Emmerdale star Gaynor Faye has revealed that she wants her character Megan Macey to be "a baddie that people love".

Megan makes her debut in the village in Tuesday's (February 21) episode of the soap, arriving at Home Farm after being invited by her half-brother Declan (Jason Merrells).

As Declan is currently making plans for a music festival, he hopes that ruthless Megan will take charge of organising the event - convinced that she has the skills he needs.

Faye told the Daily Record: "As a human being you want to be liked, but as an actress it is much better to play somebody who is a baddie or somebody who is disliked - it is much more interesting to play that.

"I want people to like the character and what she stirs up in the village. A baddie that people love. That's what I am going to aim for."

Discussing Megan's personality, the actress explained: "She's strong and independent and feisty - quite different from the parts I normally play, which are usually mumsy. She's somebody I've always wanted to play, a fiercely independent woman who is used to living and working in a male environment.

"She is a business consultant, who goes in and sorts them out and she takes that no-nonsense approach into her personal life. She can't seem to differentiate sorting out business and sorting out life and she is not good at relationships. I'm hopefully going to be here for a while and cause a bit of mayhem in the village."

Faye has signed a one-year deal with the soap.