Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheila Canning

'Neighbours' Colette Mann: 'Things get really bad for Sheila'

Neighbours' UK fans will see a whole new side to Sheila Canning this fortnight as she starts suffering from anxiety following a frightening encounter.

Sheila is chasing after a sleepwalking Chris Pappas (James Mason) one night when she is hassled by an unsavoury guy, whose behaviour leaves her deeply shaken.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Colette Mann, who plays Sheila, to hear more about the storyline and life behind the scenes at Neighbours.

Are you still enjoying your time on Neighbours?
    "I really love it. The role has come along at a really good time in my life. I do love to work, so I'm very lucky to have this job and to work with such gorgeous people. We laugh all the time. Even today, I had a really long day but most of it was spent laughing. A bit of time I was doing some acting, but mostly I was laughing!

"I get on amazingly well with the young people on the show, and some of the older people I've worked with so much before. I never felt like I was a new person coming into the show, as they accepted me straight away. I really love going to work, and that's a great thing to have, isn't it?"

Are you happy with the way Sheila's character is developing?
    "I'm really liking the way the character is now fitting in, and I feel like I have a hold of her. Today I was doing some scenes and the crew were laughing at me - which is what they usually do, sometimes when I'm trying to do my dramatic work! There was a line in the script and the crew asked, 'Was that your line or did they put that one in for you?' I do ad-lib a lot, but in this case it was an actual written line. The cameraman said, 'They're starting to get you - they're starting to write just like you talk!' That's really great."

What kind of response have you seen to the character of Sheila?
    "I just thought I was going to pop in for six weeks, play the doting grandmother and then I'd disappear behind a bush in Ramsay Street and never be seen again! But from the first six weeks, even though nothing had gone to air, the producers said, 'No, no, we want to keep you'.

"It was nearly four months before my first scenes went to air that year, and I didn't expect anybody to really notice, even in Australia. But it's extraordinary that the recognition factor is almost as strong as it was when I was in Prisoner. That's saying something, because when Prisoner first started in Australia, it was like we were rock stars.

"I'm not saying that's exactly how it is now, but lots and lots of young people watch the show and talk to me in the supermarket as if I'm Sheila. Mostly they want to know about my grandson, they're not that interested in me! But I'm really thrilled that she's been so accepted.

"They also taught us all how to do Twitter at work, and I'm just amazed at how many UK fans I've got. One minute I had four followers and now I've got a few thousand. That's really exciting."

Do the younger cast members approach you for advice on set?
    "Yes, a great deal. Another thing that I do is teaching - I'm Head of Acting at a school called Patrick Studios Australia, and we run a music theatre course for kids who want to go into musicals. I did a great deal of theatre before I joined Neighbours.

"A lot of the kids at Neighbours now come to me if they have problems with scenes. They do have two drama coaches who work on the show, but sometimes they will ask me questions too. Some of them are also auditioning for things overseas at the moment, so they will come and have private lessons with me at home where I'll help them through some of their scenes.

"Jackie Woodburne (Susan Kennedy) actually said to me today that I've become the mother of the green room, because the kids come and speak to me about their love lives! I think, 'Oh look, I've had two marriages and I wasn't good at either of them, why are they asking me?!' But I think it's just because I'm the oldest there so they think, 'She must know something'. It's also because I tell them I know everything, so that helps! (Laughs.)

"I'm very fond of all the young kids. I had a scene today with that gorgeous Calen MacKenzie who plays Bailey, and I just love him. I love Harley Bonner who plays Josh Willis, James Mason who plays Chris Pappas, and of course I love my grandson. I have three sons of my own, so it's nothing to have a few more 'sons'! The girls are all gorgeous too. What's great is that the kids respect me and they don't treat me like an old fuddy-duddy."

What can you tell us about Sheila's anxiety storyline?
    "This story came along after one of those many story meetings that we have. I know that I was brought into the show to provide some comedy, and I enjoy that very much. But at one meeting, everyone was getting very dramatic storylines - whether it's having somebody else's baby, being run over, or killing somebody. I said, 'How come nothing like this ever happens to Sheila?!' They all just looked at me and I said, 'Why can't we find out that she's a man or something?!' (Laughs.)

