PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

Perdita
29-03-2010, 14:20
John Middleton has said that the latest twist in his Emmerdale storyline tackled an important issue.

Earlier this month, viewers saw unstable Sally Spode (Siân Reeves) drugging Middleton's character Ashley Thomas at his home before leading him upstairs to spend the night with him.

In an interview with This Morning today, the actor explained that the dark moment marked a crucial turning point in the plot, which has seen Sally scheming against Ashley and his wife Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) for months.

Middleton commented: "It [was] very sinister. I hesitate to get too heavy about it, but it is an issue - men being attacked in this manner. Apparently it does happen and according to the police it's incredibly under-reported because men are very embarrassed about it."

The star conceded that Ashley was foolish to let Sally into his home, but noted that the character's main flaw is "he always tries to see the best in people - even psychopaths like Sally".

On the implications for his alter ego, Middleton added: "For Ashley, it's the worst thing that could have possibly happened. Because of the nature of the drug, he has little recollection of what actually happened but it does come back in flashbacks. It's an absolute living nightmare."

If a man is drugged that way, can he erm perform? :searchme:

Perdita
04-04-2012, 18:23

Perdita
21-04-2012, 13:15
Emmerdale star John Middleton has revealed that fans avoid him because of his abusive character.

The actor plays Ashley Thomas in the ITV1 soap, who is mistreating his elderly father Sandy, played by Freddie Jones.

"People are avoiding me. My own mother doesn't like what's happening. It's very uncomfortable and I'm approaching what is going to happen with trepidation," Middleton told the Daily Record.

"I'm a season ticket-holder at Newcastle and people have stopped coming up to speak to me. I've been going to the same coffee rooms for years and there was a party of women who would normally have come across and spoken but they didn't say a thing.

"John, who owns the place, said, 'People take it so seriously. They told me that they didn't know what to say and that I should go across and tell you to stop being so horrible to everyone'.

"My mum doesn't like it and a lot of her friends have stopped watching it. They've been asking, 'What's happening to Ashley?' My mother is a former English teacher, with a keen interest in drama, and my dad was a television writer, so she knows it's not real and she tells me I'm doing tremendously well - but she doesn't like the storyline."

In Thursday's (April 26) episode, Ashley visits the Woolpack to admit that he hit Sandy. In Friday's (April 27) episode he is arrested by police officers on suspicion of assault.

"I have no idea where this is going at the moment. It's very unsettling and I'm approaching it with a lot of trepidation. It's almost like a new start - I've been given a new character.

"The consequences of this is he can no longer be a vicar. In the coming weeks we will see him physically go a lot lower. It's going to be very dark. It's a complete change of a character that I've built up over 15 years.

"In the past he was written for with great tenderness and fondness. That's gone and the public perception of him as a gentle and liberal character has gone too. I'm not sure if we'll ever get him back."

Perdita
23-05-2012, 11:27
Emmerdale's John Middleton has predicted that Ashley will give up on wife Laurel if she chooses to rekindle her affair with Marlon.

Disgraced vicar Ashley Thomas, who was recently shamed for hitting his elderly father Sandy, admitted that he has found the elderly abuse plot "uncomfortable" to film.

Middleton told Inside Soap: "This storyline has taken me on a very different journey as an actor, and variety is the spice of life.

"But I have found it uncomfortable - I don't like being horrible to people I like so much!"

The 58-year-old added: "If Laurel goes to Marlon, Ashley will be shattered. I don't think he'd even try to fight for her. This time, he'd have to accept it's over."

Ashley is further embarrassed next week when his burger van job is uncovered by Alex and Victoria.

Perdita
07-06-2012, 11:11
Emmerdale star John Middleton revealed a new look for his character Ashley Thomas during a live TV appearance on Daybreak today (June 7).

The actor appeared on the ITV1 breakfast show with a beard, confirming that he has changed his appearance to tie in with Ashley's ongoing struggles.

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/23/618x404/soaps_emmerdale_john_middleton_1.jpg
© Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Ashley is left homeless in the coming days as he cannot afford to keep staying at the B&B, while he knows that nobody in the village will want to give him a place to stay. His life has taken a dramatic turn for the worse since his abuse of his father Sandy was revealed, and things will deteriorate further for him in the coming weeks.

Middleton, reflecting on the story in his TV interview, commented: "This is a huge change. I've been playing this character for, off and on, 15 years now. So any change like this you embrace as an actor, but I did with some trepidation because I didn't know where it was going to go.

"It really is reinventing the character completely. And they've even reinvented the way the character looks, as you can see, because he's got a considerable downfall to go yet! At the same time, I was very excited. It's a huge story."

Discussing his new look, he continued: "It's great at the moment because I'm not being recognised! I'm blowing that now, aren't I?"

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/23/618x407/soaps_emmerdale_john_middleton_2.jpg
© Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Middleton added that while Ashley's treatment of Sandy was "completely unfair", he has heard from viewers who sympathise with the troubled ex-vicar.

He explained: "I've had quite a surprising amount of feedback from people who understand the pressure upon Ashley, and the pressure of looking after an elderly [person] who's very needy. Sandy isn't as needy as some - I have had people who've had to look after parents with Alzheimer's or things like that.

"The pressure on carers these days - who get very, very little support - is enormous. If there's one message I wanted to get out, it's before you get anywhere near the situation that Ashley finds himself in, where he became violently abusive and there's no excuse for that, you've got to talk to someone. There are agencies out there who are there to help."

Emmerdale airs weeknights on ITV1.

Perdita
13-06-2012, 12:26
Emmerdale's John Middleton has expressed his delight at producers for his recent storylines.

Middleton, who plays disgraced vicar Ashley Thomas, has been at the centre of an elder abuse plot with his dad Sandy.

The 58-year-old told the Daily Record: "There is nothing like change to completely reinvigorate a character, and this is major change.

"You can get to a stage in a show, particularly when you have been somewhere as long as I have, where they run out of ideas for the role you play within the village."

The Dales stalwart admitted that he feels like he has been "recast" with the radical change in fortunes for his alter ego.

Middleton added: "What they have done here is, in a way, destroyed the character to rebuild the character, and he will not have the role he has had in the village. That role has gone. It's almost like being recast.

"It's very encouraging they have invested so much in this character that they want to keep him, and the only way they can do that is to undergo this huge change. That's something I am very grateful for, and it is very exciting."

Ashley has also been fighting to save his marriage with Laurel, who has rekindled her affection for Woolpack chef Marlon Dingle after having an affair with him last year.

Perdita
06-07-2012, 15:36
Emmerdale star John Middleton has revealed that Ashley Thomas's current storyline has a long way to go.

Ashley has reached rock bottom in recent days, sleeping rough on the streets after being rejected by his family and most of the village.

The ex-vicar's downfall came when his abuse of his elderly father Sandy was revealed back in April.

Middleton, asked whether there is any happiness ahead for Ashley, told Soaplife: "It's a very long journey and although I've had hints as to where he'll end up, I don't know.

"But we're talking all the way to Christmas, with some new characters coming in, too."

In the meantime, Ashley finally gets a place to stay next week when his love rival Marlon offers him a room. However, he fails to realise that Marlon still has strong feelings for Laurel.

Middleton explained: "He doesn't suspect it because Marlon's taken him in. That would be a terrible thing for Marlon to do - provide a haven for Ashley while having an affair with his wife.

"As it happens, though, Marlon's talking about going to New Zealand, which would be a win-win situation for Ashley as Marlon would remove himself from the picture."

Emmerdale airs weeknights on ITV1.

Perdita
10-08-2012, 12:40
Emmerdale's John Middleton has said he has been left disillusioned by Ashley and Laurel's split.

Middleton admitted that he misses sharing scenes with Charlotte Bellamy, to whom he was married on-screen for seven years until their recent break-up.

"I'm a bit dismayed that they've split up Charlotte and I on-screen, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, and that's the nature of soaps," he is quoted by Female First as saying. "In the process of change, you get some great stories."

Laurel had an affair with Marlon last year but ultimately decided to stay with Ashley. However, her relationship with Marlon was reignited when it was discovered Ashley had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Remarkably, the disgraced vicar's first wife Bernice also left him for a chef who worked in the kitchen at The Woolpack.

Middleton commented jokingly on the situation: "It's a dismaying fact that both of Ashley's wives have done that. I think it says a lot about his cooking.

"He needs to get a bit more adventurous and stop grilling fish fingers - so some French cuisine man!"

Perdita
10-08-2012, 12:41
Emmerdale's John Middleton has said he has been left disillusioned by Ashley and Laurel's split.

Middleton admitted that he misses sharing scenes with Charlotte Bellamy, to whom he was married on-screen for seven years until their recent break-up.

"I'm a bit dismayed that they've split up Charlotte and I on-screen, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, and that's the nature of soaps," he is quoted by Female First as saying. "In the process of change, you get some great stories."

Laurel had an affair with Marlon last year but ultimately decided to stay with Ashley. However, her relationship with Marlon was reignited when it was discovered Ashley had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Remarkably, the disgraced vicar's first wife Bernice also left him for a chef who worked in the kitchen at The Woolpack.

Middleton commented jokingly on the situation: "It's a dismaying fact that both of Ashley's wives have done that. I think it says a lot about his cooking.

"He needs to get a bit more adventurous and stop grilling fish fingers - so some French cuisine man!"

tammyy2j
27-08-2012, 20:54

tammyy2j
27-08-2012, 20:54
Emmerdale star John Middleton thinks Ashley Thomas' devotion to his kids will save him from ending up on the streets again.

Vicar Ashley's life was turned upside down after he snapped while struggling with marriage troubles and caring for his elderly father and lost his temper with his dad. Ashamed by what he had done he fled his home and ended up on the streets. Now Ashley is about to learn that wife Lauren has rekindled her affair with his friend Marlon, just when he thought they had got through it.

But John told Inside Soap magazine: "He's sensible enough not to throw himself on the bonfire of homelessness.

"I think he'll contact vicar Jude, or social services - even if he doesn't know where he'll go now.

"Ashley's instincts are that if it wasn't for his children, he should just leave the village once and for all. It looks like little Gabby and Arthur are the only reasons for him to stay around."

However, John admits it will be hard for Ashley to accept that Marlon and Laurel are together.

He said: "This is beyond anything Ashley thought could happen. He's in his current situation partly because of Laurel's affair. But now he has to accept that things between him and Laurel are over for good."

Perdita
17-09-2012, 20:47
Emmerdale's John Middleton has requested that he keep his beard for character Ashley Thomas.

Middleton's disgraced alter ego grew the facial hair while homeless after being barred from his duties as a vicar.

Ashley, whose marriage to Laurel has broken down, was shunned from the village when it was revealed that he had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor revealed: "Everyone keeps saying, 'John, that really suits you!'

"For a while my wife said nothing, but I confronted her about it recently and she said, 'I've watched it grow, and I suppose it's grown on me as well'.

"It's been great for me, though. I begged the Emmerdale bosses to let me keep it, and so far they've said I can!"

Wish he would shave, don't like it at all

Perdita
17-09-2012, 20:47
Emmerdale's John Middleton has requested that he keep his beard for character Ashley Thomas.

Middleton's disgraced alter ego grew the facial hair while homeless after being barred from his duties as a vicar.

Ashley, whose marriage to Laurel has broken down, was shunned from the village when it was revealed that he had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor revealed: "Everyone keeps saying, 'John, that really suits you!'

"For a while my wife said nothing, but I confronted her about it recently and she said, 'I've watched it grow, and I suppose it's grown on me as well'.

"It's been great for me, though. I begged the Emmerdale bosses to let me keep it, and so far they've said I can!"

Wish he would shave, don't like it at all

alan45
26-02-2013, 00:29
Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas is in for a shock next week as he realises that his father Sandy is desperately unhappy.

Sandy (Freddie Jones) has recently been spending time at Seth's hide with teenager Sean Spencer, keen to have a place to call his own. However, when the hide burns down in an accident, Sandy is distraught as his current living arrangements are making him feel like a burden.

Sandy later tells Ashley and Laurel that he wants to move into a retirement home. When they can't talk him out of it, Ashley considers a desperate plan to bump him to the top of the housing list…

Here, John Middleton - who plays Ashley - chats about Sandy's unhappiness and his character's drastic attempts to make things right.

Is Ashley wishing that he could do more to care for Sandy?
"Of course! The main thing is that Ashley wishes his family was still together, because if that was the case, the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, that is not an option and Ashley knows that it can't be. Ashley also realises that it's largely his fault, so he feels appalling about it."

Does Ashley share his concerns with anybody?
"Yes, he shares his concerns with Laurel, and I think they do see eye-to-eye on this situation. They know that where Sandy is staying at the moment is not ideal.

"Ashley wishes he could do something about that and provide somewhere, but with his current employment prospects, that's never going to happen. As Sandy reminds him frequently, Ashley is on minimum wage as an unskilled labourer, so there's very little that Ashley can do."

