Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nathan Curtis (Christopher Harper)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Bethany spots Nathan lurking at the reconstruction of Lauren's last known movements and her mind is thrown into overdrive.

Initially believing Nathan was still behind bars, she is shocked to discover he was released from prison some time ago and is working on a building site nearby.

Knowing his history with young girls, Bethany worries that Nathan could be behind Lauren's suspected murder. Determined to get some justice for Lauren, Bethany is forced to confront her abuser.
    No she isn't forced to confront him! Just go straight to the police.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

lizann (29-04-2024), parkerman (29-04-2024)

i can't believe he is out already

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...urtis-changed/

Coronation Street returning star Chris Harper has weighed in on Nathan Curtis' comeback to the cobbles.

Nathan has returned to Weatherfield amid the disappearance of Lauren Bolton, prompting Bethany Platt to try and connect the dots. In a 2016 storyline, Bethany was abused by Nathan, who groomed her for prostitution before she reported him to police.

Now, he's back in town after being in prison, and he doesn't seem to have shed his old ways, as Harper explained.

"I really don't think prison has reformed him in the slightest. In some ways, I think he's even more clever and more manipulative," the actor said.

"He's hardened, he's aware that he can take a kicking and he's aware of the advantages of getting other people into trouble, so he plays people off against the law."

The soap star said his character is always "on the lookout for more opportunities to exploit".

"Give him half an inch and he'll take a mile. He will spot weaknesses in people and capitalise on them for his own ends," he said. "I think if anything he's got even better at that."

Being back means he's well aware he could run into Bethany, and he soon realises that she's gotten stronger thanks to her support network and that it wouldn't be easy to manipulate her this time around.

"I think he tries to stamp his authority and it doesn't work as well as it did, and that catches him off guard momentarily," Harper said.

"She's definitely grown up. She's been through a lot, but she's been lucky enough to be supported by family and friends and there's a strength she can find in that, so even when she's faced with the snake, she can stand up to it a bit.

"He's not used to that, so not being able to push her over anymore means he'll move on pretty quickly. But I imagine he'll spend a lot of time loitering and making his presence felt."

As to whether Nathan has anything to do with Lauren's disappearance, Harper didn't shut down the possibility of his baddie being involved in some capacity.

"All the signs are there ? the similarities in Lauren's behaviour before she disappeared, her vulnerability, all really ring bells with what Bethany went through," he said.

"It wasn't so long ago that Bethany was at a petrol station on a motorway about to be smuggled over to Europe, so we know that Nathan's ruthless and things could have been even worse for Bethany.

"I think if you watch that slippery slope, you recognise the behaviour. You recognise the situation she was in, and it could definitely be Nathan who's been involved in one way or another."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...eturn-details/

Coronation Street has confirmed the full story details for evil Nathan Curtis's return.

The soap recently revealed that the character, who previously abused Bethany Platt and has been behind bars, will be back as part of the Lauren Bolton disappearance storyline.

Further details about his reappearance have now been unveiled, with scenes airing next Wednesday (May 8) and Friday (May 10) seeing Bethany shocked to spot Nathan in a crowd who gather to watch a police reconstruction of Lauren's last known movements.

Bethany struggles to keep her emotions in, and Daniel returns home to find her in a state of distress. She admits she thinks she saw Nathan at the precinct, though Daniel assures her that he is still in prison and that her mind is playing tricks.

Later on in the week, Bethany shows Daniel a video of the reconstruction, pausing to show him a close up of Nathan to prove that her mind isn?t playing tricks.

She heads to the police station, where DS Swain confirms to Bethany that Nathan was recently released from prison, before Bethany urges her to bring him in for questioning as she's convinced he's Lauren's murderer.

Bethany and Daniel manage to track Nathan down after learning that he is working on a building site nearby. She comes face to face with Nathan as he comes round a corner, before Bethany accuses him of murdering Lauren.

Speaking recently about whether Nathan is involved in Lauren's disappearance, returning star Chris Harper said: "All the signs are there ? the similarities in Lauren's behaviour before she disappeared, her vulnerability, all really ring bells with what Bethany went through.

"It wasn't so long ago that Bethany was at a petrol station on a motorway about to be smuggled over to Europe, so we know that Nathan's ruthless and things could have been even worse for Bethany.

"I think if you watch that slippery slope, you recognise the behaviour. You recognise the situation she was in, and it could definitely be Nathan who's been involved in one way or another."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (03-05-2024)

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...nathan-future/

Coronation Street star Chris Harper is perhaps best known for his role as evil Nathan Curtis, at the core of one of the ITV soap's most hard-hitting storylines. But now, the actor is taking to the stage this autumn in a new touring production of the celebrated play Art.

