EastEnders star James Bye has asked fans to give him a chance in the role of Martin Fowler.

Martin was played by James Alexandrou from 1996 to 2007, with Bye taking over the role last year.

James Bye as Martin Fowler in EastEnders
© BBC / Kieron McCarron
James Bye as Martin Fowler

Speaking about the recast on This Morning today (March 20), Bye said: "They are enormous shoes as James Alexandrou, who played Martin previously, did such a great job.

"Obviously he was on it for quite a long time, so fans who watch EastEnders are going to still see him and say, 'That's Martin Fowler'.

"I still see him as Martin Fowler. So I can understand that people are maybe upset, although that is probably a bit strong. All I ask is that they give me a chance."

Bye also heaped praise upon actress Lindsey Coulson, who plays Martin's mother-in-law Carol Jackson.

Martin tells Rebecca she should live with Sonia.
© BBC
Martin tells Rebecca she should live with Sonia

He said: "All of the actors on EastEnders are great but some of them are amazing. I was saying before that one of my favourite actresses away from EastEnders, and in it, is Lindsey Coulson. I get to do quite a lot of stuff with her and she is brilliant."

Speaking about Martin's secret, which viewers will see revealed on screen next week, Bye added: "He does have a big secret and that definitely affects the Sonia and Rebecca situation.

"He is just a family man. He goes off the rails but he just wants to be back with Rebecca and have that 2.4 children relationship."