Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbours Spoilers (AUS) 2017

Neighbours Spoilers (AUS) 2017

Anyone know what's happening next year, yet??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lellygurl For This Useful Post:

Vickig7 (26-11-2016)

I have heard that Sonya will have a miscarriage and Jack will learn that Paige is pregnant with his child so he will have to choose whether or not to leave the church and Typer will be torn apart early next year after Brad and Terese find out about them

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkMcG97 For This Useful Post:

lellygurl (06-12-2016)

It's been a pretty epic year for Neighbours, with big events like the Lassiters explosion and the devastating hot air balloon crash helping the show to compete with the bigger soaps for our attention. And let's not forget the big announcement we've all waited years for – Dee Bliss is (somehow!) still alive.

Of course, along with that healthy dose of soapy craziness, the show has continued to deliver its usual "perfect blend" of humour, warmth and community that has kept Neighbours going strong for 31 years.

But what's ahead for Ramsay Street's residents in 2017? To find out, Digital Spy recently caught up with Neighbours producer Jason Herbison for all the gossip. And it sounds like Dee's shock return from the dead is just the start...

Looking back over 2016, what are you most proud of and what could have worked better?

"I'm very proud of the balloon crash episodes. We do big stunts once or twice a year, and we always ask ourselves, what haven't we done and what isn't being done on the other soaps? A balloon crash was different and I think we spun great story out of it, as well as achieving production value.

"I also think the hotel explosion provided us with many exciting twists and turns, but if I had my time again I'd confirm that Julie Quill was the culprit sooner. I wish we'd given the audience superior knowledge and spent less time on red herrings, however still kept the Father Jack twist a mystery.

"The two storylines I just mentioned are quite high concept and create a lot of interest, but we know we have to do them sparingly or they lose impact. The real strength of Neighbours is the day to day, the sense of community, the warmth and familiarity of the characters. The best episodes for me are the ones that capture this and have a bit of drama, a bit of humour and a bit of romance.

"I'm also very proud of the cast and crew. We write, film and post produce six episodes of Neighbours every week and I'm thrilled that our show made in the Melbourne suburbs is often the fourth most-watched soap in the UK."

What are your main aims for the 2017 season?

"In terms of storytelling, the challenge is always to hit the right balance and keep the characters interesting, truthful and empathetic. We've already plotted the first six months and I'm excited by what's ahead. There are some big, dramatic story arcs to power the show along.

"Everyone knows about Dee – that's going to be huge. We also have a massive story arc around a new teacher, Finn Kelly. We will see the mystery around the Tanaka boys' past solved. I see these sorts of stories as big anchor points that you can wrap everything else around.

"In production terms, we are continuing to shoot more off-site locations, which is opening up the world again. We are also enhancing our sets and back lot. A number of environments will be getting a spruce up, including two houses. We have new work spaces for the hotel and motel coming too, as well as additional outside playing areas."

The Channel 5 lunchtime screening is currently bringing in some of its highest ratings in years. Do you think anything in particular has caused the rise?

"I'm thrilled to see the show doing so well at lunchtime. We're achieving some of our highest shares ever, which is just fantastic. It goes to show the characters and the storylines are resonating. We've also had some great uplifts at teatime and online, particularly around the hotel explosion and balloon crash storylines. Channel 5 are brilliant in their promotional and editorial support of the show."

It's the big question: what can we expect from Dee's return?

"Dee's return is the holy grail of Neighbours storylines. The biggest priority was to find a fresh take on it, as so many characters have come back from the dead over the years. We also had to make it worth Madeleine West's while to return, as she really wanted something she could believe and sink her teeth into. I think viewers are going to run the gamut of emotions when they see it."

Tyler and Piper have proved incredibly popular with the social media audience. Can you tell us what's ahead for them in the New Year?

"Tyler and Piper have committed to their relationship, despite the age difference. This means taking a stand against their families and taking a risk to be together. Travis and Mavournee have great chemistry. We see them as a long term couple."

We ended the 2016 season with Sonya and Paige's pregnancy bombshells. What's next for the two of them?

"The two stories are very juicy. Sonya's pregnancy is a pressure cooker situation. I think it speaks very much to her character that she'd want to do this for Steph and Mark and convince herself everyone is on board. Naturally it will have huge implications for Toadie, who has been internalising his own sadness over not being a father again. We are not trying to present it as a positive or negative thing, but rather viewers can debate for themselves.

"Paige's pregnancy is also going to be a rock in the pond for all concerned."

Are the rumours true about Callum's ex-girlfriend Josie Lamb returning with her family next year?

"Josie will be back on the show. Unfortunately, there are challenging times ahead for the Crabb/Lamb family with Ellen and Victoria facing relationship problems. But it's wonderful to see Josie back for the storyline. I think of her and her mums as part of a big extended world that sits just outside the regular characters. They, and others, can pop in and out as the storyline warrants."

Do you have any more returning characters or new regulars up your sleeve for next year?

"We are reintroducing a character from the 1986/87 regular cast on a recurring basis, which has been a lot of fun. This person returns in a work environment and my hope is to see them pop in and out.

"We'll also be seeing at least three characters who only ever appeared briefly in the past, from a variety of eras. It would also be terrific to see Hilary again if the actress is ready to come back."

Your spoiler strategy has changed recently, with less information revealed before transmission and more surprises within the episodes, such as the Father Jack priest reveal. Is this a deliberate change and do you think it's working well?

"The wonderful thing about Australia and the UK being day and date is that we can pull off some genuine surprises. So yes, it has been deliberate, although it has meant some sleepless nights as I've fretted over spoilers getting out. In this spoiler-heavy world, I think our audiences do enjoy being taken by surprise and we really appreciate the media working with us on protecting some of these big shocks."