How does Sandy react when Ashley wants him to see a doctor about his forgetfulness?
"Sandy is absolutely furious about that, and quite rightly so. The implication is that Sandy is becoming senile, which is not the case at all. But that's what Sandy suspects Ashley, Laurel and Marlon are thinking. He thinks they regard him as a burden, so he'd rather not be a burden and take himself off somewhere else."

Do you think Ashley and Laurel should handle Sandy with more sensitivity?
"Yes, I think they should. I think they're both burdened by their guilt, so they think things about Sandy which are maybe not appropriate."

Does Sandy suspect that Ashley and Laurel want him to go into care?
"Well, it becomes Sandy's idea that he should go into care. He'd rather be in professional care than voluntary care. He's aware that people view him as a burden and someone who has to be volunteered for, and he'd rather that wasn't the case."

How does Ashley feel when Sandy reveals that he's been using Seth's hide as a place to call his own?
"Ashley is initially amused, and when he finds out about the relationship that Sandy has with Sean, he's rather touched. Sandy is doing things with Sean that he would have done with Ashley when he was a boy. One does forget that Sandy has led a very active and adventurous life. He would have passed a lot of his life skills on to Ashley, like sailing and tying knots and things like that!

"Sandy has been out reminiscing around a fire in this cosy little hide with Sean, and Ashley would totally identify with that. It might be something that he's done with Sandy himself at some point."

Unfortunately, the hide burns down and Sandy is left feeling worse than ever. Does Ashley find it difficult when Sandy tells him how unhappy he's been?
"Yes, because even though you could argue that Ashley should already see this, he hasn't noticed because he has so many concerns of his own - particularly to do with Gabby, Arthur and Laurel. The thing we have to remember is that Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel. If Laurel wanted to take him back, he'd say yes straight away!

"So those concerns are taking over for Ashley, and he hasn't seen just how unhappy Sandy is. Ashley just thinks Sandy is happy making life difficult for everyone - he thinks that it's entertainment for Sandy! But actually, Sandy's behaviour is an expression of great unhappiness. Ashley is shocked when he properly understands that."

Does Ashley try to talk Sandy out of going into a retirement home?
"Yeah, both he and Laurel try to change his mind. Laurel reminds Sandy that he was in tears when he was previously contemplating going into a retirement home.

"It also reminds Ashley of a desperate time in his life, when he thought that the only way he could hold his marriage together was to get rid of Sandy and put him into a home. It reminds him that in many ways he was trying to dispose of his father, and that's an uncomfortable thing to be reminded of."

When they meet the social worker, does Ashley think Sandy will get accommodation?
"No, because Ashley has been a vicar and knows these situations intimately. He knows that there would be a points system. Because Sandy's in accommodation where he has his own room in a nice house with a nice family, the points would be few.

"Ashley also knows that the first person who'll see Sandy will be someone from social services. That person will have a file with the whole troubled family history in it. Ashley knows that's what's going to happen, and it's what must be confronted."

Laurel says that Ashley needs to take charge to help Sandy. What does she want him to do?
"I suppose what Laurel wants is to see evidence of how Ashley used to be. She's seen Ashley manage situations like this in the past, where old people in the community needed his help and he fought their corner with social services. Ashley knows the obstacle is the points system.

"However, the other thing that's going to be flagged up is the fact that Ashley attacked Sandy last year. Ashley realises that this could be the thing that would swing it in Sandy's favour.

"So Ashley starts to tell a story to social services that his animosity towards Sandy is building again. He hints that he has an uncontrollable side of his personality, which could flare up and result in him physically harming Sandy again. But in reality, this is a lie and there's absolutely no chance of that happening ever again."

Why does Ashley resort to such a desperate measure?
"Ashley has discovered how unhappy Sandy is, so what he desperately wants more than anything is to give him at least a modicum of happiness. This is the only way it's going to happen. He would do anything - he would sacrifice his own reputation to make that happen."

What will become of Sandy if Ashley's lies don't work?
"Well, that's a good question, as Ashley can't see any way out of this situation. None of the people involved have got the financial resources to find something privately for Sandy. If they can't do it via social services, Ashley doesn't think they have much chance.

"Ashley thinks the only way he can help is to call round and spend as much time with Sandy as often as he can. That's the only solution he can see at the moment. Ultimately, perhaps Ashley thinks that if he finds a job that he's properly qualified to do, he could earn some decent money, have a flat and invite Sandy to stay with him. But he doesn't see that happening anytime soon."

Would you like to see Ashley get a new love interest?
"Well, as John, I'd like to see it because it would be intriguing. It would give us a whole new chapter for Ashley. But for Ashley, I don't think he sees romance blossoming ever again! Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel, and that's it. If he can't have Laurel, he doesn't want anyone else. So who knows?"

Would you like to see Ashley get his family unit back together?
"Yes. That's obviously what Ashley wants, and there's a part of me that would like to see that as an actor, too. I love working with Charlotte Bellamy and I absolutely adore working with Freddie Jones. I also absolutely adore working with those two kids - they're great. They're lovely children and natural actors."

Have you heard from many viewers who've had trouble looking after their elderly parents?
"Yes - more than any other story, I've had people stop me in the street over this. As I've said before, there's a lot of people my age who are going through a similar thing with elderly parents. So many people have spoken to me and written to me about the stress of that kind of situation, particularly in the final stages of a parent's life. The stresses on carers in situations like that are huge.

"After doing the story, I hope there's a better understanding that there has to be respite for carers in that sort of situation. The pressures are awful and it's good just to have some time away from that pressure. There's very little support in society, both financial or otherwise for people who care."

alan45
26-02-2013, 00:29
Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas is in for a shock next week as he realises that his father Sandy is desperately unhappy.

Sandy (Freddie Jones) has recently been spending time at Seth's hide with teenager Sean Spencer, keen to have a place to call his own. However, when the hide burns down in an accident, Sandy is distraught as his current living arrangements are making him feel like a burden.

Sandy later tells Ashley and Laurel that he wants to move into a retirement home. When they can't talk him out of it, Ashley considers a desperate plan to bump him to the top of the housing list…

Here, John Middleton - who plays Ashley - chats about Sandy's unhappiness and his character's drastic attempts to make things right.

Is Ashley wishing that he could do more to care for Sandy?
"Of course! The main thing is that Ashley wishes his family was still together, because if that was the case, the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, that is not an option and Ashley knows that it can't be. Ashley also realises that it's largely his fault, so he feels appalling about it."

Does Ashley share his concerns with anybody?
"Yes, he shares his concerns with Laurel, and I think they do see eye-to-eye on this situation. They know that where Sandy is staying at the moment is not ideal.

"Ashley wishes he could do something about that and provide somewhere, but with his current employment prospects, that's never going to happen. As Sandy reminds him frequently, Ashley is on minimum wage as an unskilled labourer, so there's very little that Ashley can do."

How does Sandy react when Ashley wants him to see a doctor about his forgetfulness?
"Sandy is absolutely furious about that, and quite rightly so. The implication is that Sandy is becoming senile, which is not the case at all. But that's what Sandy suspects Ashley, Laurel and Marlon are thinking. He thinks they regard him as a burden, so he'd rather not be a burden and take himself off somewhere else."

Do you think Ashley and Laurel should handle Sandy with more sensitivity?
"Yes, I think they should. I think they're both burdened by their guilt, so they think things about Sandy which are maybe not appropriate."

Does Sandy suspect that Ashley and Laurel want him to go into care?
"Well, it becomes Sandy's idea that he should go into care. He'd rather be in professional care than voluntary care. He's aware that people view him as a burden and someone who has to be volunteered for, and he'd rather that wasn't the case."

How does Ashley feel when Sandy reveals that he's been using Seth's hide as a place to call his own?
"Ashley is initially amused, and when he finds out about the relationship that Sandy has with Sean, he's rather touched. Sandy is doing things with Sean that he would have done with Ashley when he was a boy. One does forget that Sandy has led a very active and adventurous life. He would have passed a lot of his life skills on to Ashley, like sailing and tying knots and things like that!

"Sandy has been out reminiscing around a fire in this cosy little hide with Sean, and Ashley would totally identify with that. It might be something that he's done with Sandy himself at some point."

Unfortunately, the hide burns down and Sandy is left feeling worse than ever. Does Ashley find it difficult when Sandy tells him how unhappy he's been?
"Yes, because even though you could argue that Ashley should already see this, he hasn't noticed because he has so many concerns of his own - particularly to do with Gabby, Arthur and Laurel. The thing we have to remember is that Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel. If Laurel wanted to take him back, he'd say yes straight away!

"So those concerns are taking over for Ashley, and he hasn't seen just how unhappy Sandy is. Ashley just thinks Sandy is happy making life difficult for everyone - he thinks that it's entertainment for Sandy! But actually, Sandy's behaviour is an expression of great unhappiness. Ashley is shocked when he properly understands that."

Does Ashley try to talk Sandy out of going into a retirement home?
"Yeah, both he and Laurel try to change his mind. Laurel reminds Sandy that he was in tears when he was previously contemplating going into a retirement home.

"It also reminds Ashley of a desperate time in his life, when he thought that the only way he could hold his marriage together was to get rid of Sandy and put him into a home. It reminds him that in many ways he was trying to dispose of his father, and that's an uncomfortable thing to be reminded of."

When they meet the social worker, does Ashley think Sandy will get accommodation?
"No, because Ashley has been a vicar and knows these situations intimately. He knows that there would be a points system. Because Sandy's in accommodation where he has his own room in a nice house with a nice family, the points would be few.

"Ashley also knows that the first person who'll see Sandy will be someone from social services. That person will have a file with the whole troubled family history in it. Ashley knows that's what's going to happen, and it's what must be confronted."

Laurel says that Ashley needs to take charge to help Sandy. What does she want him to do?
"I suppose what Laurel wants is to see evidence of how Ashley used to be. She's seen Ashley manage situations like this in the past, where old people in the community needed his help and he fought their corner with social services. Ashley knows the obstacle is the points system.

"However, the other thing that's going to be flagged up is the fact that Ashley attacked Sandy last year. Ashley realises that this could be the thing that would swing it in Sandy's favour.

"So Ashley starts to tell a story to social services that his animosity towards Sandy is building again. He hints that he has an uncontrollable side of his personality, which could flare up and result in him physically harming Sandy again. But in reality, this is a lie and there's absolutely no chance of that happening ever again."

Why does Ashley resort to such a desperate measure?
"Ashley has discovered how unhappy Sandy is, so what he desperately wants more than anything is to give him at least a modicum of happiness. This is the only way it's going to happen. He would do anything - he would sacrifice his own reputation to make that happen."

What will become of Sandy if Ashley's lies don't work?
"Well, that's a good question, as Ashley can't see any way out of this situation. None of the people involved have got the financial resources to find something privately for Sandy. If they can't do it via social services, Ashley doesn't think they have much chance.

"Ashley thinks the only way he can help is to call round and spend as much time with Sandy as often as he can. That's the only solution he can see at the moment. Ultimately, perhaps Ashley thinks that if he finds a job that he's properly qualified to do, he could earn some decent money, have a flat and invite Sandy to stay with him. But he doesn't see that happening anytime soon."

Would you like to see Ashley get a new love interest?
"Well, as John, I'd like to see it because it would be intriguing. It would give us a whole new chapter for Ashley. But for Ashley, I don't think he sees romance blossoming ever again! Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel, and that's it. If he can't have Laurel, he doesn't want anyone else. So who knows?"

Would you like to see Ashley get his family unit back together?
"Yes. That's obviously what Ashley wants, and there's a part of me that would like to see that as an actor, too. I love working with Charlotte Bellamy and I absolutely adore working with Freddie Jones. I also absolutely adore working with those two kids - they're great. They're lovely children and natural actors."

Have you heard from many viewers who've had trouble looking after their elderly parents?
"Yes - more than any other story, I've had people stop me in the street over this. As I've said before, there's a lot of people my age who are going through a similar thing with elderly parents. So many people have spoken to me and written to me about the stress of that kind of situation, particularly in the final stages of a parent's life. The stresses on carers in situations like that are huge.

"After doing the story, I hope there's a better understanding that there has to be respite for carers in that sort of situation. The pressures are awful and it's good just to have some time away from that pressure. There's very little support in society, both financial or otherwise for people who care."

tammyy2j
26-02-2013, 15:54
He should try and find a house for himself and Sandy and Gaby if he can afford it

Perdita
05-10-2013, 14:17
Emmerdale's John Middleton has hinted that his character may have a new love interest in the ITV soap.

Viewers recently saw Ashley Thomas realise that he has no chance of reuniting with ex-wife Laurel after she accepted a marriage proposal from Marlon.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/38/618x420/soaps-emmerdale-6676-2.jpg
Ashley is not happy with Laurel after Gabby says she knows about the engagement from facebook
© ITV
John Middleton as Ashley with Laurel

Middleton said: "The sad thing from Ashley's point of view is that he still retains the same feelings for Laurel that he always has had. He's never fallen out of love with her."

The actor added that Ashley will eventually be able to move on.

He said: "I think the good thing from Ashley's point of view is that he is capable of picking himself up and thinking, 'Right, I've really got to try to get my life again'."

Talking about Ashley's temper after he takes his rage out on Edna, Middleton said: "We see the dark side of Ashley.

"Ashley has this dreadful temper which he's not very much in control of. He's bitterly regretful and sees that Edna is very concerned about this and indeed frightened. This devastates Ashley."

He also suggested that his character could be heading for a change in fortunes.

"Let's say there might be a significant other person coming in to Ashley's life, but I can't say much more than that," he said.

britgirl
05-10-2013, 18:12
Someone new?

LizzyBizzy
05-10-2013, 20:45
I really hope Ashley finds happiness, which seems unlikely to happen as soaps thrive on conflict. I can't do justice it how much I dislike Laurel and Marlon. I tend to mentally switch off from any of their scenes.

lizann
06-10-2013, 18:27
Someone new?

megan or back to bernice again

lizann
06-10-2013, 18:27
Someone new?

megan or back to bernice again

Perdita
02-12-2014, 05:29
Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas will become the village vicar again next week but it could cost him his new relationship with Harriet Finch

After officially becoming a couple, Ashley and Harriet face a difficult situation when Harriet is charged with burglary and is later informed that she has lost her job as vicar.

As the news about Harriet's misfortune spreads around the village, Brenda wants to start a petition to help her.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/48/618x439/soaps-emmerdale-7047-3.jpg
Ashley receives a call from Harriet and later confesses his hopes to Bernice
© ITV
Ashley receives a call from Harriet

However, Ashley is dealt a difficult dilemma when he is offered the position as vicar once again but struggles to tell Harriet the truth.

Having picked the wrong time to come clean with her, Harriet is left upset, but when she overhears how much it means to him, they reach an agreement.

As Ashley embarks on his first day back as vicar, Sandy and Edna mark the occasion by delivering him presents.

However, it is clear Harriet isn't coping with the situation very well and she is plagued with worries about her future career. Could this affect their new relationship?
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/48/618x456/soaps-emmerdale-7047-1.jpg
Ashley visits a distressed Harriet
© ITV
Ashley visits a distressed Harriet

http://i1.cdnds.net/14/48/618x462/soaps-emmerdale-7047-2.jpg
Ashley comforts Harriet
© ITV
Ashley comforts Harriet

Emmerdale airs these scenes next week on ITV.

maidmarian
02-12-2014, 07:34
so burglary worse than bashing your father!
says the Bishop.?

maidmarian
02-12-2014, 07:34
so burglary worse than bashing your father!
says the Bishop.?

Telly Watcher
06-09-2015, 15:26
Emmerdale’s character develops epilepsy

9 June 2015

It follows vicar, Ashley Thomas’ involvement in a car accident.

Actor John Middleton who plays Ashley said it was a great opportunity to raise awareness of the condition. Epilepsy Action has supported the show’s depiction of epilepsy and was involved in writing the storyline. “I didn’t know that much about [epilepsy] until I did the research into it,” said John. “ I began to I realise there are many sorts of seizure, about 40 different sorts. As I read the script, I realised that what the people who’d written this had in mind was a tonic-clonic seizure – and it was carefully researched. ‘Now that,’ I thought, ‘is challenging… I’ve got to try and get this right.’” Click here to find out more about epilepsy following a brain injury. Epilepsy Action’s advice and information team had assisted Emmerdale’s writers in making sure the scenes were medically accurate. Meanwhile – with extensive online research, including Epilepsy Action’s website – John became much more confident about portraying Ashley’s condition. He continues: “The more I found out, the more I realised that epilepsy is different for each person. Nevertheless, as an actor it’s one of those things that you‘ve just got to go for – you can’t do this by half measures. I hope I’ve got it right! I did have medical advice on the days that we shot this – they seemed to think it was accurate.”

http://www.braininjuryhub.co.uk/news/emmerdales-character-develops-epilepsy

Read more at:
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/news/emmerdale-s-vicar-ashley-thomas-develops-epilepsy-64797

Telly Watcher
06-09-2015, 15:26
Epilepsy storyline continues on Emmerdale

20-08-15

Did you catch tonight's episode of Emmerdale on ITV, featuring the continuing storyline of vicar Ashley Thomas who has epilepsy? Ashley is played by actor John Middleton and Epilepsy Society spent on time on set with John and the cast of Emmerdale during filming to make sure that the popular soap was giving an accurate representation of epilepsy.

Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas and Harriet Finch.Now John is keen to share his increasing knowledge of epilepsy and most importantly to make sure everyone knows what to do if someone has a tonic clonic seizure.

Ashley's epilepsy was diagnosed after a car crash in June and John admits he could not have foreseen how exhausting it would be to play the role of someone who is experiencing tonic clonic seizures. He told us rehearsing tonic clonic seizures before filming on set was exhausting but gave him an incredible insight into what it can be like to live with seizures.

>
First aid for seizures

John told Epilepsy Society: 'There are around 40 different types of seizures, not just the tonic clonic sort that I'm attempting to portray in Emmerdale.

'Playing the role of Ashley has made me realise how important it is to know what to do if someone has a tonic clonic seizure.

'First of all it is vital to make sure they can't hurt themselves, so clear the area around them.

'Do not put anything in their mouth. Time the seizure - if it lasts no longer than five minutes and is not followed by subsequent seizures there is no need to call an ambulance.

'As the seizure subsides, put the person in the recovery position and reassure them. They are likely to have no memory of the seizure and could take a good while to recover. They may well be exhausted.'
>

Source:
http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/Epilepsy-storyline-continues-Emmerdale-20-08-2015

Telly Watcher
06-09-2015, 15:28
Epilepsy wrist watch
>
During tonight's episode, Ashley was given a wrist-worn epilepsy sensor, a device which sends a message to a friend, relative or carer if the person has had a seizure. This will help the vicar to continue to lead an independent life and return safely to work.

Liam Johnson, researcher at Emmerdale commented: 'Epilepsy Society was invaluable throughout the storyline, scripting, and filming of tonight's storyline. They were hugely informative and helpful.

'I know in particular the epilepsy wrist sensor struck a chord with our viewers who did not know about such devices. I look forward to continuing our relationship with the Society.'

Source:
http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/Epilepsy-storyline-continues-Emmerdale-20-08-2015

Ashley received a wrist epilepsy monitor from epilsepsyalarms.co.uk:

Emmerdale, which attracts a regular audience of around 5 million viewers will be a fantastic opportunity to help raise awareness of a condition that affects over 600,000 people. What’s interesting about this story line is that fact that Ashley was given a wrist worn epilepsy sensor this week that will raise an alert if he has another seizure. Ashley Thomas has actually been given an EpiCare Epilepsy sensor, which he can wear as he goes about his day to day business.

The EpiCare has been a revelation for many clients with epilepsy in the UK. The Danish Care product is retailed by Epilepsy Alarms to customers across the UK. We have highlighted the main points of the three versions below:

EpiCare Mobile
EpiCare BraceletThe sensor connects to the user’s Android mobile via Bluetooth. The EpiCare App on the phone activates within 7-10 seconds of a seizure occurring and alerts carers by Phone and SMS. The text message contains the GPS location of the user at the time of the seizure. You can also link the EpiCare App to a 24/7 control centre such as TeleCare24, where the care team will follow a pre agreed set of procedures if a seizure is detected. This is ideal for people with a relatively high level of independence.
>

Other types of Epilepsyalarms are available.

Source:
http://www.epilepsyalarms.co.uk/blog/emmerdale-runs-ashley-thomas-epilepsy-storyline/

Telly Watcher
06-09-2015, 15:29
Ashley Thomas has a seizure in Emmerdale!
4:54pm, Wednesday, 12 August 2015

http://assets.whatsontv.co.uk/whatsontv/live/styles/large/s3/images/2015/07/wk34-Emmer-Ashley-Dan-Debbie01.JPG

Ashley Thomas is not happy when hears another minister is conducting the memorial service for the victims of the recent Emmerdale disaster so he decides to return to his post as the village vicar. But as he's still recovering from being run over a few months back... Is he ready for the pressure?

As Pete, Debbie and Chas make their way to the church for the service, they bump into David who lost his stepmum, Val, in the recent disaster.

The villagers gather to pay their respects, but some locals are still missing. Emma, for one, is desperate to know where her son Ross is…

It soon becomes clear that Ashley isn't coping. At the service, he struggle to hold it together when he gets names mixed up. And later, Sandy finds himself in a bit of a fix because his son has forgetten to order a cab to collect him from a hospital appointment.

A few days later, Ashley pays a visit to Dan, who's working at the garage.

Dan's family was hit hard by tragedy in the disaster, losing Ruby…

http://assets.whatsontv.co.uk/whatsontv/live/wk34-Emmer-Ashley-Dan-Debbie06.JPG

But as Ashley talks to Dan, he suddenly has a seizure…

As Ashley collapses to the floor, a helpless Dan has no idea what to do. Will Ashley survive? Watch the drama unfold on Emmerdale from Monday, August 17.

Read more at http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/emmerdale/news/ashley-thomas-has-a-seizure-in-emmerdale

Perdita
06-09-2015, 15:47
This happened in August .. is September now .. We know that Ashley survived ...

Siobhan
06-09-2015, 16:12

Hi Telly Watcher

Thank you for the information provided. However, for future reference, this storyline happened a month ago so please post in the General section and not spoilers.
For an easier read, keep your links together and as they all tell the same story, only post one and refer to the other links. This helps keep the boards tidy and the information you provide easier for someone to find should they need this.

Siobhan
06-09-2015, 16:12

Hi Telly Watcher

Thank you for the information provided. However, for future reference, this storyline happened a month ago so please post in the General section and not spoilers.
For an easier read, keep your links together and as they all tell the same story, only post one and refer to the other links. This helps keep the boards tidy and the information you provide easier for someone to find should they need this.

Telly Watcher
06-09-2015, 16:19
This happened in August .. is September now .. We know that Ashley survived ...

The Ashley storyline is building up again from this coming week (from Wednesday September 9th onwards). Ashley has been missed out on this forum since December 2014 and the whole epilepsy storyline during 2015 hasn't been covered at all until today.

Perdita
06-09-2015, 17:00
The Ashley storyline is building up again from this coming week (from Wednesday September 9th onwards). Ashley has been missed out on this forum since December 2014 and the whole epilepsy storyline during 2015 hasn't been covered at all until today.

Yes it has been covered, under the weekly threads :)

maidmarian
06-09-2015, 17:15
Yes it has been covered, under the weekly threads :)

yes I was just going to post that
If you put epilepsy into search -
its mentioned in Spoilers w/c 08/06 & 15/06
as Ashley having seizure/anr seizure - may
be others.
The info about technology available to
help those affected will be useful to
them- if not aware.
But it is general as has been said-not a spoiler
of future actions.

maidmarian
06-09-2015, 17:15
dupl

Telly Watcher
07-09-2015, 17:16
Sorry, but mentioning Ashley in weekly posted spoilers during 2015 as something like "Ashley has a seizure" does not, in any way, count for much as any kind of detailed inclusion for discussion on the soapboards forum for Emmerdale. I meant what I wrote and inferred earlier, in that there has been no (detailed) posts about Ashley since December 2014. I have noted the reaction to my well-meant 'catch-up' posts from 3 of the most regular members of this forum.

I wanted to bring the forum up-to-date with missed news about epilepsy. I only started posting as a regular poster during August 2015 when the Ross/helicopter crash storylines started off. If I had been a regular forum poster during June 2015 when this Ashley issue started off then I certainly would have posted this stuff in the Spoilers Ashley Thomas folder sub-forum.

maidmarian
07-09-2015, 20:04
dupl

maidmarian
07-09-2015, 20:04
dupl

kiwigirl
10-09-2015, 08:36
Sorry, but mentioning Ashley in weekly posted spoilers during 2015 as something like "Ashley has a seizure" does not, in any way, count for much as any kind of detailed inclusion for discussion on the soapboards forum for Emmerdale. I meant what I wrote and inferred earlier, in that there has been no (detailed) posts about Ashley since December 2014. I have noted the reaction to my well-meant 'catch-up' posts from 3 of the most regular members of this forum.

I wanted to bring the forum up-to-date with missed news about epilepsy. I only started posting as a regular poster during August 2015 when the Ross/helicopter crash storylines started off. If I had been a regular forum poster during June 2015 when this Ashley issue started off then I certainly would have posted this stuff in the Spoilers Ashley Thomas folder sub-forum.

