Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Kennedy 'in talks' for Corrie return

Kevin Kennedy has announced that he is in talks to reprise his role as Curly Watts in Coronation Street.

The 48-year-old actor claimed that producers want him to make a temporary comeback in the part for the soap's 50th anniversary next year.

Kennedy, whose original Weatherfield stint ran from 1983 to 2003, also suggested that a number of other former cast members have been approached by show bosses in recent months.

Speaking to the Evening Herald, he explained: "I have actually discussed it with them and I'm hoping it will happen next year. They're hoping to bring back a lot of old faces. But at the moment, who knows?

"I would be absolutely delighted to walk down those cobblestone streets again. I'm very proud of what I've done, there's over 20 years of work there and I think all of it is a good standard."

Responding to Kennedy's comments, a Coronation Street spokesperson this afternoon told DS: "There are many, many plans for the 50th anniversary, but it's too early to finalise anything at this stage."

Kennedy previously sparked talk of a return in September when he was quoted as saying that plans for Curly were being "discussed at the highest levels". However, he later attempted to distance himself from the remarks by insisting that "no-one" at the soap had spoken to him.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...ie-return.html

Former Coronation Street star, Kevin Kennedy, who was known to millions of fans as Curly Watts, could soon be making an appearance on RTE soap, Fair City.

The actor has expressed his desire to join the cast of the Carrigstown drama and is hoping to meet with TV bosses early next year to discuss the idea.

Kevin, who was a household name thanks to his many years on the Manchester-based soap, explained how he has a lot of Irish family roots and would like to spend some time working in Dublin, so his two young daughters can get to know their heritage.

"I would love to do Fair City and hopefully something might materialise down the line," he told the Herald.

"If I got a part in it, I'd be happy to move over here with my family for a while.

"I don't get to see it too often but I would love to act in it, I think it's a great show and it would be a great opportunity for me.

"My mum was born in Dublin city, my grandparents are Irish and I have a ton of cousins and relatives living in Drogheda, who used to live in Artane.

"The fruition of that is that I'd like to come back to my spiritual home some day.

"I'm a great believer in genetic belief and I would love my girls to get to know their Irish history," he added.

Meanwhile, Corrie fans could soon be seeing the star, who left the soap in 2003, reclaim his character of Curly Watts.

Kevin explained how he and a host of former characters on the ITV soap are in talks to make a temporary comeback to the Rovers Return to celebrate the programme's 50th anniversary on air, in 2010.

According to Kevin: "I have actually discussed it with them and I'm hoping it will happen next year. They're hoping to bring back a lot of old faces. But at the moment who knows.

"I would be absolutely delighted to walk down those cobblestone streets again. I'm very proud of what I've done, there's over 20 years of work there and I think all of it is a good standard," he said.

"Being in Coronation Street has opened so many other doors for me," he added.

Kevin is set to take to the stage right here in Dublin next January when he and co-stars Brenda Edwards and Jonathan Wilkes take to the stage at the O2 for Ben Elton's hit musical, We Will Rock You.

The soapstar will play the part of Pop in the show and says he can't wait to come to the capital city with his family in the New Year.

"I get to say rock 'n' roll eight times a week -- it's an absolute peach of a part," he said. "It's incredibly funny and very poignant and of course I get to sing one of Queen's biggest songs.

"I'm very honoured to be bringing it to Dublin, my whole extended family will be coming to the O2 for the opening night.

"I've booked 30 tickets so far," he laughed.

Curly returns: Corrie favourite Curly Watts set for comeback as Michael Le Vell scene

Kevin Kennedy has held top secret talks with soap bosses who hope hapless character will bring show “back to its roots”

Corrie’s Curly Watts, who was so popular he drew in an incredible 22 million viewers for his TV wedding, is set for a *sensational comeback.

Ten years after the hapless assistant supermarket manager left the show to the distress of his legion of fans, bosses want to bring back the Curly magic.

Kevin Kennedy, who played the character for 20 years, has held top secret talks with soap chiefs to plan his return.

The 51-year-old actor has made no secret of his wish to be back in Weatherfield, and new Corrie boss Stuart Blackburn believes the character is destined to take the show “back to its roots”.

Self-confessed ex-alcoholic Kevin’s dramatic return could also help plug the hole left by the suspension of long-serving actor Michael Le Vell, who plays *mechanic Kevin Webster. Le Vell, who joined Corrie in the 80s along with Kennedy, has been written out of the show until after his trial for child sex offences. Bosses are believed to have deleted some scenes so he doesn’t appear on the show.

