PDA

View Full Version : Telling police about family members

Perdita
03-11-2009, 14:03
A comment on here in a different thread got me thinking:

If you knew a family member had done something illegal, would you report him or her to the police? Would the type of crime committed be a factor in your decision?

tammyy2j
03-11-2009, 14:04
It would depend on the crime and the family member - i would like to think i would but :searchme:

Siobhan
03-11-2009, 14:06
anything involving children or rape I would report regardless of how close a family member they were. Also Murder... I don't think I could live with myself if I knew someone was responsible for deaths

Trinity
03-11-2009, 15:02
I am with Shiv on this one, I think.

alan45
03-11-2009, 15:31
It really depends on the circumstances and the crime involved. Definately for Murder, Rape or anything of a Sexual nature but as for some others I think it would depend.

I know my nephews wife said she was driving the car when her hubby was caught speeding just so he wouldnt get the points:eek:

Katy
03-11-2009, 17:20
i think it would depend on the crime, if it was major then i think i would, but minor i dont think so.

Chloe O'brien
03-11-2009, 22:06
I'm with it would depend on the crime comitted. If it was a speeding fine or shopliffting no I doubt I would report it. But if it was something like rape or murder then I would have to report it.

Abigail
03-11-2009, 23:14
It really depends on the circumstances and the crime involved. Definately for Murder, Rape or anything of a Sexual nature but as for some others I think it would depend.

I concur. Any serious offence I would have no hesitation in reporting. Burglary, theft etc. I would take on it's own merits. If I knew a toerag had burgled an elderly neighbour and caused considerable distress then I would report it but if it was someone in their 20/30s I would maybe think twice.

rubylilly
04-11-2009, 17:18
My Dad is committing benefit fraud, and I'd like to turn him in but I don't think they'd listen to me.

Abigail
04-11-2009, 18:51
My Dad is committing benefit fraud, and I'd like to turn him in but I don't think they'd listen to me.

Why do you think they wouldn't believe you?

The hotline is confidential and you don't have to leave your name, address or phone number.

rubylilly
04-11-2009, 19:39
I just don't think it would help. My mum has reported him three times, and nothing has happened. He's claiming unemployment, when we recieved a wrong address payslip and his name is on the concert tour players.:mad: And by the time they do anything, it will be too late as there will be another court case...:wall: