PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Gately has died

Perdita
11-10-2009, 06:54
Boyzone star Stephen Gately has died while on holiday in Majorca, reports claim.

Gately, 33, died in his sleep yesterday following a night out on the island, according to the News of the World.

Bandmate Shane Lynch said that he, Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham and Keith Duffy will fly out to Majorca today following the news.

The group's manager Louis Walsh is quoted as saying: "We're all absolutely devastated. I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.

"I only heard after The X Factor and we will rally around each other this week. He was a great man."

Meanwhile, a friend of Keating told the newspaper that the singer is "completely distraught", saying: "No-one saw this coming. He loved Stephen like a brother, they were so close, it's absolutely floored him.

"It's a massive shock to everyone and no-one can take it in yet. He was a man in the prime of his life, and this is a huge tragedy."

Irish-born Gately, who announced that he was gay in 1999, leaves behind husband Andrew Cowles. The pair married in a civil ceremony in London in 2006.

Boyzone split in 2000 and Gately went on to have a Top 10 solo album and three Top 20 singles before being dropped by his record label. He also played the lead in the West End production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and later appeared on ITV's Dancing On Ice.

The boyband reformed in 2007 and released two singles and 'best of' album Back Again... No Matter What last year. They have recorded a new album for release in spring 2010.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a181497/boyzone-star-gately-dies-aged-33.html

Sparklet
11-10-2009, 08:00
How sad. :( RIP Stephen and condolences to his friends and family.

Hannelene
11-10-2009, 10:03
I just read this on the DM site and I was so so shocked he was so young :(

Wonderful voice and when I think of him I think of him singing that wonderful song 'No Matter What'

RIP Stephen a real sad lost :(

*-Rooney-*
11-10-2009, 10:21
thats so sad, RIP stephen

Katy
11-10-2009, 12:23
Im in Shock! I cant believe it, i loved Boyzone, and he was brilliant. I love the song he sings in Billy Elliot, is it I Believe

JENTARRANT
11-10-2009, 14:04
This is so sad and sudden ! RIP Stephen Gately ! xx

no1abbafan
11-10-2009, 14:48
Still can't believe it - I love Boyzone, saw them in concert when they came back last year and again this year - a brill night out - he will be dearly missed

Ruffed_lemur
11-10-2009, 15:20
Very sad news. RIP Stephen. :(

Abbie
11-10-2009, 17:06
I read it on the guardain website and was soo shocked RIP

tammyy2j
11-10-2009, 18:44
RIP Stephen :(

Meh
11-10-2009, 18:51
Do they know what he died off yet? So sad, 33 is nothing

megan999
11-10-2009, 19:19
RIP Stephen Gately. I used to like Boyzone. I was so shocked when I heard the news this morning. :(

Cheesytoots
11-10-2009, 19:54
Rest in peace Stephen, you will be greatly missed. 33 is far too young to die. He was at his healthiest, and he was happily married with a great career. He had so much to live for and it is an absolute tragedy. His memory will live on for many years and he will never be forgotten. My thoughts are with his family and friends, especially his poor husband.

Chris_2k11
11-10-2009, 20:29
Very shocking and sad news, RIP Stephen :(

lizann
11-10-2009, 21:31
RIP

any cause of death yet?

Perdita
12-10-2009, 06:08
According to today's The Sun, Stephen and his partner went on an 8-hour drinking session, downing powerful cocktails and white wine. Stephen allegedly choked on his own vomit in his sleep. Because today is a Public Holiday in Spain, the post mortem will not take place until tomorrow so everybody will have to wait until the exact cause of death has been established. :(

sindydoll
12-10-2009, 08:55
its just been a freak accident! his time had come! shame

Siobhan
12-10-2009, 09:44
RIP Stephen.. I met him once and use to drink with his brother in my local many years ago

tammyy2j
12-10-2009, 11:52
Tragic Boyzone star Stephen Gately had been on a marathon drinking session in the hours before his death in Majorca, according to reports.

The family of the 33-year-old Irish pop singer and actor insisted it was a "tragic accident" and that no foul play was involved.

Police said there were "no signs of suspicious circumstances" after Gately was found dead at his home in the resort of Port Andratx, Majorca, on Saturday afternoon.

Reports claim he spent up to eight hours drinking on Friday night and choked to death on his vomit while asleep after a night's clubbing.

Last night fellow band members - Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch - arrived in Majorca and spent an hour at Gately's home.

They were hoping for answers over the tragic death of their "friend and brother".

Gerald Kean, who was asked by Gately's family to speak on their behalf, said: "There's no foul play involved and it's not suicide.

"It's just a tragic accident is what we've been told and we're happy that that is correct information.

"There is nothing untoward, it's not drugs, we don't believe, it's not suicide, it's not murder, it's not a fight. That's what we've been told."

As tributes poured in from the music world, a spokesman for police in Port Andratx added: "At the moment it is not known how he died. There are no signs of suspicious circumstances."

A post mortem is expected to take place in Spain this week.

It was reported that police want to speak to a 25-year-old Bulgarian man who was said to have met Gately and his partner Andrew Cowles at a bar.

He is said to have returned with them to their Port Andratx home before the singer's death.

Boyzone said they were left "completely devastated" by the loss.

"We have shared such wonderful times together over the years and were all looking forward to sharing many more," they said.

"Stephen was a beautiful person in both body and spirit. He lit up our lives and those of the many friends he had all over the world.

"Our love and sympathy go out to Andrew and Stephen's family. We love you and will miss you forever 'Steo'."

The band's manager Louis Walsh pulled out of the X Factor live show, saying he was "very shocked and exceptionally upset".

Outside Gately's sea-view villa, mourners left flowers and paid tribute to the star.

British ex-pat Kate Whillock, 22, who lives nearby, said she had met Gately twice and described him as a "down to earth, genuinely lovely guy".

Ms Whillock, who works in real estate and moved to Port Andratx four years ago, said: "When he's here he seems to have a pretty chilled out time.

"He's usually just relaxing in a cafe. I've never seen him out partying on the social scene at all."

Gately was often spotted relaxing in the upmarket Cappuccino cafe and was recently seen dining with singer Chesney Hawkes in the pricey Portobello restaurant, she added.

Mark Kirsch, 49, a travel agent from Bushey, in Hertfordshire, who has a holiday apartment in a block near Gately's, said he was upset and shocked by the news.

"I met Stephen a couple of times," he said.

