Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life after A-Levels

Arrow Life after A-Levels

Is there anyone here that is not heading off to Uni in the upcoming weeks?

I did really well in my A Levels but have decided to not head off to uni right away as I want to work for a year and see where that leads. Anyone else doing the same? Choosing to work then possibly think about heading off for further study at a later time?

My parents have seemed to be supportive that I am doing this but in another breath I can feel their disappointment that I won't be heading off right away to study. If the truth be known I don't know if I really want to head off to study anymore. Right now as I sit here I am happy with what I have achieved so far and I know that my studying isn't over forever but I feel that after so many years of studying- Don't I deserve a break?
    Last edited by GossipGirl; 30-08-2009 at 10:49.

I know plenty of people that didn't bother going to University and are doing better than those that did.

It's not about having a break. You've now reached that point in life where you want to choose your career path. I didn't go to uni till I was 21 and have zero regrets.

I'm thinking of waiting a while I feel when I eventually head to uni if ever I will be a better person then if I head off now.

M cousin went and hated his course and only went straight after uni as that was what he thought he had to do as everyone else was. He ended up quitting at Christmas and got a job in ASDAs, he went back to a local uni a 2 years later after deciding on the course he really wanted to do.

I think waiting is a much better option. At least it goves you time to think about what you really want to do.

On the other hand...

My friend finished her A levels last year, got good grades and decided to get a job instead of going to uni. I spoke to her a few weeks ago and she regrets not going, for various reasons.

It's up to you at the end of the day what you do. You shouldn't feel obliged to go just because your peers are and you've finished your A levels. Do what's right for you, not your parents.

I have been working for the last 2 years during my A levels and now they are all over I want to try and earn money for myself, have some time for myself to de-stress as I have had other things going on and then maybe head to uni.

I am making my own decisions as I am at the age where I should be able to!

Absolutely, it is essential that you make decisions that are right for you and you shouldn't be influenced by your peers.

For some people a few years in the real world motivates them to work harder at uni, of others they find another path that suits them better and decide that uni is not for them

For some a gap year is a disaster becouse they lose the study ethic that they built up during their final years ar school and they end up dropping out.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

I feel for me another year working in the real world of working is what I need. I have plans to travel in this year off and I will be keeping my self in close contact with studying as I have a volunteer job at the weekends helping young ones to read.

Some of my friends I have spoken to are heading off to uni for the lifestyle then for the studying ethic for me that is not my main reason for studying!

I waited 17 years before I returned to education to achieve my degree as it was the right time. If I had continued from school I would have went onto the wrong course as I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so I went out to work, but the downside is you get used to money in your purse, which you wouldn't have if you were a student. On the other hand my nephew does not have a certificate to his name but he has a successful web designing buisness and is about to open up his own photography business were he will sell his photos as well as take them. He has had no training in any of these careers he is fully self taught.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thanks for that and I think it has to do with timing. I think I will know when the time is right, It's not like I will be sitting around for a year on my ass for this next year I have a good job at the moment and I could be 'fast tracked' up the career ladder but I am only interested in really saving up enough to go to uni.

Thread Information