Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: A levels

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeyWaVey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by di marco View Post
    I am hoping to go to Aberystwyth University at the end of September to study English Literature and Creative Writing, though I want to change my course slightly and just do English Literature on its own.
    hopefully youll get to change your course, its not a drastic change so you should be alright. otherwise you would probably be able to change to just english after your first year, i know a lot of people who have changed like that
    Do you think I could change on Freshers week when I get there? Or maybe after a few weeks into the course I could just switch? This is what I hope to do.. as you say it isn't a drastic change, so I hope it isn't much of a problem.
    if you definitely know you want to change id try and change it asap as sometimes they might be a bit funny changing halfway through. if youre not sure so wanna try it and see, they might let you change after a few weeks. otherwise does your first year count towards your final degree? if not it might not be too bad if they wont let you change til after the first year. do you need the same amount of points/grades for both?
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to di marco For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (23-06-2009)

It depends a lot on the structure of the course, and also whether or not the class size is near capacity.

When i was at Uni, granted probably before you were born, I changed my Nat Phil class to General Physics after one lecture. I just knew that my maths wasn't up to Nat Phil.

I would contact your course director/advisor of studies as soon as you get your results.

It doesn't sound like an issue at all - you are just dropping something, not asking to replace it with another class?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (23-06-2009)

I don't think my first year will count towards my final degree. I got an unconditional offer from the university and a Merit Award (£1000 funded towards my first year of study) as I passed two entry exams - one for English Literature and one for Creative Writing, so my A Level results don't matter too much, opposed to if it was just a conditional offer.. so maybe I should contact them now..

Thanks for the advice. Yep, that's all I want to do Trinity. I want to do a full honours in English, opposed to doing the joint honours in English and Creative Writing.
    Last edited by DaVeyWaVey; 23-06-2009 at 19:01.

If I remember correctly from prospectuses I've been reading, that's the wording for a Joint Honours Degree. So it's no Creative Writing lectures and all English Literature. I'm looking at combined honours and it sounds like you have some lectures with those doing the single honours course anyway; hopefully there would be space to allow you to change.

Don't you have an unconditional Dave? One of my teachers was saying to some people in one of my classes that often the entry requirements for combined honours are lower than those for single honours. So I'm not sure on whether it would affect the offer.

Ignore half of that lol, I didn't see that you had posted.
    Last edited by Kim; 23-06-2009 at 19:04.

They say you have to get 300 points to do the joint honours and 280 points to do the full honours English Literature, so hopefully I should be ok.

I would definitely contact them now, if only to put your mind at ease.

For joint honours at my Uni you need to meet the requirements of a single honours in both subjects, but I guess different places have different rules and although I work in a university it is a fair while since I have had any direct contact with students. I am 100% research admin now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I would definitely contact them now, if only to put your mind at ease.

For joint honours at my Uni you need to meet the requirements of a single honours in both subjects, but I guess different places have different rules and although I work in a university it is a fair while since I have had any direct contact with students. I am 100% research admin now.
    That sounds like a good system. I think that the only reason they are often lower now is because fewer students want to do the courses, as there are so many different subjects that can be combined. So I guess unis just want to fill up the places on as many courses as possible, while ensuring that the student's abilities are appropriate for the course.
    Last edited by Kim; 23-06-2009 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannelene View Post
    When do you all get your results?
    And what is everyone hoping to go on to do after?
    I've just started A2 (the second year of A Levels.) I want to go to uni after that; at the moment I want to do combined Business and Psychology. My results are on the 20th August too.
    Good luck and I so hope you get the results that you need

Lots of people swapped courses in the first few weeks. Some changed their whole course (Forensic science to forensic investigation, two completely different things) and some went from joint to single honours.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem to go from a joint to single. Are you doing Lit with creative or lit and creative? You might get to choose an extra module depending on the course you've applied for and the one you want to do.

I don't think my first year will count towards my final degree. I got an unconditional offer from the university and a Merit Award (£1000 funded towards my first year of study) as I passed two entry exams - one for English Literature and one for Creative Writing, so my A Level results don't matter too much, opposed to if it was just a conditional offer.. so maybe I should contact them now..

Thanks for the advice. Yep, that's all I want to do Trinity. I want to do a full honours in English, opposed to doing the joint honours in English and Creative Writing.
    seeing as youve got an unconditional offer, id suggest that you contact them now to change your course if you are definitely sure thats what you want to do as the sooner you do it the more chance you have of getting it changed, i dont think itll be too much of a problem though. good luck with it all
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Thread Information