Home and Away stalwart Ray Meagher has said that he has no plans to retire from the soap.

Meagher, who has played Alf Stewart in Summer Bay since the show started 25 years ago, has said that he never gets tired of playing his alter ego.

Speaking to Inside Soap, he explained: "I don't like the 'R-word.' I stay active by walking for an hour around the harbour where we film. And I try to eat healthily, too - well apart from the Curly Wurlies Georgie Parker [Roo] leaves in my dressing room!

"The show is different all the time. Alf's daughter Roo went away and a completely new one came back!

"There have been times when I have wanted to go off and do other things but I couldn't get out of Home and Away."

Meagher also spoke about working with cast members he doesn't necessarily get on with.

"In a cast where there are 20 regulars and lots of extras, you're not going to get on with everyone.

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle
Ray Meagher and Georgie Parker on This Morning

"Sometimes you might not want to do a scene with someone, but once it's done, I just think, 'Right, where are Georgie and Emily [Marilyn]? I want someone I can have fun with."

Meagher recently revealed that the Australian soap will return to its roots.