Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbours 30th Anniversary

Neighbours bosses have released a new promo which promises "big" storylines ahead over the next few weeks.

The latest trailer features the first appearance of Sheila Canning's daughter Naomi and the return of Terence Donovan as Doug Willis.

Mark Brennan also appears in the trailer as he proposes to Kate Ramsay in the build-up to her departure from the show.

Hit play below to see the new promo:

As previously announced, actress Morgana O'Reilly has been cast in the role of Naomi, who has a strained relationship with Sheila.

Naomi's initial episodes will focus on whether she can reconcile with her mum, but she also has other dramas ahead as she sets her sights on one of the married men on the Street.

Donovan's reappearance as Doug was officially announced earlier today. His return will air on April 9 in Australia and April 23 in the UK.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz2vwM9hFPA
    Last edited by Perdita; 14-03-2014 at 12:41.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (01-04-2014)

Neighbours bosses have confirmed further details about Doug Willis's return to Ramsay Street.

Terence Donovan recently reprised his role for a guest stint and will be seen back on screen in April.

Terence Donovan as Doug Willis in Neighbours
    © Fremantle Media
    Terence Donovan as Doug Willis in Neighbours

Though the news was revealed earlier this month, plot details surrounding Doug's return have now been unveiled.

Builder Doug comes to stay with his son Brad and grandson Josh, who is excited that his granddad will be able to show him the ropes of the building trade and teach him a practical skill, after he gave up swimming due to his abseiling accident.

But later on, when Josh and Doug are working together, Lou passes on a job order and, rather than admitting he can't remember it, Doug makes a potentially expensive mistake.

Later, Doug blames Lou for the mix-up. As more and more mistakes mount up, Josh's worries only grow. However, Brad continues to tell him that it's nothing more than an older man being forgetful.

Donovan, who reprised the role briefly in 2005 to celebrate the show's 20th anniversary, said in a statement earlier this month: "It is very exciting to be coming back as the same character after all these years and I always loved the Doug Willis character.

"And I love the fact that he is a builder and he is encouraging his young grandson [Josh] to have a trade and be proud of what you do - I think that's very important."

Donovan was a regular on the long-running show between 1990 and 1994.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (01-04-2014)

Neighbours returnee Zeke Kinski will get married shortly after he arrives back on Ramsay Street.

Zeke, played by Matthew Werkmeister, is back on UK screens for a guest stint later this month after three years away from Erinsborough.

Matthew Werkmeister and Kaiya Jones on set at Neighbours
    © Channel 5
    Matthew Werkmeister with co-star Kaiya Jones

Although Zeke receives a warm welcome back from the Kennedys, Karl quickly becomes suspicious that he is hiding something.

Karl's initial theory is that Zeke is gay but is too nervous to tell them, however this proves to be incorrect when Zeke finally reveals that he is engaged to marry a girl named Victoria.

Victoria, played by Sophie Emberson-Bain, is a British girl who Zeke met in London. Even though they have only been together for a short time, Zeke is determined to tie the knot with her.

Karl and Susan fear that Zeke is rushing into things, but they eventually pledge their support to him as the new couple stage an impromptu wedding ceremony in Erinsborough.

Werkmeister's return episode aired in Australia today (April 7) and will be screened on Channel 5 in the UK in a fortnight's time.

The storyline sees Zeke visit Erinsborough to surprise Kate Ramsay on her birthday and catch up with the Kennedys. He returns at the same time as Kate's younger sister Sophie (Kaiya Jones).

Neighbours bosses have confirmed that Pam Willis is returning to the soap for a guest stint.

Pam turns up in Erinsborough next month to see her husband Doug (Terence Donovan) while he is staying with their son Brad and daughter-in-law Terese on Ramsay Street.

Show chiefs have said that Pam's arrival comes as she wants to confront Doug over "an ongoing issue".

Shortly afterwards, Pam is stunned to learn that her partner is about to face the biggest challenge of his life.

Sue Jones has reprised her role as Pam for the storyline. She was previously a Neighbours regular between 1990 and 1994, before later returning briefly in 1996.

Jones commented: "It's been a lovely experience to return to Neighbours to see some of the familiar faces and of course meet a lot of new ones."

Neighbours aired Doug's return scenes in Australia today (April 9) and he will be back on screen in the UK in a fortnight's time.

Pam's return airs from May 5 in Australia and May 19 on Channel 5 in the UK.

Neighbours' Doug Willis pays a visit to Ramsay Street later this month, but it soon becomes apparent that not everyone is pleased to see him.

