PDA

View Full Version : Rab’s Back

Perdita
19-05-2010, 06:16
COMEDY icon Rab C Nesbitt will return next year for a 10th series.
The BBC has commissioned six new episodes, starring Gregor Fisher as the string vest-wearing Glaswegian.

Cheryl Taylor, who commissions comedy at the BBC, said: "Rab C is an enduring and iconic comedy creation."

Rab was first seen on sketch show Naked Video in the 1980s.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2978208/Comediy-icon-Rab-C-Nesbitt-returns-to-BBC-with-new-series-in-2011.html#ixzz0oLk426bW

Can never understand a word he is saying :lol:

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 08:20
Good News - I love Rab but then being Scottish I can understand him!

Siobhan
19-05-2010, 13:17
Good News - I love Rab but then being Scottish I can understand him!

I love the scottish accent but have some troubles with Rab.. now I put on the telly text and can get more of an understanding

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 15:23
Ok, I will have to start giving Glaswegian lessons on here :lol:

tammyy2j
19-05-2010, 15:27
I cant understand what he says but I do love Rab and his smelly netty vest :lol:

Siobhan
19-05-2010, 15:32
Ok, I will have to start giving Glaswegian lessons on here :lol:

I went to Glasgow and I can generally understand the scottish accent (years of supporting them and listening to Billy) but there was one guy there I ask direction off and not on word did I understand.. he sounded like Rab (a very very very drunk Rab)

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 15:43
Oh you've met my Dad then Shiv :lol:

Siobhan
19-05-2010, 16:03
Oh you've met my Dad then Shiv :lol:

Possibly :lol: I was very drunk so might explain why I didn't understand him.. My niece has just moved to Glasgow.. she loves the place

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 20:07
Glad she loves it, it has a lot to offer (apart from the national sport of getting drunk, which we are very good at!). The only thing that spoils it is the weather.

alan45
19-05-2010, 20:39
It shows how good an actor Gregor Fisher is. He plays the part of Rab so well that you would swear he actually spoke like that. In actual fact Gregor is a well spoken gentleman and totally unlike Rab

Chloe O'brien
20-05-2010, 11:10
It shows how good an actor Gregor Fisher is. He plays the part of Rab so well that you would swear he actually spoke like that. In actual fact Gregor is a well spoken gentleman and totally unlike Rab

Your right ALan. I used to be a chambermaid many moons ago and one of the hotels I was working in Gregor Fisher was staying. I met him and he was so quiet well polite spoken. You wouldn't think he played the role of Rab.