As you mentioned, the show has felt less claustrophobic recently, with some of the location shoots taking us out of Erinsborough. Are there more of these storylines on the way which take characters away from home turf?

"Absolutely. I was able to bring on a fantastic new producer, Natalie Lynch, at the start of the year. One of our priorities was to rethink the production model and bring off-site location shooting back into the show. We do have an amazing back lot and our crew are experts at utilising every square inch of it, but it's also great to venture out to the wider world.

"Natalie has been instrumental in us filming around Melbourne and beyond, and you will see this increase in 2017. We've also been filming in the UK, which is a treat. The cast are always lined up to go!"

Ben Hall has proved incredibly popular as Ned Willis, but there's been no word on him joining the cast more permanently. Is this something you'd consider?

"Absolutely. We explored making Ben a regular early on, but at the time he wasn't keen on making a long commitment. However we agree he's a fantastic actor and we've loved all of his three stints."

Some fans criticised the "stunt casting" of well-known faces this year, who didn't necessarily have an acting background. Do you have any thoughts on this?

"There is always an imperative to create interest and bring brand new viewers to the show. I don't think it's a new concept. We always audition and we've never given a role to someone who hasn't impressed us on tape."

Are the rumours true that Lou Carpenter's recent return storyline was the last time we'll see him?

"Tom Oliver is a true Neighbours legend and I very much hope we will see him again. I adored his recent return and the chance to bring Lou and Kathy back for a reunion. Tom and Tina have fantastic chemistry and I could watch them all day."

It felt as though Daniel Robinson left the show with untapped potential this year. Looking back, why was that decision made and would you bring him back?

"The decision was driven by the writers and I very much think of it as a resting of the character, rather than not seeing him again. Tim [Phillipps, who played Daniel] is a fantastic actor and Daniel will always be connected through Paul. There's lots more we can do with him and I hope we get the chance one day. I would put this one down to timing."

The strategy for the hotel explosion, with the UK getting the world premiere and a more gory 10pm edit on Channel 5, seemed to work really well. Is this a tactic that will be repeated in 2017 or beyond?

"We don't have any immediate plans but anything is possible. Neighbours remains a G rated show [the equivalent of a U rating in the UK] and we are very mindful of looking after the needs of both our markets."

Would you ever go the whole hog and do a Hollyoaks Later-style late-night Neighbours?

"I think I would have to clone myself and everyone around me to pull off the workload! Again, anything is possible but there are no plans as yet. We definitely do like to think outside the box."

Has a live episode ever been considered?

"We've talked about it a number of times. The fact that we are now day and date is helpful, but there are still significant technical issues involved with booming the show to the other side of the world – and potentially done three times with the various broadcasts. Anything is possible. I'm sure the cast would relish it."

And some final teasers...

"Susan will have her hands full with her niece Elly and the new teacher, Finn Kelly."
    "Karl and Ben end up at odds with the Cannings in the wake of Brooke's visit."
    "We haven't seen the last of Brooke!"
    "The Tanaka boys will see the answers to their questions about their past resolved."
    "For Aaron, a slow burn romance and a returning love interest from the past awaits."
    "Old feelings will reawaken between Paul and Terese, but there will be a giant obstacle in the form of Gary..."

Neighbours returns for its 2017 season on Monday, January 9 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Digital Spy

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (18-12-2016), badirene (28-12-2016), ChrisRF (25-12-2016), Dazzle (17-12-2016), MellBee (18-12-2016), Pantherboy (16-12-2016), pyrocanthus (19-12-2016), Ruffed_lemur (17-12-2016), Vikki (17-12-2016)

Wonder who the 86/87 regular is and is it the original actor.

New sets are always interesting but what happened to the Gym set ?

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Do you have any more returning characters or new regulars up your sleeve for next year?

'We are reintroducing a character from the 1986/87 regular cast on a recurring basis, which has been a lot of fun. This person returns in a work environment and my hope is to see them pop in and out.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
    Wonder who the 86/87 regular is and is it the original actor.
    It hasn't been officially confirmed by the show as far as I know, but rumours are that the recurring returning character from 1986/87 is Dr Clive Gibbons (Geoff Paine).

Wikipedia states it's true and contains a citation from Geoff's management that appears to confirm it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_...urn_.282017.29

(It's also rumoured that he will turn out to be the Tanaka twins' father!)

I hope his return turns out to be true because it would be very good news for those of us who watched Neighbours all those years ago. Clive was a very likeable and entertaining character.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 17-12-2016 at 17:23.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (18-12-2016), badirene (28-12-2016), MellBee (18-12-2016), Pantherboy (17-12-2016), Perdita (17-12-2016), Vikki (17-12-2016)

I loved clive ,I hope it is him!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zozo3 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (17-12-2016), MellBee (24-12-2016), Pantherboy (17-12-2016)

Oh no not more brooke !!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zozo3 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-12-2016), PennyMartin (19-12-2016)

Clive hey ,interesting. Remember his character but don't remember much about him. The Tanaka's father? I can see the family resemblance!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

badirene (06-01-2017), Dazzle (18-12-2016), lennonl (20-12-2016), MellBee (24-12-2016)

I was wondering who it might be too, looking forward to finding out. The storylines for 2017 are going to be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocanthus View Post
    I was wondering who it might be too, looking forward to finding out. The storylines for 2017 are going to be good too.
    Clive Gibbons http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...510#post868510

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tuckec01 (09-03-2017)

Thread Information