It was previously announced that actor Terence Donovan would reprise his role as Doug for a guest stint that will see him come and stay with son Brad (Kip Gamblin).

As Doug is greeted by Brad, Imogen and Josh, who are all thrilled to see him, it is clear that Terese is feeling awkward about his arrival.

It soon becomes evident that there is tension between the two based on Terese's belief that Brad's parents always preferred his ex-wife Beth.

Terese tries to put her unhappiness to one side and is pleased when Doug offers to teach Josh some of his skills as a builder.

Viewers will know that Josh has been struggling to cope since an abseiling accident ended his swimming career ambitions.

Doug is determined to help Josh with a different career direction now that his swimming dreams are over. Will his visit leave Josh with new hope?

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, April 23 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Neighbours continues to delve into its past on UK screens next week as Doug Willis arrives back on Ramsay Street for a guest stint.

Doug's return storyline sees him pay a visit to Erinsborough to catch up with his son Brad and become a mentor to his grandson Josh, sensing that the teenager is lacking direction in his life following the end of his swimming career.

As Josh spends time with his grandfather, he starts to become concerned about Doug's frequent memory lapses and the Willis family are later left reeling when Doug is diagnosed with the early signs of Alzheimer's disease.

Digital Spy this week chatted to Terence Donovan, who plays Doug, to hear more about his Neighbours return and how he felt about taking on the challenging storyline.

How did it feel to return to Neighbours after so long away?
    "I was thrilled to come back. When they asked me, I really wanted to know exactly what I was coming back to. The producers told me that they wanted to introduce a very interesting storyline which would involve Doug having a medical problem. I asked them what that medical problem was, and they explained that he would have possibly the first signs of Alzheimer's.

"I thought that the story would be really good to do, because it's a subject matter that affects older people, and any one of us can get into that situation. I thought that it was really wonderful that the producers had decided to bring that to Ramsay Street.

"Ramsay Street is not just about young kids and their love stories - it's about people living in a suburban area. That includes older people and how they adjust and work with their families, carers and friends. I think that was important to recognise, so this story is very commendable for the producers to tackle."

Were you also pleased when you read the scripts and saw exactly how it was handled?
    "Yes, especially as they're talking about this subject matter in a soap opera. It's a universal issue, so it's very important. To show everything that happens in life in a programme like this, you have to show those areas too.

"In the storyline, it's Doug's family who first start to realise that something might be wrong. In real life, often it's the families, friends and carers who can actually see what's happening to another person - things that sometimes people don't see in themselves. I felt that would be a wonderful storyline and I think the producers have handled it well."

Were the scenes emotional to film?
    "The character of Doug Willis is a very buoyant and fun-loving person, so it wasn't all doom and gloom. He handles lots of things with humour, and I think that shows the quality of the character. It also makes it more palatable for the audience to understand. I think that's an important way to tackle it, so that's what I did."

How supportive are Doug's family?
    "They're very supportive, and that's another quality that I like about the storyline - that the family and especially the younger members aren't always just concerned about themselves. Instead they do care about those people who have given their lives and their love to them, and now they in turn are imparting their life and love in return. I think that's very important to see and understand.

"Dementia and Alzheimer's has touched me in my family and some of my friends, and I believe that the more you understand it, the more you will try to help those people who happen to fall on hard times with it."

Were you surprised to get the call to return to Neighbours, or did you always expect it would happen at some point?
    "I never knew that they would want Doug Willis back, but I've always felt that he was a strong character. Doug is a builder and a bit of a common man, who is a lot of fun and a bit of strength in his area with his family and friends. I always felt that it was a bad waste to lose a character like that, so I was very pleased when they rang and said that they'd like to see him back."

How was it to catch up with Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson) and Tom Oliver (Lou Carpenter), who you previously worked with in the '90s?
    "It was really nice. You're going to have to shoot those two to get them out of the series! (Laughs.) It's really lovely to meet up with old mates. We've worked together in different areas and at different times in our careers, so it's always a great pleasure to be able to walk into a studio and catch up with people - especially Tom Oliver as he's been a mate of mine for years."

Did you enjoy working with Kip Gamblin, who's now playing Brad?
    "Yes, it was really good. Kip is very accomplished. I had a very good relationship with Scott Michaelson who played Brad originally - we were great mates, but recasts are always likely to happen when you're in shows like this. For example, my son Jason came into Neighbours and he took over the role of Scott Robinson from someone else, so it's bound to happen.

"I'm very pleased that the person who took over the part was very accomplished himself. Kip really is a fantastic actor."

