for their paper and may over- exaggerate /concoct
    to do that. So might read them but not necessarily
    believe. Same with posters opinions- they are
    usually interesting and often.think.they are
    better than the official.storyline- but they are
    personal opinions- as is this!!

Is there an official.definition of a \"spoiler\" anyonr
    please ?
    I looked this up and found that many dictionaries have a definition for the term 'spoiler' relating to the context of the use of by this soapboards' forum.

One example is Oxforddictionaries.com which defines 'spoiler' as:

'A description of an important plot development in a television show, film, or book which if previously known may reduce surprise or suspense for a first-time viewer or reader.'

Source:
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...nglish/spoiler

(What follows are my thoughts and opinions.)

So, a spoiler does just that, it spoils the story for the viewer as there is then no alternative storyline for the film/programme/book to follow and the viewer is not able to use guesswork and imagination throughout the viewing experience to think about possible outcomes for the ending.

A good example is for the film 'The Sixth Sense'. Someone who sees this for the first time, and who doesn't know the ending beforehand, will have a very different viewing experience throughout the film and during the climax at the end than someone who has been told the ending spoiler before the film starts.

Official sources (like TV programmes Press Office, professional media outlets, reputable newspapers and magazines) are one type of source of spoilers which are likely to be true, but beware of incomplete and ambiguous statements.

TV journalists very often include quoted speech from actor interviews and these are another source of spoilers which are likely to be true, especially if the actor is someone reputable and quoting something which they have done or seen already in the past.

Sometimes a journalist will include his/her own comment which sounds more like fact rather than opinion and will give away a spoiler like this and which is more likely to be true than not. For example, whether it was intended to or not, the chatty journalist comment 'Michael and Anthony are busy boys on-set these days after the fall-out from the wedding revelations continue for Pete and Ross' published in Sunday World on 16-08-15, blew the secrecy for the storyline that Ross was not dead in the woods but would be returning alive to Emmerdale in due course.

Sometimes a journalist will suggest what sounds like a spoiler but is instead an unanswered question. 'Speaking of Bob, are his feelings for Harriet purely platonic?' (metro.co.uk, 03-09-15). Suggestions like this may or may not have a possible future and need further information and reader experience to decide upon, otherwise they remain unanswered, ambiguous and a source of unsubstantiated gossip.**

Personal opinions (such as from members of the public, twitter, facebook, message boards) can be good or poor sources of spoilers. Good ones are those based on fact and experience and which have had some thought given to using them to predict the storyline. Poor ones are often those based on random guesses and personal desires, such as whether a character is liked/disliked. The personal opinion might also come across as being not definite or even be ambiguous. Spoilers from personal opinions can be useful or misleading and need further information and reader experience to decide upon.

Fake spoilers are made up and usually come from lack of knowledge or from some motive intended to deliberately deceive. Often, fake spoilers are so incredible and unlikely to happen that they are quickly noticed by some regular fans as being out of character for the programme/film/book. Anything ambiguous or inconsistent is a bad sign. It is much easier in life to tell the truth than to remember a lie, so liars and fakers usually get found out after a while as they grow careless and over-confident and give out far too much information which then doesn't match previous claims or the genuine claims from reliable sources. Mike Parr is a classic recent example of this, as a simple over-confident ambiguous one-line twitter comment blew him apart when analysed by myself. BTW, Mike Parr re-appeared as Ross on Emmerdale on Tuesday 25-08-15. Mike Parr really blew his secret storyline when he talked to an Irish journalist during the week before Sunday August 16th 2015, when she later betrayed Emmerdale completely by publishing the written words 'Michael and Anthony are busy boys on-set these days after the fall-out from the wedding revelations continue for Pete and Ross'. This could really be the worst storyline leak in Emmerdale's history.

The alarm bells were ringing very loudly for me by August 20th when Mike Parr's Twitter comments just didn't add up and he was clearly (to me anyway) being ambiguous, even totally deceitful:

Telly Watcher posted on August 20th 2015:
    >
    Here are some Twitter posts Mike Parr has made about Ross since he got 'killed off' on August 6th.

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 6
    >
    Cheerio Ross!!! You caused some trouble in that village lad!
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: Cheerio Ross!!! You caused some trouble in that village lad! But Ross is going to be back in a while to cause even more!)