Hi Telly Watcher, I have read almost all of your posts and I don’t mind if you’re the first or the last to post information you feel is relevant to the Emmerdale Forum. This is a forum for information on a soap that we all enjoy to watch and share our views on certain topics we feel that everyone may have an opinion they too would like to share. I notice that you had edited your post, glad to see that you’ve changed your mind and decided to stay and I hope to see more posts from you in future. :)

Telly Watcher
10-09-2015, 14:39
Hi Telly Watcher, I have read almost all of your posts and I don’t mind if you’re the first or the last to post information you feel is relevant to the Emmerdale Forum. This is a forum for information on a soap that we all enjoy to watch and share our views on certain topics we feel that everyone may have an opinion they too would like to share. I notice that you had edited your post, glad to see that you’ve changed your mind and decided to stay and I hope to see more posts from you in future. :)

kiwigirl, does this mean I have to show up on this forum again like resurrected bad boy Ross? Haha! You are so sweet! My thanks to deeCee too.

I agree with you. We all post here on a voluntary basis and if posting isn't fun then it isn't going to happen. I have never moaned or criticised anyone here for posting on this forum, there are so few posters compared to viewers that every post is welcome. I really wish someone else had posted the Ashley epilepsy stuff earlier from June 2015, as I would have been very happy that someone had taken the time and had the interest to do this.

I see most Emmerdale news and spoilers before they appear on this forum. I can spend an extra 5 minutes or so sharing these on this forum and I will but only if it's fun to do so. I think I reached my peak posting rate on Sunday September 6th when I made 17 posts, quite a number of which were long and detailed.

I really have been a regular poster here since only August 2015 so I really am a newbie. I've watched the show before this for quite a while, however.

I don't know yet what's wrong with Ashley. Maybe he has bleeding on the brain or some sort of ageing illness leading to memory loss, possibly the start of senile dementia/Altzheimer's-type of illness. Time will tell.

sarah c
10-09-2015, 15:07
I dont think its a bleed, unless a small slow one, because he did have various scans at the time of the accident?

so I think it is epilepsy maybe with petit mal so little black outs he doesnt even realise he has had?

Perdita
10-09-2015, 15:15
I dont think its a bleed, unless a small slow one, because he did have various scans at the time of the accident?

so I think it is epilepsy maybe with petit mal so little black outs he doesnt even realise he has had?

Good to see he wants to get more tests done, so hopefully we will find out soon what is wrong

sarah c
10-09-2015, 15:17
Good to see he wants to get more tests done, so hopefully we will find out soon what is wrong

as long as he remembers to turn up for the appointment ;-)

Telly Watcher
11-09-2015, 10:04

Last night's script said it could be due to a medication side-effect, although I imagine that this was suggested during a short GP appointment in a busy surgery. As I can't think of any big storyline possibility for Ashley other than this issue, I suspect that his memory problems could be the start of something bigger (in the same way that Pete's anti-depressant prescription last night will lead to big things by Tuesday 15th).

These memory and brain issues are really odd things. I knew a 20yo girl who seemed completely normal during the daytime when I first met her, but when she was standing close by sometimes, I'd be talking to her, maybe look away for 5 seconds during the conversation and then look back, and she'd be staring into space and in another world, completely oblivious to anything around her. The first time I saw this happen I knew she had epilepsy, although she hadn't mentioned it. After about 10 seconds, she'd then flip back into the real world, I'd say she'd been staring into space and she'd matter-of-factly say "Sorry about that", and carry on talking and acting as normal. She later admitted that other people often told her she'd had these fugue states but she didn't always notice them herself until she was told about them. She also admitted that she had a full-blown fit most evenings when she was at home and would collapse shaking on the floor.

I hope Ashley's problems, whatever they are, aren't serious or long-term, although Emmerdale can go to dramatic extremes on some issues to make a point and increase viewer ratings.

sarah c
11-09-2015, 11:28
I thought Harriet said it was medication-based to not worry people into thinking it was something more?

just the impression I got

tammyy2j
22-10-2015, 22:11
Kate Oates has said that there is a long journey ahead for Ashley Thomas following the revelation that he may have dementia.

Ashley (John Middleton) was seen receiving the devastating news in the ITV soap's special 'rewind' episode, which took viewers back to the night of Robert Sugden's shooting four weeks ago.

When that fateful evening was first shown to viewers last month, Ashley was seen arriving late to his own birthday party.

Brand new scenes in the flashback explained this late appearance, as Ashley had been busy seeing a doctor who broke the news that he may have early onset dementia and referred him to a specialist.

Speaking about the emotional storyline for the first time, Oates commented: "I think this is going to be a really challenging story for us to tell. John and I have been talking about it for many, many months.

"Ashley has been suffering from epilepsy since his recent accident, as we wanted a bit of a red herring for the audience over what was causing his problems. The trouble with stories like this is that you can often see them coming. We wanted that not to be the case here, so this should hopefully be a really big surprise."

She added: "We have heaped more agony on Ashley, but it's because John is an awesome actor and will do the storyline amazing justice.

"We intend to give this storyline time to breathe. There'll be lots of twists and turns in it and lots of emotion. It should be a fantastic story and I'm very excited by it."

maidmarian
22-10-2015, 23:19
:clap:
Kate Oates has said that there is a long journey ahead for Ashley Thomas following the revelation that he may have dementia.

Ashley (John Middleton) was seen receiving the devastating news in the ITV soap's special 'rewind' episode, which took viewers back to the night of Robert Sugden's shooting four weeks ago.

When that fateful evening was first shown to viewers last month, Ashley was seen arriving late to his own birthday party.

Brand new scenes in the flashback explained this late appearance, as Ashley had been busy seeing a doctor who broke the news that he may have early onset dementia and referred him to a specialist.

Speaking about the emotional storyline for the first time, Oates commented: "I think this is going to be a really challenging story for us to tell. John and I have been talking about it for many, many months.

"Ashley has been suffering from epilepsy since his recent accident, as we wanted a bit of a red herring for the audience over what was causing his problems. The trouble with stories like this is that you can often see them coming. We wanted that not to be the case here, so this should hopefully be a really big surprise."

She added: "We have heaped more agony on Ashley, but it's because John is an awesome actor and will do the storyline amazing justice.

"We intend to give this storyline time to breathe. There'll be lots of twists and turns in it and lots of emotion. It should be a fantastic story and I'm very excited by it."

Reply -

quote from.the producer "trouble with problems
like this -you often see them coming!"

hint " in that case dont pick a character who
seems/acts a couple of decades older than
his actual age"

A story about Early Dementia is a good one
and the condition needs more awareness.
No doubt Ashleys fans will be sympathetic -
but there must surely have been better
candidates ( acting ability / age etc):(

Telly Watcher
23-10-2015, 01:19
Emmerdale star John Middleton: 'Dementia story will take Ashley out of the show'

By Daniel Kilkelly
Thursday, Oct 22 2015, 21:58 BS

Long-serving Emmerdale star John Middleton has confirmed that he'll be leaving the show at the end of his emotional new storyline.

The actor's character Ashley Thomas received devastating news in Thursday night's special 'rewind' episode as a doctor told him that he may have early onset dementia.

Ashley was referred to a specialist and his diagnosis won't be confirmed officially until next month, when the village vicar has to face up to the reality that there is sadly no cure for his condition.

Speaking about the storyline for the first time, Middleton commented: "I've known about it for a year - since last October. I had a meeting with [producer] Kate [Oates] and she pitched the idea to me. She asked me if I was happy to do the storyline and suggested I might like time to think about it, but I recognised it as the best story I've been given in my life and fully embraced it.

"Inevitably it will take me out of the show. Every year I think, 'Should I go?' It's a bit like a footballer - you should only leave the team when you've had a good season. This, if I'm up to it, will provide me with the best season I've had in my life."

He continued: "In the episode where Ashley is diagnosed, one of his lines is, 'Last time I checked there is no cure' - but it's a very long arc. Time-wise, as far as I know, I'm contracted to the end of next year. Beyond that I don't know.

"I'm finding the prospect of leaving actually very exciting. It's another roll of the dice. I'm very, very excited about that and I couldn't ask for a better storyline to leave the show on, I really couldn't."

Middleton has played the role of Ashley since 1996.

Source:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a675099/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-dementia-story-will-take-ashley-out-of-the-show.html

uberfan
25-10-2015, 14:57
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a675099/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-dementia-story-will-take-ashley-out-of-the-show.html#~ps8RfumqRsxaqw

Emmerdale star John Middleton: 'Dementia story will take Ashley out of the show'
By Daniel Kilkelly
Thursday, Oct 22 2015, 21:58 BST
83Shares
Long-serving Emmerdale star John Middleton has confirmed that he'll be leaving the show at the end of his emotional new storyline.

The actor's character Ashley Thomas received devastating news in Thursday night's special 'rewind' episode as a doctor told him that he may have early onset dementia.

John Middleton as Ashley Thomas in Emmerdale

© ITV

John Middleton as Ashley Thomas

Ashley was referred to a specialist and his diagnosis won't be confirmed officially until next month, when the village vicar has to face up to the reality that there is sadly no cure for his condition.

Speaking about the storyline for the first time, Middleton commented: "I've known about it for a year - since last October. I had a meeting with [producer] Kate [Oates] and she pitched the idea to me. She asked me if I was happy to do the storyline and suggested I might like time to think about it, but I recognised it as the best story I've been given in my life and fully embraced it.

"Inevitably it will take me out of the show. Every year I think, 'Should I go?' It's a bit like a footballer - you should only leave the team when you've had a good season. This, if I'm up to it, will provide me with the best season I've had in my life."

Harriet tells Ashley she must keep quiet about Ged for Brenda's safety

© ITV

Ashley with on-screen partner Harriet

He continued: "In the episode where Ashley is diagnosed, one of his lines is, 'Last time I checked there is no cure' - but it's a very long arc. Time-wise, as far as I know, I'm contracted to the end of next year. Beyond that I don't know.

"I'm finding the prospect of leaving actually very exciting. It's another roll of the dice. I'm very, very excited about that and I couldn't ask for a better storyline to leave the show on, I really couldn't."

Read more Emmerdale spoilers and news

Digital Spy Soap Scoop video - hit play below for gossip on EastEnders' Halloween special, Nikhil's Emmerdale return, the Nightingale family's arrival in Hollyoaks and a new romance story for Mary in Coronation Street.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a675099/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-dementia-story-will-take-ashley-out-of-the-show.html#ixzz3pal1xP7y
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

uberfan
25-10-2015, 14:57
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a675099/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-dementia-story-will-take-ashley-out-of-the-show.html#~ps8RfumqRsxaqw

By Daniel Kilkelly
Thursday, Oct 22 2015, 21:58 BST
83Shares

John Middleton as Ashley Thomas in Emmerdale

© ITV

John Middleton as Ashley Thomas

Harriet tells Ashley she must keep quiet about Ged for Brenda's safety

© ITV

Ashley with on-screen partner Harriet

Read more Emmerdale spoilers and news

Digital Spy Soap Scoop video - hit play below for gossip on EastEnders' Halloween special, Nikhil's Emmerdale return, the Nightingale family's arrival in Hollyoaks and a new romance story for Mary in Coronation Street.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a675099/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-dementia-story-will-take-ashley-out-of-the-show.html#ixzz3pal1xP7y
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Perdita
25-10-2015, 15:03
uberfan, this was already posted right above your post :)

lizann
27-10-2015, 01:27
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/emmerdales-ashley-thomas-actor-john-6691516

a death like mike baldwin

maidmarian
27-10-2015, 01:40
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/emmerdales-ashley-thomas-actor-john-6691516

a death like mike baldwin

If I remember correctly -that was another
soap rush job!!
I know they cant play out illnesses in."real
time" -viewers would get bored??
But it does underplay/undervalue what
patients family &carers undergo!!

maidmarian
27-10-2015, 01:40
dupl

Perdita
27-10-2015, 04:29
I wonder if Ashley will ask Sandy to assist him with suicide now .....:hmm:

Telly Watcher
27-10-2015, 06:36
Yes, I suppose Ashley and Sandy could end up having a joint suicide pact by early 2017.

>
Ashley Michael Thomas is a fictional character from the British soap opera Emmerdale, played by John Middleton. He made his first screen appearance during the episode broadcast on 5 December 1996. It was announced on 22 October 2015, following the in-episode revelation that Ashley was suffering from early signs of dementia, that Middleton would be leaving Emmerdale. His contract ends at the end of 2016, meaning his exit scenes would air in early 2017.
>
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Thomas

Telly Watcher
09-11-2015, 21:05
Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas opens up about heartbreaking scenes as his character is killed off

19:30, 9 Nov 2015
Updated 19:38, 9 Nov 2015
By Vikki White

Emmerdale fans hoped things were looking up for vicar Ashley Thomas after he survived being run over.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTZgQnGWcAAtqDZ.jpg
© ITV

But he has been acting out of character for months – and the plotline will lead to the much loved character being killed off.

This week viewers will watch him begin to crumble when the notebook he has been relying on to conceal his memory loss disappears.

John Middleton, who has played the vicar for almost 20 years, says the scenes when Ashley succumbs to dementia will be some of the toughest in his long stint on the ITV soap.

“Ashley knows that something is desperately wrong and he’s terrified,” says John, 62.

“He’s been using a notebook and is getting increasingly dependent on it for everyday things. When he loses it he’s devastated because it’s his lifeline.”

