PDA

View Full Version : Actress Pauline Quirke to join Emmerdale

Abigail
29-05-2010, 01:57
Actress Pauline Quirke has signed up to join the cast of ITV1 soap Emmerdale, it has been announced.

The star, who is best known for her role in the comedy series Birds Of A Feather, will play Hazel, the mother of Aaron's love interest, Jackson.

"The show has really moved on; it's consistently good, there are some great characters and great storylines," Quirke said.

The actress starts filming next month and will appear on screens in August.

"I'm really looking forward to joining the show. My mum was a fan back when it was called Emmerdale Farm, so it's always been a part of my life," Quirke said.

"I've never done anything like this before so it's something different for me and I'm very happy to be a part of it."

Series producer Gavin Blyth revealed the actress will become part of an "enormous and gripping storyline" this autumn, which will involve Jackson and Aaron.

Since Birds Of A Feather ended in 1998, Quirke has starred in several TV dramas including The Sculptress, Cold Blood, Carrie's War and Missing.

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10186606.stm).

Perdita
29-05-2010, 07:16
Former Birds Of A Feather actress Pauline Quirke has joined the cast of Emmerdale as Jackson Walsh's mother Hazel.

The 50-year-old - who played Sharon Theodopolopodous for nine years alongside Linda Robson in the BBC One sitcom - begins filming at the soap's Leeds home at the end of next month and her larger-than-life character soon finds herself at the epicentre of "an enormous and gripping storyline".

Free-spirited teacher Hazel arrives in the Dales on a whistlestop visit to see her son Jackson (Marc Silcock), who is currently being wooed by troubled teen Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller).

However, as one newly-single villager takes a keen interest in her, Hazel's jetset lifestyle is halted when she becomes embroiled in a "hugely dramatic" plot that affects the lives of both her son and his lover.

Speaking of her signing, Quirke said: "I'm really looking forward to joining the show, my mum was a fan back when it was called Emmerdale Farm, so it's always been a part of my life. The show has really moved on, it's consistently good, there are some great characters and great storylines, I've especially loved Aaron's story."

She added: "I've never done anything like this before so it's something different for me and I'm very happy to be a part of it."

Series producer Gavin Blyth commented: "I am absolutely delighted that Pauline will be joining Emmerdale at such an exciting time. She is a fantastic actor who I know will do justice to this character."

He went on: "Alongside Aaron and Jackson, she will be at the centre of an enormous and gripping storyline this autumn/winter. One to really look forward to."

Quirke's other acting credits include Skins, Casualty, Cold Blood, The Bill and My Family.

More recently, she starred as DS Mary Jane Croft in a second series of BBC One's daytime drama Missing.

Choccie
29-05-2010, 16:02
cant wait - really like Pauline Quirke

Katy
29-05-2010, 19:39
I like Pauline Quirke as well. My favorite thing of hers was when she was in that country one, was it Down to Earth.

tammyy2j
29-05-2010, 19:54
She will be a good addition to the cast

heardki
29-05-2010, 20:03
Can't wait, she is a good actress.

tammyy2j
31-05-2010, 13:50
I wonder does she know Jackson is gay and does she support him

lizann
31-05-2010, 21:19
He went on: "Alongside Aaron and Jackson, she will be at the centre of an enormous and gripping storyline this autumn/winter. One to really look forward to."

Holly's drugs storyline maybe

tammyy2j
21-06-2010, 16:31
Is she to become a new love interest for Doug?

kayliee94
01-07-2010, 20:37
twitter message by mark silcock 1 july

"Just finished at the village with my new mum off to the gym and then a chill out I think. "

not long :)

Perdita
06-07-2010, 12:08
Pauline Quirke has admitted that she cried when she arrived on the Emmerdale set to film her first scenes.

The actress recently signed up to play Jackson Walsh's mother Hazel on the ITV1 soap and began filming at the show's home in Leeds last week.

Speaking to Radio Aire about her debut, Quirke revealed: "Last Wednesday was my first scene. [It was] in the village - that village is unbelievable. I cried when I saw The Woolpack.

