PDA

View Full Version : Electonic notebooks - do they exist

Siobhan
12-04-2010, 12:06
I am basically looking for a small laptop that only does word process and/or graphic. I don't want it to be internet ready or anything like that.. something like an electronic typewriter with a screen.. Does that even exist.
It is for Charley, she is getting big into writing and is forever hogging the computer at home to write her stories. I think it would be nice if she had her own kinda laptop so she could work away when she wanted to and carry it with her if she has ideas but getting a proper laptop is a big NO as she is only 8.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this or can you suggest something else that would meet what I am looking for?

alan45
12-04-2010, 12:13
Quite a few electric typewriters come with a small screen which allows a limited amount of editing although the screen usually only shows about 4 lines or so before you have to scroll it. The likes of Canon make the starwriter typewriter/word processor bu to be honest a cheap laptop costs less and in the end has more use. Have you thought about an oldish 2nd hand laptop

Siobhan
12-04-2010, 12:43
mmm.. might have to start looking into that.. I will just have to disable all the stuff I don't want her to have

alan45
12-04-2010, 13:25
mmm.. might have to start looking into that.. I will just have to disable all the stuff I don't want her to have

A fairly old lappy will not have a built in wireless modem so she wont be able to access the internet. Apart from that there isnt really much else on a computer to harm her

Dazzle
12-04-2010, 14:43
I think a cheap/old laptop is the best idea too. You can uninstall Internet Explorer or any other browser so that your daughter can't access the internet.

Chloe O'brien
13-04-2010, 00:06
What about your work Shiv? Is there no comps passed their usage that they could donate to you.

Siobhan
13-04-2010, 09:23
What about your work Shiv? Is there no comps passed their usage that they could donate to you.

:lol: oh you're serious! My job would make you pay for all the laptops here... they sell "at employee discount" but you would get a better computer elsewhere for same price.