Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jean Slater (Gillian Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
    My it set me thinking. I'm 37 (nearly 38) and I do not look that old. But for 51 she looks good.
    im nearly 39 and i dont look like that either
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

Starting life as a minor character in December 2004, EastEnders fan favourite Jean Slater - played by Gillian Wright - was quickly promoted to a series regular and moved onto the Square to live with her daughter Stacey at Number 23. Following the disappearance of her son Sean (Rob Kazinsky) at the beginning of the year, Jean struggled to cope and went through a bad patch with her illness, which resulted in her seeking medical assistance and being taken away for some respite. Now back home, Jean's about to embark on a key storyline with her screen daughter Stacey (Lacey Turner). We gave Gillian a call to find out more.

You must've been pleased when they turned Jean into a regular character?
    "I don't think she was ever intended to be a regular. She snuck in the back door really! She's a character that's grown after being created for a week of episodes back in 2005 for that big storyline where Stacey found Jean in the flat that was all boarded up. There was the odd little bit here and there over the following months and it just gradually built up to becoming a regular. It was quite hard to turn her from someone who was quite an intensive character to someone who could be watched on a regular basis."

She's quite a complicated character, too, isn't she?
    "Yes. She's slightly quirky and off-kilter but also has bi-polar, if that makes sense? The disorder's different for everybody. I wait until the scripts come in and sometimes I think 'we've been on a flat level for too long' so I find a way within the dialogue to make it a bit difference."

You can be quite creative with the character, then?
    "Yeah. It's an absolute privilege to be able to do that. I have a little bit more freedom to be quirky! Although there's an absolute sense of responsibility that comes with it, too. Thousands of people suffer with bi-polar and I have a keen sense to want to maintain some integrity with the part."

Is it easy to slip in and out of Jean mode?
    "It's funny you should say that. It's becoming easier and easier. Last autumn, I had a little time out to do a play with a director that I've worked with on and off for the last 20 years. As soon as I hit the rehearsal room, [the director] was pulling me up quite quickly, saying 'what are you doing with your hand?' I realised I was doing what Jean does with her hand! As soon as I have Jean's shoes on, though, it's comes quite quickly!"

You've built up such a great screen relationship with Lacey. What's it like working with her?
    "It's absolutely great. Our working relationship has grown especially over the last couple of years, and when I first started she was only 16/17. Everybody's really generous to us on set and quite often, they'll say 'what would you like to do?' or 'how do you want to play this?' They'll sometimes let us just play the scene and shoot what we've offered."

You have some great scenes coming up together, too, haven't you? What's to come?
    "From Stacey's point of view, she's had her brother Sean leaving, then Jean putting herself into care after a bad patch and then Danielle's death - that's been a lot for her to deal with. Jean begins to see unexpected and erratic behaviour from Stacey - she starts acting a little like a naughty teenager. Jean's quite surprised by it all, but in her head, she just puts it down to the fact that her daughter's been through a lot over the last few months. She's worried, though."

What's the most challenging aspect of the role?
    "Quite often the scenes I shoot are back-to-back and there are quite a lot of them. You get yourself into the 'place' or the frame of mind you need to be in for the scenes and it's hanging on to that between takes without letting the feelings or mood intensify - it's quite tiring and emotionally demanding."

There's a lot about Jean that we don't know, isn't there?
    "Oh, yeah! I'm forever running up to the office saying 'I've got a great idea!' What's so wonderful about this part is that you have so many members of the public talking to you about their own bi-polar disorder or their bi-polar friend. There are so many stories to be told and in the most unexpected places. About a year ago, I was trying to buy a new mattress and I went to a department store testing them all out. Then one of the assistants came to help me with my decision and it was about five minutes later that I found myself in the most remarkable situation - lying on a mattress with a sales assistant lying beside me telling me her stories which were highly entertaining. At the same time, I was acutely aware that there were other shoppers walking around doing a double-take saying 'that's Jean Slater lying there!'"

Do you enjoy working on the show?
    "Absolutely. It's always a surprise. I couldn't believe when I walked into the Second AD's office to let them know I was there and Josie Lawrence was sat there! She's such a witty woman and I love her on Just A Minute - it's one of my favourite programmes. I found myself quite nervous and I always forget that people will probably recognise me and I asked 'what are you doing here?' and she told me she'd joined! She got the dressing room next to mine which I was very excited about and ever since I've been begging the producers to give me a scene with her. I'm still campaigning!"

Jean Slater on Sean, jobs and love

Yesterday, I managed to grab a chat with a personal EastEnders favourite of mine Gillian Wright - Jean Slater in the Walford soap - about her forthcoming story with her screen daughter Stacey (Lacey Turner).

Click here to read the main part of the interview, but read on for some juicy bonus excerpts from my time with Gillian, where she reveals that Jean finally gets a job!

I had of e-mails at the time asking whether Jean was coming back or not!
    "I was wondering the same thing! I remember getting the scripts where I gave Stacey a kiss goodbye and I got driven off. The last direction in the script for that episode said 'out on Stacey as the last of her family leave her' and I thought 'oh, heck, lots of people leave Walford in a car!'"

