PDA

View Full Version : Hawley: 'Corrie fans like John Stape'

Perdita
30-03-2010, 18:27
Coronation Street star Graeme Hawley has claimed that the soap's fans have been won over by John Stape in recent months.

In an interview with This Morning, the actor suggested that his character has secured sympathy from viewers since being released from prison last November.

Former school teacher John had served time behind bars for the abduction of his ex-lover and pupil Rosie Webster, played by Helen Flanagan.

However, reflecting on how things have changed since then, Hawley commented: "What's been so brilliant about the way they've written the character is that, on paper, he should be absolutely hated by everybody because of all the things that he's done.

"But the way they've done it, I do think there is this thing about him where you can't help but like him. I know most people don't go out and kidnap people and things like that, but I think we do have sympathy for people who mess up because it's a very real thing.

"I think it's a lot more interesting to see a good person who does bad things because life isn't black and white."

Hawley also insisted that John has "lots of good intentions and the best will in the world".

He added: "He makes lots of bad decisions very often, which is very bad for him but very good for soap!"

DS

Perdita
30-03-2010, 18:27
Coronation Street star Kym Marsh has assured fans that she will be "fine" following her recent trip to hospital.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield's Michelle Connor, was last week forced to cancel a day's worth of scenes in order to make the visit.

Writing in her New magazine column, Marsh confirmed that she is currently receiving treatment for a problem which has been present for some time.

The 33-year-old explained: "You may have read in the papers that I went into hospital last week, although it wasn't half as dramatic as it was made out to be.

"My so-called 'mystery illness' is a medical condition that has been ongoing for the last year. I'm receiving regular treatment, so I will be fine, and I want to thank all the staff at the hospital for looking after me so well during my stay."

She added: "Now I'm looking forward to getting back to work on Coronation Street."

DS

lizann
30-03-2010, 19:33
Coronation Street star Graeme Hawley has claimed that the soap's fans have been won over by John Stape in recent months.

In an interview with This Morning, the actor suggested that his character has secured sympathy from viewers since being released from prison last November.

Former school teacher John had served time behind bars for the abduction of his ex-lover and pupil Rosie Webster, played by Helen Flanagan.

However, reflecting on how things have changed since then, Hawley commented: "What's been so brilliant about the way they've written the character is that, on paper, he should be absolutely hated by everybody because of all the things that he's done.

"But the way they've done it, I do think there is this thing about him where you can't help but like him. I know most people don't go out and kidnap people and things like that, but I think we do have sympathy for people who mess up because it's a very real thing.

"I think it's a lot more interesting to see a good person who does bad things because life isn't black and white."

Hawley also insisted that John has "lots of good intentions and the best will in the world".

He added: "He makes lots of bad decisions very often, which is very bad for him but very good for soap!"

DS

I dont

LalaGaga
30-03-2010, 19:45

DS

Im a fan of John Stape!

Dazzle
31-03-2010, 12:47
I like John Stape too. It's quite good fun wondering what disastrous decision he'll make next.

LostVoodoo
31-03-2010, 17:05
i like Stape too, he's someting a bit different as a character - not a black and white generic type of character but with various shades of grey.

LalaGaga
31-03-2010, 18:54
Graeme plays John Stape well. That's why we like the character.