"He was a private guy who kept himself to himself. He definitely wasn't living a wild rock 'n' roll lifestyle here. There were no wild parties, nothing like that at all."

Gately seemed in good health recently, he added.

One note left with flowers read: "For Stephen, God bless you, rest in peace. Although we didn't know you personally, we admired and like you as a person, not just your talent. Sue and Dave. PS. Deepest sympathy to you Andrew."

Gately last posted a message on his Twitter page on October 6, writing: "Still busy - lots going on. Focussing on finishing my book next so may be quiet here."

sindydoll
12-10-2009, 14:48
The family of Stephen Gately have denied claims that the Boyzone star passed away after an eight-hour drinking session in Majorca.
Their lawyer Gerald Kean said that tabloid reports that the singer died (http://www.soapboards.co.uk/showbiz/news/a181516/showbiz/news/a181497/boyzone-star-gately-dies-aged-33.html) because of a lengthy drinking marathon were untrue, PA reports.
Kean said: "An eight-hour drinking session is something we do not accept - wherever that is coming from, our information would suggest that is simply wrong.
"We are not saying he was not drinking but eight hours is not something we accept. He was a very sensible man. He enjoyed himself, he loved life."
Kean has said (http://www.soapboards.co.uk/showbiz/a181568/gatelys-death-was-tragic-accident.html) that Gately's death was a "tragic accident" and that foul play and suicide were not factors in his passing. from ds

ive been thinking about this and we shouldnt be reading into anything at the mo or even posting any of the rubbish articles because its just not fair! we should wait until the pm results at the end of this it could be natural causes! but anyway the pm will be today because he died friday

tammyy2j
12-10-2009, 15:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUxTCwSWLQ

sindydoll
12-10-2009, 16:27
just been reading yet another article :rolleyes: and it was saying that it is bank holiday over in majorca so nothing is going to be resolved today

Siobhan
12-10-2009, 16:28
YouTube - Boyzone then and now on the Late Late Show. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUxTCwSWLQ)

how bad did they all look.. especially Ronan :rotfl:...

Perdita
12-10-2009, 20:14
The Bulgarian man who discovered the body of popstar Stephen Gately has reportedly broken his silence on the incident.

Georgi Petrov Dochev is believed to have discovered the Boyzone singer lying on a sofa at his Majorcan apartment on Saturday afternoon.

It has been reported that Dochev had spent the night at the flat which Gately shared with his partner Andy Cowles.

"I found Stephen dead and I woke his husband. He was white and cold when I found him," he is quoted as telling The Daily Telegraph.

Dochev, 25, went on to say that he had "barely slept" since the tragedy and confirmed that he had spoken to police.

However, he declined to reveal any further details in order to avoid upsetting Cowles, adding: "You will have to ask the husband what has happened. I don't want to say anything more. I am still nervous and really upset."

Gately's family recently denied tabloid reports that the star had embarked on an eight-hour drinking binge before his death.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a181711/friend-breaks-silence-on-gately-death.html

sindydoll
13-10-2009, 07:23
just been reading another article and a pm is due to take place today in spain

Perdita
13-10-2009, 08:03
The findings of the post mortem can take some time, so the results may not be published for quite a while.

tammyy2j
13-10-2009, 11:25
SINGER Stephen Gately's husband was the person who found his body early on Saturday afternoon, the tragic Boyzone star's family insisted last night.

Bulgarian Georgi Dochev -- a friend of Stephen's (33) and his partner, Andrew Cowles (32) -- claimed yesterday he found Stephen dead in the Dubliner's apartment in Majorca. The three men had been drinking together in Palma in the hours before Stephen died.

After giving police a statement, Mr Dochev (25) said: "I found Stephen dead and I woke his husband. Stephen was white and very cold."

But Mr Gately's solicitor and family friend, Gerald Kean, last night insisted Mr Cowles was the one who found his husband's body.

The remaining members of Boyzone, led by Ronan Keating, will bring the body of their friend on its final journey back to Dublin in the coming days.

Although the four band members arrived back in the capital last night, it emerged they were expected to return to Majorca to bring Mr Gately's body back to his family.

The band is now to link up with manager Louis Walsh, who is staying at his apartment in Dublin city centre.

The death continued to spark a media frenzy yesterday, with Mr Kean refuting some of the more lurid speculation about Stephen's death.

Drinking

He dismissed reports that Stephen had been on an eight-hour drinking session the night before and that police were looking for Mr Dochev in connection with the death.

"He stayed overnight, he was there when the police arrived and they are not looking for him," Mr Kean said. "We are not satisfied that it was an eight-hour drinking binge. We don't understand where that's coming from at all.

"The reason for that is a close family member spoke to Stephen at half eleven Irish time, which would be half twelve Spanish time. He was in very good form and was getting ready to go out with Andrew to Palma, which is about an hour away.

"Now, if it was half twelve that this person was speaking to Stephen at, he was only getting ready to go, so one would assume that it was two o'clock in the morning by the time he reached Palma and he was home by six o'clock Spanish time.

"That would mean we are talking about a three-hour trip to Palma and Stephen was in good form."

Mr Kean added he had been speaking to Mr Cowles last night, who told him that Mr Dochev stayed in the spare room of the apartment, and not in the couple's bedroom.

"You will have to ask the husband what has happened," said Mr Dochev, who is from Sofia.

"It has been very traumatic. I don't want to say anything more. I am still nervous and really upset. I almost have not slept since this happened."

Mr Dochev, who lives in a modest flat on the outskirts of Palma, said he had now given police a full account of events leading up to Stephen's death. He said that Mr Cowles had also spoken fully to detectives.

Post-mortem

The Gately family are expected to find out the exact cause of the 33-year-old's death today. He is believed to have choked after getting sick in his sleep.

The Spanish central government's top representative in the Balearic Islands said yesterday that the exact cause of death should be established quickly following the post-mortem examination. Ramon Socias, in the first official comment since the tragic accident, said Stephen did not die as a result of violence.

The Gately family are not expected to travel to Majorca and will stay in their home near Sheriff Street in Dublin's north inner city to arrange his funeral. Mr Kean continued to liaise with the family, and visited mother Margaret and dad Martin at the family home yesterday.

He said that not much progress would be made until after the post-mortem examination was carried out.

Meanwhile, MCD confirmed yesterday that a new play starring band member Keith Duffy has been pulled from the Olympia due to Stephen's tragic death.