"My mum absolutely loved Emmerdale and so to get on set and actually see that Woolpack, it was actually really emotional so I had a little cry. But then I pulled myself together!"

The 50-year-old also said that she is thrilled with her new co-stars after getting a friendly reception on her first day.

She said: "I've never worked on anything where I've been made to feel so welcome and the cast have been so lovely and helping me with the schedule. It's just been, honestly, unbelievable how nice everyone is."

Quirke's first Emmerdale scenes will air in August. Her character is expected to soon become embroiled in a dramatic plotline involving son Jackson (Marc Silcock) and his lover Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller).

Perdita
09-07-2010, 16:00
Here are the first pictures of Emmerdale newcomer Pauline Quirke on her first day at the soap's custom-built village in the Yorkshire Dales.

In May, producers signed the former Birds Of A Feather star to play Hazel Walsh, the mother to Aaron Livesy's love interest Jackson.

Speaking of her arrival, Quirke said: "My first scene was in the village - that village is unbelievable. My mum absolutely loved Emmerdale and so to get on set and actually see that Woolpack, it was actually really emotional so I had a little cry. But then I pulled myself together!"

Series producer Gavin Blyth told DS: "I'm a huge fan of Pauline. She's someone who I could picture in the show. We met up for a coffee and chatted about character and story that would see her involved in the Aaron and Jackson story now and going forward. She has loved how that story has played out and we got on tremendously well. By the end of it, she'd decided that Emmerdale was right for her - and I was delighted to hear her say it!"

Quirke makes her screen debut as Hazel on August 12.

Chris_2k11
12-07-2010, 11:33
I'm finding it hard to imagine her in this.

Liberty C
13-07-2010, 15:43
Pauline is on screen August 12th... it looks like she maybe Bob's new lady love...

Perdita
04-08-2010, 18:51
Pauline Quirke has revealed that Suzanne Shaw helped her settle into Emmerdale.

Speaking to TV Times, the Birds Of A Feather actress admitted that she found it difficult to organise her time as she began working on the show.

She said: "We sat down with her (Suzanne's) schedule and my schedule and she showed me how she worked it out. It's a bit of a skill. There's four directors doing 16 episodes and you have to work out who you're with."

Shaw added: "I was only returning the favour. When I started she took me through my scripts and gave me a few acting lessons. Now it's just great to have her on board!"

Quirke's character Hazel, who is the mother of Aaron's boyfriend Jackson, will be seen arriving in the village this Thursday.

alan45
05-08-2010, 11:52
http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/15049/Emmerdale_Gallery_9-1_1280935739_large.jpg?1280935825

http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/15047/Emmerdale_Gallery_8-1_1280935738_large.jpg?1280935823

Aaron meets Hazel

Perdita
06-08-2010, 11:06
Pauline Quirke has revealed that she is keen to be surprised by her forthcoming Emmerdale storylines.

When the star's casting as Jackson Walsh's mother Hazel was announced in May, the soap's series producer Gavin Blyth confirmed that she would be at the centre of an "enormous and gripping" plotline later this year.

However, in an interview with Inside Soap, Quirke insisted that she only knows a few details of what is in store.

Asked whether she could give any hints, the actress replied: "Not really! I've been told briefly what's to come, though I don't particularly want to know too far in advance.

"I love the element of surprise, and I'm not being coy about it, but I'm enjoying concentrating on Hazel's first few days in the village. It's really nice to see her settle in there and make some good friends."

Next week, fans will see Hazel moving into Smithy Cottage after Paddy offers her a place to stay - to the horror of Jackson's love interest Aaron.

Quirke commented: "She's got such a big personality, so it'll take some getting used to for Paddy and Aaron. Hazel's outgoing, bubbly and really friendly, too. She clearly adores Jackson as well - and they have some really nice moments together. Hazel's got a wicked sense of humour and has some very clever put-downs - especially for Aaron!"

alan45
12-08-2010, 11:23
Pauline Quirke has teased an upcoming "traumatic" Emmerdale storyline.

The actress, who makes her on-screen debut as Jackson's mother Hazel Walsh in tonight's episode, told Sharon Marshall on ITV's This Morning about the plot.

