show anyway. It was terrifying but brilliant!"

Have you cooked for any of your Hollyoaks colleagues yet?
"No! Actually, I tell a lie, Steph came round to my house recently and I cooked her a pizza! But that was bought in! We had a pizza night as a treat and my daughter Yasmin was completely starstruck by Steph, because she watched her on Over The Rainbow and actually voted for her. So it was nice that they got to meet. We've been working really hard, but it makes it so much nicer and easier if you get on with the people you work with, and we've just been very lucky that we've all gelled. We've had a laugh and it's been really good."

alan45
27-08-2010, 00:43
Over The Rainbow star Stephanie Davis makes her debut in Hollyoaks next week as part of the Channel 4 soap's new O'Connor clan. Viewers see her outspoken character Sinead for the first time when she starts at Hollyoaks High with her younger brother Finn. As well as the pressure of moving schools, Sinead also has a stressful home life as her stepmum Diane is going through a second round of IVF treatment. DS recently chatted with Stephanie to find out more.

How did you end up with the part in Hollyoaks?
"Well, I came off Over The Rainbow and Arlene Phillips asked me to come down and see her about Flashdance: The Musical. She asked me about the part of Gloria and being the understudy. I was in London at the time and returned home to see my family for a little bit, and then [casting director] Dorothy Andrews rang and asked me to come and see her over two things, and I didn't know what they were for. When I got there, I found out that one was for Hollyoaks, so I said, 'Brill!' I did one read-through but it was really quick, so at first I didn't think I'd got the part!"

What happened after that?
"I realised that Hollyoaks was what I wanted to do, and I had to let Arlene Phillips know what I was going to do about Flashdance. Hollyoaks made a really quick decision after the one read-through and told me that I got the part. Then I let Arlene and Flashdance know that I was going to take Hollyoaks. In a way, I'm gutted that I let Arlene down, but I'm so glad because I've had a fantastic time and I'm loving every minute of it."

When you left Over The Rainbow, your main ambition still seemed to be musical theatre - is that completely on the backburner now?
"Well, obviously I'd still love to do musical theatre and I'm really into music - I write my own songs on the piano. But I'd love to stay in Hollyoaks for quite a while - longer than a year and hopefully two or three years. I'm also working on some of my own tracks at the moment that I've written, so I'd like to bring them out."

We all know you from Over The Rainbow, but have you had TV roles before?
"Yeah, I had TV roles before Over The Rainbow - including Holby City, Doctors, The Outsiders with Nigel Harman and Parents of the Band with Jimmy Nail. I also did a TV advert, so I've done quite a few things before this."

How does Hollyoaks compare to theatre and the work you were doing on Over The Rainbow?
"I love it - I think it's brilliant! It really is very different. It's totally the opposite, the other end of the scale - because you've got to really play down your performances because you're acting as if it's real. So my character Sinead is now the other half of me - you've really got to put your mind to it like that. It's really good and I'm loving it, especially being back home because I love Liverpool."

How would you describe Sinead?
"She's very mischievous! She's a typical teenager in most ways, but she'll definitely be mischievous. There'll be a bit of trouble! She thinks that she rules the school in a way! But she's very protective over her family, especially her stepmum and her little brother. And obviously we come in with a bang! First of all, she's quite a boisterous character, and then eventually I think she takes on the adult role in the family and becomes more mature. She has to grow up quite quickly."

Did her parents deliberately name her after the singer Sinead O'Connor?
"Yeah, I think they did! Sinead's dad is really into his music, and they do make reference to it in certain scenes!"

Does Sinead have a good relationship with her stepmum?
"She does! But Sinead is quite hard to read sometimes. She's a bit upset that her stepmum is so desperate for a baby of her own, and I think she and her little brother are thinking, 'Well, aren't we good enough for you?' in a way. And put it this way, Diane will go to desperate measures to have a baby of her own. So I think she is close to her stepmum, but she doesn't show it too much. In terms of the family, she wants things to stay the same and doesn't want her relationships to change. She's very protective over them, and it puts up a wall. But as soon as Diane goes through the IVF treatment, it hits a certain point where it changes for Sinead. She loves her stepmum so much and you can tell they've got a special bond. There's some real deep, deep scenes coming up."