"Anyway, they came up with this idea that Sheila should have a dramatic storyline. It's tied up with Chris's story, as he's taking his break-up with Hudson really badly. He starts taking sleeping tablets and they cause him to sleepwalk. On the very coldest night on record in Melbourne, I ended up chasing around after him in a nightie, a flimsy dressing gown and a pair of Ugg boots which I demanded I have!

"While Sheila is chasing after Chris, a man pulls up in a car and tries to solicit her, which she doesn't take very well. She thinks it's just one of those things, but she reacts quite badly three or four days later, when it starts to play on her mind."

How do things progress from there?
    "Well, because we're a 6.30pm show over here, there are restrictions with what we can do. Naturally they couldn't have the guy touch me or approach me or anything, but I said, 'Look, this is all a bit silly. Sheila is a tough old nut so she'd probably just tell him to get lost and keep walking!'

"There wasn't much we could do about it because of the restrictions, so then we decided that it will come out further in a story, much later on, that this reminded her of a time when a much worse thing happened to her. Back when she was younger and managing the hotels in Frankston, she was attacked by two men in the back car park. So there's a second layer of the story which will come out in three or four months' time.

"What happens first is that Sheila thinks she's alright, but then she starts to have flashbacks. It becomes really bad for her, because she doesn't want to talk about it. The story we're trying to get across is that it's best to share these things."

We asked for reader questions, and lots of people mentioned wanting to see Sheila and Lou together…
    "Oh no, that can't happen! (Laughs.) I think Sheila and Lou are better when they're fighting, to be honest. It's a funnier scenario, and I did play Tom Oliver's partner in 1996 for eight weeks when I took over from Caroline Gillmer as Cheryl Stark when she was ill. I've already done the kissing scenes with Tom Oliver, and I think we're both past that now!

"They did bring in Walter, who was Sonya's pretend uncle, played by the gorgeous Chris Haywood. I really, really enjoyed that, but then he turned out to be a bit of a rotter, because nobody can be very happy in Erinsborough for too long, you might have noticed! But as I've said to a number of people since my second marriage broke up, a girl doesn't have to have a bloke to be happy. Sheila is quite happy on her own. I like that she's quite independent.

"I was actually called into the office one day because I'd done a scene with Ryan Moloney and Alan Fletcher, who play Toadie and Karl, and the producers said that I'd gone a little bit too girly and flirty with them! I said, 'Well I did that on purpose!' but apparently I have to rein it in when it's Karl Kennedy and Toadie. Of course, now if I do a scene with Ryan, he does everything he can to flirt with me because he knows we've been told not to do it!"

After starring as Doreen Burns in Prisoner, are you a fan of the remake Wentworth?
    "Yes, and I was lucky enough to be part of the show's launch over here. A number of us from Prisoner saw the first episode before anyone else, and they've honoured us greatly. I think it's a brilliant series. They've just started shooting the second series, and it'll be even bigger and better than the first one. There's some fabulous new people coming into the show, as well as the old ones."

Would you like to pay a visit to the UK, as a lot of your colleagues have done for publicity trips?
    "Oh yes, what can we do to organise that, do you think? I think it will happen, because I've got some really good storylines coming up. It usually has to coincide with when you have a big storyline on air, but I would love to come to London.

"I did Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in Australia for two and a half years and was also offered the last 12 months of the London run, but I had other commitments in Australia which we couldn't work around. I was in the UK for about three months in 2002 working at Shakespeare's Globe. I loved it and I'd really love to come back."

Chris's housemate Sheila Canning also has problems ahead on Neighbours as she becomes anxious and paranoid following a frightening late-night encounter.

When a troubled Chris goes off sleepwalking on the streets of Erinsborough, Sheila (Colette Mann) is forced to follow him late at night in order to get him back. However, she is terrified when a strange guy pulls up in his car and starts hassling her, inviting her inside and refusing to take no for an answer.

Although Sheila is quick to insist that the incident was no big deal, she panics a few days later when she thinks she sees a man taking photos of her.

Wrongly jumping to the conclusion that it's the same guy who scared her, Sheila loses her temper and deliberately breaks his camera, branding him a stalker.