The play, 'The First Time', was due to open tonight.

Anyone who bought tickets to the show is asked to contact their local ticket office or the Olympia Theatre venue.

lizann
13-10-2009, 12:50
Irish radio is stating he died from natural causes

moonstorm
13-10-2009, 13:04
Boyzone Star Gately Died Of Natural Causes

A post-mortem into the death of Boyzone star Stephen Gately has found the singer died of natural causes.
A court official on the island of Majorca said the singer suffered a pulmonary oedema, an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.

This would appear to confirm speculation that Mr Gately, who died after a night on the town on the island, choked on his vomit.

At a brief court hearing in the island's capital Palma, a judge ruled that Gately's family could now fly the body home.

The 33-year-old was found dead on Saturday.

He was discovered on the sofa in his apartment in Port Andratx after a night out partying with his partner Andrew Cowles.

lizann
13-10-2009, 13:47
Boyzone star Stephen Gately died of natural causes, a court official on the island of Majorca said.

The official said a post mortem had established that the singer suffered a pulmonary oedema, an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.

This would appear to confirm speculation that Mr Gately, who died after a night on the town on the island, choked on his vomit.

At a brief court hearing in the island's capital Palma, a judge said that Mr Gately's body could be taken home.

The 33-year-old was found dead on Saturday. He was discovered on the sofa in his apartment in Port Andratx after a night out partying with his partner Andrew Cowles.

sindydoll
13-10-2009, 15:17
its a terrable thing to happen to someone young! a lad who was 19 who lived near me died of natural causes not so long ago it just dosnt feel right!

lizann
13-10-2009, 16:45
Boyzone star Stephen Gately died of natural causes, a court official on the island of Majorca said today.

The official said a post mortem had established that the singer suffered a pulmonary oedema, an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.

At a brief court hearing in the island’s capital Palma, a judge said that Mr Gately’s body could be taken home.

The 33-year-old was found dead on Saturday. He was discovered on the sofa in his apartment in Port Andratx after a night out partying with his partner Andrew Cowles.

A sample of pulmonary fluid taken during the post-mortem will be sent to a forensic laboratory in Barcelona for further tests to confirm the result, the court official said.

The official added that the investigation into the death will continue as a formality with Mr Cowles and one other person declared as official witnesses.

The second witness is thought to be Bulgarian Georgi Dochev, 25, who went back to the apartment with Mr Gately and Mr Cowles after their night out and has described finding the singer’s lifeless body the next day.

Lawyer Gerald Kean, a spokesman for Mr Gately’s family in Ireland, said papers have been signed to allow the release of his body.

But he said it may be two days before it is returned to Ireland.

“The family’s only wish is to get their son and brother home as soon as possible,” Mr Kean said.

The lawyer said a number of formalities remained to be completed before Mr Gately is repatriated.

The court official said the pulmonary oedema had been "acute".

She added: “If all these steps (witness statements and tests) confirm the natural causes the case will be closed.”

She could not say whether Mr Gately had been taking any drugs or alcohol but either way, they were not the cause of death.

She declined to say whether Mr Gately had vomited before his death.

Mr Cowles, who was told of the post mortem results before the hearing, was ushered out of court looking upset.

He was dressed casually in jeans and a blue open-neck shirt for the half-hour hearing.

Local police have already said there were “no signs of suspicious circumstances”.

And Mr Kean said earlier today that Mr Gately’s family were “absolutely happy that there is no foul play”.

The family are certain no drugs were involved in his death and they do not suspect suicide, he added.

“Their sole purpose and function at the moment is to try and get their son and brother home as quickly as possible,” he said.

Mr Dochev, 25, described how the singer’s lifeless body was “very cold and white”.

He told reporters he found Mr Gately’s body on Saturday and alerted his partner, Mr Cowles.

Mr Gately’s devastated Boyzone bandmates, who flew to the Spanish island on Sunday, returned home last night.

A spokesman said: “They went there to pay their respects and start dealing with the fall-out of the situation.

“However, it’s clear that them being there at the moment is bringing a lot more attention to the situation.”

The band comforted Mr Cowles before they left.

Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch met him at the Mon Port Hotel in the resort of Port Andratx, where they were staying.

Mr Kean said Mr Gately had been in the apartment with Mr Cowles until after midnight on Friday, when he travelled to Palma, about an hour’s drive away.

A close family member spoke to the singer at 12.30am Spanish time on Saturday (11.30pm Irish time) as he was getting ready to leave, the lawyer said.

It is understood Mr Gately spent several hours socialising and was back in the apartment before 6am Spanish time.

I think he is being buried in Dublin

lizann
13-10-2009, 16:45
Louis Walsh has paid a glowing tribute to his friend and Boyzone star Stephen Gately, remembering him as one-off great professional.

The 'X Factor' judge said he was still in shock over the sudden death last weekend while the bandmates were devastated at the loss of their best friend.

"We're all in shock. Nobody can believe it - the guys, me, nobody. We are in shock," he said.

Walsh, who put Boyzone together in the mid-1990s, was with Gately and the rest of the band last week in London to discuss the final 10 tracks for the comeback album.

He said he had never seen the 33-year-old West End star in better health or better form.

"The boys are devastated. It's like they have lost their very, very best friend, and me too," Walsh said.

And he paid tribute to Gately's upbringing in a tough district of inner city Dublin.

"His best friend was his sister Michelle - I don't know how she is coping," Walsh said.

"The boys are like his family now. The four boys where like four daddies for him.

"He came from Sheriff Street. He was a very working class kid. All he wanted to do was sing and go to the West End and he loved Disney, that was Stephen.

"Of all the people I've worked with I don't think anybody thanked me as much as Stephen. He used to always say to me 'if I wasn't in Boyzone I don't know where I'd be today, thank-you'."

"A great, great, great professional kid."

Walsh recalled how Gately phoned him almost every Saturday night when the band first made it big more than a decade ago, worried newspapers would out him for being gay.

"He lived in fear. He lived in absolute fear of the media and the media outed him in the end but then it was a fantastic reaction. There was no negativity," Walsh told RTE.

"He loved to go out and party and a have a good time but he was very, very good living. He was a one off."

Walsh and the remaining Boyzone bandmates have been in close contact over the last few days. They are expected to gather together for the funeral in Ireland in several days.

The 'X Factor' judge, who cancelled his appearance on the TV show final last Sunday, remembered how Gately took the break-up of Boyzone in 2000 and that he was the key to getting the band back together.