As Sinead is a bit unsure about the IVF treatment, does she feel like Diane and her dad Rob are ignoring her wishes?
"At the start, she's really against it and she does feel like she's being ignored, but then suddenly it all changes. You'll know what I mean when you see it on screen! It's really deep stuff and the story goes all over the place! But in the end, she's just more bothered about looking after her mum and keeping her family safe. She just wants it to be happy families, but I think deep down it never will be - something will always crop up…"

Does Sinead get on well with her brother Finn?
"Well, obviously it's a brother and sister relationship so she is sometimes quite moody with him! But she loves him loads, and you'll see in one of the first scenes that Amber Sharpe is being a bit nasty to him, so Sinead goes over to have it out with her! But then they end up really good friends. After that, when Sinead's at home, she's nice to him - but when she's with her friends, she's a bit horrible to him!"

Where is Sinead's biological mum?
"She left Sinead when she was three, and when Finn was a newborn baby. Whether she'll ever come back, I don't know - we'll have to wait and see!"

Who have you been sharing most of your screen time with?
"It's mostly been with the rest of the O'Connors, but I've been doing a bit with the Sharpes and a few of the other characters - I'm not allowed to say too much about that, though!"

Are there any potential love interests for Sinead?
"At the moment, no - but there will be! I'm sure there will be! You'll have to wait and see!"

Do you mind playing a character who's younger than you?
"No, because I get to play the schoolgirl and then after my first year, I'll get to play the Hollyoaks babe. So I'm getting the best of both worlds. I don't mind it at all, I'm actually liking all of the school scenes - Sinead gets to do the school thing and the family thing. I'm loving every minute of it and the storylines are fantastic."

Would you like to do any singing on the show?
"I don't know - maybe I should keep that separate! I'm not too sure really, because I don't think Sinead is the type of character who would want to get up and sing - I think that would be her worst nightmare! But in real life, hopefully in the next few years, I'll have some music out."

Who have you bonded with in the cast?
"Everyone really! Particularly the new guy Emmett, who's playing the new bad boy Brendan - he's really cool. And there's some of the old regulars like Ashley Taylor Dawson, Alice Barlow, Carley Stenson and Jorgie Porter - I'm friends with all of them. Everyone's lovely. We're all like one big group."

Is it a relief to have so many new cast members joining at the same time?
"Yes, we're all in the same boat, so obviously it's different to when just one person comes in - there's more security around you this way. But I'm really settled now - I feel like I've been here forever. I'm taking it all in and appreciating everything that's happened. To have come from Over The Rainbow straight into Hollyoaks, I just feel so lucky. Unemployment is something like 90% in this industry, so I appreciate everything."

You've always been a big fan of Hollyoaks - so is this a dream role for you?
"Yeah it is, it's always been one of my favourite TV shows! Back when I was doing my GCSEs, I'd always be watching Hollyoaks, but from my point of view I was concentrating on the continuity, the camera angles and the acting. My mum would say, 'It's okay for them - but you've got to get your studies behind you!' But I was never interested - I'd always be tapping my foot underneath the table or watching Hollyoaks, and now I can't believe I'm in it! I honestly can't describe how ecstatic I am, and it's not really hit me yet."

You've been filming for a few weeks now - so have you learned more about your character as you've gone along?
"Yeah, I have learned a lot more about Sinead and she's changed quite a lot. She actually changes her moods quite a bit, she's a funny little thing! I think she's going to bring a lot of good fun and mischief to Hollyoaks, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens! I'm excited myself to see what else will happen, so I can't wait!"

And what do you think of the decision to bring in a Liverpudlian family?
"It's brilliant, because we're the first Scouse family in 15 years - which is fantastic, that's really good. I also think our family has got some really good storylines and I'm working with Alex Fletcher, who I absolutely love to bits. As I've said, we've got some really deep scenes and I think it's similar to what people are going through in real life - I think it will really touch people. I've definitely become more aware of the issues that we've had to cover, because you don't realise that this goes on and how hard these things are."