You also share a lot of screen time with Harley Bonner who plays Josh…
    "Yes, and the good thing about Harley is that he's a bit like a sponge - he wants to learn as much as he can. He's all ears and he asks questions, and that's the way that you really achieve something in this business. I've always felt that you should always be a student. Being a student, you're always wanting to learn a bit more, because you can never know everything.

"Harley is terrific and we went through a lot of things together. It was a great pleasure to work with him."

Doug is very keen to get Josh involved in the building trade. Did you also enjoy that element of the storyline?
    "I did - I thought that was really terrific. The story is about Josh not knowing what to do with his life or where to go, but Doug sees that Josh is very accomplished in building things. Josh can do things without being told to, because he just seems to know how to handle it.

"That is the very essence of a person being a builder and making things. Doug helps Josh to understand that he finds a joy in that. Josh likes doing that and he starts to realise that he has these skills. It's his grandfather who points that out to him, and he starts to realise that maybe that's where he should be heading. He does eventually do that and he makes money out of it, too!"

We'll see Pam come back to Erinsborough too. Do Doug and Pam still have a strong marriage?
    "When Pam comes back, it's revealed that Doug has been a bit secretive with her about his medical problems. She misconstrues the whole thing and starts to think that he's having a bit of an affair with someone.

"That pops up and of course they'll have to sort that out when Pam comes down from Darwin to Melbourne. Once Pam realises that she's made a terrible mistake, their marriage is still very strong, even though they go through these silly problems."

Would you like to come back for another stint and perhaps carry on this Alzheimer's storyline?
    "Well, I do think that the Alzheimer's storyline is really terrific. Also, in Melbourne, the Alzheimer's Association have asked me to be an ambassador for them, so I go round and talk to people about Alzheimer's and about dementia.

"This is also coupled with the RACV, which is the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria here in Australia. They're trying to raise awareness that as people get older, they should be prepared to be tested for how well they can drive. If you're got any signs of Alzheimer's or dementia, it can throw your judgement all over the place, so you can be a danger to yourself and to other people. Nobody wants any fatalities on the roads, so I'm raising awareness of that at the same time as I'm doing Doug Willis.

"The Willis story has got a lot to say about the whole society and it's brilliant that the producers are shining a light on it."

What are your memories from your original stint as Doug?
    "When I look back on it, it's the fun times and the humour that popped up with Doug Willis. I tried to put as much fun and good things into the character. It's hard to single out one specific thing, but if there was one standout thing about Doug Willis himself and the character, it's the fun and humour that he finds in life. We tried to show that in every scene if we could, and that's what has made it work for me."

Scott and Charlene's son Daniel will be joining the Street soon. Do you think Jason would ever come back as Scott?
    "I can't say for sure whether he would or he wouldn't, but I really doubt it because he's got so many other things happening for him. Also I can't see that Kylie would come back, so I think it's very doubtful."

Neighbours turns 30 next year. Are you proud to have been part of the show?
    "I am - I'm really super-proud of the fact that it's lasted this long. It's had such a chequered career! In Australia, it was on one channel but then that channel dropped it and then another channel picked it up, which is most unusual!

"Neighbours is still going, so whether you like it or you don't like it, you must realise that this show has got something which gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure. That's important and I'm really pleased to be a part of it."

Neighbours returnee Zeke Kinski will get married later this month after days of secretive behaviour around Karl and Susan Kennedy.

Viewers will see Zeke (Matthew Werkmeister) arrive back in Erinsborough next week, but when it becomes clear that he is harbouring a secret, his family are left to speculate over what he could be hiding.

Karl jumps to the wrong conclusions by speculating that Zeke is gay, but Zeke eventually confesses that he is actually engaged to marry a British woman called Vic who he met in London.

Both Karl and Susan have doubts over Zeke's hasty actions, but Zeke explains that marrying Vic is the only way he can get a visa to stay permanently in London with her.

After reminding them of their promise to always support him, Zeke introduces Vic (Sophie Emberson-Bain) to Karl and Susan and they give the happy couple their blessing before they tie the knot in an impromptu ceremony.

Zeke and Victoria exchange rings.
    © Channel 5
    Zeke and Victoria exchange rings.

Zeke and Victoria exchange their vows
    © Channel 5
    Zeke and Victoria exchange their vows

Zeke and Victoria are married
    © Channel 5
    Zeke and Victoria are married

Karl and Susan congratulate Zeke and Victoria.
    © Channel 5
    Karl and Susan congratulate Zeke and Victoria.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, April 30 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Meanwhile, Pam Willis makes a hurtful mistake when she arrives back in Erinsborough later this month.

