PDA

View Full Version : Shadrach in semi-retirement from Emmerdale

Perdita
27-01-2010, 05:00
EMMERDALE crusty Shadrach Dingle is leaving the village after 12 years.

Actor Andy Devine, 67, is going into semi-retirement.

He may return to cause mayhem during big storylines.

A source said: "Andy loves the show but working on a soap is punishing and he needs time off.

"He'll dip in and out every couple of months but won't be a permanent fixture."

The Sun

crystalsea
27-01-2010, 14:17
ah shame, I didn't like his character when he first arrived, but then like most of the dingles they kinda grow on you don't they lol. Good luck to Andy.

Perdita
27-01-2010, 14:22
I love this character although I find his behaviour really disgusting at times :lol: I am glad that he is not going for good but is coming to be his usual nuisance once in a while. :cheer:

lizann
27-01-2010, 14:23
I hope Shadrach leaves with a rich woman to look after him

Perdita
20-06-2010, 13:30
Emmerdale actor Andy Devine, who plays Shadrach Dingle in the soap, is reportedly devastated after learning that his character is to be killed off.

The actor, 67, had asked to go into semi-retirement after struggling to cope with the filming schedule, according to the Daily Star Sunday.

It is claimed that he was initially told he would be allowed to film scenes when it suited him, and return for major storylines involving the Dingles. However, he was later told that his character would be killed off.

A friend of the actor said: "Andy thought he would be able to come back every now and then, so to find out that Shadrach will leave Emmerdale in a body bag was a big disappointment."

An Emmerdale spokeswoman added: "Shadrach will be leaving the village on his birthday but how he goes remains to be seen. However, it’s not one to be missed."

Devine has been in the ITV1 soap for 12 years.

Perdita
20-06-2010, 14:04
I love the character and will miss him, even if he is behaving disgustingly at times :crying:

alan45
20-06-2010, 14:13
according to the Daily Star Sunday.

Very sad if true

You already have a thread about Shadrac leaving Emmerdale here http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105460-Shadrach-in-semi-retirement-from-Emmerdale

tammyy2j
20-06-2010, 17:24
Emmerdale actor Andy Devine, who plays Shadrach Dingle in the soap, is reportedly devastated after learning that his character is to be killed off.

The actor, 67, had asked to go into semi-retirement after struggling to cope with the filming schedule, according to the Daily Star Sunday.

It is claimed that he was initially told he would be allowed to film scenes when it suited him, and return for major storylines involving the Dingles. However, he was later told that his character would be killed off.

A friend of the actor said: "Andy thought he would be able to come back every now and then, so to find out that Shadrach will leave Emmerdale in a body bag was a big disappointment."

An Emmerdale spokeswoman added: "Shadrach will be leaving the village on his birthday but how he goes remains to be seen. However, it’s not one to be missed."

Devine has been in the ITV1 soap for 12 years.

Chloe O'brien
20-06-2010, 23:27
It will be the booze that kills him. He'll get run over by a brewray lorry. :D

alan45
20-06-2010, 23:55
The story about Shadrac being killed off was in the Sunday Sport. A large pinch of salt is required

kayliee94
21-06-2010, 06:10
i read that marlon runs somebody over, i think it's shadrach

connyben
21-06-2010, 09:36
Very sad. Shadrach provides for some great comedy.
However this would be a realistic storyline. Drinking the way Shadders do, eventually, leads to death. If done right this storyline could be great.

lizann
22-06-2010, 17:06
Is he still living with Chas and Carl now?

Perdita
24-06-2010, 13:21
Sharon Marshall confirmed it today on This Morning, he will be run over :(

tammyy2j
24-06-2010, 13:50
Marlon and Rhona run him over but he survives and moves in with Marlon

Perdita
25-06-2010, 12:10
EMMERDALE actor Andy Devine is devastated after discovering his character is to be killed off.

The 67-year-old, who has played crusty drunk Shadrach Dingle for 12 years, asked to go into semi-retirement as he struggled to cope with the punishing filming schedule.

He was told he would be allowed to “dip in and out” of the Yorkshire-based soap and be brought back for big storylines involving the Dingles.

But in a cruel U-turn, they have decided to kill him off on Shadrach’s birthday. The exact circumstances of his death are being kept a secret. But a pal of the actor says he is gutted that the door has been shut.

He said: “Andy thought he would be able to come back every now and then, so to find out that Shadrach will leave Emmerdale in a body bag was a big disappointment.”

An Emmerdale spokeswoman said: “Shadrach will be leaving the village on his birthday but how he goes remains to be seen. However it’s not one to be missed.”

Daily Star

Dying on his birthday :(

alan45
25-06-2010, 17:28
This is practically the same post as post 5 AND post 8

Perdita
04-07-2010, 20:23
Awww, preparing for Shadrach's exit by telling him he has to stop drinking :(((

alan45
23-07-2010, 01:06
Shadrach Dingle's final Emmerdale episode airs tonight as actor Andy Devine's long stint in the role comes to a close.

News of Shadrach's departure first leaked in June, but there's never been any official word on exactly how he will leave the ITV1 soap.

Earlier this month, fans saw Shadrach receive a warning that drinking had left his body in a critical state and that continuing down the same path would kill him. Since then, Shadrach's nephew Marlon has made repeated attempts to convince him to ditch alcohol for good.

Show bosses are still keen to keep firm details of Shadrach's exit under wraps, but they've now released dramatic pictures showing the boozy grandfather looking seriously unwell as he takes a walk while clutching some cans.

Are these Shadrach's final moments in Emmerdale?

http://i2.cdnds.net/10/29/550w_soaps_emmerdale_shadrach_dies_1.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/10/29/550w_soaps_emmerdale_shadrach_dies_2.jpg

Speaking of his decision to leave the role of Shadrach, Devine explained: "It's been ten years and I've really enjoyed it. I love Shadrach, but I've always been a traveller and I'd like to be a jobbing actor again.

"I'm not ready to retire yet, but it'd be nice to have some time off. I am looking forward to late mornings and sailing in the afternoon."

walsh2509
24-07-2010, 20:20
Now for Cain , is hardman act is well past its sell by date and as for his "mrs" she adds little to the show..

Perdita
24-07-2010, 20:28
Could not agree more with you, walsh, did not like Cain much before, getting bored with the criminal life style, Charity used to use her body and mind to survive, no need for that now, all quite disappointing after looking forward so much for their return :(

alan45
31-07-2010, 18:06
Shadrachs Funeral

http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/14851/Emmerdale_Gallery_5-1_1280591982_large.jpg?1280592022

http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/14853/Emmerdale_Gallery_6-1_1280591982_large.jpg?1280592023

http://holysoapcdn.five.tv/assets/images/14855/Emmerdale_Gallery_7-1_1280591983_large.jpg?1280592025

alan45
12-08-2010, 17:03
Andy Devine has compared exiting Emmerdale to leaving prison.

The 68-year-old actor bowed out of the ITV soap last month as his character Shadrach Dingle passed away.

"I suppose it’s a bit like coming out of prison, it takes a couple of weeks for the bubble to burst, he told the Manchester Evening News. "Even if you kill your wife, you only get ten years' parole."

He continued: "I thought if I'm not careful I’m going to be like the others who die on the show. I haven't been silly with my money. I've been thrifty, I suppose I thought I'll put this away for old age, then I realised hang on, this is my old age!"

Devine admitted that although he was pleased with his exit storyline, he did not enjoy filming his death scene.

"I had to go in the river, it was minging of rat pee, and they wanted me to go under for ten seconds. But then they wanted to do it again, so they dried me off just to throw me back in again," he revealed.

"But I did like my ending, because it was underplayed. Usually they just blow you up or something."

He confessed that he was happy with the decision to kill off the character, telling the paper: "I'm glad I was killed off, because otherwise I might have one of those days where I’d call my agent saying 'get me back on it'. Now, it’s very much curtain down on that."

Devine will appear in panto alongside former Corrie star Tina O'Brien later this year.
So much for him being devastated at getting the boot

Perdita
30-05-2022, 16:33
https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/emmerdales-andy-devine-who-played-27102595

Andy Devine, who played the much-loved character, Shadrach Dingle on popular British soap, Emmerdale, has died aged 79.

Whilst the news has only just emerged, the veteran actor actually died on January 27, public records show.

There has been no official announcement of his death, or a cause of death.

ITV has yet to officially comment on Andy's death.

Tributes to the much-loved actor have poured in on social media.

One Twitter user wrote: ?Sad to read the news Andy Devine has died. Back in January it seems. Best known as #Emmerdale?s Shadrach Dingle, he played Betty?s wedding photographer in a 1995 episode of Coronation Street, returning in 2000 as a radio DJ.?

Another wrote: ?Just heard the sad news that Andy Devine who played Shadrach Dingle in #Emmerdale and Bernard in Queer as Folk passed away in January. Brilliant comic characters that he played so well.?

RIP

johntrevor
31-05-2022, 12:35
https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/emmerdales-andy-devine-who-played-27102595

Andy Devine, who played the much-loved character, Shadrach Dingle on popular British soap, Emmerdale, has died aged 79.

Whilst the news has only just emerged, the veteran actor actually died on January 27, public records show.

There has been no official announcement of his death, or a cause of death.

ITV has yet to officially comment on Andy's death.

Tributes to the much-loved actor have poured in on social media.

One Twitter user wrote: ?Sad to read the news Andy Devine has died. Back in January it seems. Best known as #Emmerdale?s Shadrach Dingle, he played Betty?s wedding photographer in a 1995 episode of Coronation Street, returning in 2000 as a radio DJ.?

Another wrote: ?Just heard the sad news that Andy Devine who played Shadrach Dingle in #Emmerdale and Bernard in Queer as Folk passed away in January. Brilliant comic characters that he played so well.?

RIP
He was a good character in Emmerdale....RIP

Ruffed_lemur
09-06-2022, 23:27
R I P Andy Devine

lizann
12-06-2022, 13:18
nice touch of the dingles remembering him on best family soap awards win

R.I.P. andy