As a fan of the show, what do you make of its new direction?
"Well, we've got Paul Marquess, the new producer, and he's fantastic. I think everyone's going to see a massive change in this next year. By next year's Soap Awards, Hollyoaks is going to be up and coming and there'll be so much going on. Everyone here is saying that it's going to be fantastic, especially with the storylines - I'm telling you, it's going to be brilliant."

alan45
27-08-2010, 00:45
Stephanie Davis wowed audiences in her bid to be the next Dorothy on Over The Rainbow. Now she's set to win new fans by playing Sinead O'Connor. She's part of the new family headed up by stepmum Diane (Brookie's Alex Fletcher) and dad Rob (Gary Cargill). Little brother Finn (Connor Wilkinson) completes the clan. Steph brought us up to speed.

How are you enjoying Hollyoaks so far?

I'm made up. It's brilliant.

How did your role come about?

I had just finished Over The Rainbow and I spoke to Arlene Phillips. She asked me to go down to Flashdance so I did a few dance routines with her, and she offered me the part of the understudy for Gloria. I was really happy then I had a call from Hollyoaks who asked me to come down for the new family.

What happened next?

I did one audition and found out I'd got it. We were in quite a rush because I had to let Arlene know. I ended up taking Hollyoaks because I absolutely love it. I used to watch it all the time. I came into work when I first started and was calling everyone by their characters' names. I followed my heart. And it's bonus that I can stay at home because it's filmed in Childwall.

Tell us about your character?

Sinead is quite a mischievous girl, she the bad girl in school. She's going to bring a lot of mischief into Hollyoaks. She's got two sides to her. She's got a mature grown up side, she's very protective and wants to look after her mum and dad and little brother Finn. But at school she is very different and gets into trouble. Her dad gets a job as deputy head and I rebel against that. I don't want anyone to know he's my dad.

Why did her parents call her Sinead O'Connor?

I do not know why! I think it's because my dad in it is quite a cool dad. He's down with it, and into all his music. Maybe he had a thing for Sinead O'Connor. I'm not sure.

Which characters will Sinead interact with?

I become friends with Amber, in the Sharpe family. I don't really become friends with her straight away because she's a bit mean to my brother. But she becomes quite cool. She's a lot younger than my character but has an older brother.

Are there any boys on the horizon for Sinead?

She comes in single. Hollyoaks has so many cute guys, who I am made up about working with! But she's quite free spirited, and doesn't want to stick with anyone too long. She gets a few lads liking her. There's one man in particular I like. We'll just have to wait and see!

What relationship does she have with her step-mum and how does she feel about Diane's IVF treatment?

At the start I think she is keeping it cool. She's not happy with it whatsoever and then an event happens which turns around her attitude. She becomes the mature one and has to take an adult role. She grows up quite quick.

Sinead is really close to Diane. We've had some lovely scenes.

How do you get on with Alex Fletcher?

I'm really close to Alex. We have similar personalities and get on really well. I used to watch Brookside and then when it finished I went on to watch Casualty. We've got some lovely scenes together that are quite emotional. Our family has all fitted in really well. It's been amazing.

Was Hollyoaks always your favourite soap?

It was. I love Hollyoaks. Because I do acting I look at it from a different point of view, the camera angles, the acting, the continuity. My mum would say 'it's okay for them, but you've got to work hard and do your GCSEs.' But I was more interested in acting and tapping my foot under the table at school.

Have you always wanted to be in Hollyoaks?

I have. And I've always wanted to be in the West End. I've always loved it. I write my own songs and play the piano. I have thought about it a lot but never thought I'd get there. It's a really hard industry. I'm really lucky to have gone straight from Over The Rainbow to Hollyoaks.

Who were you excited about meeting from the soap?

Jorgie Porter (who plays Theresa) because she went to the same school I went to so it was good to see her again. And Carley Stenson (Steph) - she's really lovely. Ashley Taylor Dawson (Darren) is such a funny guy. And Alex Carter (Lee), who's just come back in, is one of the funniest guys I've ever met. He's a really good friend.

What's it like working with the producer, Paul Marquess?

He's fab. I'm so happy to be working with him. I was really excited when I found out it would be him. Hollyoaks is going up and it's going to be fantastic. This year and by next year's soap awards it's going to be really, really good.