A stranger takes photos near Sheila
    © Channel 5
    A stranger takes photos near Sheila

Sheila grabs the man's camera
    © Channel 5
    Sheila grabs the man's camera

Sheila sees the man's pictures
    © Channel 5
    Sheila sees the man's pictures

Sheila smashes the camera
    © Channel 5
    Sheila smashes the camera

Sheila rebukes the stranger for his behaviour
    © Channel 5
    Sheila rebukes the stranger for his behaviour

Unfortunately for Sheila, the police soon arrive to deal with her following a complaint from the man, who is merely a mature age student doing a photography course. Sheila has made a big mistake…

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, November 6 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Neighbours will give viewers their first glimpse of Kyle Canning's father Gary when Sheila meets up with him in secret.

Scenes airing in Australia next week will see Sheila (Colette Mann) spring into action after receiving mystery text messages which ask for her help.

Sheila appears distracted and secretive after receiving the messages and later arouses Kyle's suspicions when he finds out that she has an envelope of money stashed away in her handbag.

Although Sheila is quick to think of an excuse, Kyle doesn't believe her story and later gets the shock of his life when he sees her handing over the cash to his father Gary in a secret meeting.

Christopher Milligan, who plays Kyle, told Digital Spy: "When Kyle sees his grandmother acting weird and shifty, he starts to worry straight away.

"The money falls out of Sheila's purse and she says that it's tips from the bar, but he really doesn't believe that because he knows she's not that popular!

"Kyle and Georgia start following Sheila around to see what's going on and then Kyle sees her handing the money over to a man. He thinks it's his dad but he's not actually sure, because it has been 16 years."

The storyline will lead to Kyle finally being reunited with his father, who is joining Ramsay Street for a guest stint.

Milligan told Digital Spy earlier this month: "The good thing about Gary is that he is Sheila's son, Naomi's brother and Kyle's dad, so he can be involved with everyone. It was very interesting for the weeks that he was with us, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the episodes myself.

"Gary left when Kyle was 8 and he has never spoken to him or seen him since. That was 16 years ago. At first Kyle doesn't quite know whether to hit him or hug him!"

Neighbours airs these scenes next week on Eleven in Australia and late November on Channel 5 in the UK.
    Last edited by Perdita; 27-10-2014 at 05:59.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

blue2 (27-10-2014)

Sheila Canning

Sheila Canning (Colette Mann) will suffer the medical emergency after making a shocking discovery about her estranged son Gary.

As previously revealed, Gary is the estranged father of Kyle and son of Sheila, and will be joining Ramsay Street for a guest stint.

Although Gary attempts to make amends for his troubled past, it will soon become apparent that he is not all he seems.
    When a former flame of Terese Willis's is attacked, it is clear that Gary is behind the nasty crime. However, just as he is about to flee Erinsborough, Sheila overhears a conversation and realises her son was responsible.

After confronting Gary and forcing him to admit the truth, Sheila is left devastated when he flees the house.

However, as she goes to ring the police, Sheila is overcome by a pain in her chest and collapses to the floor, suffering a massive heart attack.

Source: Digital Spy

Sheila Canning

Sheila Canning (Colette Mann) will suffer the medical emergency after making a shocking discovery about her estranged son Gary.

As previously revealed, Gary is the estranged father of Kyle and son of Sheila, and will be joining Ramsay Street for a guest stint.

Although Gary attempts to make amends for his troubled past, it will soon become apparent that he is not all he seems.
    When a former flame of Terese Willis's is attacked, it is clear that Gary is behind the nasty crime. However, just as he is about to flee Erinsborough, Sheila overhears a conversation and realises her son was responsible.

After confronting Gary and forcing him to admit the truth, Sheila is left devastated when he flees the house.

However, as she goes to ring the police, Sheila is overcome by a pain in her chest and collapses to the floor, suffering a massive heart attack.

Source: Digital Spy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirjam For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (06-11-2014)

Heart-stopping discovery
    Sheila suffers a massive heart attack after learning the truth about her wicked son Gary. Will she survive?