"All Stephen lived for was to be singing music," Walsh said.

"He was down because the band was his life and they where his best friends and it was finished but he picked himself up and got on to the West End.

"I think he was the glue in the band because he kept everybody happy."

sindydoll
13-10-2009, 17:28
i saw on the news this morning that his body could be flying home this afternoon for a funeral in dublin on friday

Abigail
13-10-2009, 20:11
Pulmonary oedema wouldn't have been caused by choking. Its caused by lung or tissue damage.

In any case, if he had choked to death there would have been evidence of vomit or foreign bodies in his throat.

I think some journalists need to do their research properly before writing misleading articles.

sindydoll
13-10-2009, 21:12
they said on the news today that he had fluid on the lung

Chloe O'brien
13-10-2009, 22:44
RIP Stephen such a tragic waste of a young life.

Perdita
15-10-2009, 06:33
Stephen Gately is to be laid to rest this Saturday in his hometown of Dublin, it's been announced.

Family spokesman Gerald Kean said the funeral was due to take place at noon at St Laurence O'Toole's Church, Dublin.

At present, the body of the former Boyzone star is being held in Majorca where he died at the weekend as authorities carry out more tests.

His family are hoping that Stephen will be returned to them on Friday so they can hold a private wake at his family home.

His devastated husband Andrew Cowles visited his partner's body in the mortuary in Calvia, near Port Andratx, last night.

Meanwhile, Stephen's close friend, Boyzone manager and X Factor judge Louis Walsh has confirmed he will attend the funeral at the weekend, meaning he will miss this Saturday's live final show.

He paid a glowing tribute to the star and remembered him as a "great, great professional".

From Daily Mirror

Perdita
15-10-2009, 10:52
Stephen Gately reportedly consumed cannabis on the night he died.

However, a representative for the court probing the Boyzone singer's death in Majorca insisted that neither the class B drug nor alcohol were factors in his death.

"An autopsy revealed Stephen had taken cannabis, and his partner and another man present on the night he died confirmed this in interviews," The Sun reports a police insider as claiming.

A post-mortem carried out earlier this week found that Gately died from natural causes after suffering a pulmonary oedema, which is a build-up of fluid on the lungs.

His former bandmates are flying to the Spanish Island to bring the 33-year-old's body home ahead of a funeral service on Saturday in Dublin.

Gately's friend and mentor Louis Walsh, who discovered the singer during Boyzone's formation in 1993, has declined to speak at the service for fear that he will break down.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a182096/gately-consumed-cannabis-on-day-he-died.html

Perdita
15-10-2009, 10:54
The four surviving members of Boyzone will reportedly carry Stephen Gately's coffin at his funeral on Saturday.

Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch, Keith Duffy and Mikey Graham, as well as two of Gately's family members, are expected to bring his body to the service at St Laurence O'Toole's Church on Sheriff Street in Dublin.

The singer's husband Andrew Cowles, parents Martin and Margaret and siblings Michelle, Tony, Alan and Mark and will be joined by manager Louis Walsh and other celebrity friends for the funeral, which starts at midday.

"Stephen's husband Andrew and his family have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from the public," lawyer Gerald Kean told Sky News.

"This is an extremely difficult time for the family but they are lifted by the fact everyone who ever met Stephen Gately had positive, happy memories.

"He was a unique, beautiful young man."

Thousands of fans are expected to line the streets on Saturday and residents of the the Sheriff Street district have reportedly been cleaning up the area ahead of the ceremony.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a182109/boyzone-stars-to-carry-gately-coffin.html

Siobhan
15-10-2009, 11:02
If anyone knows Dublin really well, you will know this part of Dublin, Sheriff Street, is not the greatest place to grow up... lots of crime and violence so Stephen was a huge inspiration to the people from there as it showed them that you don't have to turn to crime, there will be very very sad scenes in Dublin tomorrow. RIP Stephen

Perdita
15-10-2009, 11:28
Will you be going because you live in Dublin, IIRC, Siobhan

Siobhan
15-10-2009, 11:42
Will you be going because you live in Dublin, IIRC, Siobhan

Probably not Perdy.. I have met some of Stephen's family as we all use to drink in the same pub (was living about 5 mins from their house) but I feel that the funeral should be a private matter. I wasn't a boyzone fan and I am not a celebrity hunter. I will go to his grave at some stage to say my own personal goodbye but I won't be part of the media frenzy that will hit Dublin tomorrow.

Perdita
15-10-2009, 17:51
Boyzone will reportedly break with Irish tradition and hold an overnight vigil for Stephen Gately the night before his funeral.

Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch, Keith Duffy and Mikey Graham are eager to remain beside Gately's coffin because he "didn't like to be alone", according to The Mirror.

"It proves how close they were. Those lads would do anything for Stephen and they know he would not want to be there on his own," said a source.

The band, who will accompany the singer's body back from Majorca tomorrow, will also carry his coffin at his funeral in Dublin on Saturday.

Thousands of fans are expected to pay their respects to the 33-year-old, who tragically died last weekend while holidaying with his husband Andrew Coyles in Majorca.

The Gately family will hold a private Mass tomorrow night and a further memorial service is due to take place in London at a later date.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a182182/boyzone-to-hold-vigil-for-gately.html

What a lovely and thoughtful gesture. Thank you, Ronan, Shane, Keith and Mikey :clap:

Katy
15-10-2009, 18:33
It will be a sad day in Dublin, i know the area well my cousins have drank with his family, but they are like you siobhan and arent going to the funeral but will probably visit the grave at some point.

RIP Stephen, Its so sad, i still cant believe it,

tammyy2j
16-10-2009, 10:38
Stephen Gately's bandmates are preparing for his funeral.

Today the remaining members of Boyzone, Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch, Mikey Graham and Keith Duffy return to Majorca where he died, to bring back his body.

The singers will then escort the casket to Dublin.

It is thought the four stars and members of Stephen's family will stay with his body overnight at the Laurence O'Toole church.

Louis Walsh will attend the funeral service at noon tomorrow. It has been confirmed that the X Factor judge will miss both episodes of the TV talent show this weekend. It is predicted that thousands will also line the streets to pay their respects.

According to reports Boyzone will sing during the mass, which will be followed by a cremation at Dublin's Glasnevin crematorium.

A post mortem found that 33-year-old Stephen died of natural causes following a night out. He had fluid on the lungs.