In a heart-wrenching episode, Ashley will confide in his friend Bob Page, played by Tony Audenshaw, that he suspects he has the incurable condition.

A doctor will confirm the vicar’s worst fears – and he doesn’t take the news well.

“Ashley gets the diagnosis and feels like his life is over,” says John.

“He knows it will depend on how quickly the disease progresses and feels it is desperately unfair. It will shatter him.”

In John’s first full interview since the dementia storyline became public knowledge, he said researching the condition, which included working with an Alzheimer’s disease charity and speaking to the wife of a dementia sufferer, was harrowing.

“I was intimidated when I was first told about the storyline,” says John.

“And there was a certain side of me that was a little sad, because I knew there was only one outcome of this.

“Doing the research, there comes a certain point of the day where I just have to stop, because it gets too much.

“But at the same time I recognise this as an incredibly good story.

"We have no cure for dementia at the moment and it’s so prevalent because we are living for longer.”

As he contemplates the end of an era, John says he’ll look back fondly on his time in the soap – especially because of his fans.

Even those who seem convinced he’s a real vicar.

“I’ve had some bizarre fanmail,” he says, laughing.

“I get confessionals and people expect me to have solutions to their problems. I’m quite frank with them and say I’m not a vicar.

"I even got a letter from ‘God’. I didn’t reply because the one thing we know about God is that he’s omniscient so he’d know what I was thinking.”

For a vicar, Ashley has had a fair amount of scandal in his life. He married Bernice but she had an affair and ditched him.

He then got hitched to Laurel, played by Charlotte Bellamy, but she left him for Marlon Dingle.

Ashley went downhill fast, attacking his dad, losing his job and becoming homeless.

He bounced back and found comfort in the arms of Harriet Finch, played by Katherine Dow Blyton.

Ashley’s love life has been a rollercoaster but, in contrast, John has been married to Christine for 36 years.

“We met through friends in Newcastle when I first started acting,” he says. “It was love at first sight.”

He adds: “She is amused by the fact a lot of people think I’m like Ashley, because she knows the real me and I am very different.

"I’m glad I don’t live in Emmerdale – the most combustible village in North Yorkshire – and that I’m not Ashley.”

Christine has been understanding about the fame that comes with his soap role, including his fan club, the Ashley Appreciation Society, which cheers him on at his charity cricket matches near his hometown of Whitley Bay, in Tyne and Wear.

“My wife accepts that Emmerdale is a bizarre part of my life,” adds John, who has two sons – George, 26, and Jack, 34 – with Christine.

“My boys might have found it harder, particularly at school. Having a dad on the telly is an odd one.

“But the worst mistake you can make is assuming people know you.

“I was in the pub in Whitley Bay and got up to go to the bar and a chap said ‘oh, I know you’. I said ‘yes, yes’ and he said ‘no, you’re in my computer class’.”

From the sound of things, John’s wife keeps his feet firmly on the ground.

“When I was run over in the soap recently I had a stunt double who had just stood in for Ralph Fiennes in James Bond,” he says.

“He was a really nice chap and I felt distinguished to have him as my stunt double.

"I’m a huge fan of James Bond and I told my wife when I got home. But she was totally unimpressed.”

And while Ashley has done well to survive so long in the deadly village of Emmerdale, it has also led to perilous moments.

“Zoe Tate was going bonkers for some reason and set the church alight,” he recalls.

“I dived forward when the explosion happened, on to the crash mat and it was all fine.

“Two nights later I woke up on the floor next to the bed, with my wife going ‘what are you doing?’

“I’d thrown myself out of bed, recreating the stunt. I think I’d been slightly traumatised.”

While John has a few months to go before leaving the soap he is ambitious for his future beyond Emmerdale.

Born in Bradford, John appeared in a Swinton Insurance ad in the early-1990s before a part in Coronation Street as John Hargreaves, who knocked down and killed Lisa Duckworth.

John also had a small part in Emmerdale in 1994 as PC John Jarvis who was investigating the Post Office raid before he came back as Ashley in 1996.

After two decades of playing a man of the cloth, he fancies going to the dark side for his next job.

“I’d love to play a villain, any actor would tell you that,” he says smiling.

“And I’d still love to do theatre where I cut my teeth.

“But I wouldn’t want to do another soap because it can be exhausting.

"If you’ve got a very heavy storyline, you’re in on camera at 8am and you can be doing scenes to do with the death of your child all day.

“If you’re doing that for weeks, it can take its toll emotionally. But a lot of the time it’s a doddle – ‘a pint please, Diane’ and that’s your scene.”

The actor is also a member of the Labour Party and revealed that his career could have been very different.

“I stood as a councillor in the North East and got beat, just at the point when I got the Emmerdale job,” he says.

“I toyed with the idea of becoming an MP and I’m still very close to the party in some respects.

“I could have gone into politics but that’s it... for the time being.”

Read more at:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/emmerdales-ashley-thomas-opens-up-6800748?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Telly Watcher
10-11-2015, 10:43
Dementia death trebles in 10 years

The Sun, 10 November 2015

Deaths from dementia in the UK have trebled over the past decade - and it is now the biggest killer of women.

Some 34,000 females died from the brain-wasting disease last year. It accounted for 13.4 per cent of female deaths, up from 4.7% in 2004.

Overall it claimed more than 51,000 lives. In men, figures have risen from two to seven per cent in a decade.

Dementia claimed 17,177 male lives last year making it the second biggest killer for men behind heart disease.

Cancer remains the largest killer of men and women when all its subtypes are combined, but dementia accounts for more than one in ten deaths.

Dementia now affects 850,000 people but the number of sufferers is expected to top two million by 2051. Jeremy Hughes, head of the Alzheimer's Society said: "It is an alarming reminder of the desperate need for more investment into research to ultimately find a cure.

Data from the Office for National Statistics showed 501,424 people died last year, a fall of one per cent from 2013.

Perdita
19-11-2015, 04:46
Emmerdale star John Middleton has been visiting a care home to research his latest storyline.

The actor's character Ashley Thomas was recently diagnosed with early onset vascular dementia, which has no cure.

Emmerdale researchers approached MHA - a charity that provides a range of care services for older people around the UK - in preparation for the storyline.

The charity subsequently arranged for Middleton to visit a home in Ilkley, West Yorkshire, which cares for 14 residents in its specialist Kitwood House dementia wing and a further 33 people in the home.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/45/1280x720/gallery_soaps-emmerdale-w47-e7349-01.jpg
It's all too much for Ashley
© ITV
Middleton said to The Telegraph and Argus: "The research I started was because I want everything to be accurate.

"I was anxious and careful to be specific about the type of dementia Ashley develops and what we can say about it. What surprised me was how much dementia varies from person to person. People's dementia is as different as their personalities. I very much saw that when I visited Glen Rosa.

"What I have taken away from my visits to Glen Rosa is what friends and relatives notice more about personality changes. We have built that into the scripts. You will notice Ashley will lose his temper with somebody."
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/45/1280x720/gallery_soaps-emmerdale-w47-e7350-02.jpg
When Ashley suggests they split up, Harriet it left hurt and confused
© ITV
He added: "We are very proud of the show and we like to get things right. If we get things right, it reaches out to people."

Emmerdale researcher Liam Johnson added:"When we were first told about the storyline involving Ashley being diagnosed with dementia, we knew we needed to get it right. Despite what people think, dementia is an overarching term for a number of forms so we needed the scripts and storyline to be accurate."

Middleton has confirmed that Ashley's dementia storyline will eventually take him out of the show.

suzewebb
21-11-2015, 21:00
Living with a person who had advanced dementia is hard. Really hard and i hope they show the impact on others with this storyline. Only today i took my dad who i care for full time to a church fair and cried on the vicars shoulder during a low moment. Dad was a lay preacher but dementia brought out a vocab in him that couldnt be shown on primetime tv. Also hitting and spitting etc. How much of this could they show on tv?

Perdita
22-11-2015, 04:39
Living with a person who had advanced dementia is hard. Really hard and i hope they show the impact on others with this storyline. Only today i took my dad who i care for full time to a church fair and cried on the vicars shoulder during a low moment. Dad was a lay preacher but dementia brought out a vocab in him that couldnt be shown on primetime tv. Also hitting and spitting etc. How much of this could they show on tv?

We have seen outbursts of anger already, might revisit Ashley abusing his dad again or maybe somebody else like Harriet, Laurel or maybe even Arthur

I feel for you, suzewebb, my mum was only in her early 60s when she started with this horrible illness http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/hugs/smileys-hugs-227563.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Perdita
28-11-2015, 05:37
Ashley has a blackout and stumbles during Bob's birthday hunt, leaving him helpless until he comes across a car. Later in the pub, Bob is alarmed when he realises that Ashley hasn't come back.

At the hospital, a doctor explains to Ashley that he had a mini-stroke, but he makes a hasty departure from the wards on his own. A worried Bob is about to tell Harriet the truth when Bob suddenly returns, saying he got waylaid with parish business. Bob is appalled to hear about Ashley's mini-stroke, not wanting to keep his secret anymore.

Meanwhile, Ross is looking after Moses and agrees to let a desperate Emma take him for a while. Emma wants to make a deal where she gets to look after Moses regularly, but Ross makes her swear that Debbie won't find out.

Elsewhere, Joanie is delighted as she tells Lisa that she got a job at the factory.

Also today, Laurel is floored when Harriet reveals that she's going to ask Ashley to marry her.

Glen1
28-11-2015, 13:07
Finding the Ashley storyline far more interesting than the Robert /Chas /Dianne /Emma business, which is rapidly getting boring for me.

Perdita
28-11-2015, 15:49
Finding the Ashley storyline far more interesting than the Robert /Chas /Dianne /Emma business, which is rapidly getting boring for me.

I find them both interesting .. Ashley´s because I hope they will show how quickly Alzheimers can develop and how patients behave .. Robert, Chas, Diane and Emma storyline is fascinating for me :)

Glen1
28-11-2015, 16:27
I find them both interesting .. Ashley´s because I hope they will show how quickly Alzheimers can develop and how patients behave .. Robert, Chas, Diane and Emma storyline is fascinating for me :)
Fair comment Perdita , I'm getting on a wee bit in years and occasionally forgetful , so this storyline may be a bit of a learning curve for me , looking for any clues I guess. Couldn't bare to inflict any burden on family.

Perdita
28-11-2015, 17:11
Aww Glen, sorry to hear that but most people start losing short term memory once they are in mid 40s ... Best thing is to do as Ashley did.. get proper medical tests done and get advice, there is a lot they can do now to help with this illness :)

Telly Watcher
15-12-2015, 13:58
Ashley & Laurel... BACK ON!

Then, on New Year's Eve, Ashley shocks Laurel with a suggestion.

'He says they should look into care homes for him'.

Spoiler from Soaplife newswriter
Soaplife, 19 Dec 2015 - 1 Jan 2016

lizann
16-12-2015, 19:47

feel sorry for harriet, she deserves the truth

john is doing an amazing job with the storyline

lizann
16-12-2015, 19:47

feel sorry for harriet, she deserves the truth

john is doing an amazing job with the storyline

Telly Watcher
24-12-2015, 01:33
There are emotional scenes ahead in Emmerdale as Ashley Thomas continues his tragic journey – by finally confessing to his children and his father Sandy that he is suffering from dementia.

The difficult moment comes as Sandy discovers leaflets for a care home – and makes the assumption that Ashley making plans for him. As Ashley and Laurel return home, they are confronted and Ashley is forced to sit his dad down and explain the truth of the bleak situation.

The news hits poor Sandy hard and, despite trying to put on a brave face, he later opens up to Doug about his fears for his son.

With the news spreading, Laurel and Ashley face the terrible prospect of telling the kids and, even though Ashley desperately tries to put it off, he eventually tells them directly.

Explaining the difficult situation, Charlotte Bellamy told Metro.co.uk: ‘The little boy, Alfie, who plays Arthur is an absolute gem he doesn’t really understand it. I was trying to explain it to him yesterday. I said do you know what’s going on with the story, do you know about… And his Mum’s tried to explain, and he says, “his brain goes funny, doesn’t it? Does he get better?”

‘So I’m like, “no he doesn’t get better”, and I tried to explain. But it’s awful. It’s hard, a boy of six years old, how do you tell them their Dad is going to lose their mind?’

Revealing an upcoming scene which sees a sad Ashley take the children out of school on a whim, Charlotte added: ‘He takes them out one day, he knows what he is doing. They have this picnic during the day by this stream and they have sausage rolls and cups of tea and the kids are on deckchairs and he thinks, “why don’t I do that more often?”

‘That’s quite nice. Course the kids don’t know what they are doing, they have a day off, there will be lots of moments like that I think.’

In the wake of confiding in his children, the news starts to spread around the village, leaving everyone shocked and devastated by what is happening to their friend. And as Ashley then builds bridges with Harriet, it’s clear he will have a strong support network.

