Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angie Appleton (Victoria Ekanoye)

Exclamation Angie Appleton (Victoria Ekanoye)

Bringing in an unknown family with no existing connections to the soap is always a risky move – so why not extend the clan of an existing and popular character. That’s what Coronation Street are lining up as Mary Taylor’s son Jude returns and brings with him his wife Angie and their baby son George.
    With the family of Mary set to be a long term fixture of the show, we decided to catch up with The Royals star Victoria Ekanoye, who has joined the soap as Mary’s daughter-in-law – and she is teasing tension ahead between the somewhat intense Mary and her own, feisty alter ego.
    In our Corrie chat, she also revealed her joy (and her mum’s!) at joining the well established show which is riding on such a high under boss Kate Oates and about to introduce a sixth episode and also assured us that while Angie is strong willed and says what she thinks, there is a lot more depth to her – and some funny scenes ahead as well as serious.

So what is Angie like as a character?
    She’s quite feisty and opinionated – and a little sarcastic! She really sticks up for what she believes in and isn’t fooled by anyone – but at the same time, she is very loving too. She does work and since becoming a mum, she misses that side of things and is eager to get back to that normality, but at the same time, she adores her baby and husband, she loves the family aspect.
    Corrie is all about strong women, is this what attracted you to the role?

Yeah, to me she is kind of like a warrior woman – that’s what I would like to be! I’d want to be able to have my career, my family life and my social life – I know that probably every woman would want that, but it’s not always possible. What attracted me to the role is that she is what I aspire to in the sense that she has it all together. She is very strong but she is cheeky with it – she has a bit of a play around, particularly with Norris so there is absolutely plenty of comedy too.
    How have your first few weeks been on Corrie?
    It’s completely different to anything I have done – it’s a lot faster pace. We can do maybe five episodes in two weeks and the script load is a lot bigger but it keeps you on your toes. it pushes me more as an actor. I know it’s cliche, but is genuinely feels like I am joining a big and loving family. Everyone is really on it here, it runs really well.
    There’s such a buzz around the show right now – it must be an exciting time to join?
    Yeah, my mum screamed and cried when she heard I got the role – and I kinda joined in! I was born up here and it’s an institution and has been for so long with all my family and friends so it’s so surreal to sit in the Rovers and look at these faces I saw on television as a child. I feel like all the hard work has really paid off because I couldn’t wish for it to be any better.
    Also, the fanbase is incredible and the demographic is huge – I can’t quite believe my luck! Everything’s going to go too well, what’s going to go wrong!? I just have to enjoy it!

Is Angie suspicious of Mary and Norris’ wedding plans?
    It’s not as much that she’s suspicious, she’s just observant because she is business minded and savvy so all of these micro-expressions going on between Norris and Mary, she picks up on them. Jude misses them as he is so overwhelmed to find her mum and suddenly he’s at her wedding – but Angie is observing what is going on in the dynamics between everybody and she picks up on little things. And then it all comes to a head…
    Mary then opens up about what happened with Jude’s dad. How does Angie respond to this?

Obviously Mary is basically a stranger but, on a human level, that reaction can’t be anything but sympathy or empathy. It’s just such a huge thing to go through and still be dealing with as I expect it is something that will never leave Mary, even if she tries to suppress. Angie is quite taken aback and tries to be as supportive as she can. But she also wants to support Jude because finding out that that happened to your mother is a really big thing for him. It turns everything on its head – she tries to be there as much as she can for both of them.
    Then Jude announces that they are moving to Weatherfield – how does this go down with Angie?
    (laughs) I’m not sure it’s quite the move she had in mind! They moved to South Africa for that better life and now they have a baby and she is very happy and content with everything and her job. This wasn’t her plan. There will be a little bit of tension but of course Mary is over the moon so that could cause even more friction between the whole mother and daughter in law relationship.
    Mary is quite an intense character and is likely to become involved with the family a great deal, including George’s upbringing. How will Angie deal with that?
    It’s going to be a big part of it – they’re two very strong women but who are quite different. In due course, they could actually make a formidable team but initially they will lock horns and this will leave Jude in the middle between his mother who he is just getting to know and his wife, who he is loyal to. They are both very strong and opinionated and usually say how they are feeling – so watch out for fireworks!
    What’s it like working with Malcolm Hebden and Patti Clare?