Gary Canning's recent but unexpected decision to reach out to his mother Sheila after years of estrangement has completely rattled the now-frightened woman, enough to nervously dissuade her grandson Kyle from blindly reconciling his differences with Gary, fearful that her son only has nefarious intentions for his own offspring.

Further disconcerted by Gary's (Damian Richardson) subsequent story explaining his abandonment of his family years ago, a protective Sheila (Colette Mann) begs Brennan (Scott McGregor) to discreetly investigate her son's claims and is tentatively relieved when the story checks out.

Although pleased to see her son and grandson bonding, Sheila remains wary of Gary, who goes out of his way to assure her that he only wants what's best for Kyle (Chris Milligan).

However, the newfound family harmony is mysteriously shattered when Naomi (Morgana O'Reilly) is reunited with Gary, only for Sheila's blatant favouritism of him to antagpnise Naomi's long-buried hatred for her brother.

Getting Gary alone and wanting Sheila to see her son's true colours, Naomi challenges Gary to reveal everything about his dark past, a truth that only both of them know!

When another incident occurs, Naomi is given the impetus to make more damning accusations against her siblilng.

Sufficently riled by her daughter's outburst, Sheila goes to comfort Gary only to stumble onto the truth.

When a wily Gary is able to placate his mother with more likes, he moves forward with his own plans, seeking dangerous work with some unsavoury employers. When it soon becomes clear that Gary is culpable in the violent assault on Terese's (Rebekah Elmaloglouo) manacing ex-flame Ezra Hanley, Gary's dance with the dark side turns even uglier as Christmas Day dawns.

Accepting payment for the assault services rendered, Gary prepares to flee Erinsborough, unaware that a horrified Sheila has overheard the entire incriminating exchange.

Conflicted over the discovery, Sheila privately accosts Gary and forces him to admit the terrible truth. When her pleas for him to surrender fall on deaf ears and Gary flees the house, a troubled Sheila reaches for the phone. As she dials Triple 0 to report her son to the police, Sheila is overcome with excruciating pain and collapses to the floor, suffering a massive heart attack. Has she taken her last breath?

Source: Soap World December 2014

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gillyH1981 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (06-11-2014)

Does Terese have a fling with Gary?

she better be ok, sheila is a hoot

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-11-2014), tammyy2j (14-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Does Terese have a fling with Gary?
    It looks like Terese has an encounter with her ex Ezra Hanley, and later Kyles Dad Gary beats him up. I don`t know whether it`s a one stand with Terese and Ezra or what as I haven't seen this weeks Neighbours yet. I`m saving them up for a weekend marathon episode watch of H&A and Neighbours while I catch up on more knitting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (14-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    It looks like Terese has an encounter with her ex Ezra Hanley, and later Kyles Dad Gary beats him up. I don`t know whether it`s a one stand with Terese and Ezra or what as I haven't seen this weeks Neighbours yet. I`m saving them up for a weekend marathon episode watch of H&A and Neighbours while I catch up on more knitting.
    From TV Soap released on Thursday, 29th November

Paul's job for Gary is simple: deliver a brutal message to Ezra, the dodgy business associate who is suing Paul and Terese (Rebekah Elmaloglou).

Gary performs his role to perfection, viciously bashing Ezra and escaping any police suspicion for doing so. In fact, Brad Willis (Kip Gamblin) quickly becomes firms as the police's main suspect. As Christmas Day arrives in Erinsborough, Paul arranges to pay off Gary for the bashing and then encourages him to leave town as quickly as possible.

Little do Paul and Gary know, however, that Sheila listens in on their covert conversation. Shocked to uncover her son's deception, Sheila soon confronts Gary about his deallings with Paul. Gary is forced to admit the truth, prompting Sheila to tell him to turn himself.

Gary has other ideas, as Sheila later catches him planning to do a runner. Appaulled by his actions, Sheila warns Gary that if he leaves she she will call the police.

Despite Sheila's threat, Gary takes off in a hurry but justas Sheila is about to dial triple zero, she clutches her chest as she suffers a massive heart attack. Home alone and with no-one around to help her, will Sheila survive?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillyH1981 For This Useful Post:

ana4eva (17-11-2014), TaintedLove (14-11-2014)

Thread Information