But how long before the one closest to him starts to really feel the strain? As Laurel breaks down while alone, the cracks are already starting to show…

Read more at:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/24/emmerdale-spoilers-emotions-run-high-as-ashley-thomas-illness-is-revealed-to-the-village-5555082/

lizann
24-12-2015, 19:12
is ashley moving laurel into harriet's rented house

lizann
16-01-2016, 00:10
ashley laurel and kids move back into debbie's house their old place

Perdita
05-02-2016, 20:02
Emmerdale producer Iain MacLeod has confirmed that Ashley and Laurel are planning to recommit themselves to one another by remarrying.

The couple tied the knot years previously on the soap, and will do so again in around six weeks time.

Speaking to Digital Spy and other press, MacLeod confirmed that Laurel will continue supporting Ashley following his dementia diagnosis, and the pair will eventually remarry.

He said: "The Ashley story is one I'm really personally very invested in. I think it's everything that our show does brilliantly.

"It's heartbreaking and it deals with the minutiae of human experience but it's also got huge emotional stakes attached to it."

MacLeod went on to say: "That's something that we'll be running for at least the rest of the year and beyond if we can find enough heartbreaking chapters in it.

"For me it's a good example of my favourite kind of story really. At its core, it's a love story."

Speaking about Ashley's dementia storyline, he added: "I know it centres around a big medical issue but the bits of it that I'm most interested in, much like the Paddy/Rhona story, it's how it affects these human beings, how it affects these relationships.

"When it boils down to it, it's stories about love and loyalty and loss. Yes, the Ashley story is at its core a medical story but I just think there's tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of warmth and humanity to get from it."

Speaking about the couple's future, the producer said: "The next big chapter in that, incidentally, is their wedding which is coming up in about six weeks' time.

"That has a really interesting twist within it, but at its core it's a really poignant, sad, joyous, complicated day.

"I'm so looking forward to seeing those episodes. The scripts are just starting to come through now," he added.

"Much as Kate set the ball rolling on those, just reading it on the page, it's just heartbreaking and heartwarming and gorgeous, that's one of the big stories that's going to play out over 2016."

Digital Spy

Telly Watcher
09-02-2016, 00:58
Emmerdale star John Middleton has revealed that Ashley and Laurel's plans to remarry will come as a "happy accident".

The show's new producer Iain MacLeod recently announced that Ashley and Laurel will be tying the knot again in around six weeks' time, keen to make the most of the time they have left together.

Ashley and Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) start making their plans next week, both looking to the future after an eventful few days.

First of all there's a big misunderstanding when Ashley wrongly accuses Laurel of hitting the bottle again, and things get even more complicated when Laurel discovers that she's still pregnant following her recent scare.

Middleton, who has played Ashley since 1996, explained: "When Ashley and Laurel start planning to remarry, it's a very happy accident! It comes after it's revealed that Laurel isn't drinking after all, and also that she hasn't lost the baby.

"That to Ashley is God finally giving him a gift beyond anything he could have asked for. He's desperate to tell someone, and even though he's sworn to secrecy, he can't help but blurt out to Laurel's father Doug that there is impending fantastic news.

"Laurel really doesn't want to say anything at that point, so she then diverts attention by saying that she and Ashley are thinking of getting married. That's a surprise to both Ashley and Doug!

"I think it's a great idea, though, because what neither of them have at the moment is any stability. It's a reaffirmation of their very great love for one another."

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/05/640x425/gallery-1454599190-18-02-emmerdale-2nd-ep-06.JPG
© ITV
Harriet hears about Laurel and Ashley's wedding

Ashley was diagnosed with early onset dementia last year and the tragic storyline will ultimately see the character leave Emmerdale. He won't be going too soon, though, as Middleton is currently contracted for the rest of this year at least.

Discusssing how the story will progress, Middleton added: "I've done a lot of research and I know that Ashley has a very rocky road in front of him. I'm very much at the mercy now of the writers, because it depends on how rapidly they want to progress this.

"Ashley could plateau for a long time, or he could have catastrophic collapses brought on by mini-strokes. As an actor I don't yet know which route they'll take or how long I'm going to be here.

"This is a question which I'm hoping to get an answer to shortly, because I need to be planning for this! But at the moment I absolutely genuinely don't know."

By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a782848/emmerdale-star-john-middleton-reveals-why-ashley-and-laurel-decide-to-remarry/

Perdita
13-02-2016, 04:58
John Middleton has spoken out about his uncertain future on Emmerdale.
The 62-year-old actor knows his days on the popular long-running soap are numbered as his alter-ego Ashley Thomas - who he has played since 1996 - will soon lose his battle with dementia but he has admitted bosses haven't told him how long he has left on the Dales before he's sadly killed off.
He explained: "I am very much at the mercy of the writers - I don't know how long I'm going to be here. It depends on how rapidly they progress his dementia, because he could plateau for a long time. I don't know which route they will take."
However, although he's concerned about his exit scenes creeping up on him before he's ready to wave goodbye to the show, John feels incredibly honoured producers chose him to portray such a hard-hitting and emotional storyline.
John continued: "It's a big challenge, so it's not a very comfortable journey for an actor but it is an exciting one. I'm getting to explore things that you never normally do. I know it seems wrong but I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it."

mariba
13-02-2016, 11:19
I don't like Ashley leaving Emmerdale as especially with Edna gone, Ashley is the only character offering a bit of calmness in the middle of all madness..

Perdita
17-03-2016, 17:51
Emmerdale star Charlotte Bellamy has praised Ashley Thomas's current dementia storyline for its longevity, revealing that John Middleton won't be bowing out of the role any time soon.

Viewers know that Ashley has early onset dementia and Middleton confirmed last year that he will be leaving the show at the end of the emotional storyline.

Speaking about the plot on Lorraine today (March 17), Bellamy - who plays Ashley's partner Laurel - said: "They are going to take their time with this story and I think that's really important.

"Emmerdale has a responsibility to tell this story right and that's what they do really well. They take these big issues and they research them.

"We have a fantastic research team and the writers and the producers all want to get it right and tell it well. He is not leaving quite yet."

Recent episodes have seen Laurel discover that she is expecting Ashley's child, and the reunited couple will tie the knot again in scenes airing tomorrow night.

However, Bellamy explained that there is still be a challenging road ahead for the pair.

She said: "They are meant to be together. He has been diagnosed with dementia but you feel like the audience are behind you. They want them to be happy for the time he has left.

"It's a really important issue to tackle and it's ongoing, because you don't know when Laurel is going to go back on the drink.

"But she's going to be his carer, ultimately, so she's going to be caring for a baby and for him. You will be wondering when the stress is going to get to her."

The show's new producer Iain MacLeod recently reiterated that Ashley's story would run for a while yet, saying: "That's something that we'll be running for at least the rest of the year and beyond if we can find enough heartbreaking chapters in it.

"For me, it's a good example of my favourite kind of story really. At its core, it's a love story."

Digital Spy

Telly Watcher
18-03-2016, 01:03
Emmerdale star Charlotte Bellamy has praised Ashley Thomas's current dementia storyline for its longevity, revealing that John Middleton won't be bowing out of the role any time soon.

Viewers know that Ashley has early onset dementia and Middleton confirmed last year that he will be leaving the show at the end of the emotional storyline.

Speaking about the plot on Lorraine today (March 17), Bellamy - who plays Ashley's partner Laurel - said: \"They are going to take their time with this story and I think that's really important.\"Digital Spy

A video of Charlotte Bellamy's interview on ITV's Lorraine show can be seen at:

"Emmerdale's Charlotte Bellamy On Laurel and Ashley's Big Day | Lorraine", 4m 48s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a4-IVLzWSQ

Laurel and Ashley's wedding ceremony will be aired later today on ITV from 7pm.

Spoilers suggest something adverse happens after the ceremony whilst the guests are at the reception. The storyline continues during Monday's episode (21 March).

I previously posted some suggestions about what might happen after the wedding in a post on 12 March.

(But don't peek if you haven't already read it and don't want any surprise spoiled early!)

Previous suggestion post at:
http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?124879-Laurel-and-Marlon&p=844393#post844393

Telly Watcher
18-03-2016, 21:10
It’s the most haunting and bittersweet story in soap at the moment – the beauty of Ashley and Laurel Thomas finding love again and reuniting their family being spliced with the tragedy of the devastating illness that is making him slowly fade away is an emotional watch for viewers.

And the combination of joy and heartache has never been more evident in our minds than when those credits rolled following the wedding episode that saw poor Ashley suffer a seizure after an otherwise fairytale day.

With Doug having put aside his doubts and fears for his daughter’s futures and Harriet having proven that there are no hard feelings by agreeing to be the one to marry them, the couple were set to enjoy their love witnessed by the village.

With Laurel looking beautiful and Ashley never being more proud, our eyes were already pretty moisturised by the time the cruel twist unfolded.

And now we are just left with a lot of questions as we await for the next chapter in Ashley’s poignant tale.

Will he be okay? Will he even remember his wedding day? If he doesn’t, will it be a permanent or temporary lapse in memory? Will Laurel cope? Is this the beginning of Ashley taking a turn for the worse?

While we can’t give any specific answers to those queries right now, we can guarantee several things. Firstly, that the road ahead will remain full of challenges and difficulties for Laurel and Ashley and the wedding day’s ending will prove a devastating reminder that Ashley’s illness is very much still there and unable to be ignored.

Secondly, that the performances from John Middleton, Charlotte Bellamy and the cast involved on the outskirts will continue to blow us away and pull at our heart strings.

And thirdly, that there will continue to be uplifting moments weaved through the tragedy of what is, at the core, a story of illness and eventual loss – but also a story of love and warmth.

We are sworn to secrecy over what Ashley’s seizure means for him and his wife in the immediate future – but what we can say is that this is just the start of another chapter in the long running saga that will continue to deliver all of the emotions that will keep you engaged until the very end and beyond.

By Duncan Lindsay for Metro.co.uk
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/18/emmerdale-tragedy-ashley-thomas-forgets-about-his-wedding-day-after-his-seizure-but-what-next-5755704/

Telly Watcher
19-03-2016, 01:41
A video about Emmerdale was shown on ITV's Lorraine show on Friday 18 March 2016.

In this, TV presenter Martel Maxwell took a trip to the Dales to get some behind the scenes gossip ahead of Laurel and Ashley's soap wedding of the year. Interviews were shown for the actors playing the characters of Laurel, Ashley, Doug, Paddy, Rhona and Harriet.

"Emmerdale Behind The Scenes: Laurel And Ashley's Wedding | Lorraine", 3m 20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-d3oi9TLis

Telly Watcher
21-03-2016, 18:19
I'm really hoping that Ashley has had only a mini-stroke (transient ischaemic attack (TIA)), with the memory loss symptoms lasting for only a short while.

Memory seems to take place in at least two parts. First, the memory gets stored as it happens. Then, some time later such as when sleeping properly, it gets linked in to other memories. If the linking process doesn't work properly for whatever reason, it can mean that the memory just sits there alone in the brain just forgotten about until something triggers a link to it. Most people have maybe forgotten when they put something, only to remember where they put it later during a quiet moment when thinking about something else.

I'm hoping that Ashley's memory loss is temporary for now and that when Ashley gets reminders of the past (such as when he sees photos of his recent wedding that Bob took of it) then Ashley will remember his wedding to Laurel and who she is, along with other memories from the past too, for now anyway.

Further info about vascular dementia can be seen at www.alzheimers.org.uk

What is vascular dementia?
Alzheimer's Society
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=161

Telly Watcher
17-04-2016, 08:20
Long-serving Emmerdale star John Middleton isn't leaving the show just yet.

Last year, the actor confirmed that he'll be leaving the show at the end of the emotional storyline that sees his character Ashley Thomas battle early onset dementia, but thanks to new boss Iain MacLeod, Ashley will now be around for a bit longer.

"The storyline is going to be extended a little bit. That was the first thing I wanted to ask Iain MacLeod," Middleton told the Daily Star Sunday.

"I had a meeting with him and said, 'Iain, I just need to know when I'm going, my agent's chomping at the bit'," he continued. "Iain did say he wanted to get as many chapters, as he put it, out of it as he can. He also wants to give the story its due."

As a result, Middleton is expected to remain in Emmerdale through next spring until the storyline ends with Ashley's death.

"What we're dealing with here is a love story where you know there is only one ending for Ashley and Laurel," he explained, before adding that he was proud of the show for raising awareness of dementia.

Middleton has played the role of Ashley since 1996. Speaking last year, he outlined his reasoning for agreeing to the storyline, set up by former boss Kate Oates.

"Every year I think, 'Should I go?' It's a bit like a footballer - you should only leave the team when you've had a good season. This, if I'm up to it, will provide me with the best season I've had in my life," he noted.

Middleton has been nominated for Best Actor at this year's British Soap Awards.

