Thread: Broadband dropouts

Broadband dropouts

Hi Folks,

My broadband keeps dropping out for no apparent reason. This is the set up I have:

Capture.PNG

Wired to the PC, wireless to the laptop. It happens on both computers at the same time so its not a simple wireless signal problem. It goes on for about five minutes, at which point I get frustrated and turn the route off for a few seconds. This usually resets it and the internet starts working again. During the five or so minutes, I can disconnect and reconnect, it displays that its connected to the internet but pages won't load in Chrome and IE.

Its happened a few times over the past week but it happened twice today, this morning and about an hour ago. I shouldn't need to keep resetting the router twice a day; its an inconvenience at best. There's no predicting when it will drop out and there doesn't seem to be a trigger.

Has anybody got any solutions?
    Thanks CrazyLea

I'm not a technical person but.. you might need a new router? When we've had problems with our internet dropping out its always been problems with the router.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

The router is only about a year old though. Well I say that, it came from TT free so it could be a reconditioned one.
    Thanks CrazyLea

True. Our router worked alright until AOL sent us a new one. It was terrible, kept dropping out but they refused to send us another one so we just stuck the old one back! Even if its not a very old one anything could've gone wrong, you can never tell with electrical things. Perhaps its worth taking it to a computer repair shop and asking if its fixable. Saying that though, you can also buy them from Currys etc for about £30 +.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StarsOfCCTV For This Useful Post:

Abigail (08-08-2010)

This is true, electricals are not my area of expertise so I couldn't diagnose it myself even if I opened it up (which will probably void the guarantee/return and replacement to TT). I'll wait to see if Alan has any thoughts/suggestions as he's helped with my previous computer issues and if not I'll pop down to the computer shop this week.

It doesn't really bother me as I'm going back to uni in a few weeks but my mother will be on the phone to me as soon as the connection drops out. She needs a fully illustrated diagram with colour to find anything on the computer
    Thanks CrazyLea

I was having great problems with my router dropping out every few minutes. I did a factory reset on it which didnt help. In the end up I reset the SSID and its now going better than evere.

How do I reset the SSID?
    Thanks CrazyLea

You need to go into your modem settings.

On windows 7 click on start menu

Click on computer

click on network and you should see your modem

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Abigail (09-08-2010)

Thread Information