Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wuthering Heights ITV1

I didn't watch it as I was watching Without a Trace

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

I found it difficult to get into at the start but persevered. Got a bit confused between Catherine and Cathy but will definitely be watching the 2nd part tonight.
    yes, they've messed around with the timeline to make it more tv-worthy. if you read the book Cathy dies about a third of the way in (not a spoiler since they show Cathy is dead within the first five minutes of the programme) but that would be a bit boring in a tv programme.

its not bad i suppose. a bit glossy to me though; the weather never seems bad enough or the Heights dirty enough.
    I love Wuthering Heights the book (my all time fav) but missed this last night.. but if what you are saying is true, they must be doing the "2nd" half of the book... Most movies I have seen only deal with to when Cathy dies.. (there is a really good black and white version with David Niven if you are interested)..
    Super Mod

I think they dealt with what is a very difficult book to translate to film or tv very well. The original is a bit backwards and forwards timewise and there is also the confusion over who is telling the story, Lockwood or Nelly.

I think most people, who have not read the book and have just seen other films and TV adaptations (not to mention Kate Bush's song) have the impression that Wuthering Heights is just a love story involving the eternal triangle with Cathy, Heathcliff and Linton, but, of course, there is much more to it than that and, as has been said, Cathy dies relatively early on in the novel and the effects of this on the families involved plays a significant role, which is usually discarded.

I think it was a good stab at presenting the book, though even then, much of it had to be excised for the purposes of fitting it in to two 90 minute episodes.

I've watched the two episodes yesterday and today - I actually thought it was really well done. I would say it is a very hard book to adapt to the screen, as I wouldn't call it a love story at all - more like a tragic obsession that consumes Cathy and Heathcliff and acts like a disease, eventually killing them both and I think that's difficult to translate to the screen.

I thought the acting was brilliant though. Heathcliff was just how I pictured him and the woman that played Catherine has to be the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

The only criticism is that they missed parts of the book out, but I guess it's difficult to include everything in such a short time span. I wish we seen some more of the disruptive weather on the moors for example, as that symbolised how Cathy and Heathcliff both clashed against each other and were like forces of nature.
    Last edited by DaVeyWaVey; 04-09-2009 at 15:31.

storms is one of the key points in the books so I don't understand how they left that out...
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    storms is one of the key points in the books so I don't understand how they left that out...
    ditto, it only rained once in the whole thing! there's snow and wind and god knows what else in the book all the time! life at the Heights wasn't grim enough either. in the book is a dirty, dark place.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeyWaVey View Post
    the woman that played Catherine has to be the most beautiful person I've ever seen.
    You can say that again!

Her name is Charlotte Riley.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (05-09-2009)

She was the reason I watched the take on Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Hannelene View Post
    She was the reason I watched the take on Sky

She was excellent in that and Wuthering Heights and Tom Hardy was sensational in both too.

Thank you Jessie Wallace

I know

I hope we see more of them on tv

Thread Information