PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Perdita
25-01-2010, 06:04
A DRAMA billed as telly's most sexually explicit series ever is heading to the UK.
Spartacus: Blood and Sand has caused outrage in the US with red-hot scenes which feature full-frontal nudity.

In the racy historical drama, renegade slave Spartacus is purchased by ruthless Batiatus - played by Scottish actor John Hannah - and his wife Lucretia (Lucy Lawless).

He is forced to fight as a gladiator. Lucy, who won millions of fans as Xena: Warrior Princess, promised her portrayal of sex-mad Lucretia will shock viewers.

The show, which also stars Viva Bianca is set for a UK screening this summer.

The Sun

:eek::eek:

tammyy2j
25-01-2010, 10:43
Its been renewed for a 2nd season already

Perdita
19-05-2010, 06:22
ACTOR John Hannah insists he wasn't worried by the nude and violent scenes in his controversial new TV series - but he did tone down the swearing.
The 48-year-old star, from East Kilbride, plays gladiator owner Lentulus Batiatus in Spartacus: Blood And Sand.

Critics in the States have already dubbed it the most explicit, violent series ever made.

Dad-of-twins John is seen having it off with numerous slave girls in the show, which is set in Rome in 73BC, but drew a line at cursing.

He said: "I censored it at times. I mean, you can kill and decapitate as many people as you like, and kebab as many slaves as you like, but language is a bit of a risk."

Despite that, the Scot describes his character in the show, which is screened on Bravo from next week, as a "devious, lying, cheating, ambitious mother*****r - it's great".

And John - who lives in London with actress wife Joanna Roth and their six-year-olds Astrid and Gabriel - joked how he got fed-up being surrounded by topless women.

He said: "There's only so long you can stare at breasts - in my case about 80 years."

Xena: Warrior Princess star Lucy Lawless plays his onscreen wife.

The couple regularly strip off and enjoy naked romps with each other - and even invite others to take part in orgies.

But he claims the sex scenes were NOT a turn-on for him.

John said: "There's nudity and sex, because it deals in a fully grown-up way with that debauched and immoral world.

"The funny thing is, you've got your choreography, because that's all it is - a dance.

"A bit of titillation. A wee bit of boob, a wee bit of bum.

"But I was the oldest guy there.

"I was the fattest, oldest, grumpiest, most grizzled, lined, miserable, with bad teeth because I'm Scottish.

"I'm in there with all these people who are babes - fit and gorgeous - and that's just the guys."

Although sounding like he's living the dream, Hannah claims showbiz isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

He said: "It has its downsides. You feel like you're being treated like a commodity. That was difficult."

The actor admitted he took "happy pills" to cope.

He added: "They stopped me from being depressed." However, he still battles with the lows. John revealed: "I get mood swings.

"I think we all do if we're in touch with it.

"Sometimes you just have to realise that you're feeling really down, ********y and grumpy, and you'll come out of it.

"I think with age, you realise it's part of the natural rhythms of life.

"I'm quite an up person, and people are always surprised by that side of me."

Now Spartacus has been so popular in America, John will shortly begin work on the second series.

That's despite the numerous scenes of sex, nudity and violence being slated in the States.

The LA Times said: "Bodies are stabbed, slashed, sledge-hammered and variously dismembered."

The Washington Post claimed it's "just about the grimiest, nastiest, bloodiest thing you could hope to find on TV".

Mediawatch-UK, the pressure group set up by Mary Whitehouse, has already expressed its deep concern.

But Hannah shrugged off the controversy surrounding the show.

He said: "For all the hypocrisy, and all the people saying, 'Oh, it's very violent' or 'Oh, it's very sexy', they're all sitting glued to it, aren't they?"

Spartacus: Blood And Sand begins next Tuesday at 10pm on Bravo.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2976682/John-Hannah-unconcerned-by-Spartacus-Blood-And-Sand-scenes.html#ixzz0oLkwNpsm

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 08:33
John Hannah naked - count me in. Not one to watch with the children then :lol:

Perdita
19-05-2010, 09:16
Yeah, just what I thought about John Hannah :wub: Definitely one to watch without the kids around :lol:

Dazzle
19-05-2010, 12:36
Although this sounds quite good fun, I don't think I can watch it because it's so gory. I've seen clips and it's not for the faint-hearted.