Pam (Sue Jones) returns to Ramsay Street following the news that her husband Doug has been diagnosed with the early signs of Alzheimer's disease, but to everyone's surprise, she is far from sympathetic towards him.

It soon transpires that Pam suspects Doug (Terence Donovan) of having an affair, believing that this is the true reason for his recent bizarre behaviour.

Karl Kennedy later intervenes by confirming Doug's diagnosis to Pam, but will Doug forgive his wife for doubting him when he needed her the most?

Pam, Terese and Brad share their concerns about Doug
    © Channel 5
    Pam, Terese and Brad share their concerns

Neighbours airs these scenes on Monday, May 19 and Tuesday, May 20 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Last edited by Perdita; 12-06-2014 at 08:48.

It's been a busy few months on screen for Neighbours with Kate's tragic death and the arrivals of Naomi and Daniel all shaking up life on Ramsay Street.

In the next few weeks, there are more highlights to come on UK screens as Lauren and Brad's long-lost daughter Paige finally arrives and Libby Kennedy makes a welcome return to Erinsborough for a three-week visit.

To hear more about what the Neighbours bosses have in store for the next few months, Digital Spy recently chatted to show producer Jason Herbison. Read on to find out what he had to say!

We've already seen quite a few changes to the show so far this year, but what are your plans for the next few months?
    "We have lots of exciting things coming up. We're currently in the midst of filming a major event that will screen later in the year - think natural disaster. We've also just welcomed a new member to the regular cast. As a hint, I can tell you he'll be living in the Kennedy house. It feels like a really good time for the show, with a good mix of character and stories."

We know that you've always been a genuine fan of Neighbours. Has this been beneficial and affected your approach since taking on the top job?
    "I hope it's been beneficial and it's definitely affected my approach. Neighbours was my first job in the industry and it's close to my heart, so it's a huge honour to be back in a leadership role. I'm trying hard to learn from the past, listen to the feedback, not be afraid to take risks and move the show forward in a positive way. I'm fortunate to have a great cast and crew who are dedicated to making the show the best it can be."

Which storylines and characters are going to be most prominent over the next few months?
    "We have major stories coming up for all the households. Karl and Susan will be hosting return visits from Libby, Ben and Mal. Toadie and Sonya's marital troubles will come to a head, with meddling from Naomi.

"Paige's journey to connect with the Willises and Turners will be complicated by the return of Kathy Carpenter. Sheila will be dipping her toe into the dating pond, while Kyle, Georgia and Chris navigate their love lives.

"Brennan will be exploring life as a single man and taking on some housemates. As always, Paul will remain at the forefront, dealing with the fallout from Kate's death, his relationship with Daniel and a mystery woman from his past."

Episode 7,000 is coming up in the near future. Are there any plans to do something big for it, or is the main focus going to be on celebrating the 30th anniversary next year?
    "Our cup is overflowing with milestones - we have Karl and Susan's 20th anniversary, episode 7000 and the 30th anniversary all within the space of six months!

"With Karl and Susan, we chose to focus on a series of stories that would celebrate the Kennedy family. With the 7000th, we have developed a small story to mark the occasion. As you suggest, the main focus will be on the 30th and we'll be rolling out many exciting things."

Are your plans for the 30th anniversary already in place?
    "We've been preparing for the 30th since January. Ideas are still evolving, but it will be big! Neighbours is the longest running drama Australia has ever produced and that's cause for celebration."

We always see great excitement from the fans whenever returnees are announced. Do you have any more returning characters on the way, and is there a dream returnee you'd love to see back?
    "There will be more in the future. In the short term, we are bringing back a fun character from the 1980s - she was never a regular, but she caused a stir back in the day. Now that we have Daniel in the show, it would be great to see Scott, Charlene or even Uncle Henry. Beth Brennan would also be interesting, given that her ex-husband Brad is again part of the street. I'd love to see her face off with Terese."

Whenever someone comes back as a guest, there are always calls from the fans for them to be brought back as a regular - as we've seen with Libby, Lucy, Doug, Pam and Zeke recently. Do you think any of the recent returnees have the potential to come back full-time?
    "There is always potential. However, at this stage we're concentrating on re-establishing an extended community outside Ramsay Street, who can pop in and out as needed. At least two of the characters you mentioned will make return visits before the year is out. I like the idea that just as in real life, familiar faces come and go, sometimes for short periods and sometimes for longer ones."

