PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham DJ loses job over 'boring' Queen's Speech

Perdita
31-12-2009, 19:38
A radio DJ has lost his job after stopping the Queen's Christmas message, telling listeners it was boring.

Birmingham-based BRMB presenter Tom Binns cut short the speech during his live show on Christmas Day, saying: "Two words: Bor-ing".

The show was broadcast on BRMB, Wyvern in Herefordshire and Worcestershire, Mercia, in Warwickshire, and Beacon Radio in the Black Country.

Mr Binns, who is also a stand-up comedian, said it had just been a joke.

The stations' owner Orion Media said a number of listeners had complained.

Mr Binns, who has previously been on BBC Radio 2 under the guise of spoof hospital DJ Ivan Brackenbury, said he had received a death threat following what he did.

'Knee-jerk reaction'

"They were just jokes," he said.

"We have got to allow some people to be upset without responding with a knee-jerk reaction. We've got to stop pandering to a small minority."

He added: "I knew beforehand I needed to take the speech off the air as I didn't know how long it was.
The Queen's Speech
Orion Media said some listeners had complained about Binns' comments

"I knew anyone who was interested in hearing what she said would be watching it on TV or listening to Radio 4.

"About 88% of the population had more interesting things to do on Christmas Day than listen to it."

David Lloyd, group programme and marketing director, said: "On Christmas Day, one of our presenters, Tom Binns, made some inappropriate comments surrounding the Queen's speech.

"We do not condone what he said in any way; whether said in jest or not. We are making contact with the small number of listeners who were offended by Tom's comments and have complained to us to convey our apologies, and have also apologised on air."

In October 2007, BRMB was criticised by media watchdog Ofcom for misleading listeners after a prize trip to "Athens" turned out to be a restaurant.

In 2006, Church leaders condemned a competition run by the radio station to find two strangers willing to marry live on air and in 2004 it paid compensation to a woman who suffered permanent scarring to her buttocks by sitting on dry ice to try to win a competition.

BBC News

Katy
31-12-2009, 19:40
WHat a radio station!

They privuded a whole media law sylabus by the sounds things

Meh
31-12-2009, 20:33
The sooner we become a republic the better

Tori
31-12-2009, 21:11
I hate BRMB, it's rubbish. It seems they're also a bit, well... what can I say about everything Perdita posted? :thumbsdow