alan45
03-10-2011, 00:38
AS YEARS go, there wasn’t a lot to smile about in 1986.
Mrs Thatcher was in charge, the Chernobyl disaster shocked the world and comedian Freddie Starr allegedly ate a hamster.
One bright spot on the horizon was found in Govan, where comedy show Naked Video introduced the world to all-round scrounger, philosopher and part-time drunk Rab C. Nesbitt.
No one knew then that Rab, played superbly by Gregor Fisher, along with long-suffering wife, Mary Doll (Elaine C. Smith), would become household names.
Having hung up his manky headband in 1999, Gregor and the original cast were tempted back for a Christmas special in 2008, which pulled in a whopping 5million viewers, and earned the show a Bafta award.
A new series followed last year, with an older, sober Rab fighting hard to stay off the sauce and dispense wisdom as an alcohol counsellor.
Gregor has once more donned the crumpled suit, string vest and dirty bandage for a new series which starts next Wednesday, October 5.
“I’ve been doing this show now for 25 years and it was lovely to be with the cast again as we are all good friends. In fact I’ve been pals with Tony Roper (Jamsie) for 30 years since we worked together for Dundee Rep,” said Gregor.
“This show is a bit like putting on a old jacket and feeling comfortable in it, although they’ve had to let the trousers out a considerable bit.
“For this series we also have the bonus of special guests such as Richard E. Grant, Susan Boyle and John Sessions, and they all brought something new to it.”
Rab’s famous monologues, direct to the camera, continue to play a pivotal role.
“My favourite Rab monologue is the very first one,” said Gregor.
“It’s a well-documented fact but I didn’t originally care for the character because I thought the monologue, which wasn’t packed with gags, would die a death.
“By chance I saw the original scene recently and realised it was a clever, good piece of writing.
“Looking back, I was young and stupid and thought I knew everything about being in a sketch show, but I realise now it was the character of Rab that was engaging.
“The key to the whole series has been good writing, and this is of the highest quality, really terrific stuff,” said Gregor, whose son Jamie is presently at university in Dundee.
As Gregor revealed, this series has several famous faces popping up, including celebrated film star Richard E. Grant.
He may talk with a wonderful cut-glass accent but when asked: “Fit like the day?” needs no translator.
The handsome actor grew up in Swaziland – he wears two watches, one set at Swaziland time – and spends large chunks of his life in exotic locations.
But there’s one place that remains special to him – Aberdeen and the north-east of Scotland.
He last visited three months ago, and is familiar with Doric as his wife Joan Washington, a highly respected vocal coach who has helped stars including Glenn Close, Nicolas Cage and Ewan McGregor nail an accent, is an Aberdonian.
“I really love coming up to Aberdeen and the north-east, particularly the coast area around Collieston where the family have a little holiday cottage,” said Richard.
“We used to come up regularly to visit my mother-in-law who was in her 90s, but sadly she passed away last year.
“We still come and visit family and friends as often as we can because it’s such a beautiful area,” said Richard, who wouldn’t rule out the idea of putting down permanent roots in the north-east one day.
Although having a busy day – Richard was in London meeting his old pal Peter Capaldi for lunch before jetting off to Australia to film his role in the comedy movie Kath & Kim: The Filum – he was delighted to talk about Rab.
“I’ve been a fan of Rab C. Nesbitt for a long, long while, ever since watching Gregor Fisher bring him to life in Naked Video and the Baldy Man,” he said.
“I’ve watched every episode and was thrilled that the show came back after being putting in mothballs, and was even more thrilled to be asked to appear in an episode of the new series.
“I play a government minister for work, Chingford Steel, who knocks on the Nesbitts’ door and gets whacked on the head with a frying pan by Mary Doll.
“They decide to kidnap me and it ends up with a full-scale siege.”
Richard appears in episode one, Broke, which starts on BBC2 at 10pm.
When Chingford Steel activates his official panic alarm to summon the police, Rab and Mary realise they will be arrested as soon as they let him go, so they decide to keep him.
As the siege situation develops, the police inspector in charge mistakenly decides the kidnappers are terrorists and asks for their demands.
This seems too good an opportunity for Rab and Mary to miss, so they “demand” a heated towel rail and a better bus service to the town centre.
Elsewhere, Mary and her pal Ella (Barbara Rafferty) form a “girl” group to enter Govan’s Got Talent, featuring a hilarious cameo from Scottish superstar Susan Boyle.
Also making guest appearances are Shonagh Price, from Aberfeldy, who plays Dr Lessnoff; John Bett, currently directing the fabulous new musical Para Handy: A Voyage Round the Stories of Neil Munro, and Alan McHugh who will return to star in pantomime at His Majesty’s Theatre in Aberdeen later this year.
Meanwhile, Jamsie (Tony Roper) gains a baby son and almost loses that part of his body most dear to him; and Rab turns the air blue on his local radio station and falls out with everyone from the city council to his local church.
But Rab’s still got a kind word for the camera. In these times of economic hardship, nobody talks more sense than Rab C. Nesbitt, Scotland’s favourite nutcase.

Perdita
03-10-2011, 06:44
I have tried to watch him on tv when he had regular shows, but can't understand a word he is saying :lol:

alan45
03-10-2011, 08:54
I have tried to watch him on tv when he had regular shows, but can't understand a word he is saying :lol:

That's why they have subtitles. :D