Chris stars in the play alongside comedian Seann Walsh and The Crown's Aden Gillett. The trio play three old friends who end up in a debate about the blurred lines between art and reality, following the purchase of an all-white painting.

We recently caught up with Chris, as he explained what audiences can expect from the new production, originally written by Yasmina Reza and directed by Iqbal Khan ? with tickets available to buy here.

"It's a play about three close friends being long-term friends who suddenly realise that they're not all on the same wavelength," he said. "They're not in the same echo chamber. They disagree massively on some really fundamental aspects of each other?s lives, and the cracks not only begin to show, but rip open.

"They're in love with each other, like family, but they suddenly find themselves furious with each other, and they just don't have the vocabulary to deal with it. They don't have a way of expressing themselves."

While Art was originally performed three decades ago, Chris argues that it still resonates with audiences today.

He said: "These days, you can be so angry with people who you care so much about. I think people in the audience will be looking at it and spotting arguments that they've either been in or have wanted to be in but didn't have the guts to.

"I should be telling you it's really funny. But we're right in the middle of rehearsals right now, and we're digging out all the blood, all the anger, all the upset. And it's brilliant."

As the play tours around the country, kicking off in Poole this week and finishing up in Sheffield in October, Chris is full of praise for his castmates. He said: "I've known Aden for years. I've toured with him before, and Seann's an absolute genius. It's brilliant to work with him."

Earlier this year, Nathan made a dramatic return to Corrie after his prison stint for his grooming of Bethany Platt. His reappearance on the cobbles was a shock to not only viewers but to Chris himself.

"Coronation Street is not a place for the journey of a paedophile to recover and become loved," he said. "That's not a thing you should be doing on a soap. And so, I was absolutely adamant that if Nathan ever came back, then he mustn't be forgiven. But I did also know that it was about time he would be coming out [of prison], so I did wonder.

"But when I got the call from the producers, it smacked me sideways. I was shaken, because the story was so emotional at the time, and it made such a difference to my life, the people I met through it. So, coming back to Nathan was quite an emotional journey for me, to be honest."

He continued: "I knew it mustn't be cathartic. We mustn't let him off the hook. He's done his time, and he thinks he should now be free to go and do what he wants. But he comes out, and he hasn't changed. He carries on doing exactly what he?s always wanted to do. So he deserves to go back down, frankly!"

Nathan is now back in prison, but this time for a crime he didn't commit, with Kit planting evidence to frame him for attacking and abusing Lauren Bolton.

While Joel Deering's eventual downfall might lead to his release from prison, Chris has confirmed that viewers won't be seeing Nathan again on screen, at least for now.

"No, I'm definitely not going back," he said. "But never say never, I suppose! I genuinely do not want him to have a forgiveness arc. So, I don't know why he'd keep coming back to Weatherfield. It's Bethany?s journey, not his. It's got to be about Bethany's life, and I think he's done his time.

"But if you could get Sally Wainwright to write something between Joel and Nathan, and it was past nine o'clock, I think it would be worth doing!"

As well as his new Corrie stint, Chris has appeared in several episodes of Call the Midwife since 2023, appearing as Trixie Franklin's twin brother Geoffrey ? a role that he will reprise again in the upcoming festive special.

"It's like being welcomed into royalty, it's amazing,? Chris said. "And they're really lovely, it is genuinely like a family ? all the good sides and the bad sides of being a very tight family. And I absolutely adore being treated like a regular [cast member].

"He's so useful to Trixie in her time of need, but he's also making friends with the nuns. I love the story. I love who he is. I love the fact that he's a helper. I'm in the Christmas episodes. I'm loving it, and the other actors in it are just gorgeous."

Reflecting on the different characters he has played recently, Chris said: "I've been incredibly lucky. I'm just incredibly fortunate, because it's tough in the acting world at the moment.

"What's happened is Nathan's come out of prison [in Corrie] as Geoffrey's arrived to help Trixie in Call the Midwife at the same time, and the 30th anniversary of Art has come up. So, I'm immensely lucky."

So he is still in prison... will he leave Weatherfield once discharged as I imagine Joel will take his place in the food queue before long.... another unfinished storyline, no explanation what is happening with the character??

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    So he is still in prison... will he leave Weatherfield once discharged as I imagine Joel will take his place in the food queue before long.... another unfinished storyline, no explanation what is happening with the character??
    yes still in prison as kit planted evidence but you'd think nathan would lodge an appeal as his solicitor responsible

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    yes still in prison as kit planted evidence but you'd think nathan would lodge an appeal as his solicitor responsible
    His solicitor is Joel, I think.... not going to get much help from him...

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    His solicitor is Joel, I think.... not going to get much help from him...
    i meant his solicitor joel was responsible as the real culprit over lauren not nathan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (31-08-2024)

Thread Information