Thread: Derek

Derek

Ricky Gervais sitcom pilot Derek will be screened on Channel 4 in April, it has been announced.

The Office creator is hoping that the nursing home-centred comedy, which also stars Karl Pilkington in his first acting role, is commissioned for a full series.

However, BAFTA is billing its screening in London, on Tuesday, March 27, as "a one-off comedy drama".

A Channel 4 spokesperson said: "Channel 4 is very excited to be working with Ricky Gervais on this new project and it's wrong to say we have rejected a series.

"The pilot will be on TV in April and then there'll be further discussions about the potential for a full series."

Derek Noakes, to be played by Gervais, is described by BAFTA as "a tender, innocent man whose love for his job and the people he cares for shines through".

"He's 49 years old and loves animals, Rolf Harris, Jesus, Deal or No Deal, Million Pound Drop and Britain's Got Talent - but his main hobby is autograph hunting," added the description.

Pilkington will portray retirement home landlord Dougie, Noakes's employer.

James Bond legend Sir Sean Connery will reportedly appear in the first episode.

Derek Noakes first appeared in a short at 2001's Edinburgh Comedy Festival, then a 39-year-old aspiring stand-up comic living with his grandmother.

Ricky Gervais' comedy Derek has received the green light for another season.

The staff and residents of Broad Hill Retirement Home will return for a second six-part series next year.

The show's creator and star Ricky, who plays care worker Derek Noakes, said: "Derek is probably my favourite thing of everything I've done, so I can't wait to start thinking up some new adventures for the gang."

Phil Clarke, Channel 4's head of comedy said: "I am delighted that Derek is coming back for a second run on Channel 4. It's an original comic vision, brave, funny and touching, with a star performance at its heart. It has already garnered a loyal following."

Karl Pilkington, Kerry Godliman and David Earl also star in Derek, which has been picked up by US streaming network Netflix.

The final episode in the current series will be shown on Channel 4 tomorrow.

Last edited by tammyy2j; 05-03-2013 at 23:52.

Not a fan of Ricky but I am enjoying Derek. Karl Pilkington is fab in it.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information