We laugh a lot more than we should! Malcolm absolutely cracks him up – sometimes I wonder if we will ever get the scenes done. Paddy (Wallace, who plays Jude) and I just feel so lucky that this is the family we are being brought into. Mary and Norris are such a great duo as it is so for them to be our family, I couldn’t ask for more. being the new family on the street with them is just incredible. There is a great dynamic between the four characters.
    It’s almost like the storyline is already running and we have just jumped on the rollercoaster and are going with it – it keeps you on your toes and there is a great chemistry between us four actors. And the baby who plays George is just adorable and we bonded quite quickly! He steals every scene, though, I’m not going to lie!
    Will you be sitting down to watch your first scenes?
    I think I am actually working on the Monday when my first episode goes out. I am hoping to get home on time to watch it live but if not, my mum’s going to record it and we will watch it together – and I am sure there will be tears and laughter.
    My mum is so excited – she has actually organised a party for next weekend! She’s invited about 40 or 50 people so I have no idea where everyone is going to sit but she is going to play the episode during the party! It’s going to be surreal but I am really looking forward to seeing it.
    Victoria makes her Corrie debut on Monday 21st August at 7:30pm on ITV as Mary and Norris’ wedding week kicks off.

metro.co.uk
    Last edited by Perdita; 21-08-2017 at 12:14.

Coronation Street’s Mary Taylor is going to find herself in hot water when medics spark concerns over her treatment of her grandson.
    Little George is rushed to hospital next week and the doctor questions Angie and Jude about his condition, noting he suffers a flare up whenever he spends time with Mary.
    At the hospital, Mary finds George in the baby room and parks herself next to his cot. As Jude and Angie row about Mary, they’re interrupted by the sound of the alarm in the baby room.
    Mary is ushered out whilst the doctors tend to George, outside Angie and Jude turn on her, demanding to know what she’s done to their son.
    Deeply upset, Mary assures them she would never harm him but Angie’s doesn’t believe her – is there more to this than meets the eye?
    One thing is for sure, Victoria Ekanoye, who plays Angie, says her alter ego is going to defend her son like a lioness…
    Angie and Jude go house hunting, are they looking for a permanent move in Weatherfield?
    They might be! At the moment they are staying with Norris and it’s a little bit cramped as you can imagine! And also, in the back of Angie’s mind, she wants to get her own place because at Norris’s, Mary can turn up at any time, unannounced, whereas she would have to ask if she wanted to come round to their own place.
    How hard has it been for Angie having to share Jude and George with Mary?
    Angie wants George to have his grandma around and for Jude to have his mum and for that all to be quite harmonious but it is also her first baby and she is missing out on all these important moments because Mary is constantly interrupting, in the way or taking over. It’s causing a rift between Jude and Angie because it’s Jude’s mum but Angie feels like he has only just met this woman and Jude’s loyalty and priority should be with her and George.
    What happens when Angie and Jude get to the hospital?
    The baby is really sick and even the professionals don’t know at this point what’s wrong. Mary is the common denominator – every time he is with her he gets sick. Someone looking from the outside in would deduce that she is the catalyst so that Angie thinks this isn’t really that far fetched. Also, the fact that she has moved away from her amazing life in South Africa makes her even more keen for it to be Mary’s fault because then maybe she will get her old life, her son and her husband back.
    What’s Angie’s reaction when the doctor tells her and Jude that George often flares up whenever he spends time with Mary?
    Angie feels justified in what she has been feeling. This has caused a rift between Jude and Angie so now she has a professional telling her that this is weird she thinks, “I am not going crazy, I told you,” hoping that Jude will understand and agree.
    This causes Jude and Angie to row about Mary, what happens next?
    As far as they know, Mary isn’t even around. The baby is being looked after in the baby room and they are arguing because as much as Jude probably does see the logic to Angie’s reasoning, it is still his mum. They are arguing so much and suddenly the alarm goes off and they realise that it’s the baby room. They run over and there are all these doctors rushing in to try and help the baby and Mary comes out.
    When Mary is ushered out whilst the doctors tend to George, what’s Angie’s first thoughts?
    ‘Get away from my child!’ She has a lioness approach to it; primitive, very visceral. She is so angry. Something Mary is doing is hurting her baby and even in hospital he is not safe from her.
    What do Jude and Angie decide to do?
    Whatever it is, Mary is the danger so Angie wants to eliminate her from her baby’s life because what is paramount is George’s health.
    What’s the best thing about working with Patti Clare?
    Patti makes my job really easy. She makes me hope that my mother in law is not like Mary which is brilliant! But I would be so privileged to have a mother in law like Patti. She’s very funny and smart, she’s got a really good energy. She’s a good egg.
    What reaction have viewers had about Angie so far?
    There’s been a mix actually which I was surprised about because I just assumed that, because Mary is such a well loved character and Patti is such a brilliant actress, everyone is going to hate Angie from the off. I get it though; it’s in the spirit of the show and if it starts conversation that means people care. Every now and again people are picking up that there is something going on with Angie, they can’t put their finger on it yet but it’s nice. People think it’s great to have a new dimension to Mary’s storyline.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...toria-ekanoye/