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 6
    >
    Michael Parr retweeted Duncan Foster

Giz a job. In all honesty I've never been prouder to be part of a piece drama. Thank you for your guidance x

Michael Parr added,
    Duncan Foster @duncanfo
    @MikeParrActor you were superb mike. Catch up soon. C
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: Giz a job. In all honesty I've never been prouder to be part of a piece drama. Thank you for your guidance x. But I'm laying low for a while but I'm still on Emmerdale soon in the future and need something in the meantime to tide me over.)

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 7
    >
    I forgot how much auditions absolutely suck.
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: I forgot how much auditions absolutely suck. But I like to see what else is around that might pay better and add kudos points to my CV. Whatever happens on this, Ross is coming back on Emmerdale in due course, as the pay, working conditions and banter between me and fellow actors are just awesome.)

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 14
    >
    Off to London now. Got a new job, can't say what it is but when we start rehearsals I'll let you know.
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: Off to London now. Got a new job, can't say what it is but when we start rehearsals I'll let you know. It's only a short fixed-term contract thing, maybe part-time for now, but I want to see what else is around that might pay better and improve my CV. Whatever happens on this, Ross is coming back to Emmerdale in due course.)

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 17
    >
    Michael Parr retweeted Loz Wuz

It's been overwhelming. Thank you so much to everyone who signed. Very proud to have worked with Kate Oates

Michael Parr added,
    Loz Wuz @LauraWoollin
    You must be pretty chuffed if you're an actor that leaves a show and people start a petition to get you back @MikeParrActor
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: It's been overwhelming. Thank you so much to everyone who signed. But the petition wasn't necessary really. Looks like the people up North, especially around Yorkshire (where Emmerdale is filmed and I'm known really well) and Merseyside (where I come from, that's St Helens, mert) knew all along that I haven't left Emmerdale but to suggest this really helps to keep viewers glued to Emmerdale episodes on the TV and keeps viewer ratings high until I come back as Ross. Very proud to have worked with Kate Oates. But our professional relationship isn't over yet, she's a really great boss and I'll be seen in Emmerdale on TV in the not-too-distant future, you'll see later.)

Michael Parr ?@MikeParrActor Aug 18
    >
    Bailey....can't find you on here. Quinny finally gave me your presents. Thank you so so much, not necessary but I'extremely generous x
    >

>>Telly Watcher: (This could mean: Bailey....can't find you on here. Quinny finally gave me your presents. Thank you so so much, not necessary but I'extremely generous x. I haven't left Emmerdale really, you've wasted your time and money getting me presents though as I'm back on Emmerdale on TV really soon, just you wait and see.)

Source: https://twitter.com/MikeParrActor/with_replies

Adlibs by Telly Watcher ;)

In all seriousness though, what I'd really like to read is something very definite about Ross on Emmerdale from Mike Parr, with no ambiguity at all.

For example, Twitter post "Very proud to have worked with Kate Oates."

Here are two possible instances for what this could really mean, if a definite unambiguous statement was made.

1)
    Very proud to have worked with Kate Oates. I had a great time on Emmerdale from 2013-2015 but my Ross character was killed off, I am no longer one of the Emmerdale cast and I now have a full-time job in London which involves rehearsals until the show begins later this year. I am also playing the role of 'G' in the next instalments of the film 'Dark Ascension'.

or,

2)
    Very proud to have worked with Kate Oates. I hope that I can give much more to Emmerdale, the future looks really exciting for Ross and the latest script is terrific. Anthony is such a great guy to work alongside and the rest of the Emmerdale cast are a great laugh and we have great banter between us, especially between me, Kelvin, Danny and Adam.

I suppose that time will tell what happens next.
    >

Source:
    http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...721#post828721

My view on this is that Bob and Harriet have been growing closer together lately. Rescue stories often make emotional bonds happen between two people, and the prison/court storyline for Bob and Harriet is a good example of this. Add in that Brenda did shop Bob to the police, and that Ashley is difficult to manage at times, so it could be that a Bob/Harriet relationship might develop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (05-09-2015)

The Sun's TVbiz extra magazine published some Emmerdale Christmas spoilers on 22/09/15:
    >
    The Dingles are destined for a traumatic Christmas, with heartbreak on the cards for Zak and Lisa.