How do you feel about the viewer reaction to Kate's death and why did you make the decision to kill her off?
    "It was a difficult decision. Ashleigh Brewer wanted to leave and Scott McGregor was happy to stay, so we had a dilemma - how could Kate possibly depart without Brennan, when viewers were so invested in their love story?

"Also, we were keen to do a major event in April - something with long term implications - and a tragic death gives us that. Whenever you kill a long running character off, you expect a passionate response from the audience and that's exactly what her passing has given us."

The shooting episode had great ratings, but many fans were also frustrated that it clearly showed the limitations of the show's G-rating. Do you agree with the fans who think upgrading to a PG-rating would be beneficial to the show's future?
    "We were thrilled with the ratings for the two-part event in the UK - some of our highest in years. We worked very closely with Channel 5 during the planning of the story and it was terrific to send both Stefan and Rebekah over to London to coincide with the air date. The G rating is a challenge, but we will always defer to our broadcasters on that one."

Without giving too much away, can you give us any hints on what we can expect from the reveal of Kate's killer and the aftermath for Paul and Brennan?
    "Paul has spent the aftermath of Kate's death blaming the tragedy on Brennan - so it will come as a huge shock to him to discover his anger has been misplaced. The realisation is going to rock him to the core. He will question his place in the world and finds answers in unexpected places. The reveal also gives Brennan the closure that he needs."

With the deaths of Rhys, Priya and Kate in the past year or so, there's been a lapse in time on-screen which has meant we've missed out on the immediate aftermath. As fans have said they wish these deaths had been explored more, would you take this on board for the future?
    "Absolutely and I think it's fair criticism. With both events, production factors played a strong role in the storytelling and the pacing. That said, I realise this isn't something you can explain to the audience. I appreciate that some viewers felt that we skipped moments or didn't see certain characters. There are always lessons to be learned and we're constantly reflecting and asking ourselves - what can we do better next time?"

With the shooting and siege episodes now out of the way, are plans already on the horizon for another 'event'-style storyline or episode? Has there been a conscious decision to inject more drama into the show recently?
    "We always strive for the perfect blend of drama, romance and comedy. We also aim to plot a number of major events throughout the year, just to keep things interesting.

"I wouldn't say we're trying to make the show more dramatic. Our story producer, Stephen Vagg, is actually one of the funniest storytellers I know, so you will no doubt see more humour as his work unfolds on the screen."

There was a bit of an outcry among fans when Lucas and Vanessa were written out last year. Did the reaction come as a surprise to the team, and do you think their popularity may have been underestimated?
    "It didn't come as a surprise - we were very sad to lose them as well. Heading into 2013, all indications were telling us that we had to make some tough changes to the show. Viewers weren't engaging like they used to and this was costing us.

"Looking at the big picture, we saw a need to go back to basics and 'reset' the street with a mix of multi-wing traditional families, blended families and share houses. The only way to do this was to lose characters and it hurt.

"We love Lucas and Vanessa, we continue to mention them and we hope to bring them back for return visits in the future. On a positive note, Scott Major is doing exceptional work as a director and this means that the audience can enjoy his talent in a different way and we still get to have him on set."

There's been a lot of discussion and debate about diversity within the show. Are there any plans to bring diversity back to the regular cast?
    "Absolutely - you will see diversity back in the regular cast very soon."

Are you still planning to introduce a regular love interest for Chris?
    "We are."

Daniel has been a breath of fresh air so far, so can you tell us anything about your future plans for him?
    "I'm thrilled that viewers are warming to Daniel. Casting is such an important process and we searched far and wide before we found Tim Phillipps. He's really brought the role alive and is everything we wanted him to be. The coming months will see Daniel fall headlong into love. Our main objective is to always be true to his character - he's a free spirit and very much the opposite of Paul."

Would you like to expand the Canning family further in the future?
    "Yes - you will see an appearance from another member of the Canning family before the year is out. I'm so glad viewers are responding well to Naomi. I'd been wanting to bring her in for a long time and it was such a joy to actually get the opportunity to cast her. Morgana O'Reilly's audition really stood out to us and the deal was sealed when we saw her in the room with Colette Mann."

Are there any plans to bring in the other Willises, Ned and Piper?
    "Not at this stage, although we are very aware that Piper will be 27 by the time she finishes with the school exchange programme! We are hoping the Willis family will be with us for years to come, so there's every chance you will see them - it's just a matter of when!"
    Last edited by Perdita; 12-06-2014 at 11:08.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-06-2014)

Thread Information