Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think my drinking is getting out of control.......

Leicestershire in the middle of the United Kingdom

I think my drinking is getting out of control.......

I was wondering if anyone could help I'm worried my drinking is getting out of control I don't drink much in the week but when I go out I drink alot I know I'm a binge drinker and I know the health warnings but I can't help myself I just do it, not even for fun now but just to get drunk I won't go home until I'm really drunk and I'm scared something bad is going to happen while I'm out or I'm going to get ill but I can't stop................
    Thanks Jessie Wallace For My Fab Banner

enjoy life while your still young! its when you drink everynight that you start to worry!! when i was young i used to get bladdered every fri/sat night!
    i have woke up on a bench and in shop door ways a few times!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Beckett_Lover
    I was wondering if anyone could help I'm worried my drinking is getting out of control I don't drink much in the week but when I go out I drink alot I know I'm a binge drinker and I know the health warnings but I can't help myself I just do it, not even for fun now but just to get drunk I won't go home until I'm really drunk and I'm scared something bad is going to happen while I'm out or I'm going to get ill but I can't stop................
    Well being a professional drinker and owning pubs. I best help you out? Can I ask how you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Beckett_Lover
    well if you think you have a problem its good youre asking for help. maybe just try not to go out every week and stay in instead, that way you wont drink? or only take enough money with you for a few drinks, that way you wont get drunk? other than that im not really sure what to suggest, but to be honest, i dont think youre drinking is too bad, people i know get drunk every single night and start drinking at about 2pm lol!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Quote Originally Posted by di marco
    well if you think you have a problem its good youre asking for help. maybe just try not to go out every week and stay in instead, that way you wont drink? or only take enough money with you for a few drinks, that way you wont get drunk? other than that im not really sure what to suggest, but to be honest, i dont think youre drinking is too bad, people i know get drunk every single night and start drinking at about 2pm lol!
    Drinking at 2pm I start sometimes when I get up off a morning, it somehow gives me enough energy to cope with the rest of the day, its not good, but its how I cope at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humphries
    Drinking at 2pm I start sometimes when I get up off a morning, it somehow gives me enough energy to cope with the rest of the day, its not good, but its how I cope at the moment
    yeh but this is everyday they start at that time, sometimes earlier but they never start later than that!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

I start everyday di marco ! Usually get up at 6.30 go straight down to the bar and have a large scotch ! Have done for the last 18 months then have usually start drink wine from 10ish

to be honest i drink alot too i always go out on weekends and i drink through the week but its only now and again when i get really really drunk where i don't remember. try drinking bottles like wkd, smirnoff ice and that they don't really get u drunk.

I only drink occasionally at friends parties, i'll have a bottle of alcohol and that's once every few months lol!

Quote Originally Posted by crazygirl
    enjoy life while your still young! its when you drink everynight that you start to worry!! when i was young i used to get bladdered every fri/sat night!
    i have woke up on a bench and in shop door ways a few times!!
    Sensible advise I see.

From British Liver Trust

When you drink alcohol it is quickly absorbed directly into the blood stream from the stomach and upper part of the gut (small intestine). The absorbed alcohol then passes through the liver and subsequently into the blood stream where it reaches all organs in the body. Although most tissues are capable of breaking down alcohol, this is mainly carried out by the liver, where alcohol is eventually converted into water and carbon dioxide, which is removed through the lungs.

Since the liver sees the highest concentrations of alcohol, it is one of the organs in the body most prone to developing alcohol related problems. However, alcohol also causes toxic effects on other organs in the body including the brain, heart, muscles and pancreas.

Almost all excessive drinkers will develop the first stage of alcoholic liver disease fatty liver. This is a ‘side-effect’ of the liver breaking down alcohol into carbon dioxide and water. Fatty liver disappears when patients stop drinking excessively. If patients continue drinking excessively then a proportion (around 20-30%) will develop the next stage of alcoholic liver disease - alcoholic hepatitis. In this condition, the liver becomes inflamed and in its extreme form, patients can die of liver failure.

An even smaller proportion of patients (around 10%) will develop a permanently scarred and damaged liver (cirrhosis), if they continue to drink excessively.

Why certain heavy drinkers remain at the stage of fatty liver and others progress to alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis is not known at present, although undoubtedly, the more you drink and the greater the frequency and duration of heavy drinking, the more likely you are to develop the more advanced forms of disease. Recent evidence suggests that being overweight increases the risk of developing serious alcoholic liver disease and as yet largely unidentified genetic (inherited) factors may also be important.

Other harm caused by alcohol

Excessive drinking can also cause:
    • stomach disorders

• pancreatitis leading to diabetes
    • high blood pressure

• heart muscle damage leading to heart failure
    • strokes

• cardiac rhythm disturbances

• sudden cardiac death

• vitamin deficiencies

• sexual difficulties
    • problems with the brain
    • depression
    • problems with nerves in the limb
    • cancer of the liver, mouth, throat, gullet, large bowel and breast.
    People seem to have the dumb misconception that they can get a new liver. No, you can't. For a liver transplant to happen, someone has to die, donate their liver and then that liver has to match. The waiting list is huge and guess what? If you're an alcoholic, you're right at the bottom of the list.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meh For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (19-05-2008), Perdita (20-05-2008), Siobhan (07-02-2007)

Thread Information