PDA

View Full Version : Popstar To Operastar

tammyy2j
08-01-2010, 13:55
The lineup and judging panel for new ITV1 series Popstar To Operastar has been confirmed.

Hosted by Myleene Klass and Alan Titchmarsh, the show will feature ten famous popstars training to perform famous opera songs.

The celebrities taking part include Blur bassist Alex James, veteran singer Bernie Nolan, McFly's Danny Jones and Pop Idol star Darius Campbell. Jimmy Osmond, ex-Hear'Say singer and Coronation Street actress Kym Marsh, Shakespeare's Sister star Marcella Detroit and Vanessa White from girlband The Saturdays complete the lineup.

All the contestants will be coached by mentors Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon before performing live on Friday night, when one hopeful will be voted off each week.

Jenkins and Villazon will be joined on the judging panel by Meatloaf and Classic FM DJ Laurence Llewlyn-Bowen.

Britain's Got Talent stars Susan Boyle and Paul Potts, X Factor runner-up Rhydian and opera group Il Divo are rumoured to have been lined up as special guest performers.

LostVoodoo
08-01-2010, 15:51
the contestant line up sounds quite good, interesting mix of people. but Alan Titchmarsh presenting?!

lizann
08-01-2010, 23:01
when is it starting?

Katy
09-01-2010, 10:52
Think its Friday, but im not sure, thats what i remember from the advert.

Perdita
09-01-2010, 12:44
Friday, 15th Jan at 9pm on ITV1

CrazyLea
09-01-2010, 13:27
This sounds pretty good. Just a shame Myleene Klass is presenting. I can't stand that woman!!!!!

Abbie
13-01-2010, 20:21
I have to say that after seeing the adverts for this im looking forward to it :D

sindydoll
13-01-2010, 20:41
its a pitty myleene is presenting but im looking forward to the programme

Abbie
15-01-2010, 17:37
Aw shes not that bad

Perdita
15-01-2010, 22:32
Kym Marsh through, last ones on the votes to be saved was Alex, which was a tie with Vanessa. Public vote went for Vanessa.

sindydoll
15-01-2010, 23:52
it wasnt as good as i expected but still enjoyed it and will be tuning in next week! kim was fabulous

lizann
16-01-2010, 21:44
I'm watching now and its quiet enjoyable

Abbie
21-01-2010, 16:37
When does it repeat

lizann
31-01-2010, 00:19
I hope Marcella Detroit wins

Perdita
31-01-2010, 06:49
It is a close game, they can all sing opera very well, imo. I like Darius

LostVoodoo
31-01-2010, 10:43
yeah Marcella is my fave, she really seems a cut above everyone else and has great stage presence.

who went out this week?

Perdita
31-01-2010, 10:53
Mr Osmond got voted off

Abbie
08-02-2010, 19:49
Some of them are really good!

Perdita
19-02-2010, 15:39
The details of the Popstar To Operastar live final have been revealed.

Bernie Nolan and Darius Campbell will compete for the series title on tonight's show. Both acts will perform two tracks, their favourite solo routine from the series and a duet with a mentor.

Nolan will sing 'Les Filles de Cadix' and is pairing up with Katherine Jenkins for a version of West Side Story track 'Somewhere'.

Campbell will perform 'Non Piu Andrai' for the second time and also a duet of 'The Impossible Dream' with Rolando Villazon.

The Popstar To Operastar final airs tonight at 9pm on ITV1.

DS

Chloe O'brien
19-02-2010, 23:57
Darius won tonight's competition.

Perdita
20-02-2010, 06:44
Yes, he did, and it was the right decision, although Bernie Nolan is also suited to opera singing and I am sure we will hear more from her

Perdita
03-03-2010, 11:30
Coronation Street actress Kym Marsh has expressed disappointment over the news that Popstar To Operastar is unlikely to return.

Last month, it was reported that ITV bosses are expected to scrap the singing contest because they were disappointed by its performance in the ratings.

Marsh, best known for her role as Weatherfield's Michelle Connor, was one of eight celebrities who took part in the programme. She was voted off the series at the semi-final stage.

Writing in her New magazine column, she said: "I read that the show isn't going to be recommissioned. It's a real shame. I thought it was fantastic Friday night entertainment."

Marsh also said that she was "shocked" when Darius Campbell won the competition, explaining: "I thought he was really good, but I was convinced Bernie Nolan was going to win!

"I think, out of all the contestants, that Darius will benefit the most from being on the show. He has even said he'd like to pursue opera as a career."

Shame if they don't do another series, I thought this was one of the better shows in this genre

Perdita
14-04-2010, 20:51
Darius Campbell has landed his first ever major opera role, it has been announced.

The Pop Idol singer, who was crowned winner of Popstar to Operastar this year, will appear in the stage production of Carmen at London's O2 arena.

Campbell is to make a one-off appearance in the principal role of toreador Escamillo.

He told PA: "I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Popstar to Operastar and learning the discipline of opera was tough but hugely rewarding. This opportunity, however, takes it to the next level and I cannot wait to get started."

The opera will be staged from May 21 to May 23.

DS

tammyy2j
05-08-2010, 14:00
Popstar To Operastar is expected to return for a second series next year.

ITV's group finance manager Ian Griffiths revealed that the programme has landed a second run at ITV's Interim Results Meeting earlier this week.

The reality show, which was hosted by Alan Titchmarsh and Myleene Klass, was rumoured to have been dropped by the broadcaster following disappointing ratings.

However, it picked up 4.04 million viewers for the live final and performed better than similar shows in the Friday evening slot such as Marco's Kitchen Burnout and Michael Winner's Dining Stars.

No details on the hosts, judges or when a second series will air have been announced.

Abbie
06-08-2010, 23:03
another one?
I mean I thought it was an intersting idea, but would they find another set of popstars to do it

Perdita
10-08-2010, 13:50
Popstar To Opera Star logo
ITV
Popstar To Operastar will move to a different timeslot when it returns to ITV1 next year.

According to the Daily Star, the reality show will air on Sunday evenings following the success of Dancing on Ice and The X Factor.

"Popstar To Operastar may not have been a huge ratings winner but it didn’t do badly. There have been many false reports saying the show has been axed but it hasn’t," said a source.

ITV's group finance manager Ian Griffiths previously announced that the programme had been recommissioned alongside daytime show May The Best House Win.

Operastar attracted mediocre ratings on Fridays following ITV's plan to introduce more entertainment to the 9pm slot.

Perdita
10-08-2010, 13:51
Alan Titchmarsh may be axed from Popstar To Operastar, a report has claimed.

According to the Daily Star, the 61-year-old - who co-hosted the first series of the reality show with Myleene Klass - may not return for a planned second run in 2011 because of a reduced budget.

"It will have a new look and just one presenter as we thought having two was a bit of an overkill. We're confident that fans will like what we are planning," said a show source.

Klass is apparently the current frontrunner to keep the job because of her classical background. However, Titchmarsh's popularity with older viewers and current contract with the broadcaster means that no final decision has been made.

Some £700,000 will reportedly remain in the budget for eight singing celebrities, who will be trained in the art of opera. It is not known yet if the judges from the first run - Meat Loaf, Katherine Jenkins, Laurence Llewellyn Bowen and Rolando Villazón - will return next year.