"Further on down the storyline, I mean there's a whole story that involves Aaron (Danny Miller), Jackson (Marc Silcock) and Hazel and suffice to say there's certainly not a lot of laughs when the event happens," she revealed.

"So we've got that coming up in a couple of weeks now."

She continued: "It's not me being coy about the storylines, I really don't want to spoil it for viewers but I'm so busy trying to learn what I'm doing at the moment that I can't remember what's happening in a couple of weeks time to be honest.

"But as I say, that is going to be fairly traumatic."

Emmerdale producer Gavin Blyth previously told Digital Spy that Hazel will become involved in Aaron and Jackson's story "at the start of winter".

"One that none of them see coming," he teased.

alan45
12-08-2010, 13:03
Pauline Quirke has revealed that she is trying to remember to use her fellow Emmerdale cast members' real names.

The actress, who makes her screen debut as Hazel Walsh tonight, told ITV's This Morning that she thought it would look bad if she used their alter ego's name.

"I'm desperately trying not to say their character names," she said. "You know, because it's just a bit rude."

The former Birds Of A Feather star added that she is "loving" her role as Jackson's (Marc Silcock) mother.

"[Hazel is] a larger-than-life character," she said. "She's very loud - you certainly know when she is in a room.

"She adores Jackson, so we will see where the storyline goes, but at the moment I'm just loving it."

Perdita
07-09-2010, 14:34
Pauline Quirke has revealed that there are some "serious" and "sad" moments ahead for her larger-than-life Emmerdale character Hazel Rhodes.

In recent weeks, fans have seen Hazel concentrating on settling into the village following her introduction as the mother of Aaron Livesy's boyfriend Jackson (Marc Silcock).

However, speaking to Digital Spy at the TV Choice Awards last night, Quirke said of Hazel's upcoming storylines: "She's very outgoing, very bubbly and very loud! Obviously the story will change over the next couple of months. It won't always be lots of laughs. I get a chance to do some serious, sad stuff as well."

Meanwhile, asked whether she would like her former Birds of a Feather co-star Lesley Joseph to join the soap, she replied: "We could have a little Birds reunion in The Woolpack! It'd be totally bizarre, but I'd love it… She'd have to be a sexy siren, wouldn't she, really? Maybe for Eric Pollard! Maybe Eric Pollard could have a little bit of frisky!"

Perdita
12-09-2010, 15:01
Pauline Quirke has revealed that she is staying on Emmerdale until at least April next year.

The actress, who plays art teacher Hazel Rhodes in the ITV1 soap, admitted that she is looking forward to the rest of her time on the show.

She told Holy Soap: "I'm contracted until next April unless they get sick of me before then, in which case I'll probably be out by Christmas. But fingers crossed. I'm meant to be there 'til next April.

"I've been there two months and I'm loving it. I'm having a really good time."

Hazel will soon become involved in a major storyline involving her son Jackson Walsh (Marc Silcock) and his boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller).

alan45
12-11-2010, 12:06
Pauline Quirke has joked that the Emmerdale cast have scared her with discussions about Yorkshire winters.

The actress was cast in the role of Hazel Rhodes on the ITV1 soap back in May, meaning that she is only just beginning to experience what her workplace is like in months of bad weather.

Speaking to The Mirror, Quirke explained: "Everyone has made me feel very welcome but they've frightened the life out of me about winter. They're saying you haven't seen anything 'til you've seen a Yorkshire winter.

"But I'm enjoying it - I haven't had to mess about with any animals yet. Though I've run through a few fields."

The star also discussed her affection for Hazel, who is currently supporting son Jackson (Marc Silcock) after he was seriously injured in a train crash.

Quirke said of the character: "She started off very bubbly and with these great one-liners but now we're seeing something else. I like her, I really do. She's a strong woman and it's all about protective instinct. She's trying to do the best she can for her son, like any mum would."

The 51-year-old has previously revealed that she will be staying with Emmerdale until at least April next year.

Perdita
03-12-2010, 17:41
Pauline Quirke has praised her Emmerdale co-stars Marc Silcock and Danny Miller for their work on the soap.