By Ian Sandwell, Digital Spy
http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a790905/emmerdales-john-middleton-will-stay-in-the-show-longer-as-new-boss-iain-macleod-extends-dementia-storyline/

Perdita
10-05-2016, 04:14
Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas is left devastated next week as his parenting is called into question as a result of his dementia.

Ashley and his wife Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) will find themselves under investigation from social services after he unwittingly abandons their son Arthur at the hospital.

The shock moment takes place after Ashley and Arthur team up with Sandy to build a pirate ship, hoping to spend some quality time together as Sandy is feeling lonely following the death of Edna Birch.

Unfortunately, the day goes badly wrong when Arthur cuts himself with a saw and has to be rushed to hospital.

Ashley becomes confused
© ITV
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/18/1280x851/gallery-1462532984-19-05-emmerdale-1st-ep-06.jpg
The stress and pressure of the situation soon becomes too much for Ashley and when he heads off to find someone in the building, he suddenly forgets why he is there in the first place.

It's only later that Ashley realises Arthur is missing, but the damage is already done as police and social services get involved - deciding to investigate whether he's fit to look after his son.

John Middleton, who plays Ashley, revealed: "When Ashley goes to the hospital with Arthur in a taxi, it's a great emergency. Arthur is in pain but he's trying to be brave.

"Ashley goes to find somebody because there's nobody at the reception desk. In that moment, he forgets where he is and why he's there. A short while later, Laurel suddenly appears. It all makes sense to him - he must be there for Laurel's baby scan.

"It's the most dreadful thing when Ashley realises what he's done. Any parent can imagine the pain of losing a child accidentally, but Ashley thinks that to just forget you were ever with them is unforgivable - despite his condition. He feels incredibly guilty."
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/18/1280x851/gallery-1462533770-20-05-emmerdale-08.jpg
Ashley and Laurel are nervous about the social care visit
© ITV
Ashley struggles to keep his temper in check when he's forced to face a social worker the next day, which could make matters a whole lot worse for him.

Middleton added: "Ashley is very apprehensive. He will know these processes intimately because of his pastoral work as a vicar. It's the first time they've had official influence. Obviously there's been a medical input, but this is the first time that social services have been involved.

"I think Ashley is in denial about it. He's trying to say that it was just an accident. He's almost pretending that it's not going to happen again and he's capable of looking after his son. The fact that might be brought into question is devastating for him."

Perdita
23-06-2016, 05:21
Emmerdale producer Iain MacLeod has revealed that Ashley Thomas's condition will take a tragic turn for the worse in the autumn.

Ashley was diagnosed with dementia late last year and the ITV soap is carefully exploring his slow deterioration in a long-running storyline.

John Middleton, who plays Ashley, is staying with Emmerdale until at least early 2016 - but he has confirmed that the story will ultimately lead to his exit from the show.

Speaking about the future of the plot, MacLeod revealed: "With Ashley, we wanted to be relatively gentle with the progression of his deterioration. I can't talk too specifically about timescales for any eventual deterioration and when it might become a clinical matter that Laurel can't deal with.

"We wanted to show the more low level elements of what Ashley is experiencing before we get to the really big stuff. He's going to have a fairly significant downturn somewhere towards the end of the year - September or October time.

"We wanted to take our time rather than go to the big, florid symptoms. We want to do the story justice, reflect all of the phases that anyone living with dementia will recognise, and do it in a non-soapy, straightforward way."

Laurel announces that Gabby and Jacob can't see each other anymore

MacLeod also addressed the future for Ashley's wife Laurel following the big reveal that she'll start drinking again next week.

The recovering alcoholic is tempted by booze after problems with her rebellious stepdaughter Gabby, but the final straw for Laurel comes when Ashley forgetfully calls her by the name of his ex-partner Harriet Finch.

Asked whether Laurel will have a long-term relapse, MacLeod replied: "It's not an addiction story for Laurel. It's not that she goes right back off at the deep end.

"It's a means of us understanding the depth of the anxiety and anguish that she is feeling about Ashley. It propels her into making some fairly tough decisions about her relationship with Ashley, but it doesn't develop back into a full alcoholism storyline."

Digital Spy

emerald
23-06-2016, 11:55
Poor Ashley. And I really hope Laurel doesn't go back to being an alcoholic - if Ashley's condition is going to get worse Gaby and Arthur will need her more than ever.

tammyy2j
24-07-2016, 00:15
John Middleton has teased Laurel Thomas's upcoming birth scenes, saying they will be very dramatic.

Ashley was diagnosed with dementia late last year, shortly before he reconciled with his ex-wife Laurel and they learned they were expecting a baby.

Middleton, who plays Ashley, said to Inside Soap: "At the moment we are filming the birth of Laurel and Ashley's baby, which is very dramatic.

"I would sum up the next few months for Ashley as being a tragic love story - but I can say no more than that, I am afraid."

Discussing which characters he would like to see Ashley share more screen time with, the actor added: "I'd love to do more with Ashley and Dan, as they are such different characters.

"And I have great admiration for Danny Miller [Aaron] - again, there is great potential there because of how different Aaron and Ashley are."

The show's producer Iain MacLeod has previously revealed that Ashley Thomas's condition will take a tragic turn for the worse in the autumn.

Perdita
04-10-2016, 05:32
Could Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas be leaving the show earlier than we all expected?

We asked John Middleton that very question at the Inside Soap Awards last night (October 3) and he certainly wasn't ruling out a sudden death for his popular character.

Ashley features in the show's new 'Last Dance' trailer, which confirms imminent doom for at least one regular character.

It all ties in with an explosive week which launches on October 17 - and John has given us some brand new hints in the video chat above.

"I can say that it's the most exciting filming that I've ever done anywhere," John promised. "I can also say that we've filmed it in a completely different way than we normally would do.

"So it's going to look different, it's going to feel different and it's going to be hugely exciting."

On whether this could be the moment that Ashley meets his fate, he replied: "Yeah, it could. It's unusual for me to be involved in any sort of stunt at all. It's not normally my gig. But this one I'm heavily involved in. So there's a hint!"

You can watch John chat in full about the explosive week by hitting play on the video above - don't miss it!

Emmerdale only killed off Holly Barton last week, but the brand new trailer lines up Ashley, Laurel, Robert, Aaron, Paddy, Rhona, Marlon, Pierce, James and Emma as potential victims of the next big tragedy.

It's been no secret that Ashley is leaving Emmerdale at some point following his dementia diagnosis, but could it be that something else other than his illness ultimately claims his life? We'll find out in a fortnight's time...

The Inside Soap Awards 2016 took place at the Hippodrome Casino in London on Monday night.

Digital Spy

mariba
04-10-2016, 21:32
It's very lazy writing if Ashley will go suddenly..I so wish they would show how horrible illness dementia is..

Perdita
07-11-2016, 05:20
Emmerdale fans will be given insight into the reality of living with dementia in a special upcoming episode.

This December, viewers will be able to experience the world from Ashley Thomas's (John Middleton) eyes in a one-off special.

It was only last year that it was revealed that the former vicar had early onset vascular dementia.

The team behind Emmerdale are set to produce a realistic perspective on Ashley's dementia diagnosis and its progression, which viewers have seen steadily worsen over the past few months.

The crew will recreate Ashley's perspective using specific cinematography techniques. They have been challenged to try and picture the disorientation and confusion the condition creates and how everyday experience can become distressing when seen through the lens of dementia.

"People living with dementia face challenges most of us can barely imagine. So, I took it as a challenge to help people picture this experience – to put them inside the mind of someone living with this condition", said Emmerdale Series Producer, Iain MacLeod.

Currently, the exact storyline of this one-off broadcast remains under wraps.

He added: "At its core, though, this has always been a love story between Ashley and his wife Laurel, and this episode is a heart-breaking landmark in the evolution of their relationship."

Theresa Knight, Media Relationships Manager for MHA revealed: "We have been closely involved with Emmerdale since the team contacted us wanting John to visit one of our care homes for people living with dementia.

"Since then we have been involved in feeding back on scripts and storylines involving Ashley as his condition deteriorates.

"We have been delighted as to how seriously the whole team at Emmerdale is taking the storyline and the lengths they are going to in their research.

"We know from having had discussions about and given feedback on the episode from Ashley's viewpoint that it will be an exceptionally moving piece of drama."

The special has been informed by and produced with the support of the Alzheimer's Society and MHA.

Digital Spy

tammyy2j
08-11-2016, 12:59
John Middleton is doing amazing in this storyline so sad to watch though

Splashy
08-11-2016, 13:29
My lovely Aunt is in a home because of this. "insert swear words" illness. She is in a brilliant place thou close to her sister and us, But the portrayal of Ashley is spot on.

I just wish they would make it a bit clearer how Laurel is paying for this day care help. My aunts fees are over three grand a month for living in a home under BUPA, but I know the council demand fees as well even the selling of a joint owned house to pay for the care.

But yes John is really earning his pay in this sad story line.

Perdita
07-12-2016, 04:39
Emmerdale fans can expect some heartwarming scenes this Christmas as the Thomas family get the chance to enjoy some rare happiness again.

Ashley is currently facing the daily challenges of living with dementia, which will leave his wife Laurel in despair over the coming weeks as his condition seems to be getting rapidly worse.

While Ashley hits a particularly low moment in his special standalone episode just before Christmas, the good news is that he and Laurel will get the chance to experience some festive cheer afterwards.

December 25 doesn't start off too well for the Thomases, as Ashley fails to realise that it's Christmas Day and Gabby's birthday.

However, when Gabby finds a box of wrapped presents and opens them, she's moved to tears as she realises that they're from Ashley and he did remember after all.

While the family have to explain that Ashley isn't having a good day when they attend church later on, Christmas soon takes an unexpected turn for the better.

Emmerdale fans will have to tune in to find out what happens, but show bosses are promising "a happy surprise" for the Thomas family.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/47/768x838/gallery-1479915749-09-12-emmerdale-05.JPG
Laurel is struggling with Ashley
ITV

John Middleton, who plays Ashley, also told Inside Soap's Christmas issue: "Christmas Day is actually a lovely day in terms of how Ashley is.

"He has a sort of slight awakening on Christmas Day, to do with the circumstances of the day itself - the service in the church, things like that. There's a familiarity to it all, which is sparked by a carol initially."

Digital Spy

I am glad they are letting them have a good Christmas, I dread the future episodes though as I like Ashley and shall miss him once he has gone

lizann
16-12-2016, 20:33
oh not a good christmas for thomas family as ashley end is nearing

Perdita
16-12-2016, 20:35
oh not a good christmas for thomas family as ashley end is nearing

I think Christmas is going to be nice for them .. New Years Eve/New Years Day might not be :(

lizann
20-12-2016, 21:21
john deserves every award possible, incredible moving

Glen1
20-12-2016, 22:37
Totally absorbing episode, watery eye time throughout. Those touches with substitute characters. metal discs for coins all contributed to John Middleton's performance in Ashley's world. :clap:

kiwigirl
21-12-2016, 06:51
I am in total agreement with every post that mentioned the brilliant performance by John Middleton. Yes a very teary-eyed episode, and yes Best Male actor of a soap for 2017 :clap:

emerald
22-12-2016, 00:12
It was great to see how well Aaron handled the situation and how sensitive he was with Ashley, far more than Doug was. He's really developed as a character, when you think of how angry and self hating he used to be.

Perdita
17-01-2017, 04:56
Emmerdale's Doug Potts and Diane Sugden get a worrying insight into just how bad life has become for Laurel Thomas next week.

Doug steps in to help Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) out when it becomes clear that she's struggling to care for her husband Ashley, who was diagnosed with dementia in late 2015.

With Ashley's lucid moments now few and far between, his family have faced an upsetting few months as he's changed beyond all recognition.

Things get even worse next week when a mix-up with Ashley's carer leads to Gabby having to look after her confused father and her little sister Dotty all on her own.

Laurel is mortified when she finds out what's happened, but Doug wants his daughter to stop beating herself up and offers to give her a break from looking after Ashley (John Middleton).

Doug explains that he and Diane can take on the responsibility for a while, but they're both shocked when they realise just how much Ashley has deteriorated and what it's really like to look after him.

Wanting to pretend like everything is fine, Doug lies to Laurel by hiding how much he and Diane are already struggling with Ashley.

However, it's not long before Laurel uncovers the truth and she eventually makes a heartbreaking decision which could change everything.

Duncan Preston, who plays Doug, revealed: "Doug and Diane can see how exhausted and stressed Laurel is. So they turf her out so she can have a break away from it, and they go into the house and take over her role. It is only then they know how difficult it is.

"Laurel is really struggling. Doug thinks it's time Ashley went into full time care and Laurel just can't conceive making that decision at this point. So he and Diane do the next best thing and offer to step into her shoes to pick up the slack for a bit, to give her a break.

"Laurel fights the full time care suggestion tooth and nail. But then when she realises they want to help her in her home, she's grateful. However, Laurel is doubtful whether they realise the extent of Ashley's behaviour. She knows deep down they might struggle.

"Initially he's not honest over how it is going with him and Diane taking over Ashley's care at home, as they are struggling, but he doesn't want to admit this to her.

