PDA

View Full Version : 'Hollyoaks' star in Fate Awards triumph

Perdita
29-03-2010, 15:25
Hollyoaks actor Gerard McCarthy has been named 'Media Personality Of The Year' at Northern Ireland's Fate Awards 2010.

The 28-year-old, best known for his role as Kris Fisher on the Channel 4 soap, received the accolade last night during a ceremony held at Belfast's Europa Hotel.

Sky News anchor Eamonn Holmes was another big winner, taking home the 'Fate Legend Award' in recognition of his long-established career in the TV industry.

The Fate Awards are held each year in order to showcase "the very best the Northern Ireland entertainment and hospitality industry has to offer". Most of the other prizes were awarded to the country's best restaurants, bars and clubs.

This year's Fate Awards were hosted by I'm A Celebrity... winner Christopher Biggins, while stars who turned out for the ceremony included Michelle Heaton, Carol McGiffin, Gail Porter, Samantha Fox and Kim Woodburn.

Organiser Michael Mervyn-Jones, publisher of Fate Magazine, commented: "I am extremely proud to be applauding the people who have worked through one of the most difficult trading years of recent times, to contribute to Northern Ireland's thriving entertainment and hospitality, and I am thrilled to see so many of the créme of the industry here, under one roof, recognising and celebrating the successes of the past year."

alan45
31-03-2010, 12:13
Hollyoaks star Gerard McCarthy has admitted that he was "so shocked" when he was named 'Media Personality Of The Year' at Northern Ireland's Fate Awards.

The actor, who plays cross-dresser Kris Fisher on the Channel 4 soap, received the accolade last week during a ceremony held at Belfast's Europa Hotel.

Speaking to Bang Showbiz about his success, McCarthy commented: "It's really weird, because if you take people that are from Northern Ireland, like right up at the A-list celebrities, you've got Liam Neeson, you've got James Nesbitt and then you've got TV presenters like Eamonn Holmes, Christine Bleakley and Patrick Kielty.

"They're all at the top of their games, so even for me to be remotely considered in the same league as them, and just to be nominated with them was huge."

He added: "To win it, I was so shocked. I think it had a lot to do with the voting system, where you had to email in and text in. Because our show is aimed at young people we've got an awful lot of younger people, where that sort of voting is accessible, whereas it may not be if your fanbases are a bit older."

Sky News anchor Eamonn Holmes was another big winner at the Fate Awards, taking home the 'Fate Legend' prize on the night.