Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by LauBuch View Post
    My favourite thing about Gilly is the need she has to pick out any spelling or grammar mistakes (despite hers being far from perfect) and when she deletes anyones comments who dare challenge her petition on Kate coming back.
    So true! Doesn't she have better things to do with her time?

​It's a Neighbours rule that if you hang around Paul Robinson for long enough, you'll probably turn into a bit of a sod. Now it's the turn of his good-natured nephew Daniel, who's one to watch in 2016 as he starts sporting a new look, a new attitude and turns his back on some of those New Age hippy ideals.

The Ramsay Street residents are shocked next month when Daniel becomes much more cut-throat and career-driven after starting work at Lassiters, but is his old self still in there somewhere? Tim Phillipps, who plays Daniel, explains all here in a chat with Digital Spy.

How do you feel about Daniel becoming more ruthless next year?

"I think it's an important change that had to happen for Daniel's development. He's always been a positive person, and I don't think that goes away in this storyline.

"But Daniel has been under Paul's guidance for a long time now. It's made him start to understand some really important life messages about how sometimes you've got to take more risks, be more ruthless and push a little harder. It's all part of Daniel's evolution as a character."

Neighbours always seem really open to ideas from the cast. Did you push the writers in this direction?

"Yeah, I think so. A while ago I spoke to one of the head writers and asked for Daniel to have a bit more status in the community. It's all very well wanting to set up communes and do everything for positive reasons, but I wanted to man him up a bit. The best way to do that was by giving Daniel some career ambition. That gains him a bit of respect from people, I think."

Do you think the fans will miss the 'goody two shoes' Daniel?

"I think they'll find him more interesting to watch now, to be honest. For anybody who likes Daniel's good-natured qualities, they're all still there in the long-run. There is a little patch where his morals start to be questioned, but in general he's still the same positive guy. He's just got a little bit more toughness now."

Neighbours star Tim Phillipps gets a haircut
    © Instagram @timphillipps
    Daniel shocks the locals early in the New Year by shaving all his hair off. Was that a sacrifice you made for the storyline?

"I really wanted to do it for myself, so the writers added it into the scripts as part of the storyline. It actually ties in really well with everything that's going on with Daniel in the next few months."

His new career is working at the Lassiters hotel, isn't it?

"Yeah, once things have fallen apart with the real estate, Daniel needs to find a new direction. He decides to go back into the hotel business because he's managed to pick up the ropes from Paul and wants to make a real go of it this time."

Would you like Daniel to become a mini-Paul?

"I would love that, but I don't think Daniel is ever going to do the awful things that Paul does. I'd love him to be a crusader, but a good and honest one who brings down the bad people. That's almost the opposite of Paul, but I want him to be as strong-willed and street smart as Paul is."

Are you hoping that Daniel and Imogen will work things out in the New Year?

"Yeah, I think the relationship between them is really good. They started out as friends and it blossomed into a really nice relationship. I think they've still got some future ahead..."

Are you excited about the UK broadcasts finally catching up with Australia?

"Really excited. From a strategical point of view, it makes so much sense. We were always doing things in line with Australia in terms of our Easter and Christmas storylines, but we'll be matched up now. There's no point in being 2 weeks apart - we may as well just all be in it together and do everything at the same time. I think it's a great move."

A lot of the younger cast are hoping to break into the US, but you've already worked over there on shows like Once Upon A Time. Do you ever miss it?

"No, I'm loving my life here in Australia too much to miss anything else. I do feel like I'm in my second home when I take a trip back to Los Angeles, but for the most part I'm just happy to be home in Australia. Getting to work every day as an actor just trumps it all. I'd definitely love to stay at Neighbours for longer - there's a lot more that Daniel can offer."

We know you're good friends with your on-screen cousin Pippa Black, who's still over in the US. Have you ever cheekily asked her to come back so Daniel can meet Elle Robinson?

"I don't know if I have tried hard enough. I did mention it to her when I was in LA a few months ago. We fantasised about how cool it would be for Daniel and Elle to have scenes together, but maybe I should have tried to press a little harder!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-12-2015), Pantherboy (01-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

Neighbours always seem really open to ideas from the cast. Did you push the writers in this direction?

"Yeah, I think so. A while ago I spoke to one of the head writers and asked for Daniel to have a bit more status in the community. It's all very well wanting to set up communes and do everything for positive reasons, but I wanted to man him up a bit. The best way to do that was by giving Daniel some career ambition. That gains him a bit of respect from people, I think."
    Man up? Really? A man who is sensitive, cares about the environment, the community and those around him makes him not manly? Really not impressed by that comment!
    As for the respect from people, don't know about anyone else, but someone doing a job they don't truly enjoy and are only really doing out of guilt, doesn't impress me.
    Bring back the old Daniel!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LauBuch For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-12-2015), Pantherboy (01-01-2016), Summer8 (07-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LauBuch View Post
    Man up? Really? A man who is sensitive, cares about the environment, the community and those around him makes him not manly? Really not impressed by that comment!
    As for the respect from people, don't know about anyone else, but someone doing a job they don't truly enjoy and are only really doing out of guilt, doesn't impress me.
    Bring back the old Daniel!
    I totally agree, LauBuch!
    Last edited by Dazzle; 31-12-2015 at 20:09.