Former Emmerdale boss Blackburn replaced Phil Collinson as executive producer earlier this year and he’s known to be keen on bringing back some of the big names of the past.

Last night a Corrie source said: “Curly is an absolute Street legend. He was *involved in some brilliant storylines. There have been murmurings that he may be in line for a comeback for years, but now it looks like the time has come. He recently had a dinner meeting with Stuart Blackburn and it was *extremely positive.

“Stuart has a real sense of the history of Corrie and has a great deal of affection for some of the older characters. Curly Watts certainly fits into that bracket.

“They sat down and discussed old *storylines and all the new directions they could take the character. Stuart will now speak to the rest of the production crew and when they have their next forward planning meeting they will work out potential plots. If that all goes well they will get him back in and start filming.

“It couldn’t come at a better time. The situation with Le Vell has left them short of an iconic character from that era. Curly would definitely plug that gap.”Unlucky-in-love Curly first appeared in 1983 as a loveable nerd with a passion for astronomy. Most of his storylines were based around his lack of success with women and after numerous failed relationships he finally married Raquel Wolstenhulme, played by Sarah Lancashire. But it ended in heartache.

He was also known for his double act with his Bettabuys boss, randy Reg *Holdsworth, played by actor Ken Morley.

Speaking last January, Kennedy said: “It’s no secret that I would love to come back to the Street, and it will probably happen at some point.”

Le Vell, 48, who has been charged with 19 child sex offences and is due to appear at Manchester crown court on March 20, was yesterday seen at his local pub in Hale, Greater Manchester.

Pals say Le Vell, who has repeatedly denied charges against him, is “upset” at being written out of Corrie. “Michael thought he’d receive a bit more support from the show,” a friend said yesterday.

Sunday Mirror

If true its a pity that he is only being brought back because of someone else's misfortune
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I agree, Alan, but if true, I for one will be glad to see him back ... provided the storylines for him are exciting, explosive and will rock the cobbles ... won't hold my breath though

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I agree, Alan, but if true, I for one will be glad to see him back ... provided the storylines for him are exciting, explosive and will rock the cobbles ... won't hold my breath though
    I agree. I certainly would love to see him back. His double act with Reg was brilliant. He could take over T'Rovers from Stelllaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh. He need a leading role if he does come back

dont mind kevin as curly coming back, but please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O!!!! i dont want reg holdsworth back.
    The People's Channel

Bring back Reg and Raquel as well

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

alan45 (04-03-2013)

Corrie bosses have confirmed that there are no immediate plans to bring Curly Watts back to the cobbles.

Curly was yesterday (March 3) tipped for a comeback after Kevin Kennedy, who played the character, had a meeting with the show's new producer Stuart Blackburn.

However, a new post on the soap's official Twitter account says: "You may have read reports on the return of Curly Watts, but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring him back at the moment."

Kennedy also played down the reports on his own Twitter page, commenting: "Thanks for your lovely messages, yes I had lunch with Stuart, Coro's producer, but nothing is imminent or even definite."

The actor has often expressed an interest in reprising the role of Curly, who was a Weatherfield regular between 1983 and 2003.

Kennedy was also part of the Corrie musical Street of Dreams last year, but the project was shelved after only two shows.

Former Coronation Street star Kevin Kennedy has revealed that he is still interested in returning to the soap.

Tabloid reports recently tipped the actor to reprise his role as Curly Watts, but show bosses later insisted that there were no immediate plans to bring him back.

Speaking on ITV's Loose Women this afternoon (April 19), Kennedy confirmed that Curly is unlikely to return to the cobbles in the near future.

He explained: "I'm afraid that's just a rumour. As far as I know, there are no plans. I had a little chat with the producer, but that was a while ago. You never know, but we'll wait and see.

"I think that if the opportunity came up, then it would be a very nice thing to do. But they're very busy up there. They've got a big cast, so you just have to wait and see what happens."

Reflecting on Curly's exit storyline, the actor added: "He went off to Newcastle in a black cab. They didn't send me to Canada or somewhere like that. Sometimes they ship you out quite far. As I say, you never know in this business. A phone call can change everything."

Curly was part of the soap's cast between 1983 and 2003. He also appeared in spinoff DVD A Knight's Tale in 2010.

Thread Information