PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

lizann
16-11-2009, 16:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ

Avatar is scheduled for release in December 2009 its from Titanic director James Cameron.

Plot

The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), is a former U.S. Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will enable him to walk. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush jungle-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms, some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race, who are considered primitive, yet are more physically capable than humans. Standing three meters tall

(approximately 10 feet), with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.
Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake will be able to walk again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora's beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri (Zoe Saldaña).
Over time, Jake integrates himself into the Na'vi clan, and begins to fall in love with Neytiri. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth and the Na’vi, forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of the Na'vi.

Leona Lewis has recorded the theme song for the soundtrack to James Cameron's upcoming movie Avatar.

'I See You' was produced by James Horner and Simon Franglen, the team behind Celine Dion's Titanic theme 'My Heart Will Go On'.

Jake Nava, who has directed music videos for Beyoncé and Shakira, is currently producing a companion video for the track.

Avatar: Music From The Motion Picture is released through Atlantic Records on December 15.

Avatar is in cinemas from December 18.

Trinity
19-12-2009, 18:43
I saw this in 3 D last night with my OH and sons.

It took a little while to get used to the 3D glasses, but the effects were very good, and the film itself was a good story. Very eco friendly! It didn't seem anywhere near as long as it was.

Sigourney Weaver looks amazing for her age - how does she do it?

Dazzle
19-12-2009, 20:05
Wow, the trailer is amazing. I really want to see this now! I don't often go to the cinema but I might make an exception for Avatar.

Abbie
29-12-2009, 20:24
Ive seen in in 2D and I really think this is an amazing film :D

people should go and see it

lizann
19-01-2010, 15:57
Avatar has become China's most successful movie after making nearly £47 million, but that hasn't stopped the country's government pulling the film from some of its cinemas over fears that it could cause political unrest.

The China Film Group, which is run by the state, believes the plot of human colonists attempting to demolish an alien village for its resources steers too close to a very sensitive issue in China at the moment.

Millions of Chinese people have been evicted from their homes to make room for high rises and government infrastructure projects, reports The LA Times. Avatar's success has also angered some Chinese officials, who fear the film's popularity takes too much market share from their domestic films.

2D showings of Avatar will now be pulled from Chinese cinemas, but film fans can still see 3D showings of the sci-fi epic. However, there are so few 3D cinema screens in China, it's essentially a theatrical ban for the Golden Globe-winning movie.

So, instead of Avatar, Chinese film fans can look forward to the Chow-Yun Fat biopic of the ancient philosopher Confucius in its place.

An Asian media consultancy, Wolf Group Asia, however, insists that the decision to choose Confucius in favour of Avatar was all to do with the Chinese New Year holiday, which begins in the middle of February.

A spokesperson added, "There are certain windows in the year that are held for domestic films. We're coming up on Chinese New Year, so this can be expected."

Abbie
21-01-2010, 15:48
I this film really is amazing and deserves all the success its gets

lizann
21-01-2010, 16:04
Its going to pass Titanic as the most successful movie ever

Abbie
21-01-2010, 16:26
Wow, itsnt it already No.1 in the world

tammyy2j
22-01-2010, 11:03
I prefer Titanic tbh i'm not a fan of this type of film

Perdita
25-01-2010, 14:06
will smash Titanic's all-time box office record tonight, says The Hollywood Reporter.

James Cameron's 3D science fiction blockbuster currently sits at $1.841 billion in worldwide ticket sales, close behind the final total for his last film Titanic's $1.843 billion haul. The movie is expected to cross Titanic's gross when tonight's tallies are calculated.

"Audiences still are going in record numbers around the world to experience this remarkable film," said Fox senior vp domestic distribution Chris Aronson.

Avatar's international cinema total recently reached $1.29 billion, topping the $1.24 billion earned by Titanic in 1997 and 1998. Its US domestic gross stands at $552.8 million against the $600.8 million earned by the Leonardo DiCaprio/Kate Winslet disaster movie.

DS

Meh
25-01-2010, 22:23
We watched this on the weekend in 3D. Brilliant and breathtaking movie. I'll probably watch it again on IMAX

tammyy2j
25-08-2010, 16:33
Avatar 3D is to be re-released in cinemas with extra footage soon

Perdita
21-09-2011, 09:06
Actress Sigourney Weaver says she will appear in the sequel to sci-fi film Avatar, despite her character dying in the first instalment.

"Don't worry, I will be back," she told US movie website Coming Soon.

Weaver played botanist Grace Augustine in the 3D epic, which took more than $2.7bn (£1.7bn) worldwide.

Her character was fatally wounded in a climactic battle, but the actress said director James Cameron had told her "no one ever dies in science fiction".

"He's told me the stories for the next two movies and I have to say that they're absolutely wonderful," she added.

"Now we just have to make them."

The original Avatar, which told the story of humans mining an alien planet for reserves of the improbably-named mineral Unobtanium, is the highest-grossing movie of all time.

Weaver previously worked with James Cameron on the hit movie Aliens Director Cameron promised to turn the story into a trilogy if box office receipts reached $1bn (£633m).

Work on the scripts has begun but, as yet, there is no filming schedule.

When shooting commences, Avatar 2 and 3 will be made back-to-back, with months of post-production to create the computer-generated alien world of Pandora.

Speaking on the red carpet at the 2010 Oscars, Cameron admitted: "If I were to start Avatar 2 tomorrow, it would still be three years away".

He later confirmed that the first possible release date for the sequel was Christmas 2014.

"The boss, Jim Cameron, he's not just going to make it for the sake of it," actor Sam Worthington told Radio 1 Newsbeat last year.

"He always wants the challenge, he always wants to push the envelope and raise the bar and I think audiences will demand that of Avatar 2.

"When he finds the challenge that's when we go back to work."

BBC News