Thread: Friend problems

Friend problems

OK bear with me this may be a long one but advice needs please or opinions..
    My eldest is 8 and has been friends with a boy for several years at school but just recently he has kinds outgrown him.My son used to be quite shy but all of a sudden he has 'grown up' and is football mad,always playing it etc.This other boy is extremely shy and had only my son for a friend.
    They havent played at school with each other for about a year as mine plays footbal at break and this boy isnt in to football or any sport,he barely speaks if im honest because of his shyness.
    Anyhow im also very good friends with his mum,she has only just noticed jordan( my son) doesnt want to go around there house etc anymore as they just arent in to the same things.She feels the only friends her son did have (mine and another boy) jordan has 'taken away' fro him which just isnt true.
    She basically ignored me all of last week because of it and was just being plain rude when i was trying to talk to her.Jordan spoke to her and she didnt reply to him! I decided id had enough to day,flew her an evil look and ignored her as she walked by and spoke to someone else,she obviously couldnt stand me doing it back to her so she texts me saying jordan has made her son sad etc and he is so unhappy blah blah...
    ive tried to explain jordan still likes her son and nothing personal just made new friends and natural progression etc but shes getting well narked and i really dont understand why she would want to fall out over somthing so silly.
    What on earth do i say to her in the morning? Is it me in the wrong or her?
    There are a few more details to the long.. story but i expect if you are reading this you are bored already ha ha..

No your not in the wrong, you cant help it that your son had changed, I think she is just feeling very protective over her son and probably upset for him too, but you really cant help it and neither can she, people chnage all the time and have different intrests. I think its just different when your younger, cos you tend to hang around with people of simillar intrests and stuff, well I did. But when you get older you understand that it doesnt matter about having everything in common and inerests, and that you can still hang around with each other.
    but your are not in the wrong.
    hope what Ive wrote made sense, I soemtimes dont lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbie For This Useful Post:

chance (03-10-2007)

nobody is in the wrong here.. as you rightly pointed out, the kids just don't have the same interest anymore and it is not your son's fault he has found other interests but the other boy hasn't. This other boy's mother is just protecting her son and doesn't want to see him upset. No talking to you is just her been childish but you can't make your son stop playing football just cause another child wants him as a friend.
    Super Mod

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

chance (03-10-2007)

There is nothing wrong with a child out growing his friends and finding new hobbies. Maybe this woman needs to find a hobby or activity after school that he will enjoy like joining the cubs, or karate. Something that will give him some confidence and help him make more friends.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

chance (03-10-2007)

Thanks for all the advice guys,sadly i think ive lost a friend,we spoke today but she was very strained and 'off '. I know she is being protective over her son and looking out for him which we would all do but i just dont understand why she;s blaming me? We havent meant to hurt her son on purpose or anything.Never mind,its just so silly though.

I suppose if Jordan was this only boy's friend and he finds it difficult making friends then his mum will do anything she can to keep them friends. No mother likes to see their child unhappy or standing alone at breaktime.

If she can't understand that children drift apart and move on then she can't have experienced that herself.

A few years ago I used to drift apart from friends quite often for various reasons, mainly because we had different interests and just didn't see much of each other and we grew up at different rates. Sometimes you have to move on to new pastures and make yourself happy.

Thread Information