PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:13
Anyone else here suffer from a thyroid problem? Went to the Doctors a few weeks ago and said my thyroid will cease to function shortly. I thought "yeah, yeah", but having Googled the condition I can see that I am having some symptoms already.

Chloe O'brien
18-10-2009, 23:19
I don't by my mates mum have suffered from an underactive thyroid she has had trouble with her weight she used to hardly eat anything apart for sald yet her weight balloned.

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:24
My weight hasn't ballooned but its the other things like concentration, carpal tunnel syndrome, and bags under the eye that they can't diagnose. I should be wary as I'm doing self diagnosis from the internet which is always a dangerous thing.

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 23:34
What causes the thyroid to function in this way? Can it ever be corrected?

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:36
What causes the thyroid to function in this way? Can it ever be corrected?

According to the Doc, your immune system can turn on your thyroid but that's just one of the reasons. It can be corrected by taking a pill everyday.

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 23:39
How long have you had a problem with your thyroid? did your docs instantly know what was wrong or did you have to go through lots of testing?

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:41
Went to have a checkup after my mum died of a heart attack. Everything else was spot on except the thyroid.

Given the amount of abuse I've given my body with junk food I was surprised.

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 23:49
Sorry to hear about your mum :(

So do you take a daily pill at the moment?

Did you feel odd or strange before you were diagnosed?

Meh
19-10-2009, 00:06
Not started taking the pill yet. Yes, have had these symtoms for a while.

Hannelene
19-10-2009, 00:11
I feel for you, I hope that you make a speedy recovery soon!!

Abigail
19-10-2009, 01:43
My aunt has a thyroid problem, can never remember if its under active or over active. She takes thyroxine every day and leads a normal life now. She's lost a lot of weight that she put on.

I hope you get it sorted soon. At least you are aware that you have a potential problem and won't have to go through months of testing if you ever start showing symptoms.

Bad Wolf
19-10-2009, 09:21
i've had thyroid problems for the past 10 years- its slightly over active, its only really caused a big problem once- i was trying to so a masters and work and moved in with my boyf- all the stress sent it daft and i loat loads of weight- despite what i was eating and protein shakes etc- i dropped to a size 6 and i only got better when i moved home and took a step back to chill out,

my mum and gran also suffered, mum takes thyroxin every day

Meh
19-10-2009, 09:42
I think I have an under active thyroid. Is there no natural way of controlling it? I hate the idea of taking a pill everyday