The former Birds Of A Feather Star - who now plays Silcock's on-screen mother Hazel - told Inside Soap that the pair had created a "genuine" gay relationship for Aaron and Jackson.

"I love that the boys have made it such a real and genuine relationship," she said. "Free of stereotypes."

However, she insisted that she does not need to give them "acting advice".

"You only need to watch them to see that I don't need to," she said. "They're brilliant and so young too. I think the world of Marc Silcock and Danny Miller - they're a pleasure to be around."

Perdita
16-12-2010, 06:10
FANS' favourite Pauline Quirke has been handed a new deal to stay in Emmerdale for at least another year. :cheer:

The former Birds of a Feather star was only supposed to be in the soap for a few months after she joined in August.

But viewers have taken the 51-year-old actress to heart for her convincing portrayal of larger than life chatterbox Hazel Rhodes. Pauline has been given a 12-month extension deal worth a reported £100,000.

Emmerdale boss Steve November said: "Pauline has been a real asset to the show and we're delighted she has agreed to stay. Next year is going to be dramatic for Hazel in many unexpected ways." Pauline said: "I've had a great time and was really thrilled to be asked to stay on longer."

The Sun

alan45
16-12-2010, 10:32
This is excellent news

tammyy2j
16-12-2010, 16:06
I really like Hazel and Jackson

Lizzz
18-12-2010, 16:54
Excellent news!

Chloe O'brien
19-12-2010, 00:22
Best Newcomer for next years Soap Awards. What do we all think?

Perdita
24-02-2011, 15:31
Emmerdale star Pauline Quirke has revealed that she is on a diet to lose over 8 stone in weight.

The actress - Hazel Walsh in the ITV soap - told The Sun that she has so far lost 2 stone in the first five weeks on the LighterLife weight-loss programme.

Quirke admitted that she had previously lost weight two years ago but put it back on after quitting her diet.

"I lost 3st and remember looking at myself in the mirror after slipping into a jacket that I hadn't fit into for a decade," she said. "I could look at my reflection for the first time in years and think, 'This is the real me'.

"But then I made the foolish mistake of going off the diet and slowly the weight crept back."

However, the determined 51-year-old continued: "This time it is for good, I'm never going back. Although I haven't told anyone apart from my family about my diet until now, a few people have commented I look slimmer. A compliment like that tastes better than any meal. I want to be able to wear nice clothes and feel completely happy about the way I look."

Admitting that she has reached the "heaviest I've been", she told the paper that the biggest wake-up call came when she was told that she needed a hip replacement operation in 2009.

"I was filming the BBC drama series Missing and had to do several takes where I got out of a car and walked up stairs. My joints were in agony and at first I thought it was my knee," she said. "But X-rays showed my left hip had almost completely worn away. Having a hip replacement in my late forties was a shock and, of course, I tried to make excuses about the reason why it had happened. But it came down to my weight."

Nevertheless, Quirke insisted that she has never let her weight put her off taking any acting roles.

"I've always chosen a part for the character and their story - never once has the character been the token 'fat one'," she added. "The women I've played have ranged from the head of a missing persons unit in Missing to a mother wrongly convicted of murdering a child in The Bill.

"The characters were real women and I hope I portrayed them that way. I've never felt my appearance or dress size has got in the way of my performance."

DS

Perdita
16-05-2011, 13:47
Pauline Quirke has confirmed that she will be leaving Emmerdale at the end of her current contract.

The actress will bow out from her role as Hazel Rhodes on the ITV1 soap at the end of the year, before starting work on a stage version of classic sitcom Birds of a Feather in 2012.

Speaking to What's On TV about her Emmerdale future, Quirke explained: "They very kindly asked me to stay on until Christmas. And then next year I'm going to be doing a tour of Birds of a Feather - we're going to bring Birds of a Feather back to the stage!

"We thought it was about time we resurrected us three old girls, so we'll be doing a tour next spring. But I'm certainly going to be on the Woolpack steps until this Christmas."

An Emmerdale spokesperson told DS today: "Pauline was originally due to appear for a year but extended her contract to the end of 2011, so there are many months of drama to come involving Hazel."

Hazel is currently involved in an assisted suicide storyline on screen as she recently told her son Jackson that she would help him to die. Jackson has repeatedly stated that he no longer wants to live due to his paralysis.

Quirke starred in Birds of a Feather alongside Linda Robson and Lesley Joseph between 1989 and 1998.

I will miss her as I like her character :(

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2011, 15:11
Oh no she'll go to jail for helping Jackson die.

Perdita
12-07-2011, 16:51
Pauline Quirke has revealed a dramatic weight loss by losing nearly seven stone since Christmas.

The Emmerdale actress, who plays Hazel Rhodes in the soap, told Woman that she made the decision to lose weight after discovering she weighed 19st 6lb at Christmas.

"It was a bacon or sausage roll of a morning, a meal at lunchtime in the canteen and then cooking myself a dinner back at the flat of a night. I was just getting bigger," she said.

"I knew exactly what I wanted to get to - 11st. As of last week I was 13st."

She added that she used traditional diet regimes of eating less calories rather than undergoing surgery.

"I won't put myself through any surgical procedure if there's an alternative. It's all manageable. I've never been hungry."

Quirke will be leaving Emmerdale when her current contract comes to an end later this year.

Picture: © PA Images / Ian West/PA Wire

Chloe O'brien
12-07-2011, 19:53
Does anyone know, which diet she used. They were talking about it on Lorraine this morning before I left for work, but i don't think they said only that she had 500 calories a day.

Perdita
12-07-2011, 20:12
Does anyone know, which diet she used. They were talking about it on Lorraine this morning before I left for work, but i don't think they said only that she had 500 calories a day.

Emmerdale star Pauline Quirke has revealed that she is on a diet to lose over 8 stone in weight.

The actress - Hazel Walsh in the ITV soap - told The Sun that she has so far lost 2 stone in the first five weeks on the LighterLife weight-loss programme.

Quirke admitted that she had previously lost weight two years ago but put it back on after quitting her diet.

"I lost 3st and remember looking at myself in the mirror after slipping into a jacket that I hadn't fit into for a decade," she said. "I could look at my reflection for the first time in years and think, 'This is the real me'.

"But then I made the foolish mistake of going off the diet and slowly the weight crept back."

However, the determined 51-year-old continued: "This time it is for good, I'm never going back. Although I haven't told anyone apart from my family about my diet until now, a few people have commented I look slimmer. A compliment like that tastes better than any meal. I want to be able to wear nice clothes and feel completely happy about the way I look."

Admitting that she has reached the "heaviest I've been", she told the paper that the biggest wake-up call came when she was told that she needed a hip replacement operation in 2009.

"I was filming the BBC drama series Missing and had to do several takes where I got out of a car and walked up stairs. My joints were in agony and at first I thought it was my knee," she said. "But X-rays showed my left hip had almost completely worn away. Having a hip replacement in my late forties was a shock and, of course, I tried to make excuses about the reason why it had happened. But it came down to my weight."

Nevertheless, Quirke insisted that she has never let her weight put her off taking any acting roles.

"I've always chosen a part for the character and their story - never once has the character been the token 'fat one'," she added. "The women I've played have ranged from the head of a missing persons unit in Missing to a mother wrongly convicted of murdering a child in The Bill.

"The characters were real women and I hope I portrayed them that way. I've never felt my appearance or dress size has got in the way of my performance."

DS on 24 February 2011

Perdita
14-07-2011, 10:03
Pauline Quirke has revealed that she and husband Steve will renew their wedding vows next month.

The Emmerdale actress told Woman magazine that the decision had come about after Steve saw pictures showing her dramatic weight loss at the British Soap Awards. Quirke recently confirmed that she had lost almost seven stone since the start of the year.

"The picture made it to one of the magazines," she recalled. "Someone showed it to my Steve and I got a text from him saying, 'Wow. I've just seen the picture of you at the Awards. You look fantastic. I wish I could marry you all over again'.

"From that little seed, we are going to renew our wedding vows in August at home in Buckinghamshire with all our friends there."

