View Full Version : Liam Bergin (Danny Mitchell, 'EastEnders')

Perdita
19-01-2010, 10:12
The concept that EastEnders' Archie Mitchell had a secret son hidden away had been mooted for nearly a year before producers announced the casting of Liam Bergin as Danny Mitchell on Boxing Day - only hours after the evil entrepreneur had been brutally murdered by an unidentified assailant. Next week, Danny makes his presence felt in Walford when he turns up to his father's wake in The Vic and interrupts an argument between his unassuming sisters, before dropping the bombshell that they're related. How does Danny's arrival sit with the Mitchell clan? Where has he been all these years? And what exactly does he want? We popped up to the home of EastEnders at Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, Herts to ask the man himself.

Archie's secret son has been rumoured about for nearly a year now. How did the part come about?
"It was all very quick for me. I'd met the powers that be at EastEnders about a year ago because I was actually offered the part of another character. I did three or four auditions, so I really became familiar with the team. When it came to Danny Mitchell, I had one audition and I received a call about an hour and a half later, which I wasn't expecting! I had the normal nerves connected with an audition but I was quite confident in the circumstances. When I walked out, I called my mum and said that I thought I was a bit over-excited. They gave nothing away and in my heart of hearts, I'd dreamed that I'd walk in and they'd offer it to me there and then. For an hour and half, I was quite down but then I received the call!"

How have you settled in?
"I've been here since November, but it feels like a lifetime ago! We're filming for March at the moment and with loads of snow on the ground, it looks a little strange! I had about a week and a half before I started filming, so I wasn't thrown straight in at the deep end. I think I felt as calm as you can be when you start at EastEnders, although I was shocked by the amount there was to read and names to learn."

Did you watch EastEnders before?
"I was a regular viewer when I was younger - in the '90s era when Phil and Grant were in charge and in full power. Along with Ricky and Bianca, the Mitchells were EastEnders to me and now I've become part of the family."

How was the character billed to you when you joined?
"For a start, I wasn't actually told he was a Mitchell! It wasn't until I was given the part that I found out. My agent and I felt that he was a Mitchell, but there was no official word - we were just working off the fact that I was doing scenes with Ronnie and Roxy. The clues were there. I wasn't even called Danny, either. I think his name was Teddy or Eddie. Definitely not Danny. It was a great moment when I finally found out his name and what family he was part of. I knew then that it'd involve The Vic and working with Barbara [Windsor]."

How does Danny arrive in Walford?
"It's the day of Archie's funeral and everyone's back at The Vic for the wake. Ronnie and Roxy are arguing and Danny scarily tries to interrupt their argument by saying 'excuse me, I'm looking for Roxanne or Ronnie Mitchell'. He knows who they are because he's been told that they're two attractive, blonde bombshells. Roxy says something like 'can you go away, we've just buried our dad' and then Danny says 'I think you've just buried mine, too…'"

Is that the first time you're seen?
"No, I'm actually on screen twice before that. You see him appear in Glenda's flat but you don't know who he is. I have two duff duffs before I actually speak then I get another duff duff when I say my first line!"

What was it like working with Glynis Barber?
"Absolutely brilliant. She really did help me a lot and gave me tons of tips about learning lines. We're not sure if she's coming back yet or not, but she's one of those characters that could easily return. Glenda's not welcomed in the way Danny is - everyone knew Glenda existed, whereas Danny was a complete surprise."