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 13:06
Oh great that's me torn, naked John Hannh verus gory sceens???? Nah - naked John Hannh stil wins!!

Perdita
19-05-2010, 14:14
You could record it and fast forward the gory bits and just concentrate on Mr Hannah :D

moonstorm
19-05-2010, 15:19
Perdy you are a genius - what a good idea, then I can re-run it over and over and, just in case I missed anything!!

Perdita
24-05-2010, 11:01
Lucy Lawless has admitted that filming her sex scenes on Spartacus was awkward.

The actress explained that her husband Rob Tapert, who executive produces the show, decided not to come on set when she was working on the scenes.

"Even though theoretically I don't have any issue with it, I like to think I am a modern young woman," Lawless told the Daily Record. "It is really uncomfortable. You have to make the unsexy look incredibly sexy."

Lawless also joked that she has already started exercising in preparation for the upcoming Spartacus prequel.

"I am working out," she said. "If they shoot the prequel, I'll have to look five years younger."

Spartacus: Blood And Sand premieres in the UK on May 25 at 10pm on Bravo.

tammyy2j
09-07-2010, 12:28
I loved the film Gladiator but this is very OTT

Perdita
04-08-2010, 15:36
The executive producer of Spartacus has claimed that the second season will be "different".

In an interview with TheTorchOnline, Steven DeKnight explained that the series will follow the problems with Spartacus's rebellion.

"The thing about season two is it's a bit of a different show," he said. "We start down the path of what most people know about Spartacus - how this rebellion came together.

"But what always interested me is not that everybody broke out and it was, 'Rah, rah! We're together! Let's band together and form an army!' It's very contentious. There are a lot of mistakes made. It takes quite a while before they build anything close to an army."

DeKnight explained that historically the rebellion was "not a merry band of people", adding: "What I take from that, and what I want to illustrate in the show, is that all this infighting comes from personal perspective and people's desires and passions - some people wanting to be purely free and others wanting revenge. It is all a big mess."

DeKnight also revealed that although Spartacus is a hero, he "doesn't always do the right thing".

"He can be reactionary, and he can let his passions drive him, which is something we want to explore," he continued. "We want to explore how to take this man from that to a true, true leader.

"Tempers certainly flare quite a bit [in season two]. Even among heroes there are betrayals, and people who think they are doing the best thing, and people who do the wrong things for the right reasons. It's a slippery slope. It's a learning curve for everyone involved in the story."

Filming for the second season of Spartacus is expected to begin later this year. A Spartacus prequel will air in January on Starz.

Perdita
10-08-2010, 01:09
OHN Hannah will reprise his Spartacus: Blood And Sand character in the swords-and-sandals show's prequel.

His character Batiatus died at the end of the first series, but he will play the same role for Gods Of The Arena, which airs on Bravo next year.

Four Weddings and a Funeral star John said: "It's a deep shame for me not being able to be back for more.

"But six episodes is great. It was a lot of fun."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3088368/John-Hannah-to-reprise-Spartacus-character-in-the-shows-prequel.html#ixzz0w9nmT9vD

Perdita
16-09-2010, 12:13
Spartacus: Blood and Sand creator Steven S. DeKnight has confirmed that the second season of the show will introduce a new villain to replace Batiatus.

The gladiator (played by John Hannah) was killed by Spartacus (Andy Whitfield) in the first season finale.

DeKnight told Entertainment Weekly: "There will be some new people on the villain side. But we're not far enough into [season two] to nail down any big casting news."

The showrunner added that he was considering the idea of a romance between Spartacus and Ilithyia (Viva Bianca).

"It's a tricky thing since she tried to kill him several times," DeKnight said. "[Also] he firmly connects her to Glaber, who he partially blames for the death of his wife."

He went on to say that the two characters would "have some interesting interactions" in upcoming episodes.

The second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand will begin filming later this year. Prequel miniseries Spartacus: Gods of the Arena is expected to air in January on Starz.

lizann
16-09-2010, 13:46
This show is awful

tammyy2j
20-09-2010, 11:27
Spartacus: Blood and Sand star Andy Whitfield will not be returning to the second season of the Starz series, the network announced today via press release. The actor, who was in remission after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in March, has been advised to resume “aggressive treatment” for the disease. “It’s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as Spartacus and all the wonderful people involved,” Whitfield said in the release. “It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you for the support so far.”