Was he Catholic?

I'm curious

Siobhan
16-10-2009, 10:48

Today the remaining members of Boyzone, Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch, Mikey Graham and Keith Duffy return to Majorca where he died, to bring back his body.

It is thought the four stars and members of Stephen's family will stay with his body overnight at the Laurence O'Toole church.

Louis Walsh will attend the funeral service at noon tomorrow. It has been confirmed that the X Factor judge will miss both episodes of the TV talent show this weekend. It is predicted that thousands will also line the streets to pay their respects.

According to reports Boyzone will sing during the mass, which will be followed by a cremation at Dublin's Glasnevin crematorium.

A post mortem found that 33-year-old Stephen died of natural causes following a night out. He had fluid on the lungs.Was he Catholic?

I'm curious

Yes he was Catholic...

sindydoll
16-10-2009, 12:10
the funeral is be shown live on sky news from 10am tomorrow

sindydoll
16-10-2009, 12:11

A post mortem found that 33-year-old Stephen died of natural causes following a night out. He had fluid on the lungs.Was he Catholic?

I'm curious

Yes he was Catholic...
island is a very catholic place isnt it?

Siobhan
16-10-2009, 12:46
The republic is 90% catholic, northern Ireland is about 10% catholic...

no1abbafan
16-10-2009, 16:45
I still can't believe this everytime I see or read about it. I love Boyzone, always have. Coming originally from Ireland myself, I can understand the traditions etc.. regarding funerals and I think it is a lovely gesture from his band mates to stay with the coffin. However, I am sick and tired of reading alledged details of how he died and the life he lived. That guy that was with them on the tragic night is now selling his story and intends attending the funeral - all I can say is he better watch out, Stephen was much loved and respected regardless of his sexuality - Sleep in Peace Stephen

Katy
16-10-2009, 19:22
Exactly, unfortunatley in the media world we live in, i dont think it will, its a time for his famiy and friends to celebrate his life and grieve, Its going to be a very sad day.

Perdita
16-10-2009, 19:23
The four surviving members of Boyzone have had tattoos to mark the death of bandmate Stephen Gately.

Ronan Keating, who read out a statement before flying back to Dublin with the singer's body, was photographed with the numbers '76 09' inked on his bicep, marking Gately's year of birth and death.

Meanwhile, Shane Lynch was seen with the same numbers on his hand beneath an 'S' in the shape of the Superman logo.

"The tattoos were done as a mark of respect for Stephen," a source told Metro.

The group will reportedly hold an overnight vigil with Gately tonight ahead of his funeral at St Laurence O'Toole's church in Dublin tomorrow.

Earlier today, the group paid tribute to their "brother" Gately, who died while holidaying with husband Andrew Cowles in Majorca last weekend.

From Digital Spy

Meh
16-10-2009, 22:52
Looks like the daily mail it at it again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

sindydoll
17-10-2009, 00:25
if im not doing anything i will stick it on the box tomorrow..morbid thing that i am:lol:

Chloe O'brien
17-10-2009, 00:32
If I lived in Dublin I would stand in the streets to pay my respects not as part of the media circus that I hope this doesn't turn into. Stephen was a young talented man who never hurt anyone it's so sad for his family and the guys of Boyzone. May Stephen rest in peace.

sindydoll
17-10-2009, 11:03
they were saying on the news that the lads sat in the church with a bag of chips and a bottle of wine!! .....sweet

sindydoll
17-10-2009, 12:34
they were saying on the news that the lads sat in the church with a bag of chips and a bottle of wine!!
saw westlife arriving looking good :wub:

tammyy2j
17-10-2009, 12:56
Funeral on Sky News

Boyzone sang "In This Life" it was very sad :(

sindydoll
17-10-2009, 14:14
Funeral on Sky News

Boyzone sang "In This Life" it was very sad :(
keating breaking down was well sad :) he said that bz were going to carry on for stephens sake but it wont be the same without him and that he made bz colourful and now they just black and white, i dont think they will last, i think they came has a team and thats it!
wl sang in this life its a very touching and moving song

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 09:37
So so sad by his death and I can't believe Jan Moirs article about it all :(

sindydoll
18-10-2009, 11:01
So so sad by his death and I can't believe Jan Moirs article about it all :(
i havnt read that can you get the link for me please :)

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 11:13
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

Pinkbanana
18-10-2009, 12:03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

To be honest I agree with some of what she wrote.... if he was my brother, I'd be pretty upset that he died/lay dead whilst his partner was in another room having sex with someone else... sooo I do think it all sounds a little sordid to be honest.... regardless of his sexuality.

tammyy2j
18-10-2009, 13:53
Keith: " Stephen loved Mickey .... Mouse" :lol:

no1abbafan
18-10-2009, 19:43
To be honest I agree with some of what she wrote.... if he was my brother, I'd be pretty upset that he died/lay dead whilst his partner was in another room having sex with someone else... sooo I do think it all sounds a little sordid to be honest.... regardless of his sexuality.

Nobody knows exactly what happened except those that were there on the night in question - it is so wrong to speculate, a person has died here and Jan Muir writes an article full of speculation, even questioning the official findings of the coroner - she should be ashamed.

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 19:45
It is all speculation no one will ever know what happened that night unless his husband and the man they brought home sells their stories.

Pinkbanana
18-10-2009, 19:53

Nobody knows exactly what happened except those that were there on the night in question - it is so wrong to speculate, a person has died here and Jan Muir writes an article full of speculation, even questioning the official findings of the coroner - she should be ashamed.

The bloke who was with them that night, has come out and said what happened... thats what Jan Muir was referring too, She would have to be careful what she wrote incase Stephen's hubby sued her....etc...Why people are being soooo precious over it is beyond me... she is just stating what a sad death it was... which I have to agree.

Perdita
18-10-2009, 20:09
I will not take any notice of some newspaper article unless I was there at the time of the incident that was being written about. I take it that Jan Muir was just airing her opinion, no more aware of the true facts than Stephen's partner and the their guest who went with them to their home, whatever happened, Stephen will never come back :(

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 20:44
True Stephen will never come back :(

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:05
The bloke who was with them that night, has come out and said what happened... thats what Jan Muir was referring too, She would have to be careful what she wrote incase Stephen's hubby sued her....etc...Why people are being soooo precious over it is beyond me... she is just stating what a sad death it was... which I have to agree.