Daniel and Imogen back together and Piper and Tyler too

Last edited by Perdita; 08-01-2016 at 15:33.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

binky321 (08-01-2016), Dazzle (08-01-2016), Pantherboy (09-01-2016), Summer8 (12-01-2016)

Neighbours star Tim Phillipps has explained his shock exit from the show, admitting that it wasn't his choice to leave his role as Daniel Robinson.

Viewers will see the actor bow out following a two-year stint next week, as Daniel leaves Ramsay Street for a new life in Los Angeles with Imogen Willis.

The couple will tie the knot before they leave Erinsborough, giving the Willis clan some much-deserved happiness following the tragic deaths of Josh and Doug.

"The decision wasn't mine - the producers wanted Daniel and Imogen to leave together," Phillipps told Inside Soap of his departure.

"So much negative stuff had happened that the show wanted something positive to come out of it - so with Imogen going, the only real option was for Daniel to go too.

"I think the writers also wanted to create a parallel with Daniel leaving Ramsay Street after getting married, just like his parents Scott and Charlene did."

Phillipps said that he is "really glad Daniel is still alive" following a deadly few weeks in Erinsborough, as it gives him the chance to possibly return in the future.

Asked what's next for him, he replied: "Just back on the audition circuit. In the past, I've been eager to jump into the next job - but for now I'm happy to take my time and let the right role come along. Oh, and I also have a wedding to plan!"

Phillipps announced that he was engaged to his girlfriend Jessica Lee Rose in March.

Digital Spy

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

badirene (19-04-2016), Dazzle (19-04-2016), Pantherboy (19-04-2016), Ruffed_lemur (19-04-2016), Summer8 (19-04-2016), tammyy2j (19-04-2016), Vikki (19-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Neighbours star Tim Phillipps has explained his shock exit from the show, admitting that it wasn't his choice to leave his role as Daniel Robinson.

Viewers will see the actor bow out following a two-year stint next week, as Daniel leaves Ramsay Street for a new life in Los Angeles with Imogen Willis.

The couple will tie the knot before they leave Erinsborough, giving the Willis clan some much-deserved happiness following the tragic deaths of Josh and Doug.

"The decision wasn't mine - the producers wanted Daniel and Imogen to leave together," Phillipps told Inside Soap of his departure.

"So much negative stuff had happened that the show wanted something positive to come out of it - so with Imogen going, the only real option was for Daniel to go too.

"I think the writers also wanted to create a parallel with Daniel leaving Ramsay Street after getting married, just like his parents Scott and Charlene did."

Phillipps said that he is "really glad Daniel is still alive" following a deadly few weeks in Erinsborough, as it gives him the chance to possibly return in the future.

Asked what's next for him, he replied: "Just back on the audition circuit. In the past, I've been eager to jump into the next job - but for now I'm happy to take my time and let the right role come along. Oh, and I also have a wedding to plan!"

Phillipps announced that he was engaged to his girlfriend Jessica Lee Rose in March.

Digital Spy
    That's weird a bit as usually the young actors get 3 years contracts on Neighbours. Why Tim's contract is different?

Quote Originally Posted by eni294 View Post
    That's weird a bit as usually the young actors get 3 years contracts on Neighbours. Why Tim's contract is different?
    From what I've read, those contracts are weighted in the production team's favour, so if they decide to get rid of a character they can. I think the three year contracts are really just to keep the actors in the show for three years (or as long as the producers want them) rather than to guarantee them a job for three years. So that might be what's happened to Tim.

I'm annoyed because Daniel was a good character (at least until they made him boring) and Tim's a decent actor. He shouldn't have to leave just because his onscreen partner wants to go. So many of the younger characters see Neighbours as a stepping stone to Hollywood and depart as soon as they can, so to get rid of a popular young actor who doesn't want to leave is nonsensical.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 19-04-2016 at 13:25.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

eni294 (19-04-2016), Pantherboy (19-04-2016), Perdita (19-04-2016), Summer8 (19-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    From what I've read, those contracts are weighted in the production team's favour, so if they decide to get rid of a character they can. I think the three year contracts are really just to keep the actors in the show for three years (or as long as the producers want them) rather than to guarantee them a job for three years. So that might be what's happened to Tim.

I'm annoyed because Daniel was a good character (at least until they made him boring) and Tim's a decent actor. He shouldn't have to leave just because his onscreen partner wants to go. So many of the younger characters see Neighbours as a stepping stone to Hollywood and depart as soon as they can, so to get rid of a popular young actor who doesn't want to leave is nonsensical.
    It does seem like a strange decision! I get that they want to have a happy storyline, but after the explosion they didn't really need to put them back together, they could have departed on good terms.
    I reckon they've cut him because Daniel doesn't stand out anymore. His old personality did, but now he's just lost in the crowd, which is a shame. It seemed they were trying to make him a less evil version of Paul and it totally backfired.
    I don't imagine Travis Burns sticking around much longer, so that's another young one gone and it does seem strange for them to cut someone so young, who seems to have wanted to really make a dent on the show and wants to stay, it doesn't make sense.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LauBuch For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-04-2016), lizann (19-04-2016), Pantherboy (19-04-2016)

I'm glad Tim has confirmed this, although I thought it anyway. Rubbish idea IMO though! Hope he returns at some point, probably divorced.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Vikki (19-04-2016)

Thread Information