Page 29 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Episode Discussion II

the scenes between mandy and tony were great yesterday, well obviously not great for them given the circumstances lol but they were good to watch! i know tonys grieving differently to mandy but how horrid was it for him to blame mandy! i sort of felt sorry for joe cos he got ripped off but hes been using a credit card in jez name so its hard to feel that sorry for him
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Haha how funny was it when Sarah just got out the pool

Poor Mandy again.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Far too much Joe and Jez, but the Tony and Mandy scences were great

Thumbs down SIDS storyline inappropriate

I've posted on the rumour mill about this but after Grace's funeral, it's confirmed my belief that this sort of storyline is not appropriate for a soap like hollyoaks. It's supposed to be light hearted. Before Grace's death, there was no warning that this was going to happen. They haven't considered how it might affect parents with small babies, let alone parents who have lost babies. The funeral didn't need to be shown. If you've ever buried your own baby then it was horrific. The story line could be addressed if they really felt it necessary in their crusade to increase awareness of absolutely everything (or is it more a crusade to win a soap award??), but there have been a lot of scenes that are gratuitously upsetting.

I have watched HO from the very start. Pretty people doing funny and silly things. Brilliant. Now it's shamelessly doing what it needs to get awards.

I agree that SIDS awareness is important but not like this.

I sound like a right old grump but if it's just too close to home for me to deal with. Going to start watching EE to cheer myself up!

Lil x

p.s. the acting is brilliant though, especially sarah dunn
    Last edited by lilley; 19-05-2006 at 09:39.

i dont see why its innappropiate, i think that they have dealt with it really well. It has been good to watch, and has let people know that it happens. Its not a crusade to win awards because a small soap like Holyoaks doesnt get the audience and the voters to be able to win awards. All the other soaps have babies dying, so i dont see why this is any different. Nobody complains when its done by coronation street. I dont think Hollyoaks should be known as the soap thats full of pretty people who do funny thing, its better than that. If that is what people want they should watch a comedy show.

Quote Originally Posted by lilley
    I have watched HO from the very start. Pretty people doing funny and silly things. Brilliant. Now it's shamelessly doing what it needs to get awards.
    What on earth are you talking about?? Hollyoaks from the START has always dealt with serious issues and never shyed away from them. Yes, sometimes it is about "pretty people doing funny and silly things" but that is the comic side of the show. On the whole, it's always tackled tough subjects. I don't understand why this storyline has came as such a big shock to you? I for one am glad Hollyoaks are covering Cot Death, it's real to life and is been portrayed and acted out brilliantly. And what do you mean by "shamelessly doing what it needs to get awards." Shamelessly?? Care to explain??
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Red face

Apologies for the harshness of my previous post. Didn't come out as i'd intended. I know that HO is about more that just pretty people etc. I used to watch it as a sort of fullstop to my work day, to clear my head, ready for a lovely evening. Don't watch corrie or emmerdale so i don't know what they do, and EE is notoriously depressing, so i'm always prepared for whatever story lines they throw at me.

I think HO just touched a very painful nerve for me with SIDS. It shocked me and upset me because of personal experience. I honestly didn't see the storyline coming because i thought that the must have put mandy through enough (i'm normally very good at predicting what's going to happen).

I'm honestly not normally a grouch. I think the acting in HO has been exceptional in the past 12 months.

Am i forgiven??

Lil x

The scenes with Mandy and Tony were heartbreaking tonight! Excellent acting again from Sarah Dunn and Nick Pickard! It was sooo sad! Hollyoaks is great at dealing with these sort of storylines! I hope they pick up some awards this year!

the funeral was so sad, i was crying again! the acting from sarah and nick was brill again though. i couldnt help but notice though that clare looked overly happy for someone that was at a funeral! and i think becca should have waited to tell jake about the baby, cos the middle of the funeral was not an appropriate time!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~

Quote Originally Posted by lilley
    I've posted on the rumour mill about this but after Grace's funeral, it's confirmed my belief that this sort of storyline is not appropriate for a soap like hollyoaks. It's supposed to be light hearted. Before Grace's death, there was no warning that this was going to happen. They haven't considered how it might affect parents with small babies, let alone parents who have lost babies. The funeral didn't need to be shown. If you've ever buried your own baby then it was horrific. The story line could be addressed if they really felt it necessary in their crusade to increase awareness of absolutely everything (or is it more a crusade to win a soap award??), but there have been a lot of scenes that are gratuitously upsetting.

I agree that SIDS awareness is important but not like this.

I sound like a right old grump but if it's just too close to home for me to deal with. Going to start watching EE to cheer myself up!

Lil x

p.s. the acting is brilliant though, especially sarah dunn
    i have to disagree with you, i think its good that hollyoaks are covering this topic as well as the other serious issues they have dealt with over the past year or so. yeh hollyoaks can be lighthearted at times, which is good as that makes it different from other soaps that are always depressing, but it should also show serious issues and it does these really well. dont get me wrong, im sorry that youve had a personal experience so this storyline has upset you, but other storylines might upset other people who have experienced them (like the date rape one for instance), soaps cant not show things just cos it might affect someone watching it (sorry if that sounds harsh, as it wasnt intended to be)
    ~x~Tizzy~x~

Thread Information