Ah, that's what I didn't get reading the article. Maybe my mind isn't as dirty as a welsh railway track :lol:

That's no different from heterosexual swingers though.

StarsOfCCTV
18-10-2009, 23:25
Charlie Brooker sums her article up quite nicely I think.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/oct/16/stephen-gately-jan-moir

Siobhan
19-10-2009, 09:52
I thought the funeral was very moving... really sad.. RIP Stephen

Perdita
19-10-2009, 10:04
It really was. I was able to watch it on tv just for a short time because I got so upset.

sindydoll
19-10-2009, 12:11
I thought the funeral was very moving... really sad.. RIP Stephenwas it near where you live

Siobhan
19-10-2009, 12:12
I thought the funeral was very moving... really sad.. RIP Stephenwas it near where you live

Not far.. it is about 30 mins in a car away... I didn't go as I explained to Perdy, I am not a celeb hunter and will say goodbye to Stephen in my own way... I watched it on TV and was very moved by it, especially the speech from the rest of the guys

lizann
19-10-2009, 12:14
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/555006/stephen-gately.html

This is the dramatic moment Louis Walsh flinched as he was hugged by Stephen Gately's husband yesterday - revealing the secret tensions behind the star's funeral.

The Boyzone mentor and X Factor judge pulls back, clenches his fists in frustration and makes no effort to share the embrace with an emotional Andy Cowles.

Stephen's family also gave Cowles the cold shoulder, avoiding him at the service.

He was not embraced by Stephen's parents Martin and Margaret, who shared warm hugs with the Boyzone singers.

And it was telling the Boyzone stars and family members wore splashes of Stephen's favourite colour red in a tribute but Cowles did not. Stephen's brothers and sister also kept their distance from Cowles. A source revealed that, tragically, Stephen had spent recent years in a feud with his family over Cowles - who they did not think was right for their beloved son.

Louis, who described Stephen as his very best friend, never forgave internet entrepreneur Cowles for his attack on the Boyzone star outside London's famous Ivy restaurant six years ago.

Gately himself dismissed it as a tiff. But the pictures tell a different story, with a menacing-looking Cowles gripping his new partner in a headlock.

Louis pointedly did not attend either their 2003 commitment ceremony in Las Vegas or their London civil partnership ceremony in 2006 because of his opinion of Cowles. A source revealed: "Louis had his concerns about Andy, especially after their big bust-up outside The Ivy. He missed their civil union, which surprised a lot of people.

"Louis is very fair-minded but he always wanted what was best for Stephen. He was protective of him."

The tension between Cowles and Stephen's family was also blamed on the pavement bust-up.

The pair had been dining with pals and started bickering. When they decided to take it outside, Stephen got caught in a headlock by Cowles. Stephen later played down the incident afterwards and Cowles said: "We've never hit each other before. It was just a tipsy bitch-slap situation."

But photographer Greg Brennan, who stepped in to break up the fight, has a different recollection.

He told the News of the World: "This was no lovers' tiff. It was far more serious. Andrew gave Stephen a pounding.

"Andrew was punching and kicking him. I had to do something. He was kicking him in the head. I managed to drag Andrew off and Stephen ran back to the restaurant to clean himself up.

"There was some blood and he was crying his eyes out.

"A policeman saw what had happened and Stephen just passed it off as a tiff but it was pure domestic violence in my eyes. I have seen a lot of celebrities getting into fights in my time but this was one of the worst. Poor Stephen took a load of shots to the head with both fists and feet. It was bang out of order."

Last night a pal of the singer revealed the extent of the family feud.

"It's unbelievably tragic. Stephen had no contact with Margaret or Martin up until a year ago.

"He wasn't friendly with them at all because of his marriage to Andy, who they just couldn't accept. They didn't go to either of their civil unions in Las Vegas or London.

"They were worried about Stephen and his marriage and his future. The closeness they once had was fundamentally damaged.

"They tried to patch things up over the last year but things were never the same. Andy is a constant reminder of that for them."

The friend added: "Margaret is completely haunted by their final years. She loved Stephen more than anything and wishes it hadn't been that way now."

Before his death Stephen admitted the rift, saying: "It was crazy because you need your family and I isolated myself to a degree."

check out the pictures :eek:

Bulgarian Georgi Dochev is trying to steal his story to the highest bidder :thumbsdow

Siobhan
19-10-2009, 12:19
I wished they would all just leave him alone and let him rest in peace. There is an old wives tale over here and it goes

"happy in the bride the sun shines on, happy is the corpse the rain rains on"..

We had one of our best days in Ireland on Saturday for a long time, warm sunshine.. Stephen did not die happy if this is to be believed

Perdita
19-10-2009, 12:28
STEPHEN Gately’s family have pledged to stand by his husband Andrew Cowles and vow there will be “no fight” over the Boyzone star’s £10 million will.

The singer’s devastated mother Margaret said she is going to love Andrew and be there for him.

She and Andrew dressed Stephen’s body in his favourite black suit and white shirt before the star-studded funeral and wake. She added: “He’s one of the family – Stephen loved him with all his heart and he made my son happy.

“I asked Stephen when they got together if it was love and he said it was more than anything he’d ever found. He was besotted.”

There had been speculation about how the boyband legend’s estimated £10 million fortune would be split.

Stephen, 33, and Andrew, 32, married in 2006, giving him legal rights to the performer’s London home and Majorca apartment.

However, a family source said there would be no fight over the will.

Margaret gave a touching tribute to her son after his funeral on Saturday in Dublin attended by thousands. “He was a wonderful son,” she said.

“Today was a testament to Stephen. He made an impression on the world and he won’t be forgotten.” She revealed she fully supported her son when he came out as gay in 1999.

“It wasn’t a big deal,” she said. “I knew he was gay. People need to move with the times.”

Heart-broken Andrew came face-to-face with Stephen’s first love Eloy De Jong at the funeral.

The Dutch singer, 36, dated the pop star for more than three years before they split in 2002. Eloy said he had asked permission to come to the funeral.

X Factor judge Louis Walsh, 57, denied reports that he and Andrew had “secret tensions” stemming from an allegation he broke up a fight between the couple. Louis insisted: “I don’t know where this story came from.”

Soon-to-be released toxicology reports will show Stephen had traces of cannabis in his system so slight that could have been smoked ‘days before’ the singer travelled to Majorca on holiday.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/104246/Mum-We-ll-stand-by-Stephen-s-husband/

Siobhan
19-10-2009, 14:15

Ah, that's what I didn't get reading the article. Maybe my mind isn't as dirty as a welsh railway track :lol:

That's no different from heterosexual swingers though.