Do you miss Rob Kazinsky?
    "Yeah. He was a bit of a joker and I miss him very much."

Does Jean miss Sean?
    "Oh yeah. There are always those things that you don't speak about in families, though, aren't there? There are so many families that could relate to the unspoken that everyone knows is there. For example, not mentioning someone's name or not mentioning the emotional baggage that's carried around with them. That's why I like that side of Jean. Sean's still very much in her mind."

Do you get recognised a lot while you're out?"I do quite often get asked if I'm alright while I'm out. Usually in the vegetable department of a supermarket! Even when I go out with a hat and sunglasses. I do wonder whether it's my chin that gives me away!"

What else is to come for Jean?
    "Well, she'll be getting a job which gives her a bit of confidence and she's reaching a more positive plateau in her life. The storyline that happens with Stacey puts Jean in a different place than the audience has seen her before. She starts forging her way through her situation and accepts some responsibility."

How much like Jean are you in real life?
    "I'm very different. Although it's slightly unnerving when you speak to someone over the phone or receive a delivery of a shed or something and they say 'I recognise your voice from somewhere…'"

How would you like to see Jean develop?
    "I would very much like to explore Jean's character that is outside being a mother that is always failing or the mother that's always a drain on Stacey. I was desperate to have a screen relationship and they brought in Richard Hope as Ted. It was a lovely little storyline and it was so refreshing to be playing Jean falling in love and worrying about her looks and her age."

Will Jean ever find love again?
    "I hope so! I'd like to think so anyway. There's a lot of scope."

How about Charlie? Although isn't he a relative?
    "Charlie's the brother of Brian, Jean's late husband…"

You could do a Peggy and switch brothers…
    "[Laughs]"

What's happened to Jean's cosmetics?
    "They went into the bin, never to be see again!"

Does she have a job yet?
    "She does have a job, yes... I don't know if I'm allowed to say. All I'll say is that there was a subtle clue during the huge Peggy and Archie wedding episode… I'll leave you guessing!"

Is there anything you're waiting for the storyliners to do with Jean?
    "I'd love for her to work behind the bar for a night or something. Putting her in positions where you wouldn't expect her to be. Or maybe doing a day taxi driving or a day on the switchboard!"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (29-04-2009), matt1378 (03-05-2009), Ruffed_lemur (29-04-2009)

Maybe something to do with flowers. Just before Archie n Peggy's wedding she was in the pub with Ian and was looking at the flowers that needed sorting out onto tables etc so maybe she might become a florist
    I figured out why I'm so fat!!! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body" on the bottle. I'm going to start using dishwasher liquid, cos it says "removes fat that is otherwise difficult to remove" on the bottle!

EastEnders star Gillian Wright has revealed that she thinks that her character has a unique bond with her daughter Stacey Branning.

The actress, who plays Jean Slater in the BBC One soap, admitted that their relationship goes a lot deeper than the pair both suffering from bipolar disorder.

Speaking to Inside Soap, she said: "Her relationship with Stacey is unique. Not just because they both live with bipolar disorder, either.

"There's a lot of comedy and they really care for each other. It's all a bit strange at times, but there's a huge amount of love as well."

Wright, who will leave Albert Square at the end of the year, added that she doesn't know how her character will exit the show, but said that she hopes to find "something different" for her next role.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (29-08-2010), Siobhan (30-08-2010), tammyy2j (31-08-2010)

I'll miss Jean and Stacey

Post Exclusive: Jean Slater to stay on 'EastEnders'

EastEnders star Gillian Wright has landed a new deal which will see her return to the BBC soap in the spring, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

Back in April, it was confirmed that the actress's character Jean Slater will be leaving Walford at the end of this year. The news emerged alongside the announcement that Wright's screen daughter Lacey Turner had decided to bow out from her role as Stacey.

However, in a surprise twist, the show's team have now created a comeback storyline for Jean - although details of how and why she will return to Albert Square are currently being kept closely under wraps.

An EastEnders spokesperson today told DS: "Jean Slater will leave Walford around the end of this year, however we're pleased to say she will return to our screens in spring 2011.

"Everyone knows Stacey will make a dramatic departure from Albert Square on Christmas Day, but we don't want to say too much about what this means for Jean at this point as we want viewers to enjoy the drama as it unfolds on screen."

Wright has played the role of Jean on and off since 2004, originally appearing as a minor cast member before later becoming a Walford regular. Her portrayal of Jean's bipolar disorder has received particular acclaim, including from the mental health charity Mind.

Earlier this year, the star told DS that her time with EastEnders has been "wonderful" and "a privilege".

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (05-12-2010), lizann (03-12-2010), matt1378 (28-11-2010), tammyy2j (26-11-2010)

I dont see the point of Jean staying without Stacey tbh

Stacey might come back sooner than expected, if her dream of making it big in Hollywood does not realise. The same would apply to her brother, not seen Rob Kazinsky on our screens since his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    ... not seen Rob Kazinsky on our screens since his departure.
    He's landed a decent role in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, so I don't think he'll be back in the square any time soon.

Yeh it is kinda strange to bring back Jean.

Thread Information