"They're a strong family so they will carry on keeping it together. But it's going to be a tough time ahead for them all."

Asked how he feels about being involved in such an emotional storyline, Duncan replied: "I have been involved in a situation like this in real life, not to do with dementia, but to do with something else - another mental illness. So I know what it is like and I know that it's very, very tricky.

"It can be hard to deal with, so I understand it completely. It's important Emmerdale are telling this story as dementia is so prevalent. The carers are heroes in my opinion."

Digital Spy

Perdita
15-02-2017, 10:50
Laurel Thomas’ worst nightmare comes to pass in Emmerdale as her husband Ashley starts to forget her. Laurel has been struggling since Ashley went into full time care, fearing that he no longer needs her as he settles into his new life and makes new friends.
As she strives to spend as much time as possible with him in his new environment, Laurel is rocked when she pays him a visit and he forgets who she is properly for the first time.
As she takes him out for a picnic, the moment Laurel has been dreading comes while they spend time together and Laurel realises that their relationship is now changing forever.
As she takes Ashley back to the care home, she is rocked further to see the friendships he is developing and she feels pushed out.
Will Laurel fall apart as the cruel illness continues to snatch Ashley away?

Perdita
19-02-2017, 09:11
Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod – Ashley’s death is soon
Get ready to say an emotional goodbye to Emmerdale’s Ashley Thomas because his death is just around the corner.
Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod says the village vicar’s death scenes have now been written and will be filmed in the coming weeks.
But he’s assured fans that Ashley, who has dementia and is currently in a care home, won’t meet a tragic end.
Iain said: “Ashley’s exit story is not that far off – it’s tragic to say it but he will soon be no longer with us. I’ve just signed off on the final version on the episode in which he dies and it is unbelievably beautiful.
“It’s oddly joyous – it’s a celebration of the character. We didn’t want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something, it would be too bleak.
“In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members think “well none of us wanted him to go so soon” but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death that we could construct.
“It’s super warm and funny and almost festive and boisterous. It’s just beautiful and I couldn’t be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew.”
He added: “Shortly after the death, it’s obviously his funeral and what we’ve got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky – though not in the same way – as that special Ashley episode that we did.
“It’s as experimental as that but in a different way – that will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come.
“I hope people are as surprised as I was when I read it. It’s pretty special, I have to say. The story has been so well written and so well played that I’d be hard pressed to find anything that we would have done differently.”

Digital Spy

Glen1
19-02-2017, 12:48
Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod – Ashley’s death is soon ......Digital Spy
Pleased the writers didn't opt for some massive tragic conclusion for Ashley's death. Seems he will die in peace. Great storyline throughout, very informative,original and superbly acted. :clap:

Perdita
20-02-2017, 09:45
Emmerdale fans need to have their tissues at the ready as the show’s boss has already signed off on Ashley Thomas’ tragic final episode. While viewers have been aware for some time that the dementia storyline would inevitably lead to Ashley’s death, fans are unlikely to be prepared for the emotion and harrowing performances as the final chapter plays out.
Revealing that John Middleton will film his final scenes in just a matter of weeks, producer Iain MacLeod has shared the first hints on what viewers can expect – and he is clearly keen to ensure that the devastating scenes are not overly bleak, with him putting particular emphasis on the fact that it will pay tribute to the character in a positive way.
He explained to Metro.co.uk at a recent event: ‘Ashley’s exit story is not that far off – it’s tragic to say it but he will soon be no longer with us. I’ve just signed off on the final version of the episode in which he dies and it is unbelievably beautiful. It’s oddly joyous – a celebration of the character. We didn’t want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something, it would be too bleak.

‘In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members think “well none of us wanted him to go so soon but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death”
‘It’s super warm and funny and almost festive and boisterous. It’s just beautiful and I couldn’t be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew.’
Revealing what would follow the loss of Ashley, Iain continued: ‘Shortly after the death, it’s obviously his funeral and what we’ve got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky as that special Ashley episode that we did. It’s as experimental as that but in a different way – that will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come. I hope people are as surprised when watching it as I was when I read it.

‘It’s pretty special, I have to say. The story has been so well written and so well played that I’d be hard pressed to find anything that we would have done differently.’

metro.co.uk

lizann
27-02-2017, 18:16
will he play any part in emma getting caught before he dies?

Perdita
27-02-2017, 18:44
will he play any part in emma getting caught before he dies?

I hope so!!

Perdita
09-03-2017, 12:41
Laurel Thomas is given even more cause for concern in Emmerdale as her ailing husband Ashley stops eating – but what is behind his decision to start concealing his food? And will it have devastating consequences on his health?
Laurel pays a visit to Ashley with Arthur by her side and her fears that he isn’t eating properly are confirmed when she finds food stuffed in the pockets of his bath robe.
She is faced with even more upset when Ashley continues to struggle with remembering who she is and is clearly happier spending time with Maggie. With Laurel feeling like she has to accept this, she later realises the reason for him hiding his food and she struggles with the enormity of the situation and the fact that her marriage has changed forever.
When Laurel pays another visit, Ashley and Maggie don’t even notice her presence, happy in their own world. And when Laurel returns home to a chaotic household, it’s clear that she is heading close to the edge.
How much more of this agony will she be able to take before she cracks under the pressure?

metro.co.uk

Perdita
14-03-2017, 05:03
It's the end of an era at Emmerdale, as Digital Spy can confirm that long-serving star John Middleton has filmed his final scenes for the soap.

The popular actor, who plays Ashley Thomas, secretly shot his character's emotional exit earlier this month - so there's not long left now before we see him bow out.

We're sworn to secrecy on when Ashley's last episode will air at this early stage, but fans can expect to see him stick around on our screens for a few more weeks due to Emmerdale being filmed so far in advance.

Ashley has been living with dementia for well over a year now and he recently moved into a care home as his family were struggling to provide the round-the-clock attention he needed.

Ashley's wife Laurel has since been left devastated by him forgetting her and growing close to a female resident at the care home.

Emmerdale's producer Iain MacLeod recently spoke to Digital Spy and other media about Ashley's exit, promising a fitting departure for him.

Iain revealed: "It's oddly joyous and it's a celebration of the character. We didn't want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something - it would be too bleak.

"In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death - so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members would think: 'Well, none of us wanted him to go so soon, but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death'.

"It's super warm and funny - and almost festive and boisterous. It's just beautiful and I couldn't be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew."

Confirming a special episode for Ashley's funeral, he added: "Shortly after the death, it's obviously Ashley's funeral and what we've got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky - though not in the same way - as that special Ashley episode that we did last year.

"It's as experimental as that, but in a different way. That will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come."

John has been playing the role of Ashley since 1996.

Digital Spy

:(

Topaz
18-03-2017, 02:55
I honestly can't believe he's played Ashley for 20 odd years. Where has that time gone??

Such a sad storyline but beautifully acted. Will miss Ashley!

Perdita
21-03-2017, 07:20
Emmerdale could be drawing closer to Ashley Thomas's exit storyline next week as his health takes another sudden turn for the worse.

Fans know that we're nearing the end of Ashley's dementia storyline, as Digital Spy recently revealed that John Middleton has already filmed his final scenes in the role after 21 years.

Next week's Emmerdale episodes see Ashley's loved ones breathe a huge sigh of relief, as he's safely back at the care home after briefly doing a runner in a confused state.

Despite everyone being glad that Ashley is okay, relations aren't too rosy between Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) and her dad Doug, as she struggles to forgive him for a crass comment that he made about Ashley when he was missing.

Laurel is so annoyed with Doug that she even refuses to turn to him for support when her young son Arthur suddenly falls ill. However, with so many responsibilities, it's clear that Laurel is struggling to juggle everything when Arthur throws up during a visit to Ashley.

A few days later, Doug tries to get back in Laurel's good books by taking part in a family talent show to cheer her up.

Sadly, just when things seem to be looking up for everyone again, Laurel receives word that Ashley has suffered a violent coughing fit at the care home.

Bob Hope is witness to the shock moment while spending time with Ashley and he's horrified to spot that his old friend has coughed up blood.

As the Thomas family struggle with the latest bad news about Ashley, could Arthur be left fearing that he's passed on the illness and is to blame?

And could this be the beginning of the end for Ashley?

Digital Spy

Perdita
04-04-2017, 12:25
Emmerdale airs Ashley Thomas's funeral next week as a huge crowd gathers to pay their last respects to the much-loved village vicar.

John Middleton's final scenes in the role air this Friday, as Ashley passes away a few days after being diagnosed with pneumonia.

Ashley has been living with vascular dementia for nearly two years, but his loved ones had no idea that the end for him would come so soon.

In the aftermath of Ashley's death, his wife Laurel, daughter Gabby and old flame Harriet all seem to be struggling badly in their own ways.

Gabby is particularly resentful that she didn't get enough time to say goodbye privately to her dad and bitterly blames her mum Bernice for this.

On the funeral day, the tragic events also take their toll on Arthur, who reads a poem at the graveyard but becomes overcome with emotion half-way through and runs off.

Even Harriet feels that she didn't perform well while leading the service, feeling guilty over her shaky delivery when faced with the heartbreaking task.

Charlotte Bellamy, who plays Laurel, revealed: "Laurel feels numb after Ashley's death and she's on autopilot. Laurel wasn't prepared to lose Ashley at all, because she thought they had years left together. He's taken so abruptly and Laurel just wasn't ready for it.

"There's a big turnout at the funeral, but that's no surprise really because Ashley has been such a central part of the village over the years. The service is really beautiful and it's a celebration of his life – especially as it's in the church where he served for many years."

Charlotte has also spoken about what it was like to say goodbye to John, who's played Ashley for 21 years.

She confirmed: "We gave him a right good send-off! I said in my speech at his leaving party that I've never been to a leaving do and seen so many people there. It was brimming with people – cast, crew, production team, writers and directors. That is a testament to John and how much he's loved and respected.

"As in any soap, the machine carries on, but I do feel a little bit lost at times without John. I'm sure it'll get easier, but he's been such a huge part of my life in Emmerdale and I do miss him."

Digital Spy

Glen1
04-04-2017, 15:55
Very pleased that John Middleton will be able to leave the Dales on a massive high. Justly deserved respect. Understand he intends to continue his support and interest for Dementia societies . :clap:

Perdita
04-04-2017, 16:48
Apparently it has been confirmed that Emma´s confession video that Ashley filmed will be discovered ... http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/scare/smileys-scare-207731.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

tammyy2j
05-04-2017, 16:44
Ashley's dementia storyline has been one of the best ever storylines done by a tv show, Emmerdale and John Middleton deserve all awards, praise and accolades

vcdg84
07-04-2017, 20:46
So sad and tragic. Such a lovely ending they both deserve awards and the whole team I agree!

lizann
07-04-2017, 22:47
gutted for gaby missing out on a goodbye

katie hunter
08-04-2017, 07:41
What a wonderful storyline this has been :clap:

I am sad to see it finish because for me it was the only reason I continued to watch regularly. I think I might give 'The One Show' a go next week, I would rather watch that than see Cain and Harriet giving into passion - :sick:

emerald
08-04-2017, 10:47
A beautiful ending and I'm so glad Ashley recognised Laurel right at the end.

Perdita
08-04-2017, 11:22
gutted for gaby missing out on a goodbye

She had some time with him before though but thought at the time that Bernice should have left her there when all the others were reading from the memory book instead of taking her to the cafe

lizann
13-04-2017, 19:20
bye ashley a nice service doug speech gave me a few tears

mariba
14-04-2017, 10:32
I think the funeral was crap.

Perdita
07-09-2017, 13:51
John Middleton bowed out of Emmerdale after nearly 21 years this past summer, but that doesn't mean he has ruled out making a comeback.

The soap legend's character Ashley Thomas was killed off at the culmination of a long-running dementia storyline back in April, drawing huge praise from fans for his final scenes.

However, some fans may have forgotten that Emmerdale left John with a way to return someday, since Ashley has an oft-referenced brother called Luke Thomas.

(Emmerdale's John Middleton and Charlotte Bellamy at the British Soap Awards 2017)

Speaking with The Sun, John hinted that it could be the role of Luke that ultimately brings him back to the Dales at some point in the future.

"There's no hint of Ashley coming back as a ghost but Ashley does have a twin brother called Luke so that could happen," the actor teased.

Just don't expect to see Luke popping up anytime soon, since John Middleton will be spending the rest of the year busy at work on the stage.

"I'm looking forward to the next thing I'm doing – I'm going to be touring a play called Strangers on a Train," he has revealed.

"It's being produced by the Ambassador's theatre group, it's a number one tour and goes touring round the country to places like York, Manchester, Glasgow, Oxford, Birmingham.

"Jack Ashton's in it who's in Coronation Street – it's a really good cast."

In the meantime, Middleton has also made the longlist for the Inside Soap Awards this year — for Best Partnership with Charlotte Bellamy and Best Actor.

Digital Spy