PDA

View Full Version : David Jason slams Beeb

alan45
23-03-2010, 01:32
TV legend Sir David Jason has blasted the BBC - accusing the public-funded corporation of "empire-building" instead of making top shows.

The 70-year-old actor, Del Boy in BBC1 sitcom Only Fools And Horses, said the Beeb had misspent the licence fee billions it rakes in each year.

And Sir David - whose dodgy telly character was regularly seen sniping at "plonker" brother Rodney - insisted cash freed up by planned BBC spending cuts should go on drama and comedy rather than reality shows like Strictly Come Dancing.

Speaking at the launch of his Channel Five show The Show Must Go On, he backed Beeb plans unveiled this month to axe two radio stations and halve online output - contributing to an estimated saving of £600million.

Sir David said: "The BBC expanded too far, too fast, into areas it had no business in.

"I think there's a lot of dead wood there and it could do with pruning.

"They should be in the business of entertainment. Unfortunately they began empire-building which isn't what they're there for.

"They need to invest in comedy and drama and take on the Americans. It's a good thing it is being shaken up."

Sir David's Five show sees him help an amateur dramatics group stage a play in the West End.

He has also finished filming his final scenes of ITV1 hit A Touch Of Frost - including three different endings to keep fans guessing.

The star, who played the telly detective for 18 years, admitted he wept on set.

He said: "There were a lot of tears. I'll miss it."

Perdita
23-03-2010, 04:40
I will miss him in Frost, one of the best detective stories around, he is a brilliant actor. :(