Her past will be explored .. can't wait ..

jude is pushing her to adam only a matter of time they getting it on office table

He has been boring from day one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Perdita (17-08-2018)

Coronation Street's Angie Appleton leaves her husband Jude devastated next week by deciding to end their marriage.

The couple have been on the rocks for weeks now, but viewers will see Angie finally bite the bullet after an emotional heart-to-heart with Adam Barlow (Samuel Robertson).

Realising that she's getting nowhere with marriage counselling, Angie tells Adam that her relationship is beyond repair and she sees no future with Jude (Paddy Wallace).

Returning home later on, Angie tells Jude that she wants them to break up – but his reaction isn't what you might expect as there's another twist in the works.

Just prior to Angie's announcement, Jude has discovered that his mum Mary Taylor (Patti Clare) is planning a secret vow renewal for him and his wife.

After some initial doubts, Jude optimistically gets on board with the idea. Even when he hears that Angie wants to split up, he deludes himself into thinking that the romantic vow renewal could change her mind.

When Jude asks Angie to wait one more day before going public with their split, will she agree? If so, she has no idea what she's getting herself into...

Jude Appleton gets anxious over Mary Taylor's plan in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Victoria Ekanoye, who plays Angie, revealed: "She doesn't realise how deluded and in denial Jude is at all. So this is why it comes as such a massive blow to her. It's almost like she is being railroaded and forced to stay within a relationship that she doesn't want to be in... it's scary!

"She wants to break away but as kindly as possible. Never in a million years does she think it's going to be a vow renewal, because she just can't believe that Jude would be so stupid to think that would be the next step after everything."

Asked how Angie will react to Mary and Jude's antics, Victoria replied: "She won't be angry with Mary, because she will just think that is Mary being Mary. Ultimately like any mother would, Mary just wants her son to be happy.

"But to Jude, I think she will feel utter rage because it is entrapment. All of it is under false pretence and over nothing, they've broken up!"

Digital Spy

We spoke to Victoria Ekanoye about the state of Angie’s marriage and find out whether there's a chance of reconciliation with Jude on the horizon...

How does Angie feel about Jude now he’s training to be a paramedic, has it had the desired effect he hoped for?

It’s not necessarily that he’s training to be a paramedic, it’s the fact that he’s doing something with his life and he feels real. It feels like there’s no more deceit and he’s finally manning up which is what she wants because she’s had to wear the trousers for so long. What she wants more than anything is that family unit and she’s hoping that this could turn things around.

It’s not about the job, it’s about him showing initiative and working to keep the family unit together which is her priority.

So is Angie starting to thaw towards Jude, could the marriage be saved?

Yes, I think she’s looking at him in ways she used to look at him before all this started. Drive, ambition and passion are all attractive qualities, together with the fact that he’s a great dad to George. Angie wonders maybe this is the missing piece of the puzzle and despite how much he’s hurt her maybe they can build on this and get the trust back. It looks like he’s willing to make a change so maybe there is a way forward. There was a time when Angie was madly in love with Jude and those feelings are still there if she can find them again.