The 51-year-old admitted that she wanted to lose eight stone in total, after weighing in at more than 19 stone at Christmas. "I was just getting bigger," she said.

Quirke will bow out of her role as Emmerdale's Hazel Rhodes at the end of her current contract.

:love:

Perdita
19-07-2011, 12:01
Pauline Quirke: 'Emmerdale door left open for Hazel'

Pauline Quirke has revealed that she would be interested in returning to Emmerdale at some point in the future.

Earlier in the summer, the actress announced that she will be leaving the soap at the end of the year before starting work on a stage version of classic sitcom Birds of a Feather in 2012.

The star's character Hazel Rhodes is currently at the centre of Emmerdale's highest-profile plot after helping her son Jackson Walsh to die in an assisted suicide storyline. Jackson's boyfriend Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller), who played the crucial role in his death, will face a murder trial in next week's episodes.

Speaking about her Emmerdale future in an interview with TV Times, Quirke explained: "Aaron and Hazel will always have this incredible bond, and hopefully that's something the writers will explore after I've left - I'm going at Christmas.

"I've been away from my own children while I've been in Leeds and Danny has been my lovely surrogate son. He's been a joy to be around. We'll be friends for life."

"I've had such a fantastic time at Emmerdale," she continued. "I couldn't have done this when my children were younger because I liked to be at home with them. Now they're grown-up, I was able to be in Leeds during the week and although I was a bit homesick, people like Danny made me feel like part of the team from day one."

She added: "They've very kindly left the door open for me. I'd love to come back. I love it at Emmerdale and I will be sad to go. There will be a lot of tears."

Aaron's Emmerdale trial plays out on screen all next week.

Would be great to see her back one day, to see how Aaron is getting on maybe :thumbsup:

Perdita
18-10-2011, 16:18
Emmerdale star Pauline Quirke has said that she is still unsure of how her character Hazel Rhodes will leave the show.

The actress will film her final scenes for the ITV1 soap later this year, before embarking on a stage version of classic sitcom Birds of a Feather in early 2012.

Quirke has now told The Mirror: "I'll miss Emmerdale. It's the most beautiful location and I've made some fantastic friends.

"It's also the first time I've got to work on a soap and I've loved it. I've had a real mix of drama and comedy, so it was perfect for me."

She continued: "I don't know how I'm leaving the Dales. I don't even know if it'll be with a bang or a whimper. But they've said they're not going to kill me off, which is nice."

Quirke was recently nominated for the 'Serial Drama Performance' prize at the National Television Awards, which take place in the New Year.

Glen1
19-10-2011, 15:30
Good sign she's not been killed off, would be great to see her return if only for a short spell. Her & Bob could be a good team.

Perdita
19-01-2012, 19:15
Emmerdale star Pauline Quirke has confirmed that she would be interested in returning to the soap in the future.

The actress recently filmed her final scenes as Hazel Rhodes, who bows out from the village for a fresh start next week.

Quirke decided to leave the ITV1 show as she is working on a stage version of Birds of a Feather this year and also wishes to spend more time with her family.

However, speaking to Inside Soap, the 52-year-old explained: "Oh, I'd love to come back to the show. Stuart Blackburn, Emmerdale's series producer, told me that they're all sorry to see me go, so when I want to come back, please do! You can't say fairer than that.

"Bob will be there, and Jackson is buried in the village, so there's a link for Hazel to be written back in. I kept dropping hints that I'd like to work in the café and managed to wangle myself in there - but I never got a chance to work in the factory!"

She added: "In a couple of years, my son Charlie will have finished his A-Levels, so we'll have to see."

Emmerdale airs Hazel's final episode on Wednesday at 7pm on ITV1.

Perdita
25-01-2012, 12:54
Emmerdale star Pauline Quirke has admitted that she shed real tears while filming her emotional exit scenes.

Fans of the soap will see Quirke's character Hazel Rhodes depart the village tonight, deciding that the time is right for a fresh start. In real life, the 52-year-old chose to bow out from the ITV1 show as she is working on a stage version of Birds of a Feather in the coming months.

Hazel bids a final farewell to troubled Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) before she leaves, marking the end of a turbulent journey for the pair.

