Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rita Sullivan Tanner (Barbara Knox)

phew, glad its just the Kabin. its not like i'd like to see loads more of Rita but i do quite like the community of older people they have on the street. Rita is the voice of reason, lol.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Seems like neither is true

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a1...on-street.html

Tablod reports today suggesting that Rita Sullivan (Barbara Knox) is quitting her Coronation Street workplace The Kabin - and the soap - are untrue.

Barbara's very much staying with the show and with its 50th anniversary just around the corner, why wouldn't she?

In a September storyline, Rita announces her intention to retire and decides to sell her share of the business to Norris (Malcolm Hebden), who owns the other part.

Her decision is part of a comedy storyline and Rita's retirement doesn't last long at all - she's back where she belongs in no time.

Mind you, I wouldn't believe all the soapy hype in the papers - the same tabloid also claimed that Betty Williams (Betty Driver) was to lose her job behind the bar at The Rovers. At the time it sounded a permanent move but it lasted all of one episode. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I was worried then, I mean she cant leave

If Barbara was to scale back her work on the street I would miss Rita as Rita has always been in corrie for as long as I can remember, but if she was to quit the Kabin Norris and Tina would make a great team running the Kabin like Roy and Becky in the cafe.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Coronation Street's Barbara Knox has said she has no thoughts of retiring from the soap yet.

The 78-year-old actress, who first appeared as Weatherfield's Rita Sullivan in 1964, believes her work has tremendous health benefits.

Speaking to The Mirror, Knox scoffed: "Retire? What a filthy word. I haven't thought of retiring. I keep saying to everybody I know - don't retire, just keep working.

"It's so good for you - it certainly is for me. I know it's hard and you're tired and you don't want to go in, but your brain is in action."

She added: "I do think the sheer discipline of work helps to keep you younger.

"So apart from loving the job, that is at the back of my mind. I've done it all my life and I enjoy it and I genuinely find it stimulating."

The star's character Rita was off screen for five months from October 2009 to March 2010, after Knox took a break for health reasons.

Cornershop stalwart Rita Sullivan, who has been married twice before, is getting hitched to old friend Dennis Tanner next month to coincide with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Exclamation Rita Tanner

Coronation Street actress Barbara Knox required the help of a body double when filming today (June 25).

The 79-year-old veteran actress was replaced by somebody wearing the same purple coat and a wig during difficult scenes featuring Rita Tanner being attacked and falling to the ground, The Sun reports.

In the ITV soap, surrogate mum Tina McIntyre turns to drink and struggles to cope after she hands her son over to Izzy Armstrong (Cherylee Houston) and Gary Windass (Mikey North). While drinking vodka on a bench, Tina is set to be approached by youths after trouble who ask her for alcohol.

However, Rita will arrive shortly afterwards searching for her friend. She will be attacked by a gang in a park as she attempts to find and help Tina, with the group snatching her bag and pushing her to the ground.

Last year, Knox spoke about the warm reception she receives from fans of the soap when they recognise her in the street.

In a rare interview, she said: "People are very nice, they love the programme, they come up to you and they are so kind. They tell you what we should have done, what we might have done, and 'Why didn't you…?'

"It's very nice, actually, because the programme hasn't got stale. People still love it. I do go about and sometimes they grab my arm and say, 'Come here, you!' I don't particularly like that, but I suppose it's affectionate in a way!"

Coronation Street legend Barbara Knox was presented with an 80th birthday cake live on ITV's This Morning today (October 3).

The actress turned 80 on Monday and helped to celebrate another milestone today as she appeared on This Morning's 25th anniversary show, which was broadcast from Liverpool's Albert Dock.

Knox's interview saw her reflect on her time playing fan favourite Rita Tanner on Coronation Street, admitting that she always wanted a long stint on the ITV soap.

Rita first appeared on screen in 1964 as a friend of Dennis Tanner (Philip Lowrie). She only featured in two episodes before eventually returning in 1972.

She said: "In 1964 I wanted it to be [a long-term role], but I only did two episodes and I never heard from Granada again for years! Then when I came back, again they said, 'Would you do two episodes?' I thought, 'Here we go again, two episodes!' Then it all changed and I'm still here, thank God."

Phillip and Holyl with Barbara Knox during the 25th anniversary show of 'This Morning'
    © Rex Features / Ken McKay
    Phillip and Holly with Barbara Knox

She continued: "Having done those two episodes with Philip Lowrie, I really thought, 'We worked so well together, maybe they'll have us?' Of course I didn't get rebooked and Philip left in 1968. We didn't meet up again for 40 years."

Knox said that her favourite Coronation Street moment is still Alan Bradley's fatal tram accident.

"We've never really topped it in many ways, and we were the first to do that sort of thing - the tram, the excitement, the long story," she commented. "It means very much to me, that one."

Barbara Knox during the 25th anniversary show of 'This Morning'
    © Rex Features / Ken McKay
    Barbara Knox during the 25th anniversary show

Fans know that Rita and Dennis are now happily married. They have another storyline on the way soon as Dennis decides to relaunch his music career.

On Rita's reaction to Dennis's plans, Knox laughed: "Well, there you go. That's fellas, isn't it? I'm very interested and I would like to help him, but we'll see where it takes us. It may go into something else."

New Coronation Street boss AXES The Kabin! What now for Rita and Norris?
    It’s been claimed today that new Coronation Street boss Kate Oates – who was previously Series Producer at Emmerdale – has decided to axe the Street’s iconic Kabin.
    According to Coronation Street Blog, Oates decided that it was “unrealistic” that a small corner shop such as The Kabin would still be open, given the competition from big-name chain stores and supermarkets.
    A Coronation Street spokesman said, “With many newsagents closing all over the country, it’s unrealistic that The Kabin still exists.
    “There has been a mention of a mini Freshco’s opening nearby, and this will have a great affect on The Kabin.”
    The show’s rep went on to say that as yet, there has been no decision made as to what will happen to Rita once the shop closes, because of course, she lives in a flat above it…
    However, the Corrie source added, “We’ve always regretted not axing the Kabin when we had the chance during the 2010 tram crash.”
    But somewhat worryingly – because we’d hate to see either character written out – the spokesman concluded by saying, “We’re also considering what future Norris and Rita have on the show.”
    What do you think of the decision to get rid of The Kabin? And what do you think will happen to the building it’s housed in?
    And of course, how would you feel if Rita and Norris were written out?
    As mentioned, we’d be gutted, because Coronation Street just plain wouldn’t be the same without either…
    But of course, that said, the show does have to move on and it does have to keep evolving and changing, so it’s always to be expected that characters will come and go. However, The Kabin is so iconic, and Norris and Rita at its helm are so brilliant together, we really don’t want to see that era come to an end.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-04-2016)

I don't think it's that unrealistic for the Kabin still to be open. We have lots of corner conf/tob newsagents still open round our way. It's Dev's shop that would really feel the competition from Freshco.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-04-2016), Perdita (03-04-2016), Rear window (03-04-2016)

I'm not sure I believe that article. The following sentences don't sound to me like something a real Corrie source would say:

“We’ve always regretted not axing the Kabin when we had the chance during the 2010 tram crash.”
    “We’re also considering what future Norris and Rita have on the show.”
    Are you sure it wasn't published on April 1st, Perdita?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (03-04-2016), Perdita (03-04-2016)

Thread Information