From reading what was written and reading what is been said over here.. the guy "they brought home" was not a stranger, he was a friend of theirs. There was cannibis found in his blood but it was a few days old, yet this is not mentioned

What I got from this was that hubby and "stranger" (ha!) was doing the business while Stephen was getting out of his face on drugs... Lets pretend "strange" was female, lets pretend Stephen was female, would Jan be going on about how "marriage" is wrong??
This is what she is suggesting about civil partnerships!! :angry:

Abigail
19-10-2009, 14:20
She writes for the Daily Mail. I wouldn't expect that rag to print a nice obituary about anyone.

Siobhan
19-10-2009, 15:22
Well it seems people are not impressed with article

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Stephen-Gately-Daily-Mail-Article-By-Jan-Moir-Becomes-Most-Complained-About-Story-In-PCC-History/Article/200910315408942?lpos=UK_News_Top_Stories_Header_1&lid=ARTICLE_15408942_Stephen_Gately%3A_Daily_Mail_ Article_By_Jan_Moir_Becomes_Most-Complained_About_Story_In_PCC_History

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 10:56
It is not impressive :(

People should just leave this alone and let the family grieve in peace instead of speculating about what did or didn't happen.

Being a celebrity I think is not fun, all these people poking their noses into your life and even in death you don't get any peace just more rumours and conspiracy theories.

Katy
20-10-2009, 11:01
I know its not good is it.

I learnt in media law lkast week that under laws of defamation the claim dies with the person, so even more shockingly she can write that and Stephens family cant really do anything about it.

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 11:11
I never knew that so there is a possiblity that more articles will surface?

That is so not right :( So more journalist like her will cash in on something so tragic

Perdita
23-10-2009, 10:26
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a183296/jan-moir-writes-new-gately-article.html

Jan Moir has made a public apology for any offence caused by her recent article on the death of Stephen Gately.

The Daily Mail columnist sparked accusations of homophobia last week by suggesting that Gately's passing "strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships". She also insisted that his death was "not, by any yardstick, a natural one".

In a new piece published in the newspaper today, Moir announced: "Obviously, a great deal of offence has been taken and I regret any affront caused. This was never my intention.

"To be the focus of such depth of feeling has been an interesting experience, but I do not complain. After all, I am not - unlike those close to Stephen Gately - mourning for the loss of a much-loved partner, son, family member and close friend. To them, I would like to say sorry if I have caused distress by the insensitive timing of the column, published so close to the funeral."

The journalist added that she would have written "exactly the same article" about a heterosexual singer and complained that many of her remarks were misinterpreted last week.

She added: "This brings me back to the bile, the fury, the inflammatory hate mail and the repeated posting of my home address on the internet. To say it was a hysterical overreaction would be putting it mildly, though clearly much of it was an orchestrated campaign by pressure groups and those with agendas of their own.

"However, I accept that many people - on Twitter and elsewhere - were merely expressing their own personal and heartfelt opinions or grievances. This said, I can't help wondering - is there a compulsion today to see bigotry and social intolerance where none exists by people who are determined to be outraged? Or was it a failure of communication on my part?"

Moir's original article led to a record number of complaints to the Press Complaints Commission.

Her new article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1222246/The-truth-views-tragic-death-Stephen-Gately.html

Hannelene
23-10-2009, 22:41
Read the article on the way to work today and didn't think much of it. Yes there were some valuable points but I feel she would of never of written a follow up article like this one if so many people hadn't objected

Perdita
24-10-2009, 07:16
She also did not convince me that people misinterpreted what she meant, and I also think she would not have written the second one if people had not kicked off about the first one.

lizann
29-10-2009, 16:05
The husband of Stephen Gately has reportedly been struggling to find the late Boyzone star's will.

According to The Mirror, Andrew Cowles had been told that the document was in the hands of a London-based company of solicitors, but is currently unaware of which one.

A source said: "It really is panic stations. They can't locate Stephen's will anywhere.

"The problem is, [Cowles] has no idea which firm holds the will, and nobody from the firm has got in touch with him to say they have it. Everything is up in the air now."

It is thought that Gately's will was originally expected to be read out to his family today. The document is said to detail the singer's wishes for his reported £7.5 million fortune.

Abigail
29-10-2009, 17:40
I seriously find it hard to believe that Stephen's will is lost somewhere in London. Surely as his life partner, Stephen and Andrew would have discussed wills and what they wanted to happen to their affairs and where the wills are kept.

How can his husband not know which solicitor Stephen used? I know my parents and grandparents solicitors.

Hannelene
31-10-2009, 09:46
Why is it when famous people die it is never simple or there is always rumours and specultion surrounding their will or death? I can't believe that Stephen's husband would not know what had happened to his will they both seemed clued up and would want the other partner to be provided for. So if the will can't be found will everything then go to Stephen's family?

Abigail
31-10-2009, 16:58
There are certain rules that apply if you die intestate (without a will). As it is well known by the family that Stephen did have a valid will, I'm sure everything will be sorted out easily once it is located.

Surely the law firm that are holding the will or dealt with the drawing up of it would have got in touch with someone by now. There's a fair bit of money to be had.

Also, the executor of the will should have some idea where it is.

Perdita
02-11-2009, 10:41
Boyzone star Stephen Gately may not have made a will before his death, it has been claimed today.

Last week, it was reported that Gately's husband Andrew Cowles had been struggling to locate a document detailing his last wishes. Sources suggested that he believed it was in the hands of a London-based company of solicitors, but did not know which one.

According to the Belfast Telegraph, the singer's loved ones have now decided that there is a "strong possibility" he did not settle his affairs at all.

An insider said: "When you consider how high-profile the funeral was, covered by 24-hour rolling news channels, watched by millions across Ireland and the UK, one would think that if a law firm did hold the will and had read reports that Stephen's family are desperately searching for it, they would have come forward by now.

"Realistically someone would have picked up the phone and contacted the family."

The source added: "If there is no will, which is looking more and more likely as the days go by, then it makes everything very complicated legally."

Gately is said to have earned millions from record sales, tours and business investments since finding fame with Boyzone in the '90s.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a184760/gately-may-not-have-made-a-will.html

Abigail
02-11-2009, 10:44
I highly doubt that he died intestate with the assets he has. He'd be a fool not to have made a will.