Quirke told Daybreak this morning: "Tonight, there's a scene where Aaron and Hazel say goodbye to each other, and I've got to be honest, I don't know how much of that was acting and how much of that was me and Danny actually quite upset. So it was an emotional scene. I'm very friendly with Danny - and all of them."

The actress added that she is hoping to see Miller and Chelsea Halfpenny (Amy Wyatt) recognised at tonight's National Television Awards, where they are nominated in the 'Serial Drama Performance' and 'Newcomer' categories respectively.

"[Danny's] terrific. He's absolutely one of the most talented actors that I've ever come across - and bear in mind he is 21," she explained. "And so is Chelsea, who plays Amy - the stuff that she's done this year. So I really hope that they both get recognised for it."

Quirke also reaffirmed her desire to return to Emmerdale in the future.

"They very, very nicely asked me if I'd come back," she confirmed. "We're coming up to the 40th anniversary, so hopefully I'll come back. Hazel's gone off to Barcelona, but hopefully she will appear in the not-too-distant future."

Emmerdale airs Hazel's final episode tonight at 7pm on ITV1.

Perdita
01-10-2015, 13:45
Pauline Quirke has claimed that she would be open to returning to Emmerdale for another stint.

The actress played Hazel Rhodes on the ITV soap from 2010 to 2012, before leaving to pursue other projects.

Speaking to Digital Spy about whether she would return, Quirke said: "I really did love it. The whole feel of the thing, I can't describe it.

"I had such a nice time and I made such good friends, but at the end of the day it was a 400-mile round trip every weekend. I did it every other weekend and my husband or kids would come up to see me, but I was very, very happy on it, so if they ever do ask me back... "

Long-term viewers will remember that Hazel was the devoted mother of Jackson Walsh, and she was involved in a high-profile assisted suicide storyline after he asked her and his boyfriend Aaron Livesy to help him die.

When Aaron visits Hazel she finally plucks up the courage to ask him to go with her. Aaron leaves in a rush and takes out his anguish by hurting himself

Quirke said: "I mean, Danny [Miller], who played Aaron, he's back in it now. So who knows? If I was asked, I would love to pop in again, yeah.

"When I'm watching it and I see Bob - that was always the thing, with Hazel and Bob. So you never know. There could be a little something there and I could burst into the Woolpack after three years and go, 'So! What's been happening?'

"I'm good friends with Lucy [Pargeter] and Charley Webb and Zoe [Henry]. So yeah, if they'd have me back I'd definitely go."

Quirke's new show You, Me and the Apocalypse airs on Wednesdays at 9pm on Sky 1.

digitalspy

Telly Watcher
03-10-2015, 13:48
I really don't see any point in Pauline Quirke coming back to Emmerdale as Hazel Jackson.

Hazel was an outsider from the start, with Pauline Quirke even being a Londoner-type (a former Birds of a Feather and East Enders actress) who maybe got her Emmerdale part as Jackson Walsh's mother by knowing the Series Producer or somebody else "high-up" on Emmerdale? Her southern accent was never right for the Yorkshire-based Emmerdale show and the Hazel character left Emmerdale during 2012 after a very odd storyline involving son Jackson's assisted suicide. Pauline Quirke presently lives in Buckinghamshire.

Maybe Pauline Quirke is just short of a paid acting role for now and just fancies a role in Emmerdale as part of some sort of personal nostalgia trip and because of Emmerdale's presently increasing trend in TV viewer numbers? I for one would not want Pauline Quirke as Hazel to reappear on Emmerdale, ever. My impression is that Hazel left Emmerdale in complete disgrace. For Hazel to re-appear on Emmerdale soon/ever seems completely ridiculous to me, it sounds as even a very desperate wish for an otherwise well-respected actress. I really don't think Aaron needs this Hazel character and any daily reminders about Jackson ever again.

Sources:

Pauline Quirke would be open to Emmerdale return: 'I would love to pop back again'
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a671387/pauline-quirke-would-be-open-to-emmerdale-return-i-would-love-to-pop-back-again.html

Jackson Walsh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Walsh

Pauline Quirke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Quirke