What's to come? Apparently there's an overarching mystery?
"Danny tells the rest of the Mitchells that he's not in contact with his mum but he actually is. Peggy finds out that he's stayed in contact and doesn't like it at all. Danny storms out after that because he sees that Peggy doesn't trust him in the slightest. He doesn't deserve to be trusted, though, because he has actually lied. He has his work cut out to gain everyone's trust but still wants to keep in contact with Glenda. That's the mystery to begin with - why is he staying in touch with Glenda? But there's more to it than that…"

Perdita
19-01-2010, 10:15
EastEnders' new boy on the Square Liam Bergin makes his screen debut as Danny Mitchell - the long lost secret son of Archie - during next week's episodes, much to the surprise of his sisters Ronnie and Roxy. His arrival throws the cat among the pigeons with the entire Mitchell family, before he briefly becomes involved Syed and Amira's story.

to read all about Liam's casting and arrival at EastEnders in the main slice of the interview or scroll on for more about his screen family, potential romances and his thoughts on the live 25th anniversary episode.

Have you had support from the rest of the cast since starting?
"The women have been protecting me and really looking after me and guys have become really good friends. Barbara [Windsor], Sam [Womack] and Rita [Simons] are always making sure I'm okay."

What's it like having Sam and Rita as sisters?
"It's mad! Rita's really full on! We were in make-up yesterday and they'd just finished with me, so I was allowed to leave but because they're so funny, I just stayed in there with them. Because they've known each other for so long, they really are like sisters. I already feel really welcome, but it'd be great if I fall into that in a few months' time."

What about potential romances? Does he has his eye on any of the ladies?
"Obviously I have a brief thing with Amira… but beyond that, there are only brief hints. I had a wonderful director called Lee Salisbury for my first full week and even when it wasn't in the script, he allowed hints of Danny's eye for the ladies - winks, smiles and glances at the women around the Square and in the pub."

What else have you learned about Danny?
"The other day, I learned that he actually has a motorbike career."

Are you looking forward to the live episode?
"I'm not actually in it! The story about the live episode actually hit the press the week I landed the part and I was really excited about the thought of it. But then I found out that I wasn't even involved with the story! That aside, the fact that the live episode's happening this year to tie in with the anniversary is fantastic."

You haven't been there that long, but will you be sad when Barbara leaves?
"Absolutely. She's an incredible lady. She doesn't direct the scenes but she always has that little something extra to make the scene better. She's always one step ahead - she sees the whole picture, not just her own. She thinks about the whole piece and cares so much about the show. With me in particular, there are some great two-hander scenes between us and she's always prepared to go through the lines before we film to make sure it's right. It really is nice that she cares. I don't know how she does it - she still loves it after all these years."

DS

lizann
19-01-2010, 10:52
the new hunk (not)

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?src=/hq-images/dannymitchelltemporary.jpg&w=150

Siobhan
19-01-2010, 17:19
the new hunk (not)

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?src=/hq-images/dannymitchelltemporary.jpg&w=150

OMG.. it is bad enough we are losing dr Al..

Dazzle
19-01-2010, 17:23
He's only young, bless him - he may grow into a hunk. Is he 19? I've gotta say he looks more like 15. As for Dr Al, I've never seen the attraction :searchme:

Chloe O'brien
19-01-2010, 23:37
He looks like Chesney Hawkes. :lol: Why hasn't he got blonde hair like his sisters and mum?

sean slater
19-01-2010, 23:52
Think its a bad pic of him. I think his personality will win out. And if it doesnt work out, we've still got Ryan!! yum!!

Perdita
20-01-2010, 07:26
He looks like Chesney Hawkes. :lol: Why hasn't he got blonde hair like his sisters and mum?

Because he does not feel the need to peroxide his hair :lol:

Siobhan
20-01-2010, 13:11
He's only young, bless him - he may grow into a hunk. Is he 19?

I don't know how old he is in real life but in EE he would have to be 21 as that is how old Danielle was and both Ronnie and Glenda pregnant at the same time

Perdita
20-01-2010, 13:45
He is 25 years old in real life according to Wiki

tammyy2j
20-01-2010, 14:03
He doesnt like hot imo

Dazzle
20-01-2010, 14:25
There's a picture of him in this week's Inside Soap in which he looks a lot better. Still not sure about hunky, though.

Perdita
20-01-2010, 14:50
I am sure he won't be short of admirers :)