It's not all doom and gloom, though, as barmy Bernice throws a glitzy New Year's Eve bash at Home Farm and, in typical Dales fashion, it promises to be a night to remember.
    >

I suppose there may be some amount of teasing included in these but maybe the suggestions are that:

1) Belle may find herself pregnant due to her relationship with Kirin (the signs are that Kirin and Belle first sleep together on September 29th?).

2) Bernice is still dating Lawrence by New Year's Eve. Maybe they get engaged then? Plus, it suggests that Lawrence is still at Home Farm by then and isn't involved with Robert's shooting or that he is still being investigated/on bail for it.
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 23-09-2015 at 10:26.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (23-09-2015), lizann (23-09-2015), sarah c (23-09-2015), tammyy2j (23-09-2015)

zak and joanie affair

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    zak and joanie affair
    FGS ... Can´t the sriptwriters think of anything else but to ruin relationships by making partners have affairs ???? Sick to death of it

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (23-09-2015), tammyy2j (23-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    zak and joanie affair
    I really hope this doesn't happen. I can't find any spoiler evidence right now of a probable Zak-Joanie relationship. If anything, Zak seems so happy with Lisa, and Zak-Lisa really seems like a stable relationship to me for now. The characters to watch for the big storylines soon seem (to me for now) to be the 'young guns' who come in quick, have big storylines, and then burn out as quickly as they came (e.g. young Lachlan?). But this is Emmerdale and soapland, of course, and relationships there are just like musical chairs. So maybe long-term Emmerdale character Zak really does (finally) be disloyal to Lisa, I really don't think this will happen at this present time, however, and see Zak as a long-term Emmerdale character. For me, Joanie seems to be just an Emmerdale extra right now and is soon disposable, just like Lachlan seems to be.
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 23-09-2015 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Telly Watcher View Post
    I really hope this doesn't happen. I can't find any spoiler evidence right now of a probable Zak-Joanie relationship. If anything, Zak seems so happy with Lisa, and Zak-Lisa really seems like a stable relationship to me for now. The characters to watch for the big storylines soon seem (to me for now) to be the 'young guns' who come in quick, have big storylines, and then burn out as quickly as they came (e.g. young Lachlan?). But this is Emmerdale and soapland, of course, and relationships there are just like musical chairs. So maybe long-term Emmerdale character Zak really does (finally) be disloyal to Lisa, I really don't think this will happen at this present time, however, and see Zak as a long-term Emmerdale character. For me, Joanie seems to be just an Emmerdale extra right now and is soon disposable, just like Lachlan seems to be.
    Zack has already been unfaithful to Lisa- when
    he had cancer -with the wife of one of his "friends"!

Theres been nothing explicit said about Zack
    &Joanie-just linking of names and some
    interaction.
    Thats usually enough in Soaps. It usually
    done just to.stir things up and give characters
    a storyline.
    Its one of the old faithfuls like unplanned
    pregnancies and paternity disputes!

Not necessarily a deep and meaningful
    relationship and often between ill-matched
    people. Which is why viewers can get exasperated.!!
    So if it happened wouldnt be long lasting necessarily!

The actor playing Zack.has had some longish
    breaks( at his own request) in the past-
    perhaps requested another?
    Last edited by maidmarian; 23-09-2015 at 16:03.

dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 23-09-2015 at 16:00.

I don´t care whether it is long lasting or not, I just wish the scriptwriters would stop their characters cheating on each other all the time, it is getting more than boring and I am fed up with love triangles and the inevitable unexpected pregnancy and who is the daddy storyline ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (23-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I don´t care whether it is long lasting or not, I just wish the scriptwriters would stop their characters cheating on each other all the time, it is getting more than boring and I am fed up with love triangles and the inevitable unexpected pregnancy and who is the daddy storyline ...
    I think.you are probably in the majority.
    It is boringly predictable and usually
    badly written and acted!!
    Perhaps its meant to be shocking- but more
    often nauseating !!

I had thought the heartbreak.for Zac and Lisa
    was perhaps connected to Belle -if her relationship
    with Kirin goes wrong!! Rather than an affair
    -as already done that Zac but ...........

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-09-2015)

dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 23-09-2015 at 18:10.

Thread Information