PDA

View Full Version : Belle de Jour drops her anonymity

Luna
16-11-2009, 10:37
A former prostitute whose memoirs were turned into the TV series Secret Diary of a Call Girl, starring Billie Piper, has revealed her true identity.

Dr Brooke Magnanti wrote under the pen name Belle de Jour to describe the encounters she had as a high-class call girl while earning money for her PhD.

The 34-year-old said she decided to unmask herself because the stress of the deceit was making her paranoid.

Interest in her identity increased when her memoirs became a television series.

Dr Magnanti, who now lives in Bristol and is a research scientist for The Bristol Initiative for Research of Child Health, became a prostitute because she needed a job that left her enough time to complete her studies.

She kept her double life a secret even when she started the blog describing her experiences and the books which followed.

It feels so much better on this side. Not to have to tell lies, hide things from the people I care about

Belle de Jour blog
Dr Magnanti told the Sunday Times she worked as a prostitute from 2003 to late 2004, and found it "so much more enjoyable" than her shifts in another job as a computer programmer.

She told the newspaper "I don't want this massive secret over me any more," and that she feared an ex-boyfriend might reveal the true identity of Belle de Jour.

Sunday's entry on the blog said: "It feels so much better on this side. Not to have to tell lies, hide things from the people I care about. To be able to defend what my experience of sex work is like to all the sceptics and doubters.

"Anonymity had a purpose then - it will always have a reason to exist, for writers whose work is too damaging or too controversial to put their names on.

'Pride'

"But for me, it became important to acknowledge that aspect of my life and my personality to the world at large.

"I am a woman. I lived in London. I was a call girl.

"The people, the places, the actions and feelings are as true now as they were then, and I stand behind every word with pride."

A spokesman for her employer, the University of Bristol, said: "This aspect of Dr Magnanti's past is not relevant to her current role at the university."

The spokesman added that Dr Magnanti's revelations would not affect her chances of future employment with the university.

A statement on the website of Orion Books, which published Belle de Jour's novels, said: "It's a courageous decision for Belle de Jour to come forward with her true identity and we support her decision to do so.

"We have published her since 2005 and we are looking forward to continuing that relationship."

Trinity
20-11-2009, 13:48
Wow, that is brave.

If I was her I would have kept lying unless the NOTW was about to break with the story.

Chloe O'brien
20-11-2009, 23:45
I would have kept lying. I'm sure there are plenty of high powered men who visit prosituites would be sh1ting their pants worrying that they had been one of belle's clients. I would have kept quiet just to worry them.

Meh
22-11-2009, 10:06
Wow, that is brave.

If I was her I would have kept lying unless the NOTW was about to break with the story.

Some tabloid was about to break the story, so she went upmarket to a broadsheet and let them break the story.

I think what is riling some people is that a highly intelligent woman made the decision to become a prostitute without coercion. They can't paint the usual sordid picture.

parkerman
22-11-2009, 11:56
I'm sure there are plenty of high powered men who visit prosituites would be sh1ting their pants worrying that they had been one of belle's clients.

Phew! I'm safe...Doh! :wall:

Perdita
24-11-2009, 10:09
I am sure that at some time in the future, a tabloid will feature a story with a client or two. They don't tend to let sleeping dogs lie.

Perdita
18-12-2009, 07:03
BILLIE Piper is to meet the real-life prostitute who inspired her role in Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

Dr Brooke Magnanti ended years of speculation by outing herself as the real Belle de Jour last month.

Her blogs and books inspired the ITV2 drama starring Billie.

Billie - pictured shooting scenes for the show in London's Mayfair yesterday - told TV Biz: "I have always been fascinated by the real Belle de Jour and I read everything about Brooke when she decided to 'come out'.

"It will be so interesting to meet her. I think everyone's fascinated to a certain degree about prostitution."

The meeting will be filmed for a half-hour ITV2 programme, Billie and the Call Girl Bare All.

It will be screened before the new Secret Diary series.

Brooke said she hoped the programme would put a lid on the revelations about her.

She said: "This show will be the last word on what it was like to be Belle - how my sexuality was formed, how I came to the work, what it's like to be portrayed on TV."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2776971/Billie-Piper-is-to-meet-the-real-life-prostitute-who-inspired-Secret-Diary-of-a-Call-Girl-role.html