Angie went on a date with someone else last week, is that really what she wants?

I think the date was a knee-jerk reaction, her trying to kid herself that she can plaster over everything and move on. But ultimately it was never going to end well, she’s still emotionally attached to Jude and they haven’t resolved anything in their marriage.

With her feelings for Jude reignited, how would she feel if she found out he’d been lying to her again?

I think that would be the end for Angie, everybody makes mistakes and there are certain things you can forgive but I think if she found out he was lying again there wouldn’t be any way back. He saw the consequences of his actions the first time and after they talked it out if he chose to do the same thing again it would show he had no intention of changing. She made a lot of sacrifices for Jude by moving to Weatherfield and he seems to have made none. If she finds out he’s been lying again it would be the final blow.

Mary has been very blinkered about Jude, how do you think she would feel if the scales were to fall from her eyes?

I think if Mary is to find out about Jude’s lies it could impact on Mary more than Angie. Angie’s dealt with this before and would have to accept this is just who he is whereas Mary still has her rose-tinted glasses on. Mary’s only just got her son back, and the family unit, and she wants everything to be perfect. I think Angie’s heart would really go out to Mary.

Is there a darker side to Jude, does Angie really know what he’s capable of?

I think sometimes she wonders ‘who is this man I married, he lied so easily every single day for two years, do I really know him?’ He’s not the man she thought she married, for this to work they would have to go back to scratch and start again. I don’t think she really knows who he is or what he’s capable of.

When Jude wins the Good Samaritan Award Angie is still oblivious to his lies, is she proud of him?

She’s so proud and elated that despite what her idiot husband has done, look at what he’s achieved, he saved a life and that’s a massive deal. He’s turning things around, training in such a worthwhile job, and on top of how good he is with George it just makes Angie think that everything is falling back into place. It’s a really big deal for her.

Have you enjoyed working on this story and exploring Jude and Angie’s marriage and what makes them tick?

Once the trust is broken it’s really difficult to fix, I don’t know how Angie is still there but one of the things I’ve loved is playing against how I would act naturally. She’s very bitter and angry at times and that’s never how I would be, it doesn’t solve anything. Sometimes I dislike Angie and that’s what makes her great to play. Yes she can be hard at times but I think it’s self preservation.

I love working with Patti and Paddy and having the chance to flesh out the characters. We did the comedy section with Jude’s fake workmates which was hilarious so then to also get to play the drama and the heartache has been really good.

ITV
    Last edited by Perdita; 22-10-2018 at 12:07.

Coronation Street has confirmed that Angie Appleton will be leaving the show in the New Year.

Brand new spoiler pictures show the moment that Angie waves goodbye to Weatherfield, deciding that it's time for a fresh start after her recent split from her husband Jude.

Scenes airing on Monday, January 7 see Mary Taylor (Patti Clare) bid a tearful farewell to Angie and baby George as they leave for South Africa.

It's a heartbreaking moment for Mary as she sees them off in a taxi as they depart for the airport.

Mary Taylor and Angie Appleton say goodbye in Coronation Street

Angie's decision to leave follows the resolution to the Jude storyline, which airs next week.

Next Monday's double bill sees Mary and her friend Roy Cropper track Jude down at a B&B in Blackpool.

Although Mary is excited to see her son, it soon becomes clear that he's back to his old tricks as he has a new girlfriend and is telling her that he's a doctor called "Ken Barlow".

Paddy Wallace, who plays Jude, has also left Corrie and the Blackpool scenes will be his final ones for the show.

Victoria Ekanoye has been appearing on our screens as Angie since August 2017.

Coronation Street airs Angie's exit on Monday, January 7 at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (29-12-2018), tammyy2j (30-12-2018)

Not going to miss her or Jude ...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (29-12-2018), parkerman (29-12-2018), tammyy2j (30-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...toria-ekanoye/

Her past will be explored .. can't wait ..
    did i miss this or was it scrapped?

Thread Information