Have you heard from Andrew Lloyd Webber about your role in Hollyoaks?

This will sound really bad, but it's been that busy. You are you up at 6 every morning, you film until half 7 or 8. I've not had a chance. Some of the girls have gone into shows but I've been filming when they've had their opening nights. I'm going to see Steph, Sophie, Lauren and Jenny soon. I keep in touch with them all. And I've got to give Andrew a ring. I've got a contact number for him on my mobile.

How did you feel about Danielle winning Over The Rainbow?

I was made up. All of us girls went on a journey together and I was so happy to see one of my close friends get it. I loved Sophie and Danielle so in the end we were happy whoever won. They were both fantastic.

Are you still singing?

I am. I'm working on some songs. I want to stay in Hollyoaks for a really good while but I want to bring my music out. I'm working on a few tracks at the moment. Hopefully I'll bring them out in the next few years. That will be my next step I want to do it all! I'm being a bit greedy.

Do you have a dream West End role?

I'd love to play Mimi in Rent. It would be brilliant if that came back to the West End. And I'd love to play Elphaba in Wicked and Thelma in Chicago.

alan45
27-08-2010, 01:43
ACTRESS Stephanie Davis has revealed that Arlene Phillips offered her the chance to star in a theatre production of Flashdance before she landed her role on teen soap Hollyoaks.
Stephanie, 17, caught the former Strictly judge's attention after making it through to the live shows on Andrew Lloyd Webber hit Over The Rainbow ealier this year.

But after auditioning for the choreographer, Hollyoaks bosses offered her a role and she leapt at the chance.

Stephanie said she was "really happy" about Arlene's offer.

But she added: "Then I had a call from Hollyoaks, who asked me to come down for the new family.

"I ended up taking Hollyoaks because I absolutely love it. I used to watch it all the time."

Stephanie will play feisty Sinead O'Connor, who enters the show as part of a new family.

Former Brookside star Alex Fletcher will play her mother, Diane.

Perdita
01-09-2010, 15:35
Hollyoaks' ongoing revamp enters a new stage tonight as the Channel 4 soap's third new family make their debut on screen.

The O'Connor clan - consisting of new Hollyoaks High recruit Rob, marketing worker Diane and Rob's two children Sinead and Finn - have moved to the village recently and are excited to be making a fresh start when viewers see them for the first time.

As it's the first day of a new school year, Rob is all set to take up his new position of deputy head, while Sinead and Finn are preparing for their first day as new pupils. Diane, meanwhile, is every inch the proud wife and stepmum as her family embark on their new beginning.

Former Brookside star Alex Fletcher, who plays Diane, recently told DS that she "just wanted the family to come in and be likeable - a family who you can just warm to and care about", which can often be a difficult task when it comes to introducing a new clan to an established soap.

However, with a good mix of family warmth and tension after Rob is promoted to the position of headteacher on his first day - to Diane's delight and Sinead and Finn's horror - there's a real sense that the O'Connors will be adding the ingredient of an everyday, down-to-earth family unit that viewers will be able to recognise and relate to.

But just when we think we know all we need to about these new arrivals, things take a twist as the week progresses and Diane's IVF storyline comes to the fore.

Alexandra Fletcher
When Rob is late home from work and Diane needs somebody to administer her latest IVF shot, we quickly see a startling new side to the stepmum-of-two as she loses her cool and starts to panic, causing concern for Sinead and Finn.

With that incident and its aftermath resulting in tensions for the rest of the week, it seems that there's lots of unresolved issues bubbling under the surface for this family. Diane's desperate desire for a child of her own is now clear, but just how far will she go to achieve her dream? And what will the effect be on her two stepchildren and her marriage?

Alex recently told us: "This storyline is great because there's just loads of avenues that they could take it down… [Diane] is desperate - she really, really wants a baby of her own. That will unfold."

And with Alex also teasing that she has a second big storyline on the way, it looks like the O'Connors will be at the centre of plenty of drama on Hollyoaks in the months to come…

tammyy2j
13-11-2012, 22:54
Sinead is suppose to be pregnant and considers an abortion as she dont know who the father is