Perdita
02-11-2009, 10:48
I would like to think that a solicitor would have advised him to make a will, however, there are plenty of young people about who have never entertained that idea, although they own property. A lot of people only think about putting their affairs into order when they near retirement age.

sindydoll
02-11-2009, 13:12
I seriously find it hard to believe that Stephen's will is lost somewhere in London. Surely as his life partner, Stephen and Andrew would have discussed wills and what they wanted to happen to their affairs and where the wills are kept.

How can his husband not know which solicitor Stephen used? I know my parents and grandparents solicitors.maybe it was never discussed because he never expected death at 33

Abigail
02-11-2009, 13:15
Maybe it's just me, but if I had as much money and property as he had at my age, I would have made a will.

sindydoll
02-11-2009, 13:32
Maybe it's just me, but if I had as much money and property as he had at my age, I would have made a will.
well i would too but maybe he didnt want his boyfriend to have it, i dont know and im not bothered

Perdita
04-11-2009, 09:35
Boyzone singer Ronan Keating has claimed that the boyband may never tour again following the death of Stephen Gately last month.

The star, who recently confirmed that the group would release a Gately tribute album, admitted that he is struggling to come to terms with his bandmate's passing.

"We've his vocals for several tracks, thank God. But as for going on the road, we may tour, we may not. I keep remembering things and get emotional," he told The Sun.

Keating insisted that the group have no plans to split and claimed that they "find comfort" in being together.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a185128/boyzone-may-never-tour-again.html

Perdita
29-11-2009, 13:14
A tribute concert to Stephen Gately will reportedly take place in London later today.

More than 1,000 friends and family members are expected to attend the Palace Theatre event, planned by the late Boyzone star's partner Andrew Cowles.

Christopher Biggins will host the private memorial, which will include readings, songs and tributes from celebrities such as Sir Ian McKellen, Beverley Knight, Liz McClarnon, Lee Ryan, Chesney Hawkes, Cherie Blair, Paul O'Grady, Matt Lucas, Graham Norton and Alan Carr.

A musical tribute from the remaining members of Boyzone - Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham, Keith Duffy and Shane Lynch - is also planned.

The Irish star, 33, died of natural causes on October 10 at his holiday home on the island of Majorca.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a189036/stars-expected-at-gately-tribute-concert.html

Perdita
18-12-2009, 07:14
Stephen Gately's civil partner Andrew Cowles has formally complained to the Press Complaints Commission over a Daily Mail article about the singer's death.

According to BBC News, Cowles claims that Jan Moir's column, published in October, breached guidelines on accuracy, intrusion into grief or shock, and discrimination.

Despite Moir later expressing regret over her piece, in which she labelled the Irish star's passing "strange, lonely and troubling", the article prompted a widespread public backlash. A PCC investigation will also consider the 25,000 complaints that followed its publication.

"We're now investigating this complaint which we are taking forward formally and we'll consider it together with the 25,000 complaints as soon as possible," PCC director Stephen Abell said.

Abell added that a full investigation is being launched now because "a connected party" has made a complaint.

The Daily Mail is yet to comment.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a191903/stephen-gately-partner-complains-to-pcc.html

Perdita
18-12-2009, 08:40
Boyzone are reportedly planning to start a foundation in memory of their late bandmate Stephen Gately.

Following Gately's unexpected death in October, the group have apparently been considering a fitting tribute to the singer.

Contactmusic quotes frontman Ronan Keating as saying: "Me and the boys are trying to put something together at the moment. It will more than likely be called the Stephen Gately Foundation.

"We're just working on that at the moment - maybe a scholarship to put children through music college. We definitely want to do something to continue his legacy and carry on his memory as best we can."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a191909/boyzone-planning-gately-foundation.html

What a wonderful idea :clap:

Abigail
23-12-2009, 11:34
Stephen Gately died from an undiagnosed heart condition, a forensic report has revealed.

Scientists at The National Toxicology Institute in Barcelona concluded that the Boyzone star suffered a heart problem caused by atheromatosis, a thickening of arteries, and ruled out drink or drugs as a factor in his death.

The 33-year-old passed away while holidaying with husband Andrew Cowles in Majorca on October 10.

According to a report obtained by The Sun, Gately was dead for eight hours before his body was found and Cowles had slept next to him for three hours.

"There are no indications of a violent death," the report states.

The star's relatives previously revealed that the family had a history of heart problems.

In October, a preliminary pathology report said that Gately died from a build-up of fluid on the lungs and his passing was due to "natural causes".

Meanwhile, Gately's partner Andrew Cowles has formally complained to the Press Complaints Commission over Jan Moir's article about the singer's death in the Daily Mail, claiming that it breached guidelines on accuracy, intrusion into grief or shock, and discrimination.

Perdita
28-12-2009, 18:57
A celebrity tribute to Stephen Gately is being planned by ITV with a reported budget of £400,000.

]Boyzone will select the stars who will appear on the televised special for their late bandmate and determine what songs they sing, according to The Sun.

A source said: "Everyone is keen for it to be exactly as Stephen would have wanted, so Ronan [Keating] and the rest of the band are having a major input.

"They'll be deciding which celebs are invited to make up the crowd and who'll be singing what. Nothing can ever bring Stephen back but everyone hopes the programme will show what an incredible person he was."

Gately died from heart failure in October at the age of 33 while on holiday in Majorca.

Perdita
30-09-2010, 07:20
Keith Duffy has revealed that Stephen Gately's ashes will be scattered next month.

The family of the late Boyzone singer, who died at his home in Majorca last year from an undiagnosed heart condition, want to honour him on the first anniversary of his death.

Duffy, who will be the only member of the boyband in attendance at the ceremony, told The Sun that it will be held at a secret location in Ireland on October 10 in "one of his favourite places".

Bandmates Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch will be in Australia at the time of the service.

tammyy2j
30-09-2010, 11:01
Keith Duffy has revealed that Stephen Gately's ashes will be scattered next month.

The family of the late Boyzone singer, who died at his home in Majorca last year from an undiagnosed heart condition, want to honour him on the first anniversary of his death.

Duffy, who will be the only member of the boyband in attendance at the ceremony, told The Sun that it will be held at a secret location in Ireland on October 10 in "one of his favourite places".

Bandmates Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch will be in Australia at the time of the service.

You'd think the other 3 members would return for this