The series had delayed production in the spring while Whitfield underwent treatment; the actor had been training for the second season after he was declared cancer-free in June. At this point, the network has not made any decisions regarding the series’ future. “Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family,” Starz Media’s Managing Director Carmi Zlotnik said in the statement. “We will address our programming plans at some later date.” Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, a prequel to the series, will still air as scheduled in January 2011.

Perdita
21-09-2010, 18:21
The future of Spartacus: Blood and Sand has been thrown into doubt following star Andy Whitfield's decision to depart the series.

Whitfield was originally expected to return to the Starz drama after overcoming a battle with cancer. However, it was recently announced that the actor had reluctantly decided to leave the show when his illness returned.

Carmi Zlotnik, managing director of Starz Media, has now admitted in a press release that no decision has yet been made on the show's future.

"Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family," he said. "We will address our programming plans at some later date."

Production on the show's second season was expected to commence this month. Prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will air in January on Starz.

Perdita
09-11-2010, 06:09
StarzThree actors are in the running to be the next Spartacus on Starz's Spartacus: Blood and Sand, it has been reported.

The drama tells the story of the historical figure of Spartacus, a Thracian gladiator that led a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic.

Last month, it was announced that the show would recast the role of Spartacus after actor Andy Whitfield had to leave to undergo treatment for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Now, according to Deadline, the network has narrowed down the pool to three actors: Brit Aiden Turner (All My Children), Canadian Stephen Amell, (Closing the Ring) and Australian Liam McIntyre (The Pacific).

The next season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand is tentatively scheduled to start in September 2011. In the meantime, the Spartacus prequel, entitled Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, will debut in January 2011.

tammyy2j
10-01-2011, 12:35
Liam McIntyre is reportedly close to landing the lead role in the second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Former star Andy Whitfield was forced to depart the Starz drama in September to undergo treatment for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

TVLine now reports that The Pacific star McIntyre is considered to be the frontrunner to replace Whitfield, having undergone physical training to prepare for the role of Spartacus.

At the recent TCA press tour, Starz president Chris Albrecht told reporters: "We don't have casting news [yet] but are confident that we [will find an actor] who can ably step into Spartacus's sandals, although we will never be able to replace Andy Whitfield."

McIntyre was first rumoured to be under consideration for the part in November, alongside All My Children star Aiden Turner and Heartland actor Stephen Amell.

The next season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand is expected to air in late 2011. Prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will debut on Starz on January 21.

Perdita
12-09-2011, 05:10
Andy Whitfield has died at the age of 39.

The Welsh-Australian actor, who played the title role in the first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, passed away on Sunday in Sydney after suffering from non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Whitfield's wife Vashti called her husband a "beautiful young warrior" who died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife".

Whitfield was diagnosed with Stage 1 non-Hodgkin lymphoma in March 2010. He was declared cancer-free two months later.

However, he suffered a recurrence of the disease later in the year, and was ultimately forced to leave the Starz drama after one season to undergo treatment.

Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht said that the network is "deeply saddened" by the news.

"We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in Spartacus and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life," Albrecht said.

"Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans."

Whitfield was replaced on Spartacus: Blood and Sand by Liam McIntyre, who described his predecessor as "so amazing" and "so supportive".

tammyy2j
12-09-2011, 11:43
Andy Whitfield has died at the age of 39.

The Welsh-Australian actor, who played the title role in the first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, passed away on Sunday in Sydney after suffering from non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Whitfield's wife Vashti called her husband a "beautiful young warrior" who died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife".

Whitfield was diagnosed with Stage 1 non-Hodgkin lymphoma in March 2010. He was declared cancer-free two months later.

However, he suffered a recurrence of the disease later in the year, and was ultimately forced to leave the Starz drama after one season to undergo treatment.

Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht said that the network is "deeply saddened" by the news.

"We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in Spartacus and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life," Albrecht said.

"Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans."

Whitfield was replaced on Spartacus: Blood and Sand by Liam McIntyre, who described his predecessor as "so amazing" and "so supportive".

Rest In Peace

Chloe O'brien
12-09-2011, 11:47
What a shame such a young age. I thought